As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[miniphalla] Phallanx: A Newbie Phalla - Game Over. Mafia win.

• Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, wow!

So many of my role model players have signed up to be mentors!

SO. EXCITED.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, there are no bros in phalla. Ask Vagrant_winds and Julius Caezure about Okami. Just because they are "good guys" in the last game you played together doesn't mean that they are good in this game. Trust no one 100%.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We have mentors this game, which I was hoping would put an end to the skyblue comments because they are silly and distracting.

JC, do the right thing, just get rid of skyblue.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, there are no bros in phalla. Ask Vagrant_winds and Julius Caezure about Okami. Just because they are "good guys" in the last game you played together doesn't mean that they are good in this game. Trust no one 100%.
    Corollary: Is it a Main Phalla in Critical Failures?
    B:L is never evil.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Corollary: Is it a Main Phalla in Critical Failures?
    B:L is never evil.

Just be careful for conversion games, since you never know who you can trust in those.

Conversions make it extremely hard to network up, since any conversion in the network would compromise the identity of everyone in it instantly. Having a single mouthpiece to be your voice and network head would be the safest option as a seer.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    We have mentors this game, which I was hoping would put an end to the skyblue comments because they are silly and distracting.

He did say he wanted it limited. Probably a lot more limited than what we've done, but this is all some good general pre-game advise, so I don't think it's too big of a deal as long as it's gone when the game starts.

Also, remember, it's a game. Have fun. Play to win, of course, but you should be enjoying yourself overall.

And now I'll be quiet 'till I get my victi-- ahem, mentee.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I actually agree with this. These are getting to be more back-and-forth discussions. I doubt every newbie will read all of this anyway, and if they do I think they have enough information to get them started. Any further inquiries should be to their mentor.

Really, too many of these SkyBlue comments are referring to specific games or memes and basically acting like a chat/halfway argument amongst the experienced players.

I say we stick with the mentor thing, and then let everyone comment after the game to give tips on what people should have done.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    A special note to villagers:

Your job is NOT to act as a meatshield and attract enough attention to yourself so you get killed instead of a special. Christ, this is possibly the most harmful mentality you can have playing phalla, that you are just a pawn in the grand scheme of things, yes I see countless people recommend this as a good strategy.

Had to get this out.

A corollary to this point, however, is that you also shouldn't act evil and suspicious just to prolong your own survival at the detriment of the village's chances of winning and to give yourself a better chance if you're evil in later games.
    As a matter of preference, you should also not be constantly inactive, postining the minimum requirement for a game and drive-by voting (that is, voting without any real reasoning and walking away) consistently just so no one can get a read on you or for whatever other reason you dream up.

You're not really taking part in the game that way and this really only helps YOU individually, mostly when you are evil.

If the mafia considered you dangerous and you got killed, you did your job. Ideally, this happens when you're not one of the main village specials.

Actually, if the mafia consider you dangerous enough to kill you, well, congratulations. Maybe if you ask the mafia gently they'll dump a "Most Dangerous Vanillager" medal, stuff you and expose you somewhere in Naples, I heard there was a mafia exhibits for kind like you.

As it stands, it's the opposite: If you get killed by the mafia, you haven't done your job - your job just came to an abrupt end. Then all you can do after this is hope someone else take up your job and finish what you started.

Because in the end, as a village aligned anything, your only job is to win and kill all the mafia. Nothing more, nothing less.

And a tip for the mafia: sometimes, a good vanillager is infinitely more dangerous than a village special. That was one of the things I learned when I became mafia for the first time.
    If you are in a perfect world and the mafia is full of retards, then yes you strike some sort of perfect balance where you consistently vote out mafia while not being considered dangerous enough to be killed and ride that all the way to victory.

In the real world, if you are effective, you are killed. This is a team game, you did your part, if you still lose overall, it's not your fault. Live with that.

If you are ineffective, hilariously so, then you are kept alive while the mafia abuses your terrible theories.

If you are TOO ineffective, you're probably also killed for being a likely hiding special. Unless you have a history of being terrible, at which point you have bigger problems.

Way to go and COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT. Dying is not a fucking cause for celebration, even if it meant the death of a fucking special. Whether the mafia is good or you are terrible has squat to do with it.

You are happy with dying, you are dumb. That's all.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I hadn't had a chance to collect tidbits from everyone like I wanted, so I was going to allow the skyblue comments until the game started. At which point, mentors will be assigned and vet commenting will be off. Until it starts, I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to read as many viewpoints as possible to see just how screwed up we all are :)

If the new players think it's getting to be too much in pre-game, I will politely ask the vets to refrain from commenting, but unless I get complaints from the actual players, I'm going to stick with my plan to allow them pre-game.

However, I will ask Dac Vin and Spectrum to either get a room or take it outside (I don't remember you two sniping before - I'm not asking for clarification, just observing).

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I hadn't had a chance to collect tidbits from everyone like I wanted, so I was going to allow the skyblue comments until the game started. At which point, mentors will be assigned and vet commenting will be off. Until it starts, I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to read as many viewpoints as possible to see just how screwed up we all are :)

If the new players think it's getting to be too much in pre-game, I will politely ask the vets to refrain from commenting, but unless I get complaints from the actual players, I'm going to stick with my plan to allow them pre-game.

However, I will ask Dac Vin and Spectrum to either get a room or take it outside (I don't remember you two sniping before - I'm not asking for clarification, just observing).

I like the sky blue. I'm learning a lot. Maybe I'll construct a guide-book! :mrgreen:

Actually, I dunno if it's worth it.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That's what the wiki is for.

Speaking of which, I half-assedly merged your new Bandwagon article into the old one. Somebody else feel free to actually properly integrate it, thanks. <3

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a game. Have fun. Change your play style up as much as you can. Don't take insults or other things thrown around in game too personally. Most of the time, they're just in game things. There are people that take it super serious, and there are people who don't.

Roleplaying tends to be 'discouraged' by other players. Fuck em. Do what you want. You might get killed (assholes) but fuck em.

Have fun.

Grudges can be good. Use them. Psychology can help, but it can hurt as well.

All the advice that we give you can be helpful, but you'll learn your own way to play the game and have fun with it. So take everything that we say as advice, not as gospel. Play the game for yourself.

And i'm done.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's a game. Have fun. Change your play style up as much as you can. Don't take insults or other things thrown around in game too personally. Most of the time, they're just in game things. There are people that take it super serious, and there are people who don't.

Roleplaying tends to be 'discouraged' by other players. Fuck em. Do what you want. You might get killed (assholes) but fuck em.

Have fun.

Grudges can be good. Use them. Psychology can help, but it can hurt as well.

All the advice that we give you can be helpful, but you'll learn your own way to play the game and have fun with it. So take everything that we say as advice, not as gospel. Play the game for yourself.

And i'm done.

And don't forget role calls. :P
    <3

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obviously this is not a reason to be a total jackass. See SmugglyMcWeed in the last newbie phalla.

There are ethics to learn.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think grudges can be goodo_O , and I think that it's disrespectful to the other people playing if you don't do your best to win. Role playing or shenanigans are whatever can be fun sometimes, but don't go overboard with them and dominate the thread, and don't get so caught up in them that you stop playing the game.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    grudges can be good because you never need to think about who to vote for on day one. And you can play the game to win and still have fun. That's all that I'm saying, really. It doesn't all have to be completely serious all the time.

Also, don't listen to anything we say. We're all biased

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Except Infidel. He's not biased.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I concur, just look at his beard - he can't be biased.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Except Infidel. He's not biased.

He hates everyone equally! And kime loves cake! Post cake pics and he won't kill you. Most of the time.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, one last thing, and then i promise that i'm going to stop bluing this place up.

If you're going to ask for help, or information, or anything from anybody. DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE! Do not threaten, do not be rude. It will get you nowhere. Ask JC

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, one last thing, and then i promise that i'm going to stop bluing this place up.

If you're going to ask for help, or information, or anything from anybody. DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE! Do not threaten, do not be rude. It will get you nowhere. Ask JC
    Network head: A confirmed village aligned player who leads the village specials in trying to find the mafia. He or she is the public target and generally the sole point of contact.

Advanced Theory Warning (on networks and leading them):
    As a counterpoint, some players are notoriously tight-lipped and will only give you, the network head, the information you so desperately crave to solve the puzzle that is Phalla, with a mild amount of threats, cajoling, and kicking down doors. They trust no one, even someone who is confirmed, but want to just keep playing the game quietly. Violence can serve you well.

The lesson is to know your audience. Some people will only give you something if you are nice, some people will only give you something if you repeatedly spam their PM box and kick down their doors.

It doesn't hurt to try being nice first, however.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh.

No talking in code. No talking in elvish. or klingon. or anything that would require translation. Some restrictions like replacing some letters is allowed. At all.

Also, whether you're being pushy for information or not, still keep in mind that there should always be a level of respect. You are going to see name-calling and being rude. That is NOT how this should be. That is not how our community should be at all. But that is something for another time.

Be. Respectful.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obviously this is not a reason to be a total jackass. See SmugglyMcWeed in the last newbie phalla.

There are ethics to learn.

http://www.orokos.com/phalla/Smuggly

He has been added to the phallawiki for all future needs of "how not to post"

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ehhhhh... !signup

3 phallas
    PST

I reserve the right to grudge my mentor

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess, I'll !signup, too.

No Phallas yet, although I did play several real life Mafia Games and read some threads here. I'm German and that means GMT+1 and that I will attribute any suspicious behavior on my part to the language barrier.

Also first Clarification request: You said that the 4 special roles in the OP will be in this game. Will there be other special roles?

On the topic of the blue spam: It's fine for me, I don't mind it. I just got confused when several of the mentors started posting in orange which I thought was reserved for clarifications and so on.

Grobian on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Ehhhhh... !signup

3 phallas
    PST

I reserve the right to grudge my mentor

I like this one!

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Grobian wrote: »
    Also first Clarification request: You said that the 4 special roles in the OP will be in this game. Will there be other special roles?

Not in this phase of the game. This phase is intended to be a fairly regular ("vanilla") miniphalla. There will be a small networked mafia that will have daily kills available to them, and an uninformed village majority. The village specials this game consist of only one pair of masons, one vigilante, one seer, and one guard.

Assuming there is sufficient interest and enjoyment from the participants, once the first phase is over and someone has won, I will restart the game, allow anyone who did not enjoy it or does not wish to continue to stop playing, and open up a second "advanced mechanics" phase where there will be specials galore and all kinds of other goodies.

And thanks for signing up!

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not against the blue text either.

At this point it looks like we still have a few spots open. Come on folks, signup! Should be a good game by the looks of it and I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about it.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do I need to post flavor narration to attract more players? Is that what this is missing?

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't believe there is that many newbies that float around here. This has to be the longest sign-ups in phalla. Most mini sign-ups are done in 2 hours.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The last newbie mini took about a week between signups and game start. I was hoping from the interest shown pre-game that this would be considerably shorter, but I was still counting on a couple of days.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You could perhaps ask mods of other forums if you could make a quick post in their forum's [chat] thread to advertise for any potential players that wouldn't necessarily check CF?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My first game was Guess Who, so I've never done a newbie and I've paid for it. Many times. Its cool how we can take a step back and make a simple game for our latest [strike]victims[/strike] phallans who are equal to us in every way. 0;)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    You could perhaps ask mods of other forums if you could make a quick post in their forum's [chat] thread to advertise for any potential players that wouldn't necessarily check CF?

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. There's probably quite a few that don't even look into CF so it wouldn't hurt to ask some mods if you could post something about it in the [chat] threads.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't believe there is that many newbies that float around here. This has to be the longest sign-ups in phalla. Most mini sign-ups are done in 2 hours.
    That's not even remotely true and you know it.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

what

how

i mean, you got a time distortion machine or what

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

what

how

I do, actually. I also have a transmorgifier machine and a time machine. It was an all in one deal at a local garage sale.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

what

how

I do, actually. I also have a transmorgifier machine and a time machine. It was an all in one deal at a local garage sale.

Calvin and Hobbes moved?

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I definitely don't feel like enough of a big name player to be a mentor in this, but it'll definitely be interesting to watch.

Ebfan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    To become a big name player, you must be a) a rememberable player in a good or bad way and/or b) very influential in playing games. Some players are big names for doing things that makes everyone like or hate them. (Kime=like, JC=hate. J/k) Some are the kind that can make even that worst bullshit believable. (Spectrum, JC). The number of games isn't a big factor in how you get on the Samurai's Big Name Players List. Its how you play. Kinda like sports Hall of Fame. And how many cookies you give me. (Orange Soda)

samurai6966 on