As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interesting cut/hidden content in games?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the process of trying to complete the monster and skill libraries in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

I recently found out there's a few monster types I can't get at all because they're only available as a release bonus in Japan. Fuckers.

I also don't know if I'm going to actually finish it because I'm at 125 hours of playtime and from some rough estimates I've done I'm only about halfway there from a playtime perspective. I'm basically only playing it due to my PC being broken. D:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did Wind Waker have any cut content? It always seemed like there should've been more dungeons.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    There were some islands and a small mini-dungeon (just a big room, nothing actually 'worked') accessible by Action Replay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CAsoGvL9LY

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    The problem is that Kreia and the Game were in different directions.
    This is what I mean. She was basically preaching moderation and inaction in an action world. It was absurd. What ended up happening to me is that I followed all the darkside shit while somehow maintaining my paragon of virtue/max light side points.

/end derail

Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible that it was done this way on purpose. To show her teachings have a flaw; that you eventually do have to take action one way or the other.

We should continue this in another thread maybe. Not in G&T though, since I'm more interested in the teachings of Kreia (which can be done without Jedism, but it's easier to convey that way) and not necessarily the game itself or the Star Wars universe (in this matter).

/Brief Re-Derail

Just to touch on this, but inaction is pretty much the furthest thing from what Kreia teaches imaginable. The problem is that the game doesn't include many (there are some, but not many) opportunities to act on her teachings and manipulate people for good or ill (she doesn't give a shit which). This is also why I don't really agree that there should have been some kind of bonus for neutrality, she didn't necessarily want you to be neutral. She wanted you to learn to play the long game.

Too bad the game doesn't let you :<

Still much more interesting than the usual "n den u save da universe yaaaay" tripe.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Did Wind Waker have any cut content? It always seemed like there should've been more dungeons.

Yes. You can get to some weird areas using action replay.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2006/07/4796.ars

Couscous on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Saddler wrote: »

Anyway, lots of games have code left over from older ideas, etc. I believe Super Mario Bros 3 actually has a few complete levels that you can access with a Game Genie. They are still programmed in the game, but not used.

Do you have a link to more info about this? I'm searching for the codes that would do that, and not seeing them.

The GBA version of Mario 3 apparently had some unseen content. There were some levels that could only be accessed by scanning the e-Reader cards, and a rather empty hub castle to get to them. Apparently some but not all of the cards were even released, since the e-Reader tanked.

Looks like I might have been wrong about the Game Genie codes, but here's more info about the levels:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_lost.shtml

EDIT: Found another site, scroll to the bottom for codes. Looks like it takes 4 codes, which means if you're doing this on the original NES you're going to have to Daisy chain GGs.

http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/computing/mario3-lost-levels/

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let us not forget the almighty "hunt for the Trifroce" in Zelda 64.

That shit went on for YEARS.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited September 2009

The irony of it all is that the Triforce WAS in OoT......Link, Zelda, and Ganon already HAD it, though.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Call of Duty: World at War apparently had a scrapped British section. I don't have the PC version, but apparently there are a few icons for things like the Bren and Sten hiding there:
    Steniwi.png
    Hud_sten.png

Mechanical on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Metroid II has secret worlds, some kind of bug with pressing select opens holes in the floors.

Links Awakening has that select trick too but it skips you to the top of a screen, allows for some weird sequence breaking.

The secret worlds in Metroid 2 don't technicallly count as hidden or cut content, they're actually the result of the game loading code that's not intended to be level data. In effect you're exploring sound or graphic files.

The select trick in LA is amazing, you could get to some crazy places if you moved the fishing minigame down a screen then talked to him. I seem to remember completing the whole game with Bow-wow in tow too.

Shame they fixed it for the colour re-release.

Bantry on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    It's pretty entertaining how people worship KOTOR2 despite the state that it shipped in.

Pretty much every game could be awesome given enough time and polish, yet it's only okay that it didn't happen with KOTOR2.

Really? I was just thinking the opposite. It's annoying how everyone worships the game that KOTOR2 might have been without appreciating what is there. Every game has some great content that gets cut for one reason or another, yet it's only a big deal with KOTOR2.

It's just that the first KotOR was pretty good, and the sequel was way better than the first, story wise, until the very end.

The mindset I have with KotOR 2 is the same where I can easily deny the existence of anything ouside of the original trilogy and the EU.
    Well, the original Metroid was like that. All those dead ends and shit were supposed to lead to places of significance but they didn't have time to finish, so they pushed it out. People at the time interpreted it as the game being a maze so I guess it worked out to their benefit.

Citation?

Not that I don't believe you, but that just sounds like a curious bit of info to read this morning.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Tell me more.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If Halo 2's campaign had gotten two or three more levels in it, it would probably be thought of a lot more highly. Listening to the commentary on the cutscenes (on the disc that comes with Halo 3: Legendary Edition) is almost painful because every thing they talk about is like a checklist of what I wanted to have been different about it.

Being rushed to fit specific release dates is the worst thing that can be done to a game. I hate that Valve takes for-fucking-ever to release product, but at least I know when they do release it, they didn't cut anything out due to time constraints.
    Is there any way for me to get my hands on that disc nowadays? Developer commentary is endlessly fascinating to me, so it really sucks that there doesn't seem to be any way to get it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man, that new Forge glitch with no-clipping would have been really handy before I started on Platte..

and I haven't heard from the contest guy in the past four days. Starting to worry now. edit: he just replied to my "WTF R U DOIN" email, he's adding up times and will tell me.. wait, I wonder if he went to PAX?

Also apparently Bungie would have to patch ODST to support DLC additions.

Also ALSO, apparently ODST pulls a Zelda and
    has a "second quest" after you beat the game

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PUcu0mBKg

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

This just blew my mind. I never knew about this scene, thanks for sharing!

Now I really want to play Wing Commander again.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Tell me more.

Long story short, in some odd glitch or random occurrence, someone heard the Triforce music playing while they were in the desert in Zelda 64. Along with a questionable inventory screen (Had the Triforce right in the middle but they were "empty.") a long with this video: from advertisments when the game was originally going to come out..... had people going nuts with "research" in hopes that you could obtain the Triforce.

Some time later of course, emulation starts to get really hot and people start ripping the games innards out in feeble attempts to find the "hidden Triforce."

This shit was bonkers for a long time, as people swore up and down it was obtainable, and to do this day people are still trying to find it. There is of course, one video of someone who glitched the game out enough for them to "fly" into a cinematic area, which displays the Triforce....

But the race is still on! There are still idiots out there trying to find the Triforce.... lol.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's pretty entertaining how people worship KOTOR2 despite the state that it shipped in.

Pretty much every game could be awesome given enough time and polish, yet it's only okay that it didn't happen with KOTOR2.

Really? I was just thinking the opposite. It's annoying how everyone worships the game that KOTOR2 might have been without appreciating what is there. Every game has some great content that gets cut for one reason or another, yet it's only a big deal with KOTOR2.

That's so dumb it hurts my brain.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

Yeah, that was one of the dumbest things Origin ever did. I mean, taking out a scene that explains a very important decision one very important character made, a decision that totally confused every single person who played that game? There were so many less important scenes that could have been cut instead...

The official reason for cutting that was not enough disk space.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hotcoffee.jpg

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Why is the sugar cube made out of metal?

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a book at the bottom of the bay (Noki bay maybe?) in Mario Sunshine behind a door you can't open. I remember that was HUGE on gamefaqs for a long time. I don't think anything every really came of it but it drove people nuts for awhile.

I seem to remember seeing some neat unused Mortal Kombat themed basketball hoops made for NBA Jam that never made it into the final game as well (although I think some characters made cameos).

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »

Anyway, lots of games have code left over from older ideas, etc. I believe Super Mario Bros 3 actually has a few complete levels that you can access with a Game Genie. They are still programmed in the game, but not used.

Do you have a link to more info about this? I'm searching for the codes that would do that, and not seeing them.

The GBA version of Mario 3 apparently had some unseen content. There were some levels that could only be accessed by scanning the e-Reader cards, and a rather empty hub castle to get to them. Apparently some but not all of the cards were even released, since the e-Reader tanked.

Actually the level data was on the cards themselves. They weren't stored in the game at all.

Yup. I remember telling people on Anandtech's forums that Wal-Mart was selling the game early and that it had exclusive cards. They responded "someone likes Mario a little TOO much." A few months later, the box and cards ALONE sold for over $300 on eBay. I still have mine...

CZroe on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think all those cards were actually released in Japan, but we just got Series 1. In fact not only did we just get Series 1, but the Wal-Mart release had its own exclusive level, Airship's Revenge. I actually had an online friend send me the card because he bought it there but had no e-reader.

I thought we got two series?
    Pata wrote: »
    Actually the level data was on the cards themselves. They weren't stored in the game at all.

This is why I wished and wished and hoped and hoped that the game would make the GBA Player's Choice, and to my surprise, it didn't. But I had hoped that if they did, then perhaps it could be like that Greatest Hits version of Devil May Cry 3 in a way, and have all that stuff on the cartridge and accessible somehow.

I forget how many times I've bought SMB3, but that would have guaranteed one more. Here's hoping if they ever do a new release, they include all that stuff. It would make a terrific bonus, say, if you beat the game 100%.

Anyway, as for Mario... voila!

Are you kidding? The game DID get released in the Player's Choice series but it had all the e-Reader stuff removed just like the European version. Everyone knows this.

CZroe on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone mentioned the mother fucking ice key?

And all the other cut content from B&K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLbMsbcRnnM&feature=related

I remember people going on about those things long after I'd forgotten, but WTF... o_O

How did it all get resolved, I can't remember. Not bought BK2 on XBLA yet.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone mentioned the mother fucking ice key?

And all the other cut content from B&K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLbMsbcRnnM&feature=related

I remember people going on about those things long after I'd forgotten, but WTF... o_O

How did it all get resolved, I can't remember. Not bought BK2 on XBLA yet.

You have both BKXBLA and BTXBLA.

If you buy BTXBLA, as soon as you make a save it will unlock all the Stop n Swop items/locations in BKXBLA (A Nuts and Bolts save will also do this).

Then you can go back to BK XBLA, collect all the Stop n Swop items, and exit the game.

Then you can take the eggs to Eggy's house in Tooie XBLA to get special stuff for them.

Also you need BKXBLA to get Dragon Kazooie in Tooie XBLA as the only way to get the Ice Key is by going and getting it in BKXBLA.

The N64 cartridges have new bronze/silver/gold eggs in them for Stop N Swop II :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a book at the bottom of the bay (Noki bay maybe?) in Mario Sunshine behind a door you can't open. I remember that was HUGE on gamefaqs for a long time. I don't think anything every really came of it but it drove people nuts for awhile.

I seem to remember seeing some neat unused Mortal Kombat themed basketball hoops made for NBA Jam that never made it into the final game as well (although I think some characters made cameos).

Well, heck if we're going to go into completely unused content, how about the 'mew' truck in the original pokemons?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Well, heck if we're going to go into completely unused content, how about the 'mew' truck in the original pokemons?

I wanted that trick to work so badly.

And now years later, the internet tells me that getting a mew was possible

oh well

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fucking KOTOR 2, damn you profit driven game industy.

Robman on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

I wanted that trick to work so badly.

And now years later, the internet tells me that getting a mew was possible

oh well

It's possible, but it was only discovered years later and is pretty complex.

Edit: Capcom keeps insisting that there is some big secret in Mega Man 9 that no one has discovered yet...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    brynstar wrote: »

Yeah, that was one of the dumbest things Origin ever did. I mean, taking out a scene that explains a very important decision one very important character made, a decision that totally confused every single person who played that game? There were so many less important scenes that could have been cut instead...

The official reason for cutting that was not enough disk space.

Man...it'd be a shame if disc space was the real cause, especially since the scene is only like 90 seconds long and the game was on four discs. It's such a bizarre decision.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If Halo 2's campaign had gotten two or three more levels in it, it would probably be thought of a lot more highly. Listening to the commentary on the cutscenes (on the disc that comes with Halo 3: Legendary Edition) is almost painful because every thing they talk about is like a checklist of what I wanted to have been different about it.

Being rushed to fit specific release dates is the worst thing that can be done to a game. I hate that Valve takes for-fucking-ever to release product, but at least I know when they do release it, they didn't cut anything out due to time constraints.
    Is there any way for me to get my hands on that disc nowadays? Developer commentary is endlessly fascinating to me, so it really sucks that there doesn't seem to be any way to get it.

Look on ebay or something, or see if any stores near you are liquidating Legendary Edition copies really cheap... they're dead weight for retailers now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well this thread has done me the service of making me buy KOTOR 1 & 2 now, so question:

I have a pretty high end Laptop, and an XBOX360 with a 32 HD TV attached.

Which is the better version(s) to buy? (If they're backwards compatible with the 360 I mean)

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The PC version, definitely. The backwards compatibility support on the 360 for the KotORs is terrible.\

However, note that the PC version doesn't go great with modern operating systems and graphics cards either. You might have to do some arcane magic to get it to run, and it'll take some more wrangling to get it to display in widescreen.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I played both and settled for XBOX. Mouse won't really help a lot because the interface isn't too friendly for it. And lying on the couch is by far the best position for gaming =)

EDIT: The above statement does not in any way include thoughts of backwards compatibility issues.

Movitz on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Learning to fly the plane in GTA3 led to some interesting places; mainly the 'ghost town' behind the mountains on the third island. It's just the street from the opening cutscene, and only has a couple tiny blocks that have collision detection. I tried for way too long to land there, died every time.

Ghost Town wheee

Not really hidden or anything, but I thought I was pretty clever when I played Foundation on Halo 2 before most people knew it existed. I copied the game to my Xbox's hard drive and noticed that there was a multiplayer map that didn't show up on the selection screen, so I replaced the name with one of the other maps and hey holy shit a hidden map! Turns out you had to do some weird shit with a banshee or something to unlock it in-game (until Bungie unlocked it with a patch about a week later).

Blakout on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfrWhRI8mE

Can anyone explain what this was? And I quite discovered this on accident 3 days ago, I was FREAKED OUT.

donhonk on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I remember looking at a Pokemon cheats+tricks website, where it had had all this mumbo jumbo at the top about thoroughly testing each and every cheat/trick submitted before putting it up.

Bull-pucky. It only took me a bit of scrolling to find some right porkies, one particular highlight being a cheat to get mew which involved throwing your Game Boy into a furnace and running into incoming traffic.
    I survived, but it left some nasty scars...

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

About this, I'm pretty sure that that book was originally going to be the object in a retrieval quest for a shine. They changed it to red coins, but it was supposedly just going to be to retrieve the book and come back. Getting 8 red coins though allowed for more gameplay in the gimmick bottle and was pretty much the same thing as collecting the book.

Gilder on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I remember looking at a Pokemon cheats+tricks website, where it had had all this mumbo jumbo at the top about thoroughly testing each and every cheat/trick submitted before putting it up.

Bull-pucky. It only took me a bit of scrolling to find some right porkies, one particular highlight being a cheat to get mew which involved throwing your Game Boy into a furnace and running into incoming traffic.
    I survived, but it left some nasty scars...
    080619.gif

Couscous on