As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    me1w.jpg

In the mood for something different.

Charis on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys check out this awesome character I made:

diaper_lobster.jpg

PROX on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm afraid to ask

why hes the Diaper Lobster

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Charis wrote: »
    me1w.jpg

In the mood for something different.

*high five for being awesome*

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    There will be lengthening and rotation to fix those mistakes

her left leg right?

also, holy crap, I inspired somebody!

Don't get excited. You inspire me to reach new heights of assholeishness every day.

whoa whoa whoa let's not mix up master and amateur here

Tam on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    pixies.png

some elemental pixie ideas i've been throwing around/practicing a new style. do you guys think they'd look better with shading?

mensch-o-matic on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

photopd.jpg

In other news, it looks like I'm going to be shown at a gallery downtown in a "up and coming artists show"! Ha! Finally out of the campus gallery!
    Tam wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to fix it, probably has something to do with values or the lighting, but there is no depth in that picture at all.
    both. also the color. the white doesn't transition into the "orange," it's just laid over it. the blacks are too black in contrast to that color. and then the objects have outlines, which tends to take away from depth.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask

why hes the Diaper Lobster

I think it's pretty obvious.

very Nice Charis.

mensch: dont ever use that word...STYLE. the colors are like an ipod commercial. Your shapes need refinement. Eliminate equal spacing and tangents.

srizzy: work on your values and don't rely on lines.

PROX on
    edited September 2009
    That's not his drawing, numbnuts

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    Tam knows exactly when to use insults, and just the right ones.

Charis on
    edited September 2009
    I took a correspondence course.

Tam on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you also offer a correspondence course? I'd like to learn from the best.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009
    No, I'm not certified to teach yet.

It seems like I'm always ragging on PROX.
    PROX, you know I love you, right?

Tam on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the middle of a windfall lately. Apparently I'm going to be shown at one gallery downtown, and another wants my portfolio ASAP. Awesome. Exciting times.

Anyways, study for the next painting. I'm not a huge fan of gords, but the show I'm for sure in whats another, bigger gord painting from me.

28642303b6d2de75ec8a4a5.jpg

TheMorningStar on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    haha, I know. It's awesome.

I'm trying to stand on the shoulder of a giant.

THANK GOD cezanne didn't have a mirror.

Or gravity where he painted.

http://www.navigo.com/wm/paint/auth/cezanne/sl/cezanne.compotier-pitcher-fruit.jpg

So, what is this? Are you justifying your skewed still life items by comparing it to what Cezanne was doing?
    ...because there're specific things that make the painting you posted successful. Not one of which is similar to what you have going on there.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the middle of a windfall lately. Apparently I'm going to be shown at one gallery downtown, and another wants my portfolio ASAP. Awesome. Exciting times.

Anyways, study for the next painting. I'm not a huge fan of gords, but the show I'm for sure in whats another, bigger gord painting from me.

28642303b6d2de75ec8a4a5.jpg

Now you're leaning to the right.

E: I mean you're still leaning to the right, I wonder if it's a positional thing. Do you draw leaning backwards in a chair or perched over your arts like a hungry vulture?

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    It does have strong anti-union undertones.

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    haha, I know. It's awesome.

I'm trying to stand on the shoulder of a giant.

THANK GOD cezanne didn't have a mirror.

Or gravity where he painted.

http://www.navigo.com/wm/paint/auth/cezanne/sl/cezanne.compotier-pitcher-fruit.jpg

So, what is this? Are you justifying your skewed still life items by comparing it to what Cezanne was doing?
    ...because there're specific things that make the painting you posted successful. Not one of which is similar to what you have going on there.

What is this? Something I posted yesterday?

And I'm trying to use similar tricks Cezanne without stealing from him, leaning items is apart of this, along with horizon lines that dont line up and so on.

What to see more of my poor Cezanne imitation? Here:
    28552111.jpg

Ill stop mentioning Cezanne though, because people keep thinking I'm comparing myself to him, when I'm just giving a reference point from which I'm working.

Anyways, people seem to like my work around here.

TheMorningStar on
    edited September 2009
    nah, it's too flat.

Tam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Very nice

winter_combat_knight on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Why am I so shit at oil painting

continued work on illustration, I thought the arms would make more sense when fleshed out with rimlights so it was clearer what was happening with them, but yeah that didn't happen. So if you're wondering, that's why they still look stupid and I'm sorry.

Small 3 hour still life of shit on my stove. Obviously didn't spend enough time on the drawing because I was rushing to get to the painting before class started, suffered for it as evidenced by the pot lid being extremely poorly defined and terrible and the stove coil not being in there at all.

oils_crap_1.jpg
    :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    I AM NOT HAVING A GOOD PAINTING DAY IF YOU COULDN'T TELL

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2009
    I like the last one a lot.

edit: what size canvas?

TheMorningStar on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    6"x8"

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the still-life, mang! The rooster piece feels like it's got too much black in it, but I dunno if that's yo thang.

NightDragon on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    my stove consist of art papers everywhere, its very fire safe

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited September 2009
    Tell me you're going to hang that stove top piece in your kitchen.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well at least you've found a legitimate use for your filthy dishes, apart from harbouring poisonous spores.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    Why am I so shit at oil painting

oils_crap_1.jpg
    :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    I AM NOT HAVING A GOOD PAINTING DAY IF YOU COULDN'T TELL

With the top one, i think its working well. I think the colours, lighting and technique are good. i think if you where to add VERY faint details outside of the door (light clouds, distant mountain tops, sun etc), it would create another element of interest. Though that could be distracting and screw up the entire image. Why dont you like it?

Bottom one is awesome :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • jeekorjeekor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Little doodle from today, just a made up helicopter...

HeliSketch.png

and one from awhile ago...

spaceshipsandasteroids.png

jeekor on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jeekor wrote: »
    spaceshipsandasteroids.png

"Captain! Surely there's a more economical way to cut fries from out of theses space potatoes?"

desperaterobots on
  • jeekorjeekor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

"Captain! Surely there's a more economical way to cut fries from out of theses space potatoes?"

hahah I couldn`t have said it better myself. Thanks for the laugh!

all i have to add is:
    potatoes.gif

jeekor on
    edited September 2009
    kierra.jpg

I tried drawing her twice in photoshop and failed tiwce. Now I'm just going a different route. Going to add some stuff as well.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Make decisions on your lines, man. Every edge on that chick is sprouting serious fur. Make a line, decide on it, use line weight. Making furry lines is a poor thing to do, and a crutch. It allows you to not decide on a true line. If you went over that drawing and could only put one line where all that fur was, you'd find that some of your proportions and spaces would be off, and it would be hard to get it to look like it did with the furry lines. You'd have pretty much redraw it anyways.

No furs.

Charis on
    edited September 2009
    Make decisions on your lines, man. Every edge on that chick is sprouting serious fur. Make a line, decide on it, use line weight. Making furry lines is a poor thing to do, and a crutch. It allows you to not decide on a true line. If you went over that drawing and could only put one line where all that fur was, you'd find that some of your proportions and spaces would be off, and it would be hard to get it to look like it did with the furry lines. You'd have pretty much redraw it anyways.

No furs.

wurd, I''ll give it another shot.

Edit:

CRAP! LONG NECKS!....among other things I see...*sigh*...

kierra_1.jpg

In the words of Sean Connary from the movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

"Very American, Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target."

This applies to my how I've been using my lines.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Well, it looks a lot better than the last ones I drew. Still shit in a way though. I'm just going to live with the mistakes, so they stare at me when i'm asleep at night.

kierra_copy.jpg

I'm happy enough to start coloring it though.

edit: Shit cock! her head is deflating.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    That is true! But your lines look lightyears better, and it looks more like it's on the way to being a finished piece.

Charis on
    edited September 2009
    :D Thanks.

kierrainkz_copy_1.jpg

She's "done", but this painting is still not done. I got to add a mecha panda behind her.

To beavo-I'm using more blues :D...i hope its less flat than my other paints I do. >3>

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    helpqc.jpg

Way too yellow! She looks jaundiced. I changed the hue and a bit of the saturation of her skin to get a more human tone. I'd also suggest a stronger lightsource. I didn't even realize it was based more on the left side of her face until I painted it over onto the right side and noticed the difference in highlight colors. You should study the planes of the face a bit. Take a picture of yourself and note the three lightest spots on your face. Note the three darkest. See where your nose merges with your forehead. Things like that.

You also have a difference in eye shape, which I draw there, and her head is looking mighty wide on the top. I drew in some quick lines where I thought it might look better. Not perfect, but it gets rid of that bobblehead look a little.

With the shading, I would probably go a bit darker than I did, and that purple I shaded with isn't perfect, but it gives you more of a chance.

Charis on
    edited September 2009

Way too yellow! She looks jaundiced. I changed the hue and a bit of the saturation of her skin to get a more human tone. I'd also suggest a stronger lightsource. I didn't even realize it was based more on the left side of her face until I painted it over onto the right side and noticed the difference in highlight colors. You should study the planes of the face a bit. Take a picture of yourself and note the three lightest spots on your face. Note the three darkest. See where your nose merges with your forehead. Things like that.

You also have a difference in eye shape, which I draw there, and her head is looking mighty wide on the top. I drew in some quick lines where I thought it might look better. Not perfect, but it gets rid of that bobblehead look a little.

With the shading, I would probably go a bit darker than I did, and that purple I shaded with isn't perfect, but it gives you more of a chance.

Dah fuck crackers...

You are really good, you pointed out the things I was saying to myself when i was painting this.

"I really need to study the face planes more."

"I'm confused by my own light source, i'mma gonna fake it..."

and moving her eyes all the way up there is going to be a pain...

I should shave some hair off on the sides?
    Less yellow, better light source, shavey shave, eye shape.

I'll hope back on it after I eatz.

EDIT!:

kierrainkz_copy_2.jpg

Crap! I just noticed how bloody bright she is, omg. I was painting this on my lap top monitor. Then I added my other monitor, for duel screen, and OMG, mega difference. No wonder i didn't notice how yellow/bright she was.

I'm about to touch it up again, but I'm done flooding this forum, omg, didn't notice how much I was posting, Sorry peeps.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    looking good Pious. I wonder how it would look if you removed the line work and painted in the darker tones... hmmmm.

winter_combat_knight on
This discussion has been closed.