As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[miniphalla] Phallanx: A Newbie Phalla - Game Over. Mafia win.

• Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Time paradox.

[tiny]Sorry JC I'll leave![/tiny]

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I continue to be disappointed as to how this thread has not devolved into constant 300 quotations/references.

Curses, Wildcat saw right through me! While I am impressed that it hasn't occured...part of me secretly yearns for it...deep down inside :O

Also, I am summoning a piece of advice that I saw while perusing the previous newbie phalla thread.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Set your personal forum options to Invisible. Trust us.

The logic behind this (discussed in later posts there) is that us being able to see your activity will either not effect our opinions of you or make you seem more suspicious. The main relevant part about this is that not operating in invisible mode apparently allows others to view your PM activity, which can be very bad depending on your role (especially as a seer or other village special). A mentor can correct me if this has changed since the times of the old newbie phalla, though I'd assume it hasn't. I've seen quite a few yellow currently online lights, indicating that a few of you don't have invisible mode on.

So, assuming that the only reason you'd be PMing people is for Phalla, and that if you're PMing that means you don't have a Proboard - so being seen PMing people automagically means you're with the village! Anybody trying to hide their lack of PMing people makes them Mafia! People who use forum invisibility are Mafia!

...I think this line of reasoning is silly. But I'm sure the Mafia has used more silly reasons to vig someone than camping their user page to see what they're doing. Hmm

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I continue to be disappointed as to how this thread has not devolved into constant 300 quotations/references.

Curses, Wildcat saw right through me! While I am impressed that it hasn't occured...part of me secretly yearns for it...deep down inside :O

Also, I am summoning a piece of advice that I saw while perusing the previous newbie phalla thread.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Set your personal forum options to Invisible. Trust us.

The logic behind this (discussed in later posts there) is that us being able to see your activity will either not effect our opinions of you or make you seem more suspicious. The main relevant part about this is that not operating in invisible mode apparently allows others to view your PM activity, which can be very bad depending on your role (especially as a seer or other village special). A mentor can correct me if this has changed since the times of the old newbie phalla, though I'd assume it hasn't. I've seen quite a few yellow currently online lights, indicating that a few of you don't have invisible mode on.

So, assuming that the only reason you'd be PMing people is for Phalla, and that if you're PMing that means you don't have a Proboard - so being seen PMing people automagically means you're with the village! Anybody trying to hide their lack of PMing people makes them Mafia! People who use forum invisibility are Mafia!

...I think this line of reasoning is silly. But I'm sure the Mafia has used more silly reasons to vig someone than camping their user page to see what they're doing. Hmm

Read this. RIGHT NOW.

And also read the post in question. Ever since that game invisible mode is seen as a must.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I don't think I really understand this ProBoard thing. I mean, I know what it is, but what is it used for?

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If needed I can mentor i am gmt+1

M.D. on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Especially page 108. Basically, the mafia in this game pretty much won due to monitoring player activity to kill the good specials. Also discussed in the previous newbie phalla thread.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I don't think I really understand this ProBoard thing. I mean, I know what it is, but what is it used for?

Generally speaking its for people of equal alignment to talk without the hassle of pming each other. If you are an admin it's a good idea to limit registration (so it has to be authorized) and also so guests can't view the board - in the very off chance of a leak.

Egos on
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have now blown my estimated role PM send-out by several hours. However, when the judge calls you don't exactly say "No."

Role PMs going out now.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah. forgot to mention that I'm on Central time.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, it's Day 1, what are you going to do? If you are a normal villager, then just relax, get to know everyone else, and try to have a good time. Anything said during Day 1 is often useless until the night's narration when you can analyze responses with the results.

Specials and Evils, it's a good idea to try not to stand out too much, but don't be seen as trying to hide either. Striking a nice balance between contributing and observing is a good way to gain information for possible targets.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All Role PMs have been sent.

If you have not received one let me know.

Your Role PM was also sent to your mentor.

If you are, for whatever reason, having a difficult time getting in touch with your mentor, please let me know. It did not work out as well for some as for others. For that I apologize, but them's the breaks.

Opening narration to follow imminently.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For those that may think invisible mode is overreacting: You are being horribly naive.

If you think it hasn't been abused before, you are wrong. If you think people don't track this kind of stuff, I would love to introduce you to my stalker script that lets me log all of your activity which I have used to win games.

If you don't go invisible, your status is fair game.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sadly, GIS doesn't turn up anything for Phalla is Serious Business

Oh well, I am invisible now for the duration of the current emergency.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    August 479 BC

Plataea, Greece

campe.jpg

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. Uneasier still lies the head who wears a crown only in proxy, preserving it and his country for a boy too young to govern. If it were any other boy, or any other crown, Pausanias may not have felt as though his head was being crushed beneath the weight of his people's expectations. However, he had no choice, for the crown was that of the King of Sparta, until recently worn by none other than Leonidas I, commander of the legendary 300, and hero of the Battle of Thermopylae. And the boy...the boy was Pleistarchus, son of Leonidas, and while he was still too young to inherit the burden of leadership fell upon the shoulders of the reknowned Spartan general, Pausanias, cousin to Pleistarchus and nephew to Leonidas.

As Pausanias sat, alone in his tent, he pondered the series of events that had led him to this place. For a Spartan, life was war. But even Pausanias would admit that he had a difficult time accepting that it had only been just over a year since Xerxes crossed the Hellespont and marched through Thrace and Macedon and into Thessaly. Pausanias spat on the ground. The Thracians and Macedonians had prostrated themselves before Xerxes and his Imperial Persian Army of two million without a fight. Xerxes had assimilated the Thracian and Macedonian armies into his own, and had marched to the pass of Thermopylae where Leonidas and his 300 Spartans, and the others, held the pass for six days before they were betrayed by Ephialtes.

Pausanias spat again; it was now customary to do so whenever the Betrayer's name was mentioned. It had become such habit that Pausanias thought nothing of his action despite only having thought the Betrayer's name.

For three days Leonidas and his men prepared for battle. On the fourth, it came. On the sixth, word reached them that the Persians had been led to a goat path that served as the only means of circumventing the pass. Leonidas sent the rest of the Greeks back to warn of the treachery and to prepare for Xerxes's invasion.

The ephors continue to preach that their sacrifice was necessary; that it bought the time needed to evacuate Athens and prepare for the consolidated Greek defense against Xerxes and his invasion. Those stooped old men overlook the fact that it has been a year since Thermopylae. A year since Greece wasted 300 of its greatest warriors. For what?! For 7 days?! 7 days in a year...the truth is that in the course of this war, Leonidas's valiant attempt at defiance did nothing but weaken Sparta, and in turn, Greece. Pausanias only hoped that their loss would not be too severely felt at this battle.

Just then, Aristides, strategos of the Athenian forces at Plataea, announced himself and entered Pausanias's tent. Trailing behind Aristides was a mountainous bulk of a man. Clad in a barbaric mixture of Greek and Persian garb, Pausanias recognized the straggler as none other than King Alexander I of Macedon, traitor to Greece and ally of Xerxes. Pausanias leapt to his feet and grabbed a spear with bloodlust in his heart. Aristides moved to intercept Pausanias, but the Spartan was too quick and was able to side-step the Athenian as he thrust his spear at the Macedonian.

Alexander spun away, the pause created by Aristides's intrusion was enough to prevent him from being impaled, but not enough to keep Pausanias from sweeping Alexander's legs out from under him as he drew the spear back to himself. The commotion had roused the Greek commanders in their nearby tents and they rushed into Pausanias's tent to see their general holding the point of his spear to the Macedonian King's throat, while Aristides begged the enraged man to listen and insisted that Alexander had come to help. To his credit, Alexander did not flinch as Pausanias's spear broke the man's skin. Pausanias resisted the temptation to kill the traitor, but he did not remove the spear from Alexander's throat as he commanded:

"Speak."

King Alexander I of Macedon flicked his eyes nervously about the tent, attempting to assign nationalities to the men assembled.

"I see gathered before me Spartans, Athenians, Corinthians, Megarans...men of Greece...finally united against a common enemy. Believe as you will, but know that I am not your enemy. Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Greece I should not have come to tell you-"

"Tell us what?"

"That Mardonius has, at Xerxes' command, inserted four spies amidst your soldiers. They have instructions to learn your strategies, to poison your stores, to murder your men, and finally to set fire to your camp before returning to the Persian army."

"A Persian is easily distinguished from a Greek."

"Which is why Mardonius has sent Greek traitors."

The gathered soldiers began to murmur. If this was true, then it was possible that Xerxes had already won. Betrayed first by Ephialtes; now by four others; had the Gods finally forsaken Greece...

Pausanias spat on the ground next to where Alexander lay, the spear point still pressed into his neck. There were nearly 110,000 men in the Allied army, to find four men in such a force was a task that made even Thermopylae seem possible.

"How do I know you were not sent simply to sow dissention in our ranks?"

"I am myself Greek by descent, and I would not willingly see Greece exchange freedom for slavery. Do not lose hope, I can assure you that these men were inserted no more than two days ago. If you examine your log books, surely you will be able to determine who has only recently arrived, and from there you-"

"Enough. Aristides?"

"It is true, Pausanias. I have already looked. In the last two days, only 20 men have arrived in camp."

"Do you have their names?"

"Of course."

"Kill them all."

"B-but, General..."

"What."

"I have reports declaring that these men are exceptional soldiers one and all. They have already been accepted by the other men. To kill them all would demoralize their entire phalanx."

"I do not hear a solution."

"Extract them from their phalanx. Isolate them from the rest of the army. Place them under guard. Tell them of the situation, and allow them to produce the spies. It will free us of having to devote our time to this matter, and permit us to continue with our preparations unimpeded. And it should solidify the resolve of those men involved. To be so blatantly betrayed by men you considered your friends and allies...it can only increase their hatred of the Persians and steel their nerves against the coming fight."

"And who do you suggest should watch the men?"

"Demosthenes, General."

"Why am I not surprised. Demosthenes!"

A shadow fell across the entrance to the tent as a giant of a man opened the flap wide enough to peer inside. Demosthenes was nearly 7 feet tall, and weighed close to 28 stone. He was, without a doubt, the most intimidating Spartan that Pausanias had ever known.

"Yes, General?"

"I assume you have heard the news brought by our esteemed neighbor?"

"Yes, General."

"Aristedes, give the list of names to Demosthenes. Demosthenes, find the men on that list and gather supplies enough for 5 days. Take a company of archers and travel South to our previous camp. If anyone asks, inform them that the men have been chosen for a mission of vital importance to the army. Once at the camp, you are to disarm the men and inform them of their task. If any disobey, kill them. If any attempt to escape, kill them. If they do not participate, kill them. Those men are to uncover the spies...or they are to never emerge again. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, General."

With that, Demosthenes left, list in hand, and went in search of the 20 men.

Pausanias turned his attention back to Alexander, and removing his spear from the king's throat, motioned for him to stand. The Macedonian hauled himself to his feet and glared at Pausanias, hatred burning cold in his eyes as blood slowly ran down his neck.

"If you prosper in this war, forget not to do something for my freedom; consider the risk I have run, out of zeal for the Greek cause, to acquaint you with what Mardonius intends, and to save you from being surprised by the barbarians. I wish your men luck, but I wish you death and dishonor."

Pausanias fixed Alexander with a dead emotionless stare.

"Return to your Persian master, and be thankful I let you live."

Alexander faced Pausanias for a moment longer, as if he wanted to say something more. Instead, the large Macedonian spun on his heels and walked from the tent and into the uncomfortably hot night.

==============

Demosthenes gathered the men on the list and led them to their prior encampment. Predictably there were questions, but once informed that they had been chosen for an important mission, the men quietly went about their duty and marched in relative silence. Once they reached the camp, Demosthenes ordered the men to stow their weapons and fortify their surroundings. The men followed orders and began their work. As the day wore on, Demosthenes quietly instructed the archers to surround the campsite, and gave each of them orders to shoot any man attempting to leave.

One of the men paused in his labor and noticed several archers standing on the ridge as if keeping watch. What disturbed the man was that the archers did not appear to be watching for signs of danger beyond the encampment, rather they were fixated upon the men working in the camp. This man approached Demosthenes and voiced his concern. Demosthenes told the man to notify the other men that he wished to address them.

Once the men had gathered around Demosthenes, he informed them of their true purpose in the camp.

"Four of you are traitors; spies sent by Mardonius to poison, murder, and sabotage our army, MY army. I do not know which four. In truth, I do not care. However, I do not have the time necessary to interrogate each and every one of you. Therefore, it has been decided that you men must determine who amongst you is a traitor. Each day you are to present to me that man whom the majority of you believe to be one of the four traitors. I will interrogate the chosen man and decide if he is guilty or innocent."

"What happens if the man is guilty?"

"Exactly what you expect would happen."

"And if he's innocent?"

"He will receive an honorable burial. Truthfully it would be much easier to kill you all and return to Plataea. However, Aristides has convinced Pausanias that the innocent survivors will emerge from this ordeal stronger and better men. Know this, there are archers posted around the entire camp with orders to kill you if you do not do as you are told. If you refuse to participate, you will be killed. If any of you attempt to leave without my permission, you will be killed. If you question my orders, you will be killed. Do not seek to test me. Is that understood?"

With that, Demosthenes was finished. Unhappy exclamations and protestations of innocence erupted from the men, but Demosthenes did not care. He turned his back on the men and walked back to the tree where he had chosen to setup his tent. At this moment, Demosthenes's only hope was that the men would do as ordered, so that he, in turn, could do as he had been ordered.

==============

Day 1 Starts Now.

It will end tomorrow, September 11 at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time (approximately 26 1/2 hours from now).

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Are mentors being kept anonymous?

I had not given it much thought. I am not going to advertise the pairs, but will not forbid sharing the information.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm JC's mentor.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    I'm Batman.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm Spartacus.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I'm Spartacus.
    Bandwagon wrote: »
    Baron Munchausen - Infidel

You are the Caravan's Pathological Liar. You are a simple man, with no particular talent - you have abilities.

But you could do all sorts of amazing deeds, if only the cards you had been dealt were slightly different. If only... if only you were someone else, someone like Spartacus, then you could do anything!

You may, at any point, claim to be Spartacus and any combination of the following roles, or any others you can think of: seer, guardian, inventor, and miller. If you do, you gain those abilities from that point forth.
    • If you claim seer, you may investigate one person, other than yourself, each month, and you will receive either an innocent or a guilty result.
    • If you claim guardian, you may protect one person each monthother than yourself, and this will prevent that player from being killed from anything other than the vote.
    • If you claim inventor, you may invent one device each month and give it to a player of your choosing other than yourself. You can stipulate what the device is and what it does. However if I deem the device to be too powerful I will modify it so as to be a reasonable power level.
    • If you claim miller, you appear to be a bandit.

You will only gain the abilities you claim in the post where you first claim Spartacus. If you claim multiple abilities, you may use each of them every month. If you claim further abilities in a later post, this does nothing.

HOWEVER - if you suggest or confirm that the process of claiming Spartacus grants abilities, regardless of whether you have claimed Spartacus or not, you will be killed at the end of that month. If you later claim anything other than Spartacus, or suggest or confirm that you are not actually Spartacus, then you will be killed at the end of the month. If you are not sure what you can or cannot say, then ask me via PM.

If you can't think of anything, there is always this classic.

If the other Vampire factions are defeated, and the caravan reaches Oregon, you win.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Since that was so awesome, I will allow it.

However, hush you two. Newbies only during game days.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I have been gone at my son's back to school night. It appears I ahven't missed anything exciting as of yet.

Time to go find mister RNG I believe.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That narration...

was incredible.

So far I am keeping my candy vote on the host. Even if it's not possible I'll waste my vote on him!

All you actually eligible veteran players have some work to do to truly earn the candy :)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well since day one is pretty much a crap shoot.

No offense but RNG says !Rawkking Goodguy

Dogbone33 on

• Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dogbone33, because your avatar makes me think of crackers and now I want to go eat a box and uhhhh I won't be able to live with that the entire game.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Crackers? CRACKERS?

That is the Chief darn it all.

Or did you RNG that action and wanted a better rationale for it? lol

Dogbone33 on

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh, it looks like we're making a vote train.

!SimpsonsParadox then

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Day 1 RNG is a go!

Sorry !Ringo

Hippie on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Crackers? CRACKERS?

That is the Chief darn it all.

Or did you RNG that action and wanted a better rationale for it? lol

The chief is round and has frills around the end.

Thus, a Ritz Cracker.

Om nom nom. (Yes, it was an RNG vote.)

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    and the train is broken

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hippie wrote: »
    Day 1 RNG is a go!

Sorry !Ringo

Is that punishment for the Beatles finally selling out?

Dogbone33 on

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !pablo_price has the most games, and by my logic eliminating the most experienced player will be to my benefit.

No hard feelings though.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Roomate, er, RNG, says !Gonmun

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RNG says !Robos A Go Go

boogedyboo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If anything is unclear, or you are unsure if you are allowed to do something, do not hesitate to ask for clarification. The worst that could happen is you get a "Clarification Denied."

Also, broad game mechanics clarification questions are generally okay for posting in-thread, but I find individual questions are best asked via PM. Unless the host is a douche, they will usually make sure the question is made anonymous before posting it for anyone else to view.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !mEEksa for eliminating the most experienced player.

Also, school may be getting in the way starting next Monday. I'll get on whenever I can.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Day 1 RNG is a go!

Sorry !Ringo

Beatles Rockband is fucking awesome

!dogbone33

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Day 1 RNG is a go!

Sorry !Ringo

Yes, yes it is.

Hippie on
  • Options
    SukiSuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dogbone33 for dinging the Beatles and having a chiefly cracker.

Suki on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also:

hey mentor

I would like to know you

<3

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, RNG is saying...19. So !SimpsonsPardox.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook