As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey Hey You You I don't like your [chat] Thread

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    _J_ is right on this one. Furthermore, the moderates are part of the same disease and share the blame. In their seemingly benign non-involvement or even condemnation of the radical wing of their ideology, they are still giving cover for fundamentalists and are the base of their recruitment. They are enablers and the entire ship has to be brought down together.

I think the cover thing is right, but I don't know about "base of their recruitment".

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now we have to lock this thread. Fuck damnit.

Sarksus on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    I couldn't knowingly tolerate a homophobe

Pony you're bizarre.

Yeah....

"He's a nice guy. We can't hang out Wednesday nights, though, because he has to attend his Klan meeting."

"He's a nice guy. The other night he beat up a gay guy simply because the guy was gay. But, you know, great guy other than that."

"He's a nice guy. He voted for Ron Paul, though."

SRSLY, Pony?!

I'd have a problem with any of those.

But only the middle one would actively cause me to reject a person and completely be intolerant towards them.

The other two? I could tolerate someone like that, so long as they understand why they can't ever speak of such things around me and that I won't tolerate them espousing such ideas in my presence.

So are you expressing tolerance or apathy?

_J_ on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    how do you openly hate jews in this day and age

what the fuck is that even about

Israel?

I wish I could rimshot this. It feels like it needs it.

But it's true.

Not really. Hate the government of Israel, not jewish people.

I was never making a comment on what should or should not be, simply pointing out how.

--

Pony would love my last supervisor's Jew in Oven Jokes and Lazy Black Person jokes and stance that poor people should die and that slavery is okay if it is the Roman type.

Incenjucar on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother is actually a massive racist. It's not a side of him that is seen very often, but he is generally beaten down with extreme prejudice by the rest of my family whenever anyone does.

In some ways I think that's healthier than nobody calling him on it.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Classical religious music is pretty awesome.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Mostly I remembered that BSD was involved somehow, and the two parts have significantly different philosophical approaches.
    Seeing nerds have a raging argument about whether the GPL or BSD licence is the more "free" is the funniest thing.
    Both, depending on what you mean.

GPL is freedom for the user, BSD is freedom for the developer. Everything further is which you feel is more important.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I would say that's tolerance. He's still willing to speak against their viewpoints if they're brought up, he's just willing to recognize that a person is more than one of their (usually multiple) viewpoints.

Passerbye on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother is actually a massive racist. It's not a side of him that is seen very often, but he is generally beaten down with extreme prejudice by the rest of my family whenever anyone does.

My father hates all muslims, he considers them all dangerous about to blow people up people. It's a topic I don't touch, if he wasn't my father I wouldn't talk with him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009

I guess I'm pretty big on hating hippies and protesters.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    I like to think of the Bible as written in two separate parts: The one part which has a bunch of stuff about forgiveness and love

and the other part which is all rules and 'do not divorce' and shit.

I like to think that they only added the second part so that the conservative disciples would vote for it.

There are several separate parts. But they absolutely are not divided on those lines.

There is the obvious distinction between the Tanakh or Old Testament and the new for example. Oddly enough, the textual history of the Old is far better than the new. There does not exist any portion of the NT which has not gone through at least one translation wheras the OT was preserved remarkably well in a range of dialects. This means there is no part of the NT that has not been homoginized and harmized via the translations process.

Even in the NT you have a pretty clear distinction between the 4 gospels (and John is a bit of an outlier) and sort-of-maybe Acts vs. the letters of Paul that might be genuine (the only bits dating prior to The War) vs. the half or so letters of paul inserted in the 2nd century vs the other letters and epsitles vs Revelations (which is exceedinly dubious).

But you will find within those in the same voice and hand the rules and sometimes the love. Paul was the one who wanted to bring the religion to the world and preached a brotherhood of all mankind. Yet he was also exceedingly homophobic. Jesus, in the same gospel, had both the sermon on the mount and the ranting against divorce.

You cannot separate one view from the other in the text. If you want to invent your own religion by cutting out the bits and pieces you like that's your perogotive of course. And a popular choice indeed. But at least be honest with yourself about what you are doing there. What you are choosing to believe has nothing to do with a fiery faith-healer from Nazerith. Or with the older roots in the Rider on the Clouds, YHWH of the mountain.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited September 2009
    Mostly I remembered that BSD was involved somehow, and the two parts have significantly different philosophical approaches.
    Seeing nerds have a raging argument about whether the GPL or BSD licence is the more "free" is the funniest thing.

GPL is freedom for the user, BSD is freedom for the developer. Everything further is which you feel is more important.

I know that. It doesn't stop them arguing over which philosophy is superior. This is why it's so funny.

japan on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Isn’t OS X’s only BSD overlap that it’s based in Mach?
    That's actually where they don't overlap

XNU (OS'x Kernel) is based on Mach 3.0 with the networking stack, VFS layer, POSIX API interface, and some other bits from FreeBSD implemented on top of the Mach primitives.

Mac OS X itself, apart from the kernel, also uses FreeBSD's userland, and Apple employs a number of major FreeBSD contributors
    huh

Glad I posed that as a question, then.

if you're curious, this guy has a hell of a lot of interesting info on the low-level bits of OS X
    http://www.kernelthread.com/

Senjutsu on
    edited September 2009

I would say that's tolerance. He's still willing to speak against their viewpoints if they're brought up, he's just willing to recognize that a person is more than one of their (usually multiple) viewpoints.

Except if he maintains a belief of tolerance "Pro-choice rather than Pro-Life" presumably maintaining that belief would manifest a desire to enact a Pro-choice policy.

If I am pro-choice and you are pro-life and I do not try to change your mind in what sense am I pro-choice?

_J_ on
    edited September 2009
    J, ever girl I ever had a crush on voted Republican.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Also I have terrible tastes in women.

It does matter. When people go beyond their personal beliefs and try and inflict that way of life upon others via the government it matters.

You are basically saying people should never vote.

Look, people are allowed to vote, for whatever, and you can judge them for it, if you like, but the way to combat that is to vote against the things they vote for, not bring them over to your house and systematically destroy their belief system with logic.

I am saying it is right, and just, to judge and argue with at every oppertunity any person who votes in such a way as foster the ruin of other peoples lives.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like to think of the Bible as written in two separate parts: The one part which has a bunch of stuff about forgiveness and love

I like to think that they only added the second part so that the conservative disciples would vote for it.

There are several separate parts. But they absolutely are not divided on those lines.

There is the obvious distinction between the Tanakh or Old Testament and the new for example. Oddly enough, the textual history of the Old is far better than the new. There does not exist any portion of the NT which has not gone through at least one translation wheras the OT was preserved remarkably well in a range of dialects. This means there is no part of the NT that has not been homoginized and harmized via the translations process.

Even in the NT you have a pretty clear distinction between the 4 gospels (and John is a bit of an outlier) and sort-of-maybe Acts vs. the letters of Paul that might be genuine (the only bits dating prior to The War) vs. the half or so letters of paul inserted in the 2nd century vs the other letters and epsitles vs Revelations (which is exceedinly dubious).

But you will find within those in the same voice and hand the rules and sometimes the love. Paul was the one who wanted to bring the religion to the world and preached a brotherhood of all mankind. Yet he was also exceedingly homophobic. Jesus, in the same gospel, had both the sermon on the mount and the ranting against divorce.

You cannot separate one view from the other in the text. If you want to invent your own religion by cutting out the bits and pieces you like that's your perogotive of course. And a popular choice indeed. But at least be honest with yourself about what you are doing there. What you are choosing to believe has nothing to do with a fiery faith-healer from Nazerith. Or with the older roots in the Rider on the Clouds, YHWH of the mountain.

Wow you know a lot about religion.

That's so interesting! I didn't know most of that!

Greeper on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm very laid back and tolerant.

Tolerance of intolerant people is quite odd.

Presumably if you think that a woman has a right to choose and someone else thinks a woman does not have a right to choose...not sure how a friendship would work in that situation.

We don't talk about it?

It's really that simple.

If a person's viewpoints on a subject infuriate you and it's impossible for you to have a meaningful discussion on the subject, the best bet is to just not talk about it.

If they act on those views, certainly that should be opposed and you should totally get all up on their asses about it.

But, for example, I know people who are anti-abortion and I'm still capable of being civil and friendly with them despite the fact that I think their views are terrible.

So long as they aren't like, actively showing up at anti-abortion protests and financially supporting the Right to Life movement or something.

I judge people by their actions, not their professed beliefs. And even with their actions, those are judged by their actual value and importance.

Obviously, while libertarians have terrible viewpoints and I oppose libertarianism, a guy who votes Ron Paul doesn't have a huge impact on the world so even though he is acting on his beliefs, it's not really on a level that I care about.

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    Isn’t OS X’s only BSD overlap that it’s based in Mach?
    That's actually where they don't overlap

XNU (OS'x Kernel) is based on Mach 3.0 with the networking stack, VFS layer, POSIX API interface, and some other bits from FreeBSD implemented on top of the Mach primitives.

Mac OS X itself, apart from the kernel, also uses FreeBSD's userland, and Apple employs a number of major FreeBSD contributors
    huh

Glad I posed that as a question, then.

if you're curious, this guy has a hell of a lot of interesting info on the low-level bits of OS X
    http://www.kernelthread.com/
    I actually read that site from ~’04–’06 (i.e. while he updated it).

It’s just not knowledge I ever really have a use for, so I’ve forgotten a lot of it.

stilist on
    edited September 2009

Except if he maintains a belief of tolerance "Pro-choice rather than Pro-Life" presumably maintaining that belief would manifest a desire to enact a Pro-choice policy.

If I am pro-choice and you are pro-life and I do not try to change your mind in what sense am I pro-choice?

Because not every interaction with other people is an ideological clash?

japan on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Eh, BSD is more freedom for other developers and users, but the GPL gives the author "freedom" in Stallman's mind by giving the author rights to other people's work.

It's all very silly, as anything Stallman says is.

But I don't want to turn this into a whole Thing

Senjutsu on
    edited September 2009
    J, ever girl I ever had a crush on voted Republican.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Also I have terrible tastes in women.

It does matter. When people go beyond their personal beliefs and try and inflict that way of life upon others via the government it matters.

You are basically saying people should never vote.

Look, people are allowed to vote, for whatever, and you can judge them for it, if you like, but the way to combat that is to vote against the things they vote for, not bring them over to your house and systematically destroy their belief system with logic.

I am saying it is right, and just, to judge and argue with at every oppertunity any person who votes in such a way as foster the ruin of other peoples lives.

You can do that for sure.

I'd just get bored, do you know how many people like that there are?

tonnes.

Greeper on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blargh, several people I'm interested in on OkCupid, but I'm drawing a blank on what to write to them.

I hate writing first messages.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2009
    If you were to choreograph a fight sequence to Vivaldi's Spring, what kind of fight would it be?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

You can be something without trying to convince others that it's the right way. As Pony said, he'll speak against their views when they come up, but he's not going to start needless trouble if they're not bringing up their different views all the time.

Not everything is about politics or polarizing, after all. It's possible to sit with someone who thinks differently than you and enjoy a cup of coffee or a game of Super Smash Brothers and not have it lead to a lines-are-drawn argument.

Passerbye on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blargh, several people I'm interested in on OkCupid, but I'm drawing a blank on what to write to them.

"Hey baby, you make me so lovesick that I'm coughing up blood."

Incenjucar on
    edited September 2009

Just go: :winky:

Greeper on
    edited September 2009
    But, for example, I know people who are anti-abortion and I'm still capable of being civil and friendly with them despite the fact that I think their views are terrible.

How?

If a person is beating their wife and you perceive it and do nothing? You condone their wife beating.

If a person maintains an anti-abortion stance and you do nothing? You condone their being anti-abortion.

How can you do that?

_J_ on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

J, this might be hard for you to understand, and I get that...

...but it's possible for a person to hold a viewpoint or belief and not constantly feel the need to espouse it on people and try to change everyone's minds to what they think.

It's possible.

Pony on
    edited September 2009

Ask them what their feelings are on cream-based pasta sauces.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Not everything is about politics or polarizing, after all. It's possible to sit with someone who thinks differently than you and enjoy a cup of coffee or a game of Super Smash Brothers and not have it lead to a lines-are-drawn argument.

How can one play Smash Brothers with someone who thinks that a rape victim needs to be forced to birth the resulting child?

_J_ on
    edited September 2009
    If you were to choreograph a fight sequence to Vivaldi's Spring, what kind of fight would it be?

This is important and relevant.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited September 2009

Eh, BSD is more freedom for other developers and users, but the GPL gives the author "freedom" in Stallman's mind by giving the author rights to other people's work.

It's all very silly, as anything Stallman says is.

But I don't want to turn this into a whole Thing
    Our differences of opinion are probably because you make money off code, while I lean toward the public domain and ‘open for the future’ stuff.

stilist on
    edited September 2009

Wow you know a lot about religion.

That's so interesting! I didn't know most of that!

Alas, this is about the level of reply I should have expected. But still you dissapoint me Greeper. Perhaps you should be less careless about what you believe if this is the level of thought you put into it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ask them what their feelings are on cream-based pasta sauces.
    Oh man, I really should, that's a major thing.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2009
    If a person maintains an anti-abortion stance and you do nothing? You condone their being anti-abortion.

lolwut

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Because not every interaction with other people is an ideological clash?

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009

How?

If a person is beating their wife and you perceive it and do nothing? You condone their wife beating.

How can you do that?

Easily.

See, I wouldn't do nothing about them beating their wife, I'd call the police or maybe hit them with a rusty tire iron until their blood made funny shapes.

But I would do nothing about an anti-abortion stance, because I do condone their ability to make that choice.

Arguing with them will do nothing. I'm not a particularly good argue-guy, so when you argue with someone, it's almost impossible to change their mind... hey wait, why the hell am I arguing with you, then?

Greeper on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you fail to be friends with people because you have different beliefs, you are silly.

James on
    edited September 2009
    J, this might be hard for you to understand, and I get that...

...but it's possible for a person to hold a viewpoint or belief and not constantly feel the need to espouse it on people and try to change everyone's minds to what they think.

It's possible.

How?

_J_ on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    how do you openly hate jews in north america in this day and age

what the fuck is that even about

Well you know they control our money apparently.

And some easily persuaded people could be taken in by Mel Gibson's arguments.

There was a survey a while back that found that fewer people than in the past now believe that the entertainment industry is run by Jews.

Which is odd, since the CEOs of ABC (Disney included), NBC (including Universal), CBS, Sony Music, Sony Pictures, and all of Sony, the head of the RIAA, etc. are ethnically Jewish, not that I have a problem with it.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.