As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halloween costumes for fat guys

pkoochinpkoochin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So this year my circle of friends has decided that for our Halloween pub crawl we are all going to dress up as comic book super heroes / villains. Now, being a comic book fan I think it's a great idea. The only problem is that I'm a pretty big guy at 5'11" and 270 lbs. Now, I'd really like to dress up but I don't want to look like a fool ala http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/1067877/ .

Now, the only two ideas that I can come up with are Kingpin and The Penguin and I'd really like to make a costume that I don't have to explain. So H/A do you have any suggestions for me?

pkoochin on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Comic Book Guy?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deadpool?

deadpool.jpg

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forkes wrote: »
    Deadpool?

deadpool.jpg

Unfortunately, that's not his primary image, so I think you'd get some odd looks if you went with that one.

The Blob (of X-men antagonist fame) comes to mind, but would quite possibly be over-the-top and suffer the reverse effect (the character weighs 510 lbs., canonically). Depending on which comic you go off of, this could also result in an abominable haircut. He ranges in interpretation from this:
    386754-37186-blob_super.jpg

to this:
    blob-xmen.jpg

Edit: the latter is more classic.

Kingpin sounds pretty amazing if you can pull it off, though.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you could do a proper Kingpin it would be money. Especially if there were some other Marvel characters to enhance the ensemble.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Large heroes and villians?

Blob, Kingpin, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum [batman], The (mostly) Inedible Bulk [Nextwave], The Machinst [Stormwatch PHD], Violator/Clown [Spawn], Humpty Dumpty [batman], Mad Hatter [batman - he is a bit pudgy], Majin Buu [DBZ], and Gluttony [Full Metal Alchimest] all come to mind. All large or fat villians and while some would make better costumes than other should at least give you some options.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not a comic book, but you could be one of the Monarch's henchmen (from the Venture Bros). One of the only instances where being fat and/or out-of-shape is actually pertinent to the costume.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    26695d1242324922-teenager-impersonates-kool-aid-man-saleen-mustang-kool_aid_man.jpg

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If it has to be one that needs no explaination, I'd go with Kingpin or the Blob (maybe get some extra padding if you go this route though - he's gigantic). OR depending on your muscle - fat ratio you might get away with the Hulk.

Oh, and if you do go as the Blob you must yell "YOU CAN'T STOP DA BLOB!" at least once every couple of minutes. It is compulsary.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone already mentioned it, but the first thing I thought of was The Clown from Spawn.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    If it has to be one that needs no explaination, I'd go with Kingpin or the Blob (maybe get some extra padding if you go this route though - he's gigantic). OR depending on your muscle - fat ratio you might get away with the Hulk.

Oh, and if you do go as the Blob you must yell "YOU CAN'T STOP DA BLOB!" at least once every couple of minutes. It is compulsary.

I think it's "NOTHING MOVES DA BLOB!" Juggernaut is the one that you can't stop.

Or, if you want to be completely accurate to the old cabinet X-Men game, it'd be:

"NOTHING MOVES DA-
    NOTHING MOVES DA-
    NOTHING MOVES DA BLOB!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    If you could do a proper Kingpin it would be money.

That's assuming you can pull off purple pants, a white jacket, and gold shirt.

And don't forget your cane.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you've got other people going with you are doing Marvell characters Kingpin would be awesome. If you don't though you're kinda just a guy in a suit.

I actually like the comic book guy from the Simpsons idea. Very recognizable and would be relatively easy to put together too. You'd absolutely have to get the voice down though :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Juggernaut.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    17_herbie.jpg

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not a comic book, but you could be one of the Monarch's henchmen (from the Venture Bros). One of the only instances where being fat and/or out-of-shape is actually pertinent to the costume.

This would probably get you some recognition from mainstream, non-comic book reading folks.

Wasn't The Penguin a fat guy?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alot of people recommending the Kingpin, but you have to have a certain fat body for that. It's weird, but when I think kingpin I think muscular fat. He's more dense I guess. Way different in my mind that comic book guy or blob fat.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    how about a nice Pogo The Clown costume?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is close it's more anime than comic book.. what about Buu from Dragonball Z?

http://images.absoluteanime.com/dragon_ball/buu.jpg

http://www.downloadanime.biz/images/wallpapers/dragonball-z/majin-buu.jpg

Werewolf Gamer on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Penguin is way more recognizable and easier to pull off than the Kingpin.

I do have to second the motion for you to dress up as one of the Monarch's henchmen, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pac Man

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Nite Owl.

Edit: okay, 270 pounds might be a little big for Nite Owl.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Penguin is way more recognizable and easier to pull off than the Kingpin.

Yeah that's probably the best choice. I say go Batman Returns style

Penguin2.jpg

Easy to pull off, vehemently recognizable.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You could also get a stuffed penguin and put a fake rocket on its back to complete the ensemble.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You could also get a stuffed penguin and put a fake rocket on its back to complete the ensemble.

This is pretty much required.

Back to Venture Bros. though, you could easily have a few other friends dress up as various villains from the show. It is more likely to be a conversation starter with strangers, just given the number of people who have seen Venture Bros. versus read X comic book.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanos might be good. Easier than Darkseid I think. Of course, even the big guys in comics are ripped.

thanos.gif

Doesn't get much rounder than Ego.

ego-the-living-planet.jpg

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Thanatos might be good.
    :rotate:

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    kool-aid man had a comic book, you know.

you could use food coloring to paint some marshmellow planets and go as galactus.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg