As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney to buy Marvel for 4 Billion

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well then definitely don't buy BND.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ba-zing!

Wildcat on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    But but... I like Spidey!

Buy a trade copy of Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, and take the money you'll save from buying BND to your local library and have them put a hardcover on it.

Hensler on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You see, I know there are people here who have been enjoying Spidey, so I'm not just going to take your word for it :P

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Wow, according to Bleeding Cool, there are serious discussions about dropping Marvel comic prices to $1.99 across the board. Nothing beyond speculation at this point of course, but damn that would be pretty awesome.

Check it out.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That would be nice, and I know I'd pick up more (or hold onto current series of) Marvel stuff instead of dropping it as fast as I am.

If they do do this, and it happens to also make comics go back to less expensive paper, I wonder how Quesada will spin it, as he defended that and the price increases pretty strongly before.

TexiKen on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You see, I know there are people here who have been enjoying Spidey, so I'm not just going to take your word for it :P
    BND isn't awful, but it is unneeded. It also gets slightly confusing as to which villains are where doing what and why now that the past is different and such things.

Really, my favorite Spidey in the past few years is the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

Edit: Comics aren't on paper now?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    If comics A) Went to 1.99 and B) Went to regular paper again I'm pretty sure I would shit myself with glee

I fucking love paper comics

Me Too! on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would actually buy some, and I hate floppies.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That would be nice, and I know I'd pick up more (or hold onto current series of) Marvel stuff instead of dropping it as fast as I am.

If they do do this, and it happens to also make comics go back to less expensive paper, I wonder how Quesada will spin it, as he defended that and the price increases pretty strongly before.

I'm pretty sure the spin would be that they now have a gigantic multinational behind them who can bankroll a loss in the direct market in return for increased long term sales of other Marvel properties.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Marvel wasn't hurting before this merger, no matter how they try and make it seem with the price increase beforehand. It was a successful company being bought buy an even successfuller company. "I ordered a double double, and they gave me a double double double double."

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Why don't you head over to the bitching thread if you want to rant about $3.99 comics again, it's really not relevant to this thread.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    You brought up the possible price decrease as it ties into the Disney Marvel merger. I responded, and didn't bitch about price increases, but rather the stance Quesada took with his past remarks about the price increase when Marvel was just hundreds of millions of dollars healthy, not billions.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Wow, according to Bleeding Cool, there are serious discussions about dropping Marvel comic prices to $1.99 across the board. Nothing beyond speculation at this point of course, but damn that would be pretty awesome.

Check it out.

That is not at all what the article says, on closer inspection

It's basically Wouldn't it be nice
    If we were older, then we wouldn't hvae to wait so long

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    You brought up the possible price decrease as it ties into the Disney Marvel merger. I responded, and didn't bitch about price increases, but rather the stance Quesada took with his past remarks about the price increase when Marvel was just hundreds of millions of dollars healthy, not billions.

But it all boils down to just another excuse for you to say that you didn't think the price hike was justified pre-merger. We know you think that, you don't need to keep saying it.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

Check it out.

That is not at all what the article says, on closer inspection

It's basically Wouldn't it be nice
    If we were older, then we wouldn't hvae to wait so long
    This is not just speculation, I understand it is seriously being discussed at the publisher right now.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Some guy who doesn't know shit about shit saying "WELL I HEARD" doesn't mean shit

Until ti comes from an actual reputable source ain't none of it make a difference

Me Too! on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh quit being difficult, Wiggin.

If this happened, how would it would affect their sales advantage against DC, which if I'm not mistaken, they retain?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    The article says what the article says, noone's got a gun to your head demanding that you believe it.

I'm just saying that if you're going say things like "on closer inspection" it'd probably be a good idea to read the whole thing first.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    The article says what the article says, noone's got a gun to your head demanding that you believe it.

I'm just saying that if you're going say things like "on closer inspection" it'd probably be a good idea to read the whole thing first.

On closer inspection it still doesn't actually say shit

I could say anything, like this:

"I understand Marvel is going to make a Mickey Mouse MAX book and the first issue has Minnie getting raped by Goofy"

Does not mean shit and neither does this article

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    You... you... forget it.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I'd drop my Marvel books if they went back to paper.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    What are they printed on now if not paper?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stone, Virral. Modern processes involve etching the art and writing onto a stone tablet.

caveman.jpg

As you can see, this man is a "Page Producer" in the wonderful world of comics.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    Ah, that makes sense. I thought it was going to be something silly.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    So easy a caveman can do it.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    What are they printed on now if not paper?

Lip gloss.

Hensler on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So easy a caveman can do it.

He's right. He is really, really correct.

I doubt I will live to see a reduction in price for Marvel comics. Especially since if it happens I will drop dead from joy.

Caveman Paws on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know whats been rumaging trough my mind since I learned of this merger?

Disney Comics!

Seriously they are a major publisher of comics in Europe. Like near monopoly big in Scandinavia.
    They also got loads of translators, making it possible to publish comics in foreign languages, localised for each country.

For kids under the age of 12, they are thecomic publisher in Europe.

Now imagine that corporate power being used to push Marvel comics.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    they do have disney comics in america, but i don't think they sell quite as well.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Well in Europe they sell alot. So much in fact that Carl Barks and Don Rosa are probably amongst the most famous comic artist on mainland Europe. (And you guys probably don't know who that is)

In Europe there is a comic where Donald Duck has a secret superhero Identity! Paperiniki: or the Phantom Duck.

Edit. cant make links work! my web-fu sucks. sorry

Kipling217 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is Phantom Duck essentially Darkwing Duck? Cuz I'd read that. Also, we know who Barks and Rosa are.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Is Phantom Duck essentially Darkwing Duck? Cuz I'd read that. Also, we know who Barks and Rosa are.

we know who they are, but the general populace (probably even the larger comic book reading populace) in america most likely doesn't.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    The general populace might know who Stan Lee is, and that's it.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009

Paperinik predates him by around 20 years, is actualy competent, but yes. Darkwing Duck was an attempt to bring him to American audiences without using the valuable Donald Duck IP.

The point being that using the same distribution channels Marvel can reach a huge audience of kids. So get ready for a whole lot more of Marvel Adventures series. A gigant fucking gateway drug right there.

Kipling217 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Servo wrote: »

we know who they are, but the general populace (probably even the larger comic book reading populace) in america most likely doesn't.

I disagree. It might take a little prompting, but I'm fairly certain that most people in america would be able to make the Barks/Rosa = Disney connection. The point that we might get more marvel adventures series would be wonderful though.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Paperinik predates him by around 20 years, is actualy competent, but yes. Darkwing Duck was an attempt to bring him to American audiences without using the valuable Donald Duck IP.

Does he do that awful Christian Bale Batman voice?

Crimsondude on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Does he do that awful Christian Bale Batman voice?

HEALTH WARNING: Don't try and do a Donald Duck voice -and- a Christian Bale Batman voice at the same time. You will tear the back of your throat/roof of your mouth up something fierce.

FIERCE.

Caveman Paws on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, maybe Disney can tell Marvel that Mini-Marvels is better than SuperHero Squad

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Hey, maybe Disney can tell Marvel that Mini-Marvels is better than SuperHero Squad

And Chris Giarusso should be given a Mini Marvel page in every Marvel comic that doesn't take away from story page count.

TexiKen on