As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cool people you met at PAX 2009

ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Lets see... On Saturday after breakfast, I got on the elevator in the Hilton in time to ride with JoCo...

Ran into Adam Sessler 3 times on Friday; Once in the media room, once in the Cantina, and once in the bathroom... And no, I didnt break bro code and talk to him whilst at the urinal...

I got hugged by Frontalot on Saturday night...

I met Andrew Pfister and Shane Bettenhausen from 1Up Yours on Thursday...

Morgan Webb, for like a second...

Alex Albrecht twice, and a man that looked like Kevin Rose, but turned out to not be him...

Tycho early Friday morning, and Gabe and Tycho early SUNDAY morning, where my story really began...

I swear to God, Im am gonna make a blog entitled "The Fragrant Gamer"...

Oh, yeah...

I ran into 2 members of Anamanaguchi in a Chase Bank near the convention hall, after closing hours (ATM Room is seperate from the rest of the bank), who were doing some suspicious looking shit on a laptop...

Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
You can find me on:
Twitter.com: @Shaddz
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
Shaddz on

• DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A special highlight for me was Molly Lewis showing up on Saturday. She is the ukulele player with JoCo and Paul&Storm. I've been a fan of hers for a while now and I got to meet her as I exited Freezepop. She was playing with a Rubik's Cube.

DJBreslin on
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wil Wheaton signed my Omeganaut shirt and then I died. True story.

Fine fine... "died" metaphorically. Happy? I know I am.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ran into Victor Lucas shortly after he taped reviews on the run in the handheld lounge.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got a picture with Wil Wheaton, Freezepop, Frontalot, and JoCo, all with them holding a small plastic pirate.

As far as meeting people outside of PAX, I walked by a couple of the Rooster Teeth guys walking around downtown, and Front showed up to a room party I was at.

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I met Robert Khoo!!

*swoon*

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't have a whole lot of seredipitious meetings with celebrigeeks this year. Did have a few small highlights though:

Friday:

Watching the first round of the Omegathon, Gabe and his wife and son sat down right next to me in the back of the theater. The little one had just gotten a Spongebob Squarepants drawing book and was so excited to show Gabe. It was an amazingly cute moment.

Saturday:

Ran into Adam Sessler a couple of times and talked w/ him a bit about the old TechTV days. He has some strong feelings about how Paul Allen essentially just up and sold out after he was done playing around w/ broadcasting. I was impressed at the level of discourse at the panel he did with Hal Halpin on legal/censorship issues facing the industry.

Sunday:

Was allowed the honor of bowing before an exhausted looking Khoo before the last round of the Omegathon. Hardly recognized him in just a dress shirt.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • specspec Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    None of the coolest people I met were celebs. Snickers, Twinkie and eyeshuh are names that stick out as being extremely cool people that I met this year. I'm not much for celeb worship, TBH. People who are new friends that will potentially be long standing buddies of mine rank much higher on my personal coolness scale.

spec on
  • MagesMages Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got called out at wanting to become a VIP so I could sit next to Khoo and court him into a marriage with me. I'm serious at least 5 people realized it after I said the name Khoo about 10 times per conversation.

Mages on
  • CalyaCalya Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Laura and her friends in line behind me for Wil on Friday were hella cool.

Also met the two behind Second Skin at dinner Friday night and supplied them with candy on Saturday.

And Sandy from Vancouver, BC.

I gotta say the celebrities are great and I love to see them, but really I just love the feel surrounded by the attendees. For the most part everyone is super cool, fair and understand me.

I just freaking Love PAX.

Calya on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everybody.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    spec wrote: »
    I'm not much for celeb worship, TBH.

The celeb worship at Wil Wheaton's speech creeped me out a bit. I ended up leaving early because of it.

edit: though the panties or bra or whatever that got thrown at him WAS pretty funny

Drakmathus on
  • HATEHATE Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gabe and Tycho of course
    Wil Wheaton...
    and last but not least, all the Omeganauts were fantastic!

HATE on
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    2009 Omeganaut
  • IncompetentCameraGuyIncompetentCameraGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everyone from Vancouver that I met were awesome.

Frontalot, Gabe and Tycho were awesome.

IncompetentCameraGuy on
    Old enough to know better, stupid enough to do it anyway.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every single person from PAX I met was cool.

Except the fake bartender in the Mafia 2 booth/bar. That guy was a total dick.

The_Reflection on
  • oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    friday:
    first thing that we did, someone asked us for our picture, it was TIM freaking SCHAFER! we got a picture with him
    saw adam sessler, he cut in line at the tim schafer signing...he signed my bag XD

saturday: saw tim schafer again, met jhonen vasquez,

sunday:
    met paul and storm XDDDDdd (got a dejected arrr t-shirt)
    .....met some awesome enforcers throughout the weekend!! XD thanks again enforcers!

oyasumidesu on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tim Schafer
    Wil Wheaton
    Paul & Storm

The BioWare devs were super friendly.

Chilled with a lot of enforcers.

Met Valwryn at the post-pax dinner.

Pretty much everyone was cool.

parabola on
  • TranceAddictFoXTranceAddictFoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everyone I met at PAX was cool. The Enforcers were awesome and I really enjoyed the guys running the BYOC section, especially the guy who I stabbed in the back in COD4 to win a prize. I'm horrible with names though and don't remember any of them. Thx everyone for an awesome weekend! :mrgreen:

TranceAddictFoX on
  • Iron CurtainIron Curtain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would say Anamanaguchi and MC Frontalot, which I did meet, but I meet them all the time in my native NYC.

Let's see, cool people I met: Tycho (who probably meant me, along with other people, when he said he met people who were "fucking awesome"), the folks at Telltale (with whom I shared a hotel), Emily Morganti (former PR queen/face of Telltale), Dominic Armato (voice of Guybrush Threepwood), Tom French of Pandemic Entertainment (next to whom I sat on a JetBlue flight from NYC to Seattle), Ron Gilbert (the expo's keynote speaker, and legendary game designer), the Mega 64 crew, Paul, Storm, Freezepop, Metroid Metal, JoCo (who actually recognized me from a previous encounter whilst playing guitar for John Hodgman), a little bit of Wil Wheaton (I kinda cut in line to say something to Wil (thereby violating Wheaton's rule) because the line was long and so slow that calling its pace a snail's pace would be an insult to snails), the developers of the game "liight" (whose name escapes me), some people who work at Harmonix, DJPretzel, Larry Oji, Beefy, Karl Olson, Zen Albatross (whom I know from NYC, see MC Frontalot and Anamanaguchi)...

Sorry, I guess I was rambling on...

Iron Curtain on
  • xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My friends saw Adam Sessler while out at Gameworks (i think) on thursday night.
    Saw Morgan Webb play MAG right when PAX opened on Friday.

The Guys from Behemoth were really nice and friendly especially Dan as he was kind enough to draw on both of my Castle Crashers figures.

Ran into Liz Enthusiasm of Freezepop while in the main theater before their show on Sat.

Saw Tycho on the second or third floor he had a line of wonderful fans to meet him.

Wil Wheaton was leaving the bathroom as i was coming in near the main theater right before the Assassins Creed II showing.

On sunday after playing left 4 dead 2 the guy from Valve notice my companion cube tattoo and wanted to take a picture of it and told me that he worked on portal it brought many smiles to my face and of course i had to get a picture of him.

Another friend claims that on his airplane ride to his layover (from seattle to chicago) he sat next to Frontalot and his keyboard player.

I met many other wonderful people and received many nice compliments on my tattoos (zombies on my upper left arm and John Carpenters The Thing on my upper right arm and the weighted companion cube on my right forearm). Thanks to everyone who was nice to me!

xibalba on
  • loserishloserish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seems like every time I turned around I bumped into Bill Amend. I hope he didn't think I was tracking him or something.

loserish on
  • PoisonRamunePoisonRamune Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The highlight of PAX for me was getting introduced to Tim Cain by one of my friends that used to work for Troika and making Tim laugh with some stupid joke about Lego Rock Band.

I also made a huge faux pas by telling Ron Gilbert that I'm not a big fan of Monkey Island (I didn't realize it was him when we were talking at the TellTale booth).

PoisonRamune on
    rwn_bannersmlpa.gif
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And to think, Ive been calling it the PAX Pox for the past 2 years...

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • WhizWartWhizWart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The poor guy from Singapore who I asked if he was from Japan. The way he explained it let me know that whitey makes this mistake daily. Huzah and kudos to you, sir! You took it in stride.

Sessler from a distance, but that was all I needed.

Adam Burch from Destructiod. How he gets his parents in his films, I shall never know.

WhizWart on
  • FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Met lots of awesome people gaming, lots of D&D and tabletop folks. Had two especially fun rounds of L4D (first time I'd played and we had a blast!) And while showing off munchkin skillz, also collectively ribbed a guy taking out 'whack a catgirl'. Yeah, I don't know either.

On the Celeb side, of course Gabe and Tycho, but we also had breakfast saturday and sunday with the Metroid Metal guys, that was pretty awesome!

Fenrisknight on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Everybody.

Beat me to it, heh.

Houn on
  • WolfboyWolfboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Talked to the Rooster Teeth guys a bit when they signed my DVD set, but other than that not much unless you count my friend and I almost tackling Adam Sessler while pushing through crowds...whoopsies

Wolfboy on
    wolfboysig.jpg
  • PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DeejayKnight from gamingtruth
    Angry Joe from angryjoeshow
    DJ Wheat
    Stephen Toulouse the Director of Policy and Enforcement for Xbox LIVE
    DeaconBlade and Dangerdoll from Unscipted 360
    Edie Sellers from Game Hounds

PimpMethod on
  • oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ...cool ppl i met at pax?? well here is the first thing that happened!
    IMG_1934.jpg
    XDDDDDDD

oyasumidesu on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To whomever I met in line for the Twitter and Beyond panel -- the guy who used to run Aion Source -- should he ever read these forums: Good luck with the job search. If you find one before me, get me hired somewhere, too. ;)

(I was the guy from IGN Vault.)

babelfish on
This discussion has been closed.