As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS GALAXIES

• Options
    Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Actually, there's a big quest line called the Legacy Quest that was put into the game in order to combat the 'I'm killing random punks in the middle of nowhere' feeling. I'm surprised the game didn't lead you into it once you got out of the starting area (Tansarii Point Station). The Legacy Quest basically feeds you a string of missions that have a bit of a plot to them, and the rewards from the quests generally provide you with enough equipment to meet your basic needs.

Mind you, it's still fairly bare bones, and the combat is fairly simplistic, but it should definitely be better than fighting random things out in the desert.

Also, there are a bunch of different types of mission terminals. Sounds like you first found an Exploring Mission Terminal, and yeah, the hunting missions from those tend to be a bit unspecific. If you hit up a standard Mission Terminal, you can get Destroy Missions, which give you a specific place where you will find a nest of nasty creatures or a "lair" (a flag or small structure) with people around it, and it'll be your goal to wipe them out and destroy the nest/"lair" (the latter involves attacking the thing for a minute or two straight, since they tend to have a fair number of hit points).

But yeah, I don't know why the game didn't point you towards the legacy stuff. Did you start out getting rescued from Imperials and doing some stuff on a space station?
    Which really is the problem with new swg.. Instead of it being cool and putting you into the star wars universe believably you immediately start out flying with HAN SOLO but you better watch outcause DARTH VADER is after you! Better go fight BOBA FETT so you can go meet LUKE SKYWALKER while CHEWBACCA gives you head.

It's all just so artifical and retarded where as old swg made it actually feel like star wars.

Because in the old starwars, getting head from chewbacca in the back of a sleezy lokian cantina was oh so much better.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two things:

1) RSPoD is a single player game. SWG is an MMO. These two things are not alike
    2) The continuity in SWG was already fucked because they used cloning centers. Like, what the fuck was that, anyway. They could have just called them medical centers and have you spawn in bacta tanks and have insurance be "retrieving your body and stuff" insurance but noooooo, who cares about continuity in a game where everyone playing is obviously a huge fucking nerd about that shit, no one will be bothered by this at all!

The developers for Star Wars Galaxies were unfettered morons for any number of reasons, but that's one that's always stuck in my craw

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't see how it is in any way conceited or a strawman argument to try and point out, that main characters from an intellectual property being in a game using that IP is nothing new. I saw in randombattle's post a common tirade that seems to suggest that it is empirically a bad thing, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Kinda makes me wonder how you guys feel about world of warcraft. Especially its caverns of time instances. Or Lord of the Rings Online, where Gandalf gives you a quest to go talk with Frodo for a bit, or you talk to Boromir to perhaps learn a thing or two from him. And yes, seeing jedi walking around Mos Eisley breaks immersion. So did seeing people walking around with their pet Rancors. Canon isn't the issue.

Sheesh, it's not like I'm a fan of Han Solo hooking me up with my first speeder or chatting up Boba Fett for quests. It's heavy handed at best. I was just responding to having an annoying spiel directed towards a post of me trying to point a guy towards content I thought he'd like.

From wikipedia, "...in literary terms, a conceit[1] is an extended metaphor with a complex logic that governs an entire poem or poetic passage. By juxtaposing, usurping and manipulating images and ideas in surprising ways, a conceit invites the reader into a more sophisticated understanding of an object of comparison." Or, the definition more appropriate for my intent from Merriam-Webster, "an elaborate or strained metaphor."

Not the same thing at all as something or someone being conceited. Yours was a strained metaphor that didn't work. If for no other reason than Han Solo, Darth Vader, and the other major Star Wars characters being rather more timeless than Gabe, Tycho, and a Fruit Fucker. Throw in other factors like massively multiplayer vs single player, and yadda, yadda, yadda...

Ketar on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Theres a difference.

In old SWG, you started out as a scrub. Period. You want to work for Boba Fett? Who the hell do you think you are? You can work for Sqlurm the Gran, who guards the door. After you do the whole themepark you eventually do some busy work for Fett man while hes tied up with other stuff.

You had a sense of purpose, but it you worked your way thru organizations. Starting out doing the grunt work before eventually doing assassinations for Darth Vader. Then raiding Corellian Corvettes, and fighting the Death Watch splinter group of Mandalorians.

And you made a name for yourself on the server.

I can still remember the top pistoleers, fencers, Pikemen, weaponsmiths, and merchants on Naritus. If someone had Mandalorian armor or a jetpack, it was like having Epics in WoW, but 10x more badass.

Jedi were originally things of myth, like they should be. If a Jedi pulled out his saber, anyone could attack him. A Jedi who just started out would likely get wtfpwned, but a Jedi Knight would make anyone who attacked him very sorry. When our first Jedi hit Naritus, people didnt believe it. I remember being in a battle at Coronet, the Imperials were pushing back the Rebels, about to win, when a Jedi comes out of nowhere on a speeder, kills about 6 Imperials, and is out of town before the people in the cantina get there. Most people didnt actually believe a Jedi was even there.

Now? You walk into Theed and theres 10 guys in Mandalorian armor dueling 10 Jedi in front of the Storm Troopers.

They nerfed the crafting, which was amazing. It made good crafters good. Not all weaponsmiths were equal, and most people had their personal favorite theyd go to, and noone else.

They nerfed the class system, which was the best thing ever. Being able to be any class combo. There were guys who became amazing pistoleers by dabbling in Bounty Hunting, and Smuggling, in addition to Master Pistoleer. There were guys who were amazing tanks because they put all their points into defense skills.

Some armorsmiths took combat skills to defend themselves when checking their harvesters. Some took weaponsmith so they could make all sorts of things. Some Rangers were creature handlers, and had their pets fight for them on their long trips. Some were Riflemen so they could slowly nuke creatures from cover one at a time. Some were Teras Kasi Artists so that they'd never be weaponless.

I was a master bounty hunter/rifleman. I specialized in attacking Jedi from super far away. When I needed a good weapon for Jedi hunting, I went to Dy-nod, and noone else. My droid I didnt care about, so I hit up the South Coronet Mall, run by a guy named Thompson. It leased out vendor spots to the crafters willing to pay the credits. Some guys hunted Jedi by going toe to toe with them. I found their hunting grounds and snuck outside their house at the edge of combat range. When they came back I'd start my fight, hopefully taking them down before they realized what was going on. One guy made it all the way to his door once, in an attempt to get away. He wouldve made it inside, had the droid I set up there not exploded on him.

See, what made SWG great, was that class customization. Because most bounty hunters who were Master BH/Weapons class, spent there last 33 skill points in Medic.

I spent mine in Dancer.

So when that Jedi started spamming the hate to me, I posted a screenshot on the forums. Of his corpse, with me break dancing on it. In hotpants.

Man, I miss that game.

Its so watered down now. The crafting is neutered, the classes are much thinner, and the continuity has gone so far out the window that it may reach orbit.

This.

This times a million.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    the yacht was just about the coolest thing ever in any mmo ever

especially when the pilot got himself and everyone inside blown up

uhh I'm pretty sure that the Yacht couldn't take damage, it certainly couldn't be attacked.

God. SWG thread. Sigh. The game is adrift. I predict it will sunset shortly after the Bioware offering comes out.

Even though the Bioware offering is the total opposite of what SWG was when it came out. Really, the only people playing SWG still just want to swing lightsabers.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah SWG will probably be abandoned and forgotten after TOR comes out.

There really isn't any way the swgemu project will revive it to the way it once was. Even if it was perfect the server wouldn't be able to handle as many people as a real mmo which means the community will be smaller and will loose too much.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Theres a difference.

In old SWG, you started out as a scrub. Period. You want to work for Boba Fett? Who the hell do you think you are? You can work for Sqlurm the Gran, who guards the door. After you do the whole themepark you eventually do some busy work for Fett man while hes tied up with other stuff.

You had a sense of purpose, but it you worked your way thru organizations. Starting out doing the grunt work before eventually doing assassinations for Darth Vader. Then raiding Corellian Corvettes, and fighting the Death Watch splinter group of Mandalorians.

And you made a name for yourself on the server.

I can still remember the top pistoleers, fencers, Pikemen, weaponsmiths, and merchants on Naritus. If someone had Mandalorian armor or a jetpack, it was like having Epics in WoW, but 10x more badass.

Jedi were originally things of myth, like they should be. If a Jedi pulled out his saber, anyone could attack him. A Jedi who just started out would likely get wtfpwned, but a Jedi Knight would make anyone who attacked him very sorry. When our first Jedi hit Naritus, people didnt believe it. I remember being in a battle at Coronet, the Imperials were pushing back the Rebels, about to win, when a Jedi comes out of nowhere on a speeder, kills about 6 Imperials, and is out of town before the people in the cantina get there. Most people didnt actually believe a Jedi was even there.

Now? You walk into Theed and theres 10 guys in Mandalorian armor dueling 10 Jedi in front of the Storm Troopers.

They nerfed the crafting, which was amazing. It made good crafters good. Not all weaponsmiths were equal, and most people had their personal favorite theyd go to, and noone else.

They nerfed the class system, which was the best thing ever. Being able to be any class combo. There were guys who became amazing pistoleers by dabbling in Bounty Hunting, and Smuggling, in addition to Master Pistoleer. There were guys who were amazing tanks because they put all their points into defense skills.

Some armorsmiths took combat skills to defend themselves when checking their harvesters. Some took weaponsmith so they could make all sorts of things. Some Rangers were creature handlers, and had their pets fight for them on their long trips. Some were Riflemen so they could slowly nuke creatures from cover one at a time. Some were Teras Kasi Artists so that they'd never be weaponless.

I was a master bounty hunter/rifleman. I specialized in attacking Jedi from super far away. When I needed a good weapon for Jedi hunting, I went to Dy-nod, and noone else. My droid I didnt care about, so I hit up the South Coronet Mall, run by a guy named Thompson. It leased out vendor spots to the crafters willing to pay the credits. Some guys hunted Jedi by going toe to toe with them. I found their hunting grounds and snuck outside their house at the edge of combat range. When they came back I'd start my fight, hopefully taking them down before they realized what was going on. One guy made it all the way to his door once, in an attempt to get away. He wouldve made it inside, had the droid I set up there not exploded on him.

See, what made SWG great, was that class customization. Because most bounty hunters who were Master BH/Weapons class, spent there last 33 skill points in Medic.

I spent mine in Dancer.

So when that Jedi started spamming the hate to me, I posted a screenshot on the forums. Of his corpse, with me break dancing on it. In hotpants.

Man, I miss that game.

Its so watered down now. The crafting is neutered, the classes are much thinner, and the continuity has gone so far out the window that it may reach orbit.

This.

This times a million.

I remember I was in just before the cu and nge. I was grinding like crazy on swordsman at first. That and I wanted badges so I cruised around to a bunch of places.

Eventually I went bounty hunter and man, it was nice when you would pull a contract for a million credits on a jedi. You actually had to track him. You'd use droids to locate what planet, then another droid to narrow down where on the planet he was. Then you had to stalk him. Sometimes you'd come across him in at a imperial port which meant that if you started attacking and he flashed the sabre you had imp guards attacking him too. It was all about timing, skill and making sure you knew what you were doing and in the end you got a great payoff from it.

Eventually I wound up unlocking force sensitive which turned out to be good for tranferring bh experience to jedi as it had one of the higher conversion rates of all the classes. But once the nge hit it just sucked.

I remember DWB runs though. Those were great to go through with a guild. I miss the good ol' days now.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I miss this game so much. I go through the grieving process inside every time someone brings it up. That game was like the most fun I ever had in an MMO. I really do hope it dies when TOR comes out. Because right now in my mind the way I see it is...

Let's say SWG is your significant other. You had the most fun together. You thought about SWG all the time. You might have even given SWG your MMOginity. You were on cloud 9. At the end of the day, everything would be ok, because yeah man, you had SWG waiting for you. You were going to be together forver.

And then one night some corporate lynch mob sneaks into your house in the middle of the night, and kills this person while you were sleeping. Then they turn it into a mindless zombie. And then they turn it gay. And then every once in a while you will see your Gay-Zombie-Ex-Significant Other out on the street corner sucking zombie cocks for a mere 14 bucks a month. (NTTAWWT)

Every time someone brings up SWG, this goes through my head. TOR needs to put SWG out of my misery. I mean, even my Warlock's name was inspired by my time with that game.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    <snip>

From wikipedia, "...in literary terms, a conceit[1] is an extended metaphor with a complex logic that governs an entire poem or poetic passage. By juxtaposing, usurping and manipulating images and ideas in surprising ways, a conceit invites the reader into a more sophisticated understanding of an object of comparison." Or, the definition more appropriate for my intent from Merriam-Webster, "an elaborate or strained metaphor."

Not the same thing at all as something or someone being conceited. Yours was a strained metaphor that didn't work. If for no other reason than Han Solo, Darth Vader, and the other major Star Wars characters being rather more timeless than Gabe, Tycho, and a Fruit Fucker. Throw in other factors like massively multiplayer vs single player, and yadda, yadda, yadda...

My apologies; I was thinking of the more prideful meaning of the word, which didn't really make sense to me in that context. Definitely makes more sense now.

And I agree that the comparison is flawed. But that was part of the reason why I made the comparison to the penny arcade game, so people would notice why they are different, and then perhaps stop suggesting that there is something inherently wrong with Leia or Han being in the game.

You say that those star wars characters are timeless, but I think it's more precise to say that we have more invested in them. Basically, Han Solo busting out your level one scrub in the tutorial touches on a similar nerve as Greedo shooting first. With the huge changes to the classes happening at the same time, the game performed a betrayal against investments in the game and investments in the setting. This gives plenty of reason for old players to... well, no longer hold the game in good graces, to put it nicely.

But new players who have no attachment to the old version of the game, and perhaps less attachment to the major characters, are not being betrayed, and thus have less (or even no) reason to scorn the game.

Or at least, not the same reasons.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the boat of folks that played since launch (or nearly) and invested many, many hours into this game. It was my first MMO and looking back it really wasn't that great, but I loved it. I was very sad with Jedi were added... despite the "fanboy fantasy", I really LIKED that there were none. We got to play the "little guys" of the Star Wars universe... it makes me hesitate to get excited about The Old Republic with constant "You are epic heroes with epic combat" nonsense.

My favorite memories of this game were from Kettemoor server. I ran a guild of Tusken Raiders. You could literally loot the entire costume from NPC Sand People... robes, mask, rifles, gaffis, everything. You could also ride Banthas. We had an entire little village full of people running around, dressed as Tuskens. Did a few RP events with other guilds. It was fantastic, really what the "sandbox" was meant to be. Sadly such events were few and far between, and a huge amount of work and planning.

Galaxies, you will be missed...

(Also I hope in TOR we can play Wookiees. The only thing equally as good as playing a Tusken was playing a Wookiee.)

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Not only could you loot the whole costume, but later you could repair you rep with the Raiders and become friendly with them by killing Jawas.

And who doesn't like killing Jawas?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not only could you loot the whole costume, but later you could repair you rep with the Raiders and become friendly with them by killing Jawas.

And who doesn't like killing Jawas?

Indeed. If you got it high enough you could walk around Fort Tusken with them. They would even rush to your aid if you were attacked.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah man. Old school. The problem is they never expanded any of that. If they would have done with those minor factions what WoW did with their factions (and even what SWG did with Empire/Rebel in the early days) then exploring the game might have been more fun.

I've never seen so much potential in a game evaporate completely.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For the record, it was a loooong time untill factions in WOW had a use. Far past the glory days of SWG. The potential of any such effort was unknown for the time. And even in older games like EQ and EQ2 there was hardly much of a benefit to any faction system.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    For the record, it was a loooong time untill factions in WOW had a use. Far past the glory days of SWG. The potential of any such effort was unknown for the time. And even in older games like EQ and EQ2 there was hardly much of a benefit to any faction system.
    Factions in WoW didn't have a use? So how did you originally get to Winterspring the peaceful way, then? Or get to the final boss in Molten Core?

Selective memory, dude.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just like all the rest of us did / Ghost run through and laugh at everybody grinding the rep for timbermaw.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Touché.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread makes me sad, I just finally gave up on SWG a few months ago giving in to the WoW temptation.

To the Original Poster, make sure you find one of the galaxies that have good population on them, although you can pay to transfer, Flurry, Starstrider, and Bria are a few that come to mind. SWG has a terrible "too many galaxies for the player population problem" right now.

I know half a year or so ago they offered free transfers from some of the lesser populated servers to try and correct it but as far as I know you can still roll toons on those 'dead' galaxies, so you really need to be careful, and actually use the sugested galaxy option if your unsure.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've pretty much given up on it. To break down my dancer and trader characters:

Dancer = I'm standing in the street and/or off to the sidelines of the battlefield.... watch me! Fucking A star wars yeah!!

Trader = I'm kneeling. Sometimes for hours! It takes 42 and a half mouse clicks to make a fountain drink. Fucking A star wars yeah!!

Those sound way too harsh. I think someone with a different mindset would really enjoy what this game is like. Me? I'm bored of every MMO trope and mechanic but I've also played some of the more involved ones already so although this reminds me in a good way of Ultima Online, I'm .... yeah... not gonna continue SWG.

For the vets of the game, I think you should all take a trial and go back and check it out, maybe it'll be fun again? Lemme know if the PA forum goers ever start a venture into this game. I'd go.

But I'm gonna try another MMO trial, LOTRO, keep trying to find that spark of interest.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Interestingly enough, to your point about trials, I find that one of the worst things about SWG now is the barriers to entry... especially if you are used to the old stuff.

It is, as far as I am aware, impossible to craft weapons and armor as powerful as they used to be, so if you had some of these items and they survived until decay was removed from the game, you are quantitatively more powerful than any new player could ever hope to be (not to mention there's actually a goddamn buff only for older players). There's very little direction between levels 30 and 90... and the last 10 levels are an absolute bitch to solo, even for a veteran and well geared player.

The economy is hyper inflated, if you played in any era prior to the NGE, then you likely have tens of millions of credits and hundreds of millions in assets (especially if you played in the CU era, where a BH could make 10 million a day easily), whereas a new player will probably be lucky to hit 1 million within the first three months of playing.

I was playing SWG when the "NGE" was announced (the launch name of the current class/level system), and it was literally play tested by less than two dozen actual SWG players prior to being sent out into the wild. There was no effort here to preserve anything. 80% of the game content and 60% of the game systems were summarily ruined by the NGE, period.

I think that their secret hope was that so many of the diehard players would leave that the economy would some how self-correct.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Smugglers got smuggling missions and abilities like two years ago.

Yeah but they are kind of lame, require a ridiculous amount of travel, and are, overall, broken.

They basically took their pre-existing random-ass-quest system used for the Jedi quests and tacked on some arbitrary item component to actually have you smuggle something.... that's it.

wooo

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    god I loved SWG

I remember hunting down jedi as a rifleman/bounty hunter, back when there were actual penalties for dying as a jedi.

Usually, a jedi player would plop a house down next to his favorite hunting spots, so that he could flee to the safety of his home if he saw another player on the radar. As a rifleman however, you gained a skill which would conceal you as long as you laid prone on the ground. I remember asking people for known jedi hunting grounds, concealing myself well beyond the 64 meter radar limit (or was it 128m?), and slowly crawling forward, looking for a target.

You could often get a jedi to surrender just by standing between him and his house. To be safe, I always ordered an R2-unit droid filled with explosives to stand by the door, ready to explode if he tried to make a break for it. This was when you could use pistoleer and carbineer skills with a rifle though, so I had some stupidly powerful roots I could use at long range.

I spent at least an hour soloing a mandalorian with conceal shot, hoping to get an armor piece. The corpse was bugged when I tried to loot it D:

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, to your point about trials, I find that one of the worst things about SWG now is the barriers to entry... especially if you are used to the old stuff.

It is, as far as I am aware, impossible to craft weapons and armor as powerful as they used to be, so if you had some of these items and they survived until decay was removed from the game, you are quantitatively more powerful than any new player could ever hope to be (not to mention there's actually a goddamn buff only for older players). There's very little direction between levels 30 and 90... and the last 10 levels are an absolute bitch to solo, even for a veteran and well geared player.

The economy is hyper inflated, if you played in any era prior to the NGE, then you likely have tens of millions of credits and hundreds of millions in assets (especially if you played in the CU era, where a BH could make 10 million a day easily), whereas a new player will probably be lucky to hit 1 million within the first three months of playing.

I was playing SWG when the "NGE" was announced (the launch name of the current class/level system), and it was literally play tested by less than two dozen actual SWG players prior to being sent out into the wild. There was no effort here to preserve anything. 80% of the game content and 60% of the game systems were summarily ruined by the NGE, period.

I think that their secret hope was that so many of the diehard players would leave that the economy would some how self-correct.

Its to late for me to bother cutting, but to the bolded text. The current weapon crafting system is far superior to anything from the "old game" - A year ago I was pumping out guns like crazy on my munitions trader trying to keep up with the demand for top end gun and stabbing devices. - There was NEVER a time that anybody ever would prefer to use any of the old guns over what I could make.

Oh and that buff for older players - Is absolutly useless. "Woopdy do! 20 con / agil / str!" Apparently you dont play much if you actualy think thats powerfull.

Final edit : Any new player can make 500k-1mill credits a day easily by farming parts in space. Starting at the very moment they enter the world as JTL is now standard on the base game. Theres nothing stopping anybody from making any type of money. The only problem is finding where to spend it.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    I've pretty much given up on it. To break down my dancer and trader characters:

Dancer = I'm standing in the street and/or off to the sidelines of the battlefield.... watch me! Fucking A star wars yeah!!

Trader = I'm kneeling. Sometimes for hours! It takes 42 and a half mouse clicks to make a fountain drink. Fucking A star wars yeah!!

Those sound way too harsh. I think someone with a different mindset would really enjoy what this game is like. Me? I'm bored of every MMO trope and mechanic but I've also played some of the more involved ones already so although this reminds me in a good way of Ultima Online, I'm .... yeah... not gonna continue SWG.

For the vets of the game, I think you should all take a trial and go back and check it out, maybe it'll be fun again? Lemme know if the PA forum goers ever start a venture into this game. I'd go.

But I'm gonna try another MMO trial, LOTRO, keep trying to find that spark of interest.

You're making a good choice

LOTRO is a fun game that I liked even more than WoW!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    brainsmithbrainsmith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I miss SWG, mostly for the space combat. The world needs a new X-wing vs. Tie fighter type game that doesn't require a monthly fee.

brainsmith on
    Get your own tauntaun!
  • Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just re-subscribed. I have a 90 Smuggler, and once you get with a good group of people this game gets its Zeal back some.

Also with the Legacy Quest, if you follow that chain you get taken straight up to level 50-60 while getting a huge dose of story line that isn't bad at all to play through, minus some of the senseless killing quests.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    It was dead to me from the moment it put in that stupid level based system.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game was my 2nd or 3rd MMO. I started as an artisan and learning all the languages while farming resources in Coronet. I then became a bioengineer/creature handler. Then went on to become creature handler/rifleman and then TKM/CH and finally TK/Rifleman. I used to make the bugged pets that were non-combat pets that had 10k/armor and 2k other stats. They were awesome and I sold htem for 1.5m credits each. I made 100k in a month one time, it was Glorious. Then NGE and CU happened. JTL came out and the whole game changed. Man it was so much fun. My BF and I both played, he was rebel, I was imperial and we would always disagree about what to do next in this game. Man, those were the good ol' days.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SWG was my first MMORPG (since I don't count games like Planetside) and it was a blast. I still have more stories from the three months I played SWG than I do from the 3-4 years I've played WoW.

My best friend and I both picked the game up on launch day on a whim. He went bounty hunter and I went smuggler. We both went Imperial. My friend just burnt through exp and became one of the top bounty hunters on the server. I on the other hand took my time and was a decent smuggler, but far from the most skilled. I got by through connections/charm/wit rather than skill.

My friend and I lived on Tatooine and we were fairly well known in the area. We would spend a lot of time in the cantinas just getting into trouble. I would end up starting shit with some rebels and pissing them off to the point that they'd drop concealment and at that point my friend would come in and destroy all of them with his high level BH skills. I wasn't the best fighter, but I was a dirty fighter and I could hold my own if it came down to it. If anything got too hot for us to handle we could usually count on a ton of other Imperials coming out of the woodwork to back us up. It was a great time.

One event I remember in particular was late at night on Coruscant, which was pretty much the rebel capital of my server. I can't remember the town, but I was in the cantina with my friend just starting shit with all of the well known rebels. Eventually my friend got tired and logged off. At this point all of the Rebels started getting real brave with me. If I had been smart I would have left since I was clearly outnumbered, but I had a reputation after all, so I couldn't just chicken out like that.

I wasn't about to flag myself to get jumped by everyone, but eventually one of the braver pistoleers decided he'd duel me so I didn't have to flag. Well I knew I had a good chance of getting my ass beat since I hadn't grinded out that many combat skills. I did, however, have the smuggler dirty tactics and pistol fighting trees maxed out, so I wasn't completely useless. I figured what the hell, "For the honor" and I accepted his duel.

It was an intense duel, but eventually he incapped me. Now of course I had been talking shit to these guys for the better part of an hour or two I'd imagine, so the tables had turned. Now with me incapped this guy and all of the rebels in the bar started mocking me and talking shit. I was worried that they'd kill me of course, but I had a trick up my sleeve yet. The entire time they were mocking me, getting back at me so to speak, I was watching my cheap shot tick away at the other guy's mind pool.

After about a minute or two of them mocking me (which is an eternity when you're incapped and useless) my cheap shot incapped the other guy from a mind wound. At this point my incap had worn off and I'd gained enough energy to get back up. The entire bar went silent. I got up, walked to the other guy, said something about how the honor always wins in the end and gave him a /deathblow. As I walked out the door of the cantina all I could see/hear in chat was his groupie/girlfriend-type person screaming at me.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There were really interesting ideas in Star Wars Galaxies

They just weren't adequately developed or explored, or were broken horribly after a year or two

The PvP concealment/flag system was one of them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh the horrible painful burning memories.

I was a smuggler.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two things:

Did they ever do anything with Jabba's Palace? I remember grinding out a long series of monotonous quests which were really boring and sucked. Then I got inside and had access to Jabba's throne room and there was nothing to do in there at all!

And do you guys remember the politician class. LOL.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember doing a questline there and just getting some lameass painting

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I did a bunch of bounty-hunter related quests for Boba Fett, that was all bounty-hunter like in that you track down dudes through actual investigation.

And then he gave me a (admittedly pretty nice) gun that had "spy" as a prerequisite.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Hey... I liked the paintings....

No, really, I did. One thing I loved about Galaxies was the player housing. Err, well... player houses were terrible... entire planets were covered end to end with houses where there should have been wilderness.

But INSIDE the houses... you could gather huge amounts of armor, weapons, paintings, statues, furniture, fire, creatures... people (myself humbly included) had some amazing structures and some great collections of rare items to display in any way they wished (literally any way... you could use XYZ-coordinates to move them around inside your property).

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Two things:

Did they ever do anything with Jabba's Palace? I remember grinding out a long series of monotonous quests which were really boring and sucked. Then I got inside and had access to Jabba's throne room and there was nothing to do in there at all!

And do you guys remember the politician class. LOL.

Politician is still there, its just now insta maxed and given to everybody.. People only become mayors to rob city trusts anyway.

- As for jabbas palace, some time back loot was changed to be more in tune to the selection you get from the legacy quest, and all the quests changed aswell. (You still work for all the same people, and in the same order. Just now it isnt random ass camps out in the middle of nowhere, its complex underground bases with actual goals to overcome it.) - But the end result is still sad, and by level 20 your done and out of there anyway.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel like this was one of the problems with armor/buffs

imagecgifile128677.jpg

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    As I walked out the door of the cantina all I could see/hear in chat was his groupie/girlfriend-type person screaming at me.

You should have said 'sorry about the mess'. :P

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I feel like this was one of the problems with armor/buffs

imagecgifile128677.jpg

Oh man... That reminds me of the time one of my buddys returned to the game thinking he was still hot shit after three years.... He pulled two genosians and got totaly thrown into a pedo van for that simple mistake.. He quit again soon after :lol:

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Corak wrote: »

Hey... I liked the paintings....

No, really, I did. One thing I loved about Galaxies was the player housing. Err, well... player houses were terrible... entire planets were covered end to end with houses where there should have been wilderness.

But INSIDE the houses... you could gather huge amounts of armor, weapons, paintings, statues, furniture, fire, creatures... people (myself humbly included) had some amazing structures and some great collections of rare items to display in any way they wished (literally any way... you could use XYZ-coordinates to move them around inside your property).

an oil painting in a metallic, futurey building just looks silly.

I had a badass guild hall as my house with a spaceship part storage hut outside.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
This discussion has been closed.