As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CON PLAGUE!

• BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord help me, I'm staring at this Hello Kitty Online disk and it actually seems like a pretty good idea right now...

Those assholes at Sanrio must have fine-tuned SARS to induce cravings for their pastel-hued mutant offerings.

Beryllium on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Beryllium wrote: »
    Lord help me, I'm staring at this Hello Kitty Online disk and it actually seems like a pretty good idea right now...

Those assholes at Sanrio must have fine-tuned SARS to induce cravings for their pastel-hued mutant offerings.

Oh shit. Oh fucking shit. I have to hide my HKO disk before something bad happens.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • nekuranekura Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My condolences to anyone who came down with something serious. I think I managed to escape mostly unscathed; just a cold and some muscle soreness from standing around all weekend and doing some heavy lifting yesterday.

nekura on
  • Wolf52525Wolf52525 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    stealth swag FTL

Wolf52525 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel fine for now... Nothing more than the usual feeling after 30 hours with no more sleep than 2 hours passed out on a hard train floor. I hope you guys are all ok, especially with the swine flu announcement. GO GET CHECKED!

I hope a lot of people are good at playing Pandemic, because I think with the number of people at PAX from all over, we just drew an outbreak card.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have what seems like a light cold (scratchy, raw throat and cough, mild headache). Hopefully some soup, tea and a spicy bloody mary will cure me like always.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quick! Let's fly to Madagascar before they get all uppity.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terrible cough, but like most I chalk it up to drinking and shouting. No other symptoms. Friend who went was pretty bad by Monday afternoon. Button idea sounds fun assuming we all survive. :P

Zellpher on
  • CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just got it confirmed; case of swine flu for myself.

If you are feeling sick; get yourself checked out!

Cybit on
  • revenge7revenge7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My throat is killing me, but that's all. Don't think it's swine flu, but if I get any more symptoms (or have some free time), I'll go get it checked out.

revenge7 on
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

THIS

omg we didn't even play Pandemic this year! FTL!

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

:^:

BTW, I'm not going to get tested, but I'm comfortable saying I probably have H1N1 at this point. I can't remember ever being hit with a fever this hard or fast before. The severity alone seems to match the descriptions.

After sleeping a few hours, a couple of tylenol, and a wet rag, my fever is finally down to 100.4. I didn't think to check it at it's worst, unfortunately. Now I'm fairly energetic; will eat and probably play some League of Legends or Mines of Moria.

Houn on
  • arotEnoarotEno Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Oh Man, Hit the convention center ALL day Saturday. There for 16+ hours. I tried not to touch the face and washed my hands, as well as used sanitizer but oh man.....Last night to this morning I started get nose/sinus issues!

I am now dieing from a headache and fever. My husband has a slight bug but he is also "Super Immune-System Man"

I hope to god the whole WSU student body did NOT attend! lol

I have bad allergies so I'm praying this is part of it but I may have to hit the doc if this continues tomorrow!

Ugh...ok back to sleep for the 13 hour......

arotEno on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I am coughing a lot, but otherwise I feel fine (I did inhale a ton of dust yesterday), thankfully no fever. I figure if I feel off I'll call in sick and head to the doctor.

futility on
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I seemed to have acquired some sort sort of plague as well, started on Sat with a slightly congested chest but no coughing any crap up. Saturday night was terrible insomnia. Now it's on to full blown chills/sweats constant faucet nose, somewhat sore throat (attributing that to the overflowing sinuses) and general feel like shit-itis.

Screw 'PAX Plague Infected 2009' buttons next year. Print 'em up and start collecting donations/addresses.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
    edited September 2009
    HKO is too complicated for me in this state. Brain exploded during tutorial.

Gonna surf CuteOverload instead.

Beryllium on
    edited September 2009
    BTW: What you have is probably not H1Nerd1 unless you're vomiting and your ass has turned into a fire hose.

Get tested anyway, but you probably don't get the Burrito Bronchitis Badge without those key symptoms.

Beryllium on
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I'm hoping it's a nasty cold with a touch of flu.

It's sad, but I couldn't even heal in WoW yesterday. I think I'm better today, but I'm not gonna try.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My cold got a lot worse today but that's probably just cause I was flying and flying while sick is a terribad idea.

Don't have a fever though so it's probably not the flu.

Asiina on
  • IncompetentCameraGuyIncompetentCameraGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I picked up some sort of flu like sickness, but it cleared up in a day and a half. Now I just have a massive sinus headache.

IncompetentCameraGuy on
    Old enough to know better, stupid enough to do it anyway.
  • CoffeeAlchemistCoffeeAlchemist Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Friday night just before the concerts started I felt a raging sore throat start. By the time I was back to the hotel I was afraid I had picked up something fierce like strep seeing as how I had no other signs of a cold (just the burning). By Tuesday it had seemed to have run its course and I was left with a runny nose and mild coughing.

CoffeeAlchemist on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I came out fine, but this post from Kotaku about people getting sick at PAX makes me worried...

http://kotaku.com/5354822/pax-organizers-report-confirmed-swine-flu-case-from-show

atray on
    edited September 2009
    If it crept up on you and you don't have a fever, it's the common cold.

If it hit you like a ton of bricks and you have a fever, it's the flu.

Both are potentially deadly, especially if you have asthma or other underlying heath issues. Consider yourselves informed and fearmongered

Beryllium on
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its all good, gentlemen.

Do what I did.

Drink a few shots of rum, and down two doses of NyQuil.

Wrap yourself in blankets, and go to sleep with a heater blowing on you.

Prepare to wake up 10 lbs lighter, and slightly hung over.

Worked for me.

My coughs subsiding, my heads a little clogged still, but my fever's broken, my body aches are gone, and I no longer have the urge to throw myself off a cliff.

EDIT: Rum is for 21 and overs. Dont drink (and get caught) kids.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
    edited September 2009
    Gah!

Heater and blankets are bad! I almost killed myself as a kid because I felt so cold that I bundled myself up like that and my temperature skyrocketed!

The doctor recommended lukewarm baths, but those sucked immensely because they feel ice-cold if you're running a fever.

Take Acetaminophen (I forget the brand name right now), try to stay comfortable without bundling up.

Beryllium on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    checkout #paxflu on twitter for updates.

http://twitter.com/#search?q=paxflu

also on http://www.penny-arcade.com/
    scroll to bottom for article on Feeling Sick?

This thread should be merged or locked since theres already a sticky about this topic.

atray on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gahh! My hard drive caught the con flu!

RoyceSraphim on
  • ghostfig101ghostfig101 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I had a fever of 104 degrees on Monday, I found that by staying in bed and drinking lots of tea, orange spice because other make your throat dry, and sleeping made feel much better the next day with 98.1 degree temperature. If anyone has some good tips on how to get rid of this scratchy throat, please let me know.

ghostfig101 on
  • oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a fever of 104 degrees on Monday, I found that by staying in bed and drinking lots of tea, orange spice because other make your throat dry, and sleeping made feel much better the next day with 98.1 degree temperature. If anyone has some good tips on how to get rid of this scratchy throat, please let me know.

you are doing everything right. the couggh will probably turn into a flemmy one.. i recommend drinking WHITE tea. the other teas the aggro'd your cough had caffine, and white tea has none plus the most antioxydents of all teas.

stay AWAY from fruit juices!

a losenge will temp restore your throat but there is no way to completely suppress it. if you don't talk too much it should keep the coughing to a minimum.

i had a fever of 102.6.... ugh XD

oyasumidesu on
  • daemongarsodaemongarso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Enforcers started a game the last day of PAX. It was dubbed "the Plague."
    My wife ran up to me after scouting for schwag in the Expo hall and placed a sitcker on me,
    and with a big smile she pointed with glee and said, "You're infected now!" She had a "carrier" sticker on her.
    I placed an "Immune" sticker on our housemate.

I got ill, the cough, fever, nausa...
    She has a cough and a sore throat, but isn't bad off.
    and our roomate isn't sick at all.

Did anyone else play the Enforcers "Infected Game"?
    Could there be a connection?
    Is my wife really to blame?

An Enforcer named Rabies started the game.
    What a game, indeed.

daemongarso on
  • JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm good... I did see one of the parents that took their kid to PAX give him a kiss... I took a picture of it. I think the parent had the swine flu.

swine-flu.bmp

Jeppy on
  • daemongarsodaemongarso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    on the drive back to Utah, I had a really tough time, in and out of fever/chills/sweats, bad cough, post nasal drip.
    My wife has a bad cough and itchy throat. Different plague than mine. Maybe our respective illnesses are going to combine and form Piglets. I'll get tested for Piggy flu tomorrow.

Oh man..chills while driving. You must,ve had the heat at MAX and it STILL was friggin cold!D:

I had a nasty episode of the chills when I came back from a weekend July 09 trip in Vegas. Nothing but Chills, vomiting, and everything else that crawled outta Satan's Asshole.

Hope you feel better soon.

Serious condolences, man.
    The test came back with a Low Probability for the Piggy Fever, we just have a nasty Upper Respiratory Virus. Eh.

daemongarso on
    edited September 2009

you are doing everything right. the couggh will probably turn into a flemmy one.. i recommend drinking WHITE tea. the other teas the aggro'd your cough had caffine, and white tea has none plus the most antioxydents of all teas.

stay AWAY from fruit juices!

a losenge will temp restore your throat but there is no way to completely suppress it. if you don't talk too much it should keep the coughing to a minimum.

i had a fever of 102.6.... ugh XD

Thank you for suggesting white tea. Unfortunately, out of the 27 different types of tea I have on hand (including chocolate) I don't have any white tea on hand so I'll be sure to pick some up tomorrow.

ghostfig101 on
  • k4elk4el Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Amongst this community i'm predicting a meme and so...

Join Viral Swag!
    Viral Stuff we all got... at PAX 2009.
    Viral Swag Steam Group

k4el on
    edited September 2009
    k4el wrote: »
    Amongst this community i'm predicting a meme and so...

Join Viral Swag!
    Viral Stuff we all got... at PAX 2009.
    Viral Swag Steam Group

Who needs T-shirts, posters, or beta keys when you've got Swine Flu! I joined, hope to see you on Left 4 Dead.

ghostfig101 on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have the flu, most likely the H1N1 that was going around PAX. I'm fine at this very moment, but it's really an up and down situation. I'll be fine for a while, I'll start sweating after several hours of fever, then later in the day I'll develop fever again. I'll also have general soreness in several places, dry coughing, and more. I did visit the emergency room yesterday in Denver before I could make my connection flight back to Iowa. Was a bad combination of flu and dehydration. If you are feeling sick, see a physician and be sure to wear breathing masks wherever you go, for the benefit of others as well as yourself (weakened immune system means benign germs/bacteria can do you some serious harm, even kill you). Additionally, you should consider not going in to work and you definitely shouldn't go to school.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • SeanSean Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I got this too.

1. The most intense headache EVER, went strong for 2 days
    2. Super high fever
    3. Horrible Cough/Sore Throat
    4. Joint Aches
    5. Dizziness

Fuck the guy who brought this here.

Sean on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To be fair, the guy who brought it probably didn't know until it was too late.

My parents read the kotaku article though and are now freaking the hell out. I'm like 95% sure I just have a cold though. It's been a pretty standard progression.

Yesterday sucked though since flying for 8 hours + no food + chest cough + little sleep = my body trying to devour itself from the inside. Food and Tylenol cured me of everything but the cough though.

Asiina on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The night before last I had a pretty high fever, didn't have a thermometer so don't have a number but apparently I felt a lot hotter than I did the next day when I had a 102. Slept all day, medicated myself with nyquil, soup, and oranges. This morning I'm at 99.9 and feeling a lot better. Still relaxing all day today too.

Kyanilis on
  • oohrah1021oohrah1021 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I didn't want to take away from the importance of the official H1Nerd1 thread, which is why I didn't post in there, but all this time in bed gave me an idea.

Like the Secretary for Geek Affairs, I too was an immune participant in this year's con-pandemic game. The purpose of that game was to infect the entire con before it closed. Well, in the days following, most of us seemed to not only actually get infected, but in flying out, have spread it across the world.

As I lay immobile in bed, I wondered how far the PAX flu spread as everyone left the con and thought it would be a great game to see how many states, provinces, and countries that would be directly affected by our small little "geek-thing" this last weekend.

If anyone that got sick at PAX has the interest, I setup a mapservices guestbook tracker.
    I think we will canvas a huge amount of territory with the PAX-flu and H1Nerd1 carriers that we now all are.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/paxflu

You don't have to sign up for anything, just search your city or click on the map to drop an icon and a short name.

oohrah1021 on
This discussion has been closed.