As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... the kilts.

FritoFrito Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in PAX Archive
Is this the new pocket protector? I counted 19 kilts. 11 of them were enforcers. Did i miss the latest trend in nerd couture?

Also, the huge kilted enforcer who played magic with me after his shift was over. You were awesome and I'm sorry I got your Darksteel Colussus.

Frito on

• Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved seeing so many kilts. Utilikilts Represent! If this is a new trend in geek attire it has my overwhelming support. Comfy, flattering on most, and convenient.

Sad I didn't bring my kilt to PAX now.

refrag on
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if i were ignorant i would say that a kilt on a girl is a skirt, but i know better.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a fan of the ultilikilts and am considering getting 1 myself. The only thing I find them lacking is a proper sporan.

Once Utilikilts offer this option, I simply must buy one.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wore mine.. and was thankful I did! that place go warm

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
  • Options
    arnonautarnonaut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After being mesmerised by the plethora of kilts on display at PAX, I went for a look at the Utilikilt store in the Pioneer district here in Seattle. I was only planning on taking some photos and having a good laugh. But the wonderful lady in the store (I'm sorry I didn't catch your name) was so friendly and helpful that I decided I'd try one on.

Having my kilt fitted was awesome, as I was told "Now don't suck in!", followed quickly by "Oh, there's no changing room, I just hook this around you... and now you make 'em go away." (Meaning my pants)

Dropping trou and experiencing the first rush of legless freedom was an almost overwhelming experience. According to the lady the look on my face was priceless. So I bought one on the spot and wore it to the pub that night. Walking my dog on the beach this summer is going to be frickin awesome.

arnonaut on
    Boosh! And/or Kakow!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My first year at PAX I saw one kilt. I laughed.

The number has grown ever since.

This year I saw so many I decided fuck it, I'm buying one for next year.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They are fantastic for hiking.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    molecularitymolecularity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad this thread exists, last year I counted a total of 23 kilts.. and this year I stopped when it got over 45. These were specifically Utilikilts, no off-brands or the one or two 'legitimate' kilts I saw. I'm not sure why counting these things is such a thrill for me.. but alas.

molecularity on
  • Options
    FritoFrito Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad this thread exists, last year I counted a total of 23 kilts.. and this year I stopped when it got over 45. These were specifically Utilikilts, no off-brands or the one or two 'legitimate' kilts I saw. I'm not sure why counting these things is such a thrill for me.. but alas.

I have no idea why I counted them. It just happens sometimes.

But thankfully this year I only counted 1 mullet.

Frito on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, for me personally, I think that I find guys in khaki kilts attractive, given that you've got the legs for them. Honestly though, out of the various shapes and sizes of those displaying the kilts, there wasn't one of them where I would have said pants would have been a more appropriate option. I'm interested in getting one but being the female variety, it seems a bit ridiculous.. but I'm really digging the pleats on the Mocker.

The only argument I've heard against them is that putting your wallet/camera in the pockets meant that it'd be slapping against your legs all day. Is this the case?

molecularity on
  • Options
    Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a cool thing :D I love see all the kilts there! We need more!

Soda241 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    arnonaut wrote: »
    Having my kilt fitted was awesome, as I was told "Now don't suck in!", followed quickly by "Oh, there's no changing room, I just hook this around you... and now you make 'em go away." (Meaning my pants)

Trying on a kilt at the Utilikilt store is an experience on it's own. :) It's not just a kilt. It's also a changeroom.
    The only argument I've heard against them is that putting your wallet/camera in the pockets meant that it'd be slapping against your legs all day. Is this the case?
    I've never noticed this being a problem. I like utilikilts better than skirts because of the pockets. I never need to have a handbag with such generous pockets.

refrag on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've never noticed this being a problem. I like utilikilts better than skirts because of the pockets. I never need to have a handbag with such generous pockets.

That's a great point. In fact, I'm sold. Next time I'm in Seattle I'm going to have to stop by!

molecularity on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you're interested you should definitly check out the 100 customer reasons on why you should wear a Utili Kilt LINKY

2 that stand out as my favorite are the "Heat vents on cold days" and "Air vents on hot days"

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    refrag wrote: »
    I like utilikilts better than skirts because of the pockets. I never need to have a handbag with such generous pockets.

Totally. I've been debating getting one for years because I love skirts but hate the lack of -or teensy size of- skirt pockets.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    VanderVander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I was staring into the street from my hotel I saw a Seattle utility worker doing his job in a Utilikilt.

Is there a large market for those besides the Northwest? I don't see myself buying one anytime soon but I am very intrigued around the culture that surrounds them.

Could someone just wear some Vans and a kilt? Or are there KiltRules?

Vander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Vander wrote: »

They are harder to come by outside of Seattle (at least here in Canada). But I've always received compliments on my kilt wherever I go.

I wear mine with a pair of combat boots to finish the look. But I've also worn heels and "Mary-Jane"-esque flats. I think Vans and a Utilikilt would be adorable. Do it up!

refrag on
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the kilts were pretty awesome although i doubt id be man enough to wear one.

xibalba on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I ride a Triumph, which is a British motorcycle maker so the rider's group has a strange affinity for all kilts. Some of the guys wear utilikilts and I really think Vans look good with them, particularly the black ones. :D

And before you ask, yes, they ride in the kilts.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    HittingSmokeHittingSmoke Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wore mine on Friday and became painfully aware that they're not that great for sitting on the floor for long periods of time so I wore jeans on Sat and Sun.

Combat boots and my "Fear the Walken" crossbones shirt pulled the look together

HittingSmoke on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, since they're made here you'll come across them more often. There's also Alt.Kilt. She [Regina] does a lot of custom work, a shorter women's variety (but without the whole utility part), and kids (so cute!). They're all done by hand so if you prefer the homemade thing that would be a good route too. I think these Ladies Traveling Skirts are do die for.

molecularity on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dragged my skeptical husband to the Utilikilt store while we were there... He was thoroughly impressed, and willing to buy one on the spot, but they were out of his size in the style/color he wanted D: The guy at the store was really nice though, and gave him a card with all the details on it so we can order one online.

I <3 kilts

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I have to mention this... I was several steps below a kilt wearer on the escalator from the 4th to 6th floor. As I looked up I laughed to myself thinking, hey I wonder if these guys in kilts know that people on escalators/stairs can see up your skirt? (I've caught a few unsavory folks peering up my skirt when I'm exiting the bus tunnel dressed up for work.) Just as I thought of this, the kilt wearer bent down to adjust his socks or boots and I got an eyeful.

So guys, careful on the stairs and escalators when your in your kilts... you're giving us all a free show.

Then again, I doubt any unsavory peeping toms are going to mess with any of you guys.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I almost brought my Utilikilt to PAX but didnt due to the fact i thought i would need space for swag. Although for sure i will wear mine next year. and if its not the newest trend in geek culture we should make it the newest trend

Eugal on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Eugal wrote: »
    I almost brought my Utilikilt to PAX but didnt due to the fact i thought i would need space for swag. Although for sure i will wear mine next year. and if its not the newest trend in geek culture we should make it the newest trend

+1 to anything that allows a man to be in the comfort zone he was intended. Pants are for womenz :P

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pants ain't for nobody!

molecularity on
  • Options
    CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I didn't know better, I'd say dudes are getting ripped off. All that money and you don't even get a pair of pants! Just, like, one single pant!

But I do know better. Those things were looking super-extra comfy around the hotter/muggier parts of the day. Even wearing a junk basket, the airflow must be great.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • Options
    NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have Scottish heritage, I really should look into this. Plus, if any non-geek asks, I have that as a great reason why. My Grandpa has been active in the Scottish groups/activities most of his life, I've always wanted to follow his lead and get a kilt in my tartan (he's worn one since before any of us were born though only for special occasions, so to me that makes him extra cool +1).

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What are you supposed to wear under a utilikilt? For both men and women? And what kind of shoes and socks ought to be worn?

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Eyes5 wrote: »
    What are you supposed to wear under a utilikilt? For both men and women? And what kind of shoes and socks ought to be worn?

Men = Anything you normally wear... or nothing.
    Women = Anything you normally wear... or nothing.
    Feet = Anything you normally wear... or nothing.
    :mrgreen:

In all seriousness. Scottish men historically actually were covered underneath, although barely. Typically their shirts were tucked in their waist and would hang down to provide an extra layer of warmth ;)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Utilikilts are urban modern kilts you do not need fancy boots or socks. If you truly want Kilt experience you should wear nothing under them, they are heavy enough that they dont really fly up. Although IMO you should start off with under ware because some times its hard to make the switch from pants to kilts right away. Get a fell for them with under ware on so you know your limitations of movement which really aren't many.

Eugal on
  • Options
    ZhainiusZhainius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My company has utilikilts with our logo's on it.

So whenever I do a booth at a convention, or go to any of our official gatherings I always bring it with me.

Given how hot the exhibit hall was during setup day, It seemed the best thing to wear the next days.

Zhainius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know, I figure that if you actually have the moxie to wear a kilt, you don't need advice on what else to wear with it.

This year, I wore Dr Martens boots to protect my toesies in crowded areas. However, next year I'll probably switch to my New Balance shoes, since I found my feet much more likely to get sore than stepped on.

Seems like neither one would look more or less silly with a kilt.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know, I figure that if you actually have the moxie to wear a kilt, you don't need advice on what else to wear with it.

It's not about the moxie. Here's a secret...
    Chicks dig you when you wear kilts.

There. That should make it easier for you to wear one. :winky:

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    ZhainiusZhainius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I have to mention this... I was several steps below a kilt wearer on the escalator from the 4th to 6th floor. As I looked up I laughed to myself thinking, hey I wonder if these guys in kilts know that people on escalators/stairs can see up your skirt? (I've caught a few unsavory folks peering up my skirt when I'm exiting the bus tunnel dressed up for work.) Just as I thought of this, the kilt wearer bent down to adjust his socks or boots and I got an eyeful.

So guys, careful on the stairs and escalators when your in your kilts... you're giving us all a free show.

Then again, I doubt any unsavory peeping toms are going to mess with any of you guys.

I don't know about ones you just buy, but all ours were custom made for us, and as such the right size.
    On escalators you won't be able to see up them, as they're just long enough for the angle not to work.

They also come in beer belly cut, so if you bend over it doesn't go up too high ;)

Zhainius on
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I was on the fence before, but this sells it.

Im gonna get me a Utilikilt for next year.

And Im gonna rock it proper

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Some of just DONT CARE.

I stop at flash photography.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    DewinDewin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eyes5 wrote: »
    What are you supposed to wear under a utilikilt?

Socks and shoes, of course. :lol:

Dewin on
  • Options
    solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I was staring into the street from my hotel I saw a Seattle utility worker doing his job in a Utilikilt.

Is there a large market for those besides the Northwest? I don't see myself buying one anytime soon but I am very intrigued around the culture that surrounds them.

Those kilts are a Seattle thing? My first trip to both Seattle and PAX are the kilts another Starbucks type innovation from Seattle?

solomani on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It's not about the moxie. Here's a secret...
    Chicks dig you when you wear kilts.

There. That should make it easier for you to wear one. :winky:

Heh, I'd wear one for free. But since the cheapest one comes at around 5x what I tend to pay for a pair of shorts that are a little too big, I'll leave the other gents to it. I'm okay with missing out on making this particular fashion statement.

(In b4 "no, dude, seriously dude, it's totally different from shorts")

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
This discussion has been closed.