This is the gift the saviors of far-flung Hellas upraised here,
Having delivered their states from loathsome slavery's bonds.
- Diodorus, History, 11.33.2
Thanks to the efforts of Frank Miller, Zack Snyder and underpaid middle school history teachers everywhere, I would imagine most of you are familiar with the Battle of Thermopylae. You may even recall stories of the Battles of Marathon and Salamis. However, I would wager that, if asked, none of you could give me the name of the single land battle that decisively ended the Second Persian Invasion of Greece. That battle, the Battle of Plataea, is a story that those of you who have seen or read 300 unknowingly already have a passing familiarity with; for it is the battle before which one-eyed Dilios recounts the story of King Leonidas I and his 300 Spartans.
On the plains north of the small Boeotian city of Plataea, the allied Greek city-states fielded the greatest Greek army ever assembled. Commanded by the Spartan Regent-General, Pausanias, the Greeks lured the brilliant Persian general, Mardonius, to his death and slaughtered tens of thousands of Persian soldiers, effectively ending Xerxes's invasion of Greece.
This game takes place immediately before the Battle of Plataea.
A Newbie Phalla
What is Phalla?
Phallas are the Penny Arcade forum version of the party game Mafia
. This is a Miniphalla, which is a lot like a Phalla, only smaller and hopefully shorter in duration. For more information, please refer to the CF Phalla Signup List
, the CF Master Phalla Thread
, the PhallaWiki
, or the PhalLounge
I have stolen pieces of this opening post from the previous newbie phalla
run by Orange Soda and Dac Vin, who in turn borrowed from the prior newbie phalla
run by Sheep Have Wool. I have also incorporated bits and pieces from the original newbie phalla
run by robothero
This miniphalla is for new players only! If you've played in 6 or fewer Phallas, or you're brand new, this game is for you. Why? You'll be playing with other new players, and you'll also be able to get advice from mentor/veteran Phalla players to help improve your play. This game will also be an "Open Setup" with no hidden and/or unusual roles.
What if I'm not a newbie?
I am going to do things a bit differently from the previous newbie phallas. In addition to in-thread posting, I am taking signups from veteran players to serve as a mentor to some lucky newbie. Vets willing to serve in this capacity, please sign up in DarkOrchid
, and indicate your local time zone. This will hopefully allow me to match you with players more likely to be online and active the same time as you.
Vets who cannot serve as mentors, whether for time zone constraints, work business, etc., can still participate! As in games past, I will veteran players to post comments in DeepSkyBlue
while the game is in progress. That said, you should read the rules below about non-player posts below before making a post.
Failure to follow the rules will result in you losing your chance at fabulous prizes
. And will likely earn you my eternal scorn and hopefully the ridicule of others (for whatever that's worth).
Yes! The mentor/veteran player that is voted Most Helpful
by the players will win a fabulous candy pack prize
! In addition, the newbie voted MVP
by a select group of veteran players will also receive a candy prize
of his/her very own!
Wow! Candy! I'm a newbie to Phalla - how do I play?
- Sign up in this thread by posting !sign up. Additionally, please indicate the number of games you have played, as well as your local time zone. This last point will allow me to hopefully coordinate you with a mentor who will be online and active around the same time as you.
- After signups have ended, you'll receive a role PM. This PM contains information about the role you will play in the game. This PM should not be shared with another player.
- Sometimes hosts will simply provide a standard villager PM. I personally find it more fun and engaging to have a unique name, and since I am the one hosting this game, that is exactly what I will be doing. Everyone involved will receive a unique name with their role. I will, however, post the actual role PMs in a separate post below.
- Follow the Basic Rules:
- The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.
- Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose two people to kill each night and PM the names to the narrator.
- The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kills, so it is an inevitable win).
- Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.
- Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.
- Other Rules:
- You may not communicate regarding the game with someone who is dead.
- You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, and e-mails are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. Setting up a Proboard can be a good idea, but inform me of the URL if you do so.
- You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone.
- No direct quoting, sharing, or forwarding of any kind of any PM from the host, including your initial role PM.
- No playing madlibs with sentences in your role PM that may or may not be flavor to identify yourself.
- You might also wish to look at the Standard Special Roles, as all of these will be appearing in this game (the exact number of each depends on the number of signups, and will ultimately be clarified once signups are closed, but before the game officially begins):
- Roles will have different names depending on the theme of the game. Listed below are the usual "generic" terms for each role. Normally, specials exercise their power by communicating with the narrator via PM. This is exactly how I will be handling things in this game.
- Seer -- once per night can "investigate" a particular person and find out from the narrator if they are a bad guy. Variations of seers may be able to determine a good special as well, although they may be unable to distinguish them from a bad guy.
- Vigilante (or "Vig") -- once per night can kill a person of their choosing.
- Guardian -- once per night can protect someone from any death other than execution by the village. Whether they can protect against multiple attacks on one person in the same night is up to the narrator.
- Masons -- a group of good guys, usually of similar size to the group of bad guys, who start the game knowing each other, and that they are all good.
- Vote each day by posting your choice in !red. You can (optionally) retract a vote by posting in !Lime. This is not required, but I do appreciate it. You must vote each day. Inactivity = death and/or disqualification.
Each day will end at 10:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. Any vote or action made after 9:59 PM WILL NOT count.
- Ask questions of the moderator by posting in orange or sending me a PM.
Wow! Candy! I'm a veteran Phalla player - how do I play?
Veteran players who wish to participate by offering advice do not need to sign up
, only those veterans interested in serving as mentors need sign up in DarkOrchid
. You may post in the thread in DeepSkyBlue
while the game is in progress. I may put in a post limit if the thread becomes too spammy. Do your best to avoid making many short posts - longer, single posts keep the thread less cluttered.
Failure to follow these rules results in disqualification! When in doubt, send me a PM to ask if something is OK to post. There will be ZERO tolerance of rule violations.
- Do NOT directly comment on the current game situation. You may offer general advice and answer questions, and you may offer commentary on previous day actions as long as it doesn't influence the current day.
Bad: Orange Soda was evil, and Dac Vin argued for him - you should vote him out today.
Good: Once you find a baddie, checking the vote records for previous days can be really helpful.
- Do NOT play for the newbies. You are assisting them.
- Unless you are assigned a mentee, please do NOT contact a newbie outside of the thread. If you have generalized advice, please feel free to post it in the game thread in DeepSkyBlue.
Please request clarifications in bold orange
, either in the thread or via PM or proboard as appropriate. If I feel the clarification is exceptionally important I reserve the right to do whatever is necessary to preserve the requester's anonymity and post the request and answer in-thread. Clarifications will be posted in a separate reserved post below.