As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interesting cut/hidden content in games?

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always just pressed "B." Seemed to work.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah yes,I remember trying to press A in time with the ball.

Didn't do a thing for the retarded "*rare pokemon* dodged the ball!". So glad they removed that.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PUcu0mBKg

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

This just blew my mind. I never knew about this scene, thanks for sharing!

Now I really want to play Wing Commander again.

Yeah, that was one of the dumbest things Origin ever did. I mean, taking out a scene that explains a very important decision one very important character made, a decision that totally confused every single person who played that game? There were so many less important scenes that could have been cut instead...

The official reason for cutting that was not enough disk space.

Man...it'd be a shame if disc space was the real cause, especially since the scene is only like 90 seconds long and the game was on four discs. It's such a bizarre decision.

Thing is, CD-ROM drives were still strange beasts at those days, and they had to use 60min cd-rom disks in order to guarantee compatibility, instead of 74 min cd-roms.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stuff gets cut from games?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blakout wrote: »
    Not really hidden or anything, but I thought I was pretty clever when I played Foundation on Halo 2 before most people knew it existed. I copied the game to my Xbox's hard drive and noticed that there was a multiplayer map that didn't show up on the selection screen, so I replaced the name with one of the other maps and hey holy shit a hidden map! Turns out you had to do some weird shit with a banshee or something to unlock it in-game (until Bungie unlocked it with a patch about a week later).

Wasn't it literally just roll the banshee, something it tells you to do, with onscreen directions and everything at one point?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OK OK, here's a real one. Every video game ever had a header at the beginning of their rom which contains information about the game (like region, accessories supported, etc). This information is IMPOSSIBLE to see in-game.

Well, a lot of times, within this header info, you can find some crazy shit. One of my favorite examples is a game called Pachi-Com, a pachinko game for the Famicom from Toshiba EMI.

The header takes up 5% of the total rom space because it's filled with long conversations from the programmers, sound editors, and what-not who are bitching about how the game and Toshiba EMI suck. Here's a translation of what is said:
    Mr. GOUHARA from JPM planning does absolutely nothing but gives me all sorts of crap anyway. SHUT UP, YOU IDIOT!
    ———–
    DEG/NANA/KOYA from company “T” [presumably Toshiba EMI]
    You RETARDS say one thing, then something else later all the time. I worked ALL NIGHT working on what you told me to; don’t say to me “it was better before”! Who the hell do you think is going to play this, with its boring bonus stage and the balls that get stuck? If you use SELECT to put the JOY right, that’ll make it +1, you idiot! You’re a sound company; quit ignoring pachinko sounds and trying to put these weird sounds in instead! Do you WANT it to be this hard to hear the balls?! I’ve left the PREVIOUS sounds, so edit this if you want to hear it. Set hex address AFFC to 1FAF and AFC4 to E0EE to get decent sounds. (Tiger_V & Kugi) Company “T”, you idiots! GOU, you retard! Anyone can tell you what good sound is!
    ========
    Does company “N” develop with company “I”’s PROS80? I’m AMAZED they can make stuff on that weird (3″ floppy disk) machine! Do they trace the holes when drawing art, too? [i.e. Do they program graphic data directly without the use of any artist tools?] If you’re sick of tracing holes, I’ll sell Bear’s art machine (ROM) and debugger for 5 million YEN… Tel 03-864-6880 That’s cheap if you want pretty art!!!
    ——–
    Why did they take out the 6502’s decimal mode [from the NES architecture]? It’s a decimal computer… Did they mess up the mask cutting or something?
    ========
    Anyone who happens across this is a pervert! There’s another message in the MSX Pachi-Com… If you’re a pervert, buy it and see! It’s in Okinawan dialect, though!
    DON’T TELL ANYBODY YOU SAW THIS!!!
    by Y.S

And a screenshot:

pachicom.jpg

I've run into litterally hundreds of these while digging through PC Engine CD games. That console is notorious for shit like this. Even weirder is when you'll find random ascii art, or when you're examining tile information and you'll find one frame of a completely random full-screen image. Talking completely random... IIRC Rayexamber III has, right in the middle of the tile information, a full screen picture of Big Foot. Not the mythical creature, the monster truck. Of course this shit is never used in game, and I've never seen an explanation of why this happens, especially in so many PC Engine CD games.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Symphony of the Night had an unused ending where Richter and Maria both died.

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Games/sotnweird.html

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3
    I would listen to your radio show.
    I would stay up until 2AM, when your show starts, just to hit record on the old cassette-reading stereo, on a school night, back in the nineties.

Seriously, start getting some podcasts up or something.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    <3
    I would stay up until 2AM, when your show starts, just to hit record on the old cassette-reading stereo, on a school night, back in the nineties.

My show would start at 2:00 am? Am I Art Belle or something?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought the "Totaka's song" hidden in a bunch of Nintendo games was pretty cool.

Video 1/3 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLMAgcGA8Dw

Pemulis on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This might have been mentioned, but I always enjoyed getting to the Insomniac Museum areas in the Ratchet & Clank games. Getting to see how they do things, what was cut, and playing with the effects and whatnot is always really interesting to see.

God of War had something like that too, where they showed creatures that were cut such as the anatomically correct cyclops.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3

I second this. You always manage to find some cool weird stuff, so a podcast or Youtube subscription would be quite interesting.

I bet the Final Fantasy games are full of insane stuff for you to crack.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blazblue has a secret song that you get by turning off all the music and going to a certain stage.

A bit known though

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PUcu0mBKg

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

This just blew my mind. I never knew about this scene, thanks for sharing!

Now I really want to play Wing Commander again.

Yeah, that was one of the dumbest things Origin ever did. I mean, taking out a scene that explains a very important decision one very important character made, a decision that totally confused every single person who played that game? There were so many less important scenes that could have been cut instead...

The official reason for cutting that was not enough disk space.

Man...it'd be a shame if disc space was the real cause, especially since the scene is only like 90 seconds long and the game was on four discs. It's such a bizarre decision.

Thing is, CD-ROM drives were still strange beasts at those days, and they had to use 60min cd-rom disks in order to guarantee compatibility, instead of 74 min cd-roms.

Oh yes I know, I remember how excited I was when my family got an amazing double-speed CD-ROM drive. Now I could play FMV games! I was more agreeing with you that yes, it seems like they could have found another 90 seconds to cut out somewhere in order to have such an important scene stay in the game.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the Dynamite Headdy betas has Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal somewhere in the music data, I think. It was presumably copied over from Moonwalker, but seeing as how there's no staff overlap between the two games I'm not entirely sure how something like that happens.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One of the Dynamite Headdy betas has Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal somewhere in the music data, I think. It was presumably copied over from Moonwalker, but seeing as how there's no staff overlap between the two games I'm not entirely sure how something like that happens.

Betas are written onto rewritable eeproms when they get sent out for press reviews. The press are supposed to send their carts back and Sega would write over them. However, they wouldn't format the eeprom before doing so, so if the data you were writing was smaller than the data already on the eeprom, the old data would still be there at the end of the new data. This is how a Sonic 2 beta has art from Chiki Chiki Boys.

Press carts were always sent out by Sega, even for 3rd party companies like Treasure. Dunno if thats the specific reason why smooth criminal is in the game, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Blazblue has a secret song that you get by turning off all the music and going to a certain stage.

A bit known though

I always suspected this. Every time that stage loads up I can hear the beginning of the guitar solo overlapping with the stage music.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Betas are written onto rewritable eeproms when they get sent out for press reviews. The press are supposed to send their carts back and Sega would write over them. However, they wouldn't format the eeprom before doing so, so if the data you were writing was smaller than the data already on the eeprom, the old data would still be there at the end of the new data. This is how a Sonic 2 beta has art from Chiki Chiki Boys.

Press carts were always sent out by Sega, even for 3rd party companies like Treasure. Dunno if thats the specific reason why smooth criminal is in the game, though.

You're like a gamer version of Bill Nye.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3

I second this. You always manage to find some cool weird stuff, so a podcast or Youtube subscription would be quite interesting.

You mean like the hidden area in FFVII that is only accessable from the debug room, which gives you the location in the Northern Crater where the Weapons are encased in ice, but from a slightly different angle, and with Aerith's Theme playing? Or the unique dialogue Aerith has when you first land after the snowboard section? Or maybe the fact that, during her death FMV, Sephiroth has an inconsistency regarding whether he's wearing gloves or not?

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfrWhRI8mE

Can anyone explain what this was? And I quite discovered this on accident 3 days ago, I was FREAKED OUT.

Basically just a minigame, you access it if you quit at a certain point in the game then load your save. It's a fun hack/slash but it's said it was just a test for a 'possible' future game. nothing, as far as I know, ever came of it. I thought it was cool, I still have a save from where you access it so if I feel like it I can load it up.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember cheating to explore the little turret room across the lake behind the dam in the first level of Goldeneye 007. Nintendo Power said that there was originally going to be a mission objective that required you to pilot a small boat over there to retrieve something. They obviously cut it pretty early because it has crude placeholder textures that never would have been used in the final product (though they were, of course, still there ;)).

People have hacked the game to unlock a lot of removed content though including multiplayer levels. Heck, the final stage has a MP version that still has appropriate spawn points and everything!

CZroe on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bought an N64 Gameshark just for Goldeneye. It's pretty obvious that Antenna Cradle and Statue Park were cut from multiplayer because of how much slowdown resulted from rendering the environment.

Predator Mode was nifty as well, though I think the effect wore off after the first respawn.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    I hate this stuff so much. Mostly because I was a part of it at least once; Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on the GC was lacking in extra/unlockable content leaving a bunch of people with a feeling of, "that's it?" For example I don't think you even get anything for getting all dog tags. So I and a bunch of other people on a message board spent a bunch of time scouring the game for extra secrets. We did find some interesting stuff - a couple of places in the game have this strange blue diamond polyhedron way up high. (Think Tomb Raider 1's save crystals.) There were some very tantalizing areas just out of reach, for example a waterway/sewer near the area with the dozens of security cameras.

But obviously there was nothing to be found besides what the game presented fairly clearly. There almost never is. Aside from official debug codes, the game designers aren't going to put in some crazy extra modes and then hide them so well that nobody has a chance of seeing them. I mean really, interpreting that much from one line of dialogue and a couple of textures? Ugh.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3

You mean like the hidden area in FFVII that is only accessable from the debug room, which gives you the location in the Northern Crater where the Weapons are encased in ice, but from a slightly different angle, and with Aerith's Theme playing? Or the unique dialogue Aerith has when you first land after the snowboard section? Or maybe the fact that, during her death FMV, Sephiroth has an inconsistency regarding whether he's wearing gloves or not?

I just read this whole thread thinking of all the crap that got cut from FFVII. Aeris has a lot of dialogue left over in various parts of the game where, chronologically you can't take her. Not to mention that Northern Cave jazz, as well as some of the other areas with "extra" off screen crap happening.

It's obvious there was another plotline at work there that was just abandoned. I would love to see the script for it.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah, wasn't there some peanut island you could see in the distance in the first stage of Goldeneye? Did anyone hack their way over there?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shadow of the Colossus just has this world that really should have had secrets everywhere. It had cool little ponds and stuff to find, but there really should be a bunch of little temples scattered about to explore. Not that I didn't spend hours exploring anyway. It's reasonable that people are steal looking for secrets, as it just feels like there should be secrets.

But it is a crime, a CRIME that you can not climb to the highest point of the tower. A CRIME.

ps. can't wait for last guardian

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Oh yeah, wasn't there some peanut island you could see in the distance in the first stage of Goldeneye? Did anyone hack their way over there?

That's what I was talking about. Before there was even a noclip GameShark cheat I moved my camera over there but it was still bound to where my character was standing on the dam. Even so, I was still able to see every nook & cranny inside and out.

CZroe on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfrWhRI8mE

Can anyone explain what this was? And I quite discovered this on accident 3 days ago, I was FREAKED OUT.

Basically just a minigame, you access it if you quit at a certain point in the game then load your save. It's a fun hack/slash but it's said it was just a test for a 'possible' future game. nothing, as far as I know, ever came of it. I thought it was cool, I still have a save from where you access it so if I feel like it I can load it up.

Yes, Guy Savage. It was going to be directed by Shuyo Murata. Never came to fruition though.

Igort on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the mother fucking ice key?

And all the other cut content from B&K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLbMsbcRnnM&feature=related

I remember people going on about those things long after I'd forgotten, but WTF... o_O

How did it all get resolved, I can't remember. Not bought BK2 on XBLA yet.

You have both BKXBLA and BTXBLA.

If you buy BTXBLA, as soon as you make a save it will unlock all the Stop n Swop items/locations in BKXBLA (A Nuts and Bolts save will also do this).

Then you can go back to BK XBLA, collect all the Stop n Swop items, and exit the game.

Then you can take the eggs to Eggy's house in Tooie XBLA to get special stuff for them.

Also you need BKXBLA to get Dragon Kazooie in Tooie XBLA as the only way to get the Ice Key is by going and getting it in BKXBLA.

The N64 cartridges have new bronze/silver/gold eggs in them for Stop N Swop II :P
    Also : http://banjokazooie.wikia.com/wiki/Bottles%27_Revenge - a hidden mode in Banjo Tooie (although you can't access it on the 360).

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the mother fucking ice key?

And all the other cut content from B&K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLbMsbcRnnM&feature=related

I remember people going on about those things long after I'd forgotten, but WTF... o_O

How did it all get resolved, I can't remember. Not bought BK2 on XBLA yet.

You have both BKXBLA and BTXBLA.

If you buy BTXBLA, as soon as you make a save it will unlock all the Stop n Swop items/locations in BKXBLA (A Nuts and Bolts save will also do this).

Then you can go back to BK XBLA, collect all the Stop n Swop items, and exit the game.

Then you can take the eggs to Eggy's house in Tooie XBLA to get special stuff for them.

Also you need BKXBLA to get Dragon Kazooie in Tooie XBLA as the only way to get the Ice Key is by going and getting it in BKXBLA.

The N64 cartridges have new bronze/silver/gold eggs in them for Stop N Swop II :P
    Also : http://banjokazooie.wikia.com/wiki/Bottles%27_Revenge - a hidden mode in Banjo Tooie (although you can't access it on the 360).

It has been discovered to still be intact though with a new interface added even though its still dummied out

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Originally, Iron Storm - this fairly generic FPS set in an alternate-history WWI that never ended - was supposed to be more of a third person action/strategy game. In the install files are voices, scripts and such for units you don't encounter in the game: order acknowledgments, greetings, combat taunts, and so on. A good deal of exposition was apparently also lopped out.

There's a ton of leftover audio in Silent Hill: Homecoming that's still on the disc, and it suggests they stripped out quite a bit in the making. A breakdown can be found here. Some of the highlights (sizable spoilers, of course):
    - There was supposed to be another way into the police station.

- An entire subplot involving a hospital and a patient was apparently cut.

- Wheeler had a lot of lines cropped, including stuff that would've been really helpful, like why you had to track down Dr. Fitch or how to break into Silent Hill's prison later.

- Alex was originally to give spoken reactions to his surroundings, sometimes in the form of audio cues as to what to do; that very-easy-to-miss knife puzzle in the town hall basement was one of them.

- Elle has combat dialog, suggesting it was possible at one point to arm her.

- Apparently, it was possible to submit during the torture session late in the game.

- Quite a few more reactions to Alex's dialog options were written and recorded than were actually used.

- A 'Walter' is mentioned and voiced, possibly Walter Sullivan from SH4.

It sounded way more actiony - probably too much for a Silent Hill game, and Homecoming was plenty actiony already - but to be honest, it also sounds really interesting. I would've loved to see the original ideas set off in their own separate fucked-up world.

Lastly, Deus Ex had to lose a lot of stuff too, and some of its notes and newspaper articles reference these. Two thing I know of offhand are a planned rescue mission in Texas and a mission involving a moon base, presumably the mining complex you read about along the way. This is just a breakdown of the game's text, but it does highlight stuff that was cut and has an interesting postmortem by Warren Spector.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hell, I'd be tuned in if it was nothing but discovered conversations of developers screaming at each other and adding random images.

Post more conversations. :)

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    I hate this stuff so much. Mostly because I was a part of it at least once; Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on the GC was lacking in extra/unlockable content leaving a bunch of people with a feeling of, "that's it?" For example I don't think you even get anything for getting all dog tags. So I and a bunch of other people on a message board spent a bunch of time scouring the game for extra secrets. We did find some interesting stuff - a couple of places in the game have this strange blue diamond polyhedron way up high. (Think Tomb Raider 1's save crystals.) There were some very tantalizing areas just out of reach, for example a waterway/sewer near the area with the dozens of security cameras.

But obviously there was nothing to be found besides what the game presented fairly clearly. There almost never is. Aside from official debug codes, the game designers aren't going to put in some crazy extra modes and then hide them so well that nobody has a chance of seeing them. I mean really, interpreting that much from one line of dialogue and a couple of textures? Ugh.
    On the other hand, that endless, irrational pursuit is eerily befitting of this particular game.
    Also, I am mad that I missed a KOTOR2 discussion.

Monger on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember reading an old EGM waaaaaay back before the game actually came out, but apparently the Lost video game, Via Domus, was supposed to have Room 23 in it and reveal important story-related bits there (presumably something to do with Karl or, better, Walt). Also, the events of the game were supposed to be completely canon.

But then the game took forever to come out, it ended up sucking, the writers claimed that it's actually only semi-canon, and Room 23 was nowhere to be seen or even mentioned.

Neat ending, though.

I always roll my eyes when they claim a video game will be "canon." There's no fucking way this will ever happen. At best the events of the video game won't be contradicted in future works.

For example, the Matrix MMO is supposed to be canon. (Granted the chances of another movie sequel seems a little dim right now.) I hear Morpheous died in one of the MMO's storylines. Anyone believe that a future sequel would leave that unchanged and unexplained to the 99.9% of movie goers who didn't play the MMO?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember reading an old EGM waaaaaay back before the game actually came out, but apparently the Lost video game, Via Domus, was supposed to have Room 23 in it and reveal important story-related bits there (presumably something to do with Karl or, better, Walt). Also, the events of the game were supposed to be completely canon.

But then the game took forever to come out, it ended up sucking, the writers claimed that it's actually only semi-canon, and Room 23 was nowhere to be seen or even mentioned.

Neat ending, though.

I always roll my eyes when they claim a video game will be "canon." There's no fucking way this will ever happen. At best the events of the video game won't be contradicted in future works.

For example, the Matrix MMO is supposed to be canon. (Granted the chances of another movie sequel seems a little dim right now.) I hear Morpheous died in one of the MMO's storylines. Anyone believe that a future sequel would leave that unchanged and unexplained to the 99.9% of movie goers who didn't play the MMO?

Time skip/jump, Morpheous died in a battle trying to get back Neo's body (I think...) anyway, you can basically recap what happened in the MMO using some exposition directed at a new character.

In other cut news: I did remember buying an old Gameshark/Mod chip hybrid for my old PS1 (using the Parallel port) that let me access the files directly on the disc. Found a music video on Xenogears, complete with credit block like on old MTV.

And I found the outtakes for You don't Know Jack. Hearing the announcer crack up 5 times during the Johnson and Sons Bait shop commercial was fun "Master baiters since 1963" then there's the actual Director talking with Cookie (Host) about all this stuff and how nobody is going to hear this material.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow thats really cool. Its actually got a pretty scary atmosphere. Then they ruin it with those dumb molotov babies. I guess its better it ended up the way it did, because they didn't seem to catch on to Silent Hill's avoidance of combat and not relying on as many cheap scares.

Also no door opening sequences.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow thats really cool. Its actually got a pretty scary atmosphere. Then they ruin it with those dumb molotov babies. I guess its better it ended up the way it did, because they didn't seem to catch on to Silent Hill's avoidance of combat and not relying on as many cheap scares.

Also no door opening sequences.

Apparently the story was about Leon getting infected with a new virus that causes hallucinations (which is why everything takes on a blue tint when something weird happens).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I still pray that one day this game actually gets made, either as an alternate scenario or with a new character.

Seriously, what an absolute waste of a cool concept and scary atmosphere.