As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney to buy Marvel for 4 Billion

• BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Disney licenses out its properties just like Marvel does? I thought that wasn't the case based on an article I read about their Disney Princesses line, which suggested that they were in full control of the production of associated merchandise.

Anyway, Disney would be affected through sales of their Marvel merchandise, or sales of licenses to Marvel merchandise if that's how things are.

Also, I still don't see how making any changes at Marvel at all constitutes "business suicide". Since most books don't feature graphic violence or disturbing content, one imagines that the entire line would be largely unaffected, even if you think that gore has a positive impact on sales.

Disney definitely licenses its properties. It's why they have a licensing division.

Most of Marvel's titles are rated at least teen and usually have some degree of violence or gore.
    You don't make sweeping changes across a business when they aren't needed. It presents an unnecessary risk and an unnecessary risk in business is, essentially, suicide. Especially when you're talking billions of dollars.

Beyond that, why do you think gore, etc would present a problem for Marvel in terms of selling merchandise. Marvel is still, and has been, operating within the status quo and their business has been doing nothing but growing.

Frankly, there's just no case for Disney to make sweeping changes. Anyone sitting in a boardroom at Disney/Marvel would realize this same thing. Anything that becomes "kid oriented" will be something either grown organically out of what already exists (ie: expanding the Marvel adventures line) or be built from the ground up.

Not to mention that kids are not the primary reader of Marvel comics. If you're buying a company for its IP, why would you then go and make changes that would alienate the main audience, whose devotion is what made the IP so valuable in the first place? It would be the reverse of buying My Little Ponies--specifically because they're so widely followed by little girls--then having them start killing each other to appeal to a different demographic.

BostonGangler on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wolviemickeyx.jpg

Seriously though, I agree with Crimsondude. I think this good news rather than bad news, and it's a smart move for both businesses involved. I just hope it helps fuel the really awesome but struggling comics like Agents of Atlas, and isn't a death sentence for them.

Desktop Hippie on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i think the novelty of the disney/marvel amalgam just wore off

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought Filmdrunk.com summed it up perfectly:
    Here’s the requisite, ridiculously oblique quote from the press release:
    “This transaction combines Marvel’s strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney’s creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories [i.e., selling toys],” said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company.

Translation: “We really like yer cow, so we’re gonna milk it till it sh’ts blood.”

Crimsondude on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    i think the novelty of the disney/marvel amalgam just wore off

it won't wear off until someone gives me Loki Goofy or Alice in Wonderland as Sin, Daughter of Red Skull

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I laughed out loud at Matt Fraction's suggestion that Wolverine's healing factor would only work if the readers clapped their hands and believed in him.

Desktop Hippie on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wolviemickeyx.jpg

Seriously though, I agree with Crimsondude. I think this good news rather than bad news, and it's a smart move for both businesses involved. I just hope it helps fuel the really awesome but struggling comics like Agents of Atlas, and isn't a death sentence for them.

Never. The duck-Modoks just have me craving more

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited September 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    Alice in Wonderland as Sin, Daughter of Red Skull

A challenge, eh?

Wow. If ever someone had license to yell out "I'm rich, bitch!" he does.

The DA and Bambi covers are just swell

Crimsondude on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I laughed out loud at Matt Fraction's suggestion that Wolverine's healing factor would only work if the readers clapped their hands and believed in him.

Ok, I just did too.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A challenge, eh?

Avi Arad is seriously kicking himself for selling his majority of Marvel stock right now.

Hensler on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Bambi-Punisher teamup idea has merit too.

Wildcat on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    The Bambi-Punisher teamup idea has merit too.

Frank Castle needs to punish the hunter who shot Bambi's mom. :(

emnmnme on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What If? Goofy found the Crimson Jem of Cytorrak?

Nick Fury and his Rescue Rangers

Mr. Fantastic's Wild Ride

Herbie vs. H.E.R.B.I.E

Tach on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

A challenge, eh?

Avi Arad is seriously kicking himself for selling his majority of Marvel stock right now.

Welcome to [url]Http://.com[/url]!

Langly on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I know is this means the Kingdom Hearts games are going to be even more confusing.

Though, seeing Kefka VS Dr Doom VS Goofy would be amazing.

Mr Pink on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    All I know is this means the Kingdom Hearts games are going to be even more confusing.

Though, seeing Kefka VS Dr Doom VS Scar would be amazing.

Have no idea why you stuck Goofy in there.

Kyougu on
    edited September 2009
    Langly wrote: »

A challenge, eh?

Fixed.

Also, blow me.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2009
    I've been thinking about it, and I really hope this means good things for Marvel Adventures. That line really seems to have the most to gain because it's all-ages and is the least worrisome to the mouse men.

And any increase in Tigra (or, actually given the impending "reboot"-ish type thing, Black Widow) merchandise is most definitely a good thing.

Crimsondude on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2009
    Langly wrote: »

A challenge, eh?

Fixed.

Also, blow me.

No, blow me.

DJ Eebs on
  • DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Disney licenses out its properties just like Marvel does? I thought that wasn't the case based on an article I read about their Disney Princesses line, which suggested that they were in full control of the production of associated merchandise.

Anyway, Disney would be affected through sales of their Marvel merchandise, or sales of licenses to Marvel merchandise if that's how things are.

Also, I still don't see how making any changes at Marvel at all constitutes "business suicide". Since most books don't feature graphic violence or disturbing content, one imagines that the entire line would be largely unaffected, even if you think that gore has a positive impact on sales.

Disney definitely licenses its properties. It's why they have a licensing division.

Most of Marvel's titles are rated at least teen and usually have some degree of violence or gore.
    You don't make sweeping changes across a business when they aren't needed. It presents an unnecessary risk and an unnecessary risk in business is, essentially, suicide. Especially when you're talking billions of dollars.

Beyond that, why do you think gore, etc would present a problem for Marvel in terms of selling merchandise. Marvel is still, and has been, operating within the status quo and their business has been doing nothing but growing.

Frankly, there's just no case for Disney to make sweeping changes. Anyone sitting in a boardroom at Disney/Marvel would realize this same thing. Anything that becomes "kid oriented" will be something either grown organically out of what already exists (ie: expanding the Marvel adventures line) or be built from the ground up.

I agree with this. Why would Disney buy the brand in order to change the readership demographic? Doesn`t make sense to me.

I`m betting for the most part we don`t see a change in most marvel publications. But probably a larger amount of kids comics will be printed, as well as some of the Disney properties finding themsleves with monthly mags under marvel comics. Definitely we`ll see more marvel cartoons, Probably more film projects, the direct to video will get bigger.

DeJesus on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope Disney does not kill Marvel.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    I am a dick. Apologies all around for that. Sorry.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2009
    Bleeding Cool has some interesting commentary about the implications of the deal in Europe, particularly in Italy where Disney is now to all intents and purposes competing primarily against itself.

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here is a good (probably more wishful thinking than anything) article form Brian Hibbs on the Disney/Marvel deal:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22818

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    So Joe Quesada is making some big speech about the Disney/Marvel merger in exactly 2 hours 45 minutes and 37 seconds according to the clock CBR have counting down to it!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Kiel Phegley: In a more specific sense on the editorial side of things, some have worried aloud whether or not Marvel will be able to produce more mature comics with content that's seen as less than kid-friendly such as the MAX line or cutting edge books like Jonathan Lethem's "Omega The Unknown." Was the future of those types of stories at all discussed during all this?

Joe Quesada: As I mentioned, they have no intention of altering how we go about our business. Bob made it very clear, the reason Disney made this purchase is because they love what we do and have been big fans of it for some time. They want us to continue doing it and with their global reach, we’ll be able to do it even better.

Hmm.

This is interesting:
    Kiel Phegley: And I know that one thing you've cited in the past that's been a big difference between Marvel and DC in terms of the publishing slate is DC's ability to release original graphic novels and prestige format one-shots because their corporate connection to Warner Brothers gives them more leeway in terms of spending cash upfront on long-gestating projects rather than having to serialize all their stories to maximize profits. Now that Marvel is a part of Disney, do you think you'll have the capabilities to publish more long form material in one fell swoop?

Joe Quesada: Hang on a sec. While WB may offer them this leeway, as an editor and creator, I’ve stated publicly on many occasions that I’ve never seen the benefits of original graphic novels. The economics just don’t work and are poor for both the publisher, retailer and the creator, especially during this Marvel regime when so much of what we do gets compiled into a collected edition anyway. While I would never discount doing one, I don’t see the outward benefits nor does the model work.

Just look at it from the eyes of the uninitiated, or the neophyte who walks into a comic shop or bookstore. When they decide on a hardcover, do you think it matters to them or that in some cases they even know that it’s an original graphic novel or a collection of a six-issue story?

Yet from an economic point of view it makes tons of sense to release the material in serialized form first because it then allows you to sell the product in several different formats. Also, from the point of view of a creator having their material reach the widest possible audience, the price of an original graphic novel can be too steep for many. That’s why you don’t see OGN’s selling in the hundreds of thousands of copies. Yet, if the story is strong enough, you can certainly serialize it and have that many eyeballs looking at your work in installments. At the end of the day, you can work for a year on a mini series that gets collected later or spend that entire same year on the OGN. I promise you, more people will read your mini series when it’s all said and done and that year of your life will have been spent in reaching the widest possible audience. And from an exposure and marketing point of view, you work for a year on a graphic novel, it comes out and you get one big promotional push and then it’s done. If it’s serialized, you get a push every month a new issue hits the stands and then another when it becomes a trade and then another for the hardcover.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2009
    He kinda has a point there

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Indeed.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just wish Marvel would release all current ongoings and miniseries in trade format only. The only things that should be in hardcover format are Masterworks and over-sized collections.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. Quesada made a really good set of points on why that's not a good idea.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2009
    No way, that would mess up my Immortal Iron Fist hardback collection

Wildcat on
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I might have misunderstood his points then.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I just wish Marvel would release all current ongoings and miniseries in trade format only. The only things that should be in hardcover format are Masterworks and over-sized collections.

you mean instead of as singles

Or do you mean singles, then skip hardcover and go right to trade

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    I meant skip hardcovers for stories lasting 4 to 6 or 7 issues. I don't mind stories like Utopia and War of Kings going to hardcover first because they collect 12 issues or over.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2009
    Alright that's an OK thing

I mean it doesn't really affect me, I don't tradewait, the rereleases of Transmet are the first trades I've bought in probably a year outside of maybe an Essential or a Showcase

But the idea of bypassing singles straight to trade is just dumb with a capital stupid

Me Too! on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There are some things I want to buy in Hardcover though. I would be very happy to see them eliminate the "premier hardcover" thing, which is just a HC version of the pending TPB. But the HC collections of multiple TPB's should be ramped up, not eliminated.

Like, I would totally buy BND if they would start putting out 12 issue oversized Hardcovers.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you buy BND I'll send a dingo to your house, Virral!

I am capable of this!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, don't reward bad behavior. BND = bad, Agents of Atlas hardcover = delicious.

That interview was nothing new, really. Lowering the prices would be a nice step, or at least stop making minis $4 and stop canceling series then releasing them as minis only to charge more (Iron Fist, Ghost Rider come to mind). And Brevoort's still there.

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But but... I like Spidey!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg