As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST hotel?

RicinRicin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
I was wondering where I should stay for PAX East. I have a reservation set up for the sheraton right now and was wondering if I should change where I am at or hold where I am at.

I look for closeness to the event entrance as my top priority, Quality/Amenities of the location second.

Ricin

Ricin on

• Options
    SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If it's the one I'm thinking of then the Sheraton is probably your best choice. I'm almost positive it's attached to the convention center, or at the very least a block away.

I'm not sure about amenities as I've never stayed there but I have walked through it several times and it at least looks like a very nice hotel :)

SirCuddlez on
  • Options
    WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I work close enough to the Hynes Convention Center that if anyone needs specific beta, just let me know.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Sheraton does look damn close. I was at the Sheraton last year for pax prime and it was AMAZING. Just because of how close it was. This year I stayed at a buddies condo about a 15 min walk away... I didn't bring an umbrella and got soaked on Sunday :[

Oh yeah I booked a room at the Sheraton for pax east.

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Sheraton at PAX East is the closest you will get short of living in the Hynes itself for three days. One practically feeds into the other via the Prudential Center The Marriott is also connected to the Hynes by way of the Pru. And the Westin is connected to the Hynes by way of the Copley Place mall by way of the Marriot by way of the Pru. Stay in any of those three hotels and you will never have to go outside for three days.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ScubaKevScubaKev Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ScubaKev on
  • Options
    StikeyStikey Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    The Sheraton is attached (via the Prudential Center) to the Hynes Convention Center. However, the hotel is relatively old and not particularly nice (for a Starwood property).

The Westin (which is also connected via sky bridges and a couple of small malls to Hynes) is much, much nicer. I would certainly take the extra 10 minutes of walking each day to stay there rather than at the Sheraton.

I've never stayed at the Marriott there, though I would imagine it's newer than the Sheraton but likely not quite as nice as the Westin.

I think there's also a Radisson within reasonable walking distance.

Stikey on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the map below should illustrate the closest options rather nicely:
    Hynes-Area-Map.png

rufo on
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thank you for posting that. Until I saw that map it didn't really sink in how far away the hotel I had planned to book actually was; so now, I've changed my reservation to the Sheraton. It's a lot more expensive, but may be worth it, especially if I can find someone to share the room.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does anybody know if the malls in between Hynes and say, the Westin Copley will close before PAX is over at night, requiring an outside trek? I'd assume they would...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the malls in between Hynes and say, the Westin Copley will close before PAX is over at night, requiring an outside trek? I'd assume they would...

They might close the outside doors around 1? I vaguely remember not being able to get back in after that time. But if you're inside the mall/hynes, you're golden. Besides, Hynes closes at 1 or 2. So the overlap may be negligible.

And even if they lock the skybridge between the Pru and the Marriott/Westin (which I'm pretty sure they don't) your hotel is a block away.

These aren't great distances we're talking about and you will not die in that block of being outdoors.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something to add to that map, right across the street from the Sheraton is a Hilton. So that's another option available.

[edit]

Just realized it does mention the hilton on the map but it's not as noticeable as the others.

SirCuddlez on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there any place to park nearby at less than $40/day?

Alternately, I'm willing to entertain parking somewhere outside the city and taking public transportation in - PAX Prime has shown I won't actually wander far from the hotel and convention center during PAX, so I likely won't need the car anyway.

rufo on
  • Options
    WaduWadu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There are several possibilities for parking outside the city and taking public transportation in. Just be aware that public transportation shuts down around midnight in Boston. This won't be a problem if your traveling in to a hotel and out after PAX is finished but might be a problem if you thought you could ride the T somewhere after a concert.

http://www.mbta.com/ is where public lots are at.

I would highly recommend Alewife which is right off a major highway Rt 2 from Rt 128 (aka I-95). Alewife has a large parking garage where you can leave your car overnight for multiple days at $7.00/day. $8.00/overnight. It is at the end of the Red line and an easy commute into the city.

Another good option is Riverside which is at the end of the green line. This has a lot of open parking spots (no garage) where you can park for multiple days at $5.75/day.

I don't know about cheap garages in the city, but as a local if I'm going into Boston for the day I park at alewife and take the T.

Wadu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sweet, good advice. I'm thinking I'm going to book one of the hotels connected to the Hynes, park outside the city and just take the T in for the whole thing, so the system shutting down at midnight isn't a problem.

rufo on
This discussion has been closed.