As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Workin' for the Weekend: The Profession Thread

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The engineering wormhole generator has already paid for itself in awesomeness.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has anyone figured out where the hell the new LW patterns drop?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm gonna take a wild stab and say the Crusader's Coliseum.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How bad of an idea would it be to try and powerlevel alchemy and inscription on my druid using my DK as his herber? Like, whats the worst bit of inscription levelling because alchemy is cake.

815165 on
  • superprokopsuperprokop Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I haven't had a chance to go out and farm titanium yet to make mine on my rogue. But, just how awesome is it?

In other news, I did just happened to have mats for Jeeves on my rogue. Except the 2 gems, but my warlock can xmute them. Anyway, Jeeves makes me feel like I am a rich person who has a butler. Not just any butler, but a damn robot butler.

Wow-heroes.com says that nitro boosts is a bad enchant. I guess all that crit is terrible on a rogue.

superprokop on
    Too big sig. Rules are for reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI0C]
    Neyla wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    It's sort of like gay sex in prison. You shut your mouth and just grit your teeth and hope you don't come out with a torn rectum.

Limed for great truth.

I lol'd hard because it is so true...

I bet you didn't even give him the courtesy of a reach around!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I haven't had a chance to go out and farm titanium yet to make mine on my rogue. But, just how awesome is it?

The tooltip doesn't quite make it clear, but it summons a portal which gives you the option of portaling to any Northrend zone of your choice. The random factor presumably comes in the fact that you won't know WHERE in the zone you'll pop, but the few times I've used it I've always come up in the same place (mountains overlooking the tourny grounds in Icecrown, 500 feet up over the lake in Borean, and Utgarde keep in Fjord, those are the ones I've seen).

The awesomness comes into play when you're doing heroics with your friends and have to go across the world. Like for instance, we just finished up CoT and planned on doing Utgarde next, and the portal put me literally on top of the place. Still had to wait for everybody else though... :)

It would have been that much more awesome while leveling, but a free port to any zone of your choice is definately worth the price.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How tough / expensive is it to raise Tailoring? I've got Enchanting / Mining on my Warlock now, and Mining is nice but its really not much more than a money making trade for me. I've saved up 20k in gold so far and I don't really have any alts I spend on (I havea DK I play rarely) so I was flirting with the idea of picking up another profession that would help out my DPS a bit. Blacksmithing / Engineering would be great for those extra sockets and toys, but I imagine would be very expensive to level using just the AH. Thoughts?

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How tough / expensive is it to raise Tailoring? I've got Enchanting / Mining on my Warlock now, and Mining is nice but its really not much more than a money making trade for me. I've saved up 20k in gold so far and I don't really have any alts I spend on (I havea DK I play rarely) so I was flirting with the idea of picking up another profession that would help out my DPS a bit. Blacksmithing / Engineering would be great for those extra sockets and toys, but I imagine would be very expensive to level using just the AH. Thoughts?

Enchanting will help with the later levels of tailoring because of all the fucking dust you'll need. It gets pretty bad when you near 450, like any other prof. I'd say tailoring is the least expensive of the other crafting ones. When the xpac first came out, I was one of the few to get the deathchill cloak first, so I just kept making em and selling them to offset the cost of leveling it. Obviously, that cloak is not really in demand right now, but the specialty cloths are, because of the new patterns. They've made em easier to make and closer too. Fucking having to go all the way to the nexus just to make one sucked nuts. Now you make em all in one zone.

Also, Lightweave is really nice to have, and the pant threads are practically free.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Along with what Wolfman said, if the option comes up, select "The Underground...". :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Cool but a tad annoying: the new Flask will alternate itself on hybrid classes. While flexibility is nice, I wish the buff itself was colored based on stat boost. It's a minor thing, but I wouldn't have to hover over the tooltip each time its used.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    got my first x-mute proc since the patch. hello Cardinal Ruby x 3 :D

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Seconded. I love the worm hole generator. I've only used it to port to Stormpeaks twice, both times it put me up on a ledge near Ulduar. Haven't had the need to use it to port anywhere else yet. From what I've read though, if you don't have a flying mount or a parachute, you may find yourself in a tight spot.

What's this "The Underground" option?

wusoldjr on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It sends you to a vendor in Dalaran where you can buy engineering dragonling pet recipes.

Opty on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blizzcon wrote:
    * Multi-gains will be added, while you level up your trade skills, rare items will give you more points as you skill up. (Rare items will give you 5 points for example, while green bracers will only give one)
    * Gathering should be a little more fun.
    * Engineering is a very fun tradeskill, but it's either amazing or it sucks and everybody drops it. More convenient items like Jeeves or Wormhole Generator will be added to the profession in the future to get back to the roots of Engineering.
    * Fishing will also have some big changes, no details yet but it's going to be more fun.

Fun!

SabreMau on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm glad they'll be expanding on engineering as it is. Personally I think it's in a great place right now, compared to the last couple of years.

God, discombobulators when Warsong was new... christ those things were amazing/horrifying.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay, more fun toys for engineering. That's why I got it in the first place.

Okay, the DPS tinkers don't hurt, they're very nice, but toys, yay.

reVerse on
  • superprokopsuperprokop Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Logged onto my rogue today (engineer) and looked at how many engineer items he has on his bars. Gloves, boots, cloak, belt, Jeeves, saronite bombs, explosive critters (fun to kill lowbies), my mote extractor and of course my worm hole generator. Took my teleporters off my bars because I haven't used them in a long time. Just funny to see the difference in my professions and how much one can be clicked to use.

superprokop on
    Too big sig. Rules are for reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI0C]
    Neyla wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    It's sort of like gay sex in prison. You shut your mouth and just grit your teeth and hope you don't come out with a torn rectum.

Limed for great truth.

I lol'd hard because it is so true...

I bet you didn't even give him the courtesy of a reach around!
    edited August 2009
    They're planning to beef up all the trade skill racials to +15 and maybe some added bonus like the Goblin's more health/mana from your own pots or the Worgen's faster skinning, no knife needed.

reVerse on
    edited August 2009
    I can see it now, Tauren druid birds picking herbs will be the bane of all.

Opty on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow Note to self: Stop selling belt buckles on any old day and stockpile them for raiding days. The price is triple what it was this afternoon and I just sold 3 instantly.

Arrath on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate flask of the north so much. On my cat/tree druid it alternates between strength and spellpower, no AP. Real useful!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate flask of the north so much. On my cat/tree druid it alternates between strength and spellpower, no AP. Real useful!
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Cool but a tad annoying: the new Flask will alternate itself on hybrid classes. While flexibility is nice, I wish the buff itself was colored based on stat boost. It's a minor thing, but I wouldn't have to hover over the tooltip each time its used.

This bugs me on my shaman too. It should just detect your spec and give you the right one! We don't need the extra flexibility, we have dual spec for that. :/

It would be nice if the buff didn't have a duration either, it's supposed to be akin to the passive effects from other professions yet it needs to be refreshed every hour...

Moioink on
    edited September 2009
    Well I think it is detecting my invested skill trees, it's just assuming that feral = bear tanking.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited September 2009
    When you choose Armoursmith / Weaponsmith nowadays is there still a quest or something to do? Just hit 200 on my DK and was wondering whats up in that regard.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I think it is detecting my invested skill trees, it's just assuming that feral = bear tanking.
    It alternates between 40 str and 80 Spell Power. For ferals, 40str = 80 AP + heart of the wild and whatever other bonuses.

edit: So it isn't detecting anything. It just goes back and forth.

shadowane on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When you choose Armoursmith / Weaponsmith nowadays is there still a quest or something to do? Just hit 200 on my DK and was wondering whats up in that regard.
    There is, but they're not worth it in the least (in terms of material cost to reward).

Halfmex on
    edited September 2009
    shadowane wrote: »
    It alternates between 40 str and 80 Spell Power. For ferals, 40str = 80 AP + heart of the wild and whatever other bonuses.

I believe there was some point when cat didn't get 2 AP per strength so AP was better than strength which is where the confusion comes in. I'm pretty sure you're right and that 1 str = 2 AP for all feral forms now, which is why the flask only alternates between those two.

I agree with the others though, that it should have a different icon or different buff name for each type so I can glance to see which buff I have rather than having to hover.

Opty on
    edited September 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    There is, but they're not worth it in the least (in terms of material cost to reward).

Oh ok, good to know. Thanks

Elessar Elfstone on

edited September 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »

I believe there was some point when cat didn't get 2 AP per strength so AP was better than strength which is where the confusion comes in. I'm pretty sure you're right and that 1 str = 2 AP for all feral forms now, which is why the flask only alternates between those two.

I agree with the others though, that it should have a different icon or different buff name for each type so I can glance to see which buff I have rather than having to hover.

I didn't even remember that about strength (since I don't spec for it intentionally as a cat). The flask is supposed to be 40 str/80 AP/47 SP, but 40 str is the same as 80 AP, so I guess it doesn't matter...still it's kind of ridiculous to list it as a 3 function flask and only let you see 2.

UncleSporky on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

After making 8 army knives without a skill up I finally broke down and used the 8 titanium and made this to get to 450.... and all I can say is why did I bother with the knives.. this thing is super awesome.

I'm going to start tonight by hitting the wormhole and attempting to level in the zone it lands me in. Pally is 73 now, so it could be interesting.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You would want it as 40 STR as a feral anyway, because it scales with MotW and Kings, whereas the AP would not.

Joshmvii on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait, I'm quite confused. I'm certain that 1 str = 2.2 AP

So 40 STR = 88 AP

Daxon on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1 STR = 2 AP but strength is affected by Blessing of Kings, where AP is not. So it is worth 88 AP if you have Kings.

captaink on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No.. king's is only a 10% attribute buff giving 2.1 AP per strength instead. I was pretty sure there was a feral talent affecting strength making it yield more AP.

Daxon on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Base, without talents or buffs, 1 strength gives 2 AP to warriors, DKs, druids in feral forms, and paladins, and 1 AP to all others. So if you're in the former category and have 10 strength, you'd get 20 AP from that. But if you get BoK, you'd go up to 11 strength and 22 AP. That's still 2 AP per buffed strength, but if you're counting from the original base + gear value, that's 2.2 AP per unbuffed strength.

SabreMau on
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its really sad that I understand all of what you said...

Fatgoat87 on
    edited September 2009
    Daxon wrote: »
    No.. king's is only a 10% attribute buff giving 2.1 AP per strength instead. I was pretty sure there was a feral talent affecting strength making it yield more AP.

There is a talent in the Feral tree increasing all stats by 6% and a talent in the first tier of the Resto tree increasing all stats by 2%. Since all sane Ferals will take both of these talents, that's a 8% mini-Kings Ferals get from talents.

And your math for Kings is wrong. Yes, it gives 10% to all attributes, making 1 str into 1.1 str, and since 1 str gives 2 AP, 1.1 str gives 2.2.

reVerse on
    edited September 2009
    Your math and his math are identical, only his has been multiplied by 10.

Opty on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    Your math and his math are identical, only his has been multiplied by 10.
    No, their math is different in that one said 2.1 and the other said 2.2

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Oh, dur, for some reason I ended up reading Sabre's post instead of Daxon's.

Opty on