As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2009 BYOC Info/FAQ (BYOC SOLD OUT!)

1101112131416»

• screaminglemonscreaminglemon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so i missed it. who won the case-mod contest?

screaminglemon on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I forgot to return a laptop lock. [strike]Is there anywhere I can return it while I'm still in town tomorrow?[/strike]

edit- I ended up giving it to the previous information desk, asking it be turned in to BigRed. They confirmed that they would hand it off to him, and I went on my way.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    The room officially closes at 6pm, but if you want to game right up until the omegathon round, go see it, then pack up after its over.
    Everyone *NEEDS* to be out by 7pm, no exceptions.

Ugh. When I saw that Omegathon ended at 6pm and PAX ran until 7pm, I thought this was fantastic news and a significant logistical flaw from years past had been remedied. I planned to do exactly what you suggested here BigRed.

But... Saturday night (well ~2:30am Sunday), the announcer dude told us we had to be out of there by 6pm and suggested we start packing well before that. We wanted to see the final Omegathon round so we felt obligated to pack up and leave BYOC way earlier than necessary.

I wish I had come here and red this earlier, BigRed! I like the way you were thinking about it and I hope it is that way for next year too.

DJBreslin on
  • tunafishtunafish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd just like to think the Intel guys/admins/enforcers who ran everything throughout the weekend, especially those who allowed me to promote my own mini COD4 tourney I had. The result really made my weekend.

-Tuna

tunafish on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so i missed it. who won the case-mod contest?

I don't remember his name but he had a kick ass case. Good lord, it was beautiful. It will be featured on a magazine (CPU?)

It was an impressive mod.

Bigred, The pwnie contest was amazing. Truly amazing.

Viscountalpha on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this was my first BYOC, and it definitly going to be a regular event.
    Thanks to bigred and everyone that looked after it, especially Jason the intel guy with the sweet red tower.

you guys rock!

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yah thanks to BigRed and all the other BYOC enforcers. I honestly don't know what I would have done without BYOC to fall back to between events or just when I needed a little space to call my own.

Even if I didn't get a pony.

Asiina on
    edited September 2009
    I had a great time in BYOC. I got called (via Twitter) for the Pony contest, but I was at the Cheesecake factory at the time. I so wanted a Pony... a pretty, pretty Pony.

DJBreslin on
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First time in BYOC and it was a blast. I loved all the little mini-tournaments, contests, and just overall awesomeness. That and all the people near our group great people too!

Bowser My Little Pony ftw!!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DJBreslin wrote: »
    I had a great time in BYOC. I got called (via Twitter) for the Pony contest, but I was at the Cheesecake factory at the time. I so wanted a Pony... a pretty, pretty Pony.

Bah. when a friend of ours got the tweet for the pony, we booked it all the way up from pike place market. You were close enough to go out and come back with your food still warm. :P

ashridah on
  • meloncolliemeloncollie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ashridah wrote: »

Bah. when a friend of ours got the tweet for the pony, we booked it all the way up from pike place market. You were close enough to go out and come back with your food still warm. :P

Seriously, me too. I ran the hell over from Pike Place up to the Convention Center. :P

meloncollie on
    10th PAXiversary! PAX Prime 2007-2017. PAX BYOC 2009-2017.
    @meloncollie | steam hiokaybye
    edited September 2009
    ashridah wrote: »

Seriously, me too. I ran the hell over from Pike Place up to the Convention Center. :P

I was trying to be kind and leave this out of my original post, but you've left me no choice...

I was taking a shit at the Cheesecake Factory and there was no way in hell I was going to make it back.

Sorry everyone else. D:

DJBreslin on
  • ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    By the by, on the My Little Pwnie contest.

That was great fun. The girl who did the Darth Pwnie was at her first ever PAX, and it really made her weekend. Really gave her a reason to take pictures all over and do a lot of stuff, and she had a blast.

Thanks for doing that contest.

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The contest turned out way better than I had hoped. People really spent a lot of time on the ponies :)

It will probably make a return to pax prime 2010 with a few more tweaks.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The contest turned out way better than I had hoped. People really spent a lot of time on the ponies :)

Awesome. Though I didn't partake I watched the judging and there were some fantastic ponies. I loved Metal Pony and I wish Spitter Pony had won.

I love the fact that there we had a Bestiality Pony. Good ole Pax

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

Awesome. Though I didn't partake I watched the judging and there were some fantastic ponies. I loved Metal Pony and I wish Spitter Pony had won.

I love the fact that there we had a Bestiality Pony. Good ole Pax

I'm sorry Koopa pony was definitely better then spitter pony. Barely-- Just barely. It ended up being a tie initially and then by secret vote 3-2 in favor of koopa pony.

Vader pony was great too. Merlin pony which was the love child of merlin and pegasus, was something else.

the songs and stories and epic poems were insane. People really tried for this contest.

Viscountalpha on
    edited September 2009
    I personally would have voted for spitter pony on the tiebreaker, cause the song was awesome. I gave her an extra intel prize ticket for that.

But I wasnt a judge :P I wanted judges who wernt in PC room and didnt really see much of the ponies throughout PAX and just really witnessed the final product.

BigRed on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Are there photos anywhere? (of the other contestants i mean)

ashridah on
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    YESSS~!!!!

Another chance to get a Pwnie, love it!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My little pwnie did not get the tlc that the others did because I am horribly un-artistic. But it did get signed by tycho, wil wheaton, paul and storm, and molly the uke player. I will definitely bring it back next year for more signatures.

King Nada on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    King Nada wrote: »
    My little pwnie did not get the tlc that the others did because I am horribly un-artistic. But it did get signed by tycho, wil wheaton, paul and storm, and molly the uke player. I will definitely bring it back next year for more signatures.

Star Power just doesn't work for PAX contests. Though that pony could make a good companion for you next year. It would make a cool thing for the Childs Play dinner auction if you get enough signatures too.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited September 2009
    So...
    Question for those who have done BYOC in previous years:

How was the new checkin/out system for this year?

We had the new barcode system this year for tracking equipment. My goal with that was it would take a little longer to check in but it would make checkout WAY faster.

Any areas I could improve it?
    Other misc sugguestions?

BigRed on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So...

We had the new barcode system this year for tracking equipment. My goal with that was it would take a little longer to check in but it would make checkout WAY faster.

Other misc sugguestions?

Much appreciated having barcode stickers I could actually remove from my equipment.
    Two of my cases and a monitor still have residue from the '07 and '08 tags.

The reserved seating was :^::^::^:. Guaranteed space for your friends.

Very nice having swag bags and random goodies magically appear on your chair/around your computer. Made every morning like Christmas.

Had a great time!

Suggestions I would have are:
    1. Quieter announcer, if a complete mute isn't possible. This year was better than '08, though.
    2. Dim/Cut the lights
    3. Really loved the concert/omegathon jumbo-tron you had in '06. Bringing that back would be phat.
    4. Test the network earlier

As for 4, on Friday there was a peculiar strangeness where all CS:Source servers were redirecting to TF2. The network guy (who was overworked, but patient and professional) said it was a problem with the Freeplay network being split off from the BYOC and some setup difficulty. They got it cleared up by Saturday, so no complaints, but that was the first time that's happened at PAX. Chalked it up to growing pains.

Temper my suggestions with the knowledge that you did excellent work, completely justifying why I look forward to this event all year.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Both checkin and checkout took longer. Apparently the DB was messed up or something cause all sorts of random equipment was coming up and it basically came down to "Do you have all your stuff?" "Yes." "Okay, you're checked out." The stickers did peel off easy, which was nice. Also, boxing stuff up to leave the room and then having to unbox it to scan the barcode was a pita. I'm sure it was fine for the locals who brought in Pile-o-Parts but those of us that had to be more organized about got dinged. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited September 2009
    skarsol wrote: »

Both checkin and checkout took longer. Apparently the DB was messed up or something cause all sorts of random equipment was coming up and it basically came down to "Do you have all your stuff?" "Yes." "Okay, you're checked out." The stickers did peel off easy, which was nice. Also, boxing stuff up to leave the room and then having to unbox it to scan the barcode was a pita. I'm sure it was fine for the locals who brought in Pile-o-Parts but those of us that had to be more organized about got dinged. :P

Well you were one of the lucky 5 :P

For some reason with 5 people their collums in the database got all jumbled. No idea why, looking into it though. That certainly wasn't the case with everybody.

Next time we will make it more clear to everyone that they need to have their barcode visible during checkout so they can take that into account on its placement or whatever when they pack up their stuff in boxes.

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    Other misc sugguestions?
    How was I supposed to know about the BYOC websites? I didn't learn of them until late late Saturday night, and even then, only by word of mouth.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    slacktron wrote: »
    So...

Other misc sugguestions?

The reserved seating was :^::^::^:. Guaranteed space for your friends.

Very nice having swag bags and random goodies magically appear on your chair/around your computer. Made every morning like Christmas.

Had a great time!

Suggestions I would have are:
    1. Quieter announcer, if a complete mute isn't possible. This year was better than '08, though.
    2. Dim/Cut the lights
    3. Really loved the concert/omegathon jumbo-tron you had in '06. Bringing that back would be phat.
    4. Test the network earlier

As for 4, on Friday there was a peculiar strangeness where all CS:Source servers were redirecting to TF2. The network guy (who was overworked, but patient and professional) said it was a problem with the Freeplay network being split off from the BYOC and some setup difficulty. They got it cleared up by Saturday, so no complaints, but that was the first time that's happened at PAX. Chalked it up to growing pains.

Temper my suggestions with the knowledge that you did excellent work, completely justifying why I look forward to this event all year.

Reserved seating:
    We are most likely going to go with a hybrid of this year and the way we did things in 08.
    This years system hurt the LAN becuase noshows really ruined attendance. Its beyond me why people would just throw away $30 like that (there were around 50 noshows).

Announcements kind of have to be there, yeah it can be turned down a tad.

We had the lights dimed. I set them to 50% after like 6pm on friday. Anymore and its a little too dark.

Yeah we have been trying to get a concert feed... I keep pushing for it but its just not a high priority and other people dont start thinking about it until its too late to do anything about it, heh.
    I will continue to push for at the very least an audio feed. Video would be neat but might be expensive.

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Other misc sugguestions?
    How was I supposed to know about the BYOC websites? I didn't learn of them until late late Saturday night, and even then, only by word of mouth.

What websites? http://pax <-- that one?

It was announced many times over the mic. I know cause I heard it at the desk outside of the room :P

BigRed on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Other misc sugguestions?

Err, there were BYOC websites?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    skarsol wrote: »
    Other misc sugguestions?

Err, there were BYOC websites?

If so, tell me more of this BYOC website.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2009
    yay my point feels more valid. and yes I'm tlaknig about http://pax/ . Over the mic I kept hearing about "patch" but not about pax until late saturday. Maybe I was mishearing them.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    Yeah http://pax was announced a few times on Friday and Saturday. I don't remember hearing announcements on Sunday (probably because it didn't matter by then).

The intranet site has been at pax byoc for the past few years, next time remember to hit that up first :)

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    soooooo to get things byoc has to offer, just attend for a few years. k.

how about a flyer at check-in that notes certain things?

if it's left at my personal byoc area itself it will just be immediately stuffed into a swag bag. this is why I suggest it being handed out at check-in

i'm sure many didn't know of the byoc twitter that announced many contests and prizes as well

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    soooooo to get things byoc has to offer, just attend for a few years. k.

Uh I didnt say that.

It was also announced many times over the mic.

Additionally, It was also in the BYOC email that went out before the event to all registered attendees, including info about the twitter contests and such.

This was also posted in the PAX forums.

and on the BYOC banner by the door to the room mentioned the intranet site.

Heres the clip from the email, that was also on the forums:
    --- Intranet Information ---

Our local intranet page will be new and improved for PAX 09. From this page we will have various Twitter feeds, a schedule of events and tournaments and map of PAX. In addition, we'll still have the list of servers that are available (and often that info will include which maps and how many players are currently playing). We'll also have a link to our FTP server where you can find demos, patches, and more.

This page will be at http://pax/ (Obviously this link won't work until you're actually at the event).

We already have too much to do during check-in to have to hand out info flyers (dont want to make check-in longer). We can do an info flyer though informing people about the intranet site but its one of those things that would be placed on each seat in advance.

The twitter doesn't really need to be part of that, there has been a twitter feed on the front page of the intranet site for the past couple years, including the blurb in the info email (also was posted here).

The info flyer on each seat as an additional way to get the info across is a good idea that we can look into.

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    would it be too annoying to do that thing that hotels do where when you first connect to the intranet no matter what page you're going to you're redirected to //pax/ ?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    A portal page? Maybe
    Ill poke the person in charge of the intranet site and see

If not then people will just have to read directions :P

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    but there's only 5 different methods you listed for me getting this information! I'm joking now, btw.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.