As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[miniphalla] Phallanx: A Newbie Phalla - Game Over. Mafia win.

• KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This might be a stupid question... but what is the point of voting now? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and read all the chitchat for suspicious stuff before voting?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question... but what is the point of voting now? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and read all the chitchat for suspicious stuff before voting?

Early voting sometimes gets people to react strongly. Even on day one. Usually that is the best thing to work with this early.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    boogedyboo, because why not?

Robos A Go Go on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !Robos A Go Go because I always end up adblocking his sigs.

TL DR on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reserves can't vote!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately, OptimusZed has had to withdraw. Fortunately we have one reserve, so he is being replaced by Timothy Leary Come Check Out This Theory.

This is why it is good to reserve up for games that you are interested in. You never know when someone will have to withdraw. Or get hit by a golf cart. Or an SUV. Or trial.

Edit: Hey, at least he's active and eager.

Julius Caezure on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well at least my statement is still technically right, which is the best kind of right.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ack what a night. Hope I haven\t missed the vote... was up all niht transporting the body of a dead 3 year old girl, from a hospital in the middle of noiwhere, to a village in the middle of nowhere, in a country with no roads. Tugs (and snaps) heartstrings that kind of work.

I'd love to be random on a first night really but Robos a gogo was the last signup, and I figure the chances are good Julius waiting to close singups because he still had a spy left to assign.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    uean wrote: »
    Ack what a night. Hope I haven\t missed the vote... was up all niht transporting the body of a dead 3 year old girl, from a hospital in the middle of noiwhere, to a village in the middle of nowhere, in a country with no roads. Tugs (and snaps) heartstrings that kind of work.

D:D:D:

Hippie on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The zombie phalla is that way -->

Orange Soda on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You never know when someone will get hit by an SUV:
    lunapic125201862294683.gif

I'm sorry but this is the best photoshop to happen in a phalla ever. I'm gone for reals now *POOF*

Edit: Oh wait I also have to respect the host:
    blbus.jpg

*POOOOOOOOOF*

Nocturne on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd love to be random on a first night really but Robos a gogo was the last signup, and I figure the chances are good Julius waiting to close singups because he still had a spy left to assign.

I don't think that is how it works. (i.e. Julius only assigned roles when sign ups were closed)

mEEksa wrote: »
    !pablo_price has the most games, and by my logic eliminating the most experienced player will be to my benefit.

This is suspicious. Are you a Persian spy and afraid of the superior Greek deduction ability?

Grobian on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm 'merican, and in 'merica we kill injuns.

!dogbone33

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well the first time I used the RNG I got myself D: So after my second attempt my vote goes to...

!boogedyboo

lodwilk on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

I don't think that is how it works. (i.e. Julius only assigned roles when sign ups were closed)

!pablo_price has the most games, and by my logic eliminating the most experienced player will be to my benefit.

This is suspicious. Are you a Persian spy and afraid of the superior Greek deduction ability?

Oh.

Right.

I knew that.

Welcome to the Newbie Phalla, uean

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    edited September 2009
    Ok, dogbone is leading with 4 votes for being a cracker, a Native American and a Beatles-hater. Next one up is Robos with 3.

Of course this means that I vote !Timothy Leary Come Check Out This Theory because his long name fucks up my Excel table.

Grobian on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think this is one of the quietest day 1's I've ever seen.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited September 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »

Isn't it still early in the morning for you American types? Another reason is probably that noone wants to make a mistake and/or draw too much attention to themselves.

Grobian on
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now now I've never said I hated the Beatles. I made a crack at their expense yes, but I can't hate them.

Shit I grew up on their music.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It only occurred to me after I said this that it sounds suspicious. Of course, after being quoted for it, changing it would only be more suspicious. Essentially anything a player does could be construed as suspicious. Even defending myself is subject to scrutiny.

Now I'm confused.

mEEksa on
    edited September 2009
    Now I'm confused.

That's pretty suspicious. :P

Grobian on
    edited September 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »

Isn't it still early in the morning for you American types? Another reason is probably that noone wants to make a mistake and/or draw too much attention to themselves.

Well, I'm atlantic time and it's 9:40 am here so it's around 8:40 eastern. Still a little early for most. But looking at posts last night I just found there wasn't many made. Of course I assumed it was so folks wouldn't be too active and have attention drawn to themselves.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now I'm confused.

That's pretty suspicious. :P

You're trying to draw a lot of attention on me, and do you know what that means? Typical. Mafia. Behavior. I am on to your shenanigans.

mEEksa on
    edited September 2009
    I recommend that the two Masoned players (assuming there are only two) reveal themselves, solicit the attention of the Vigs, Seers, and Guardians and try to start building a network. If everyone's smart, the Guardians will protect the Masons, negating the risk inherit in revealing yourselves, and the Masons will be able to pass info from the Seers to the Vigs and/or the lowly Spartan soldiers indefinitely. The vote will be much more informed (special characters will be excluded off the bat and people whom seers reveal to be Spartans will be written off one at a time), and it'll be next to impossible for the Persians to keep up with us.

Also, I can give some tips on how to run a successful network, if you need them. Off the top of my head, the Masons can confirm the Vigs as reliable on day one by having them state their kills ahead of time, the Seers can be confirmed as reliable by having them seer Vigs/Guardians and report their findings (costs a day, but is worth it for the peace of mind), and the Guardians can be confirmed if the Masons manage to make it through the day without dying and/or the Guardian passes the Seer test.

In general, though, it's unlikely that the Persians will approach a Mason and pretend to be a Spartan since, obviously, doing so will just make the Persian a target once their subterfuge is discovered.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    How would the masons be able to trust anyone? And the spies would still have a 50% chance to kill one mason. (although I guess an outed mason isn't worth more than a villager)

/edit:
    Off the top of my head, the Masons can confirm the Vigs as reliable on day one by having them state their kills ahead of time, the Seers can be confirmed as reliable by having them seer Vigs/Guardians and report their findings (costs a day, but is worth it for the peace of mind), and the Guardians can be confirmed if the Masons manage to make it through the day without dying and/or the Guardian passes the Seer test.

I'll give you the vig. If the masons live through the day, that means nothing, as the spies could have easily targeted someone else. If you want to let the Seer target the Guardian to somehow prove both of them right, that opens lots of possibilities for shenanigans. Especially since you now called it and the fake Seer would just have to come back with "That guy is a guardian".

Also I was under the impression that there is exactly one of each good role (and 2 masons obviously).

Grobian on
    edited September 2009
    How would the masons be able to trust anyone? And the spies would still have a 50% chance to kill one mason. (although I guess an outed mason isn't worth more than a villager)

Like I said, the Masons can be pretty sure that the Persians aren't contacting them since calling attention to yourself as a Persian is always a bad idea. That said, you don't need to trust the people who contact you immediately. You can, however, trust the Vigs after they kill who they say they'll kill, trust the Seers if they pass your test (Seer someone whose role you know, such as a Vig or Guardian, and have them report back), and trust the Guardians if you don't die (yes, you might not die for other reasons, but unless an unusual number of Guardians contact you, you can be pretty sure the one who did contact you is for real). This leaves you with a pretty well vetted network after day one. Maybe you can't trust some members 100% at that point, but so long as you aren't telling suspicious people like Guardians you can't completely trust about who the Seers and Vigs are, there's no risk. Apart from the fact that the Persians know you're a Mason, you haven't lost anything, and the only person who knows the identities of the special roles are you and anyone you believe to be trustworthy.

And yes, if there is only one Guardian, then a Mason will have to die. I say that's a small price to pay, but whatever. If it's that much of a worry, then one Mason can reveal himself, though of course one person is harder to trust than two.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    It has been brought to my attention that I have not posted the breakdown of roles as promised. Since this is a newbie phalla, here is how it shakes out:

1 Vig
    1 Guard
    1 Seer
    2 Masons
    11 Villagers
    4 Mafia

Julius Caezure on
    edited September 2009
    We somehow got in our ways with the editing there. That looks like a dialog between two crazy people.

Anyway, I'm not wholly opposed to the idea, but I want to stress again that your method of testing the Seer is to give him the name of a confirmed special and see what he reports back with.

I think it might be better to wait at least a day with the mason reveal: The Seer will seer one person (of 18) today. 8 of those are specials, so he has a good chance to hit one. If he did, then he is easy to confirm. If not, then we're in the same situation as today.

Grobian on
    edited September 2009
    The only reason to doubt a Seer who contacts you is if two Seers contact you, and I don't think that's likely to occur. If it does, though, then you can just trust both provisionally (don't actually tell either anything useful) until you figure something out. When you do, you've got a Seer on your side and one Persian outed and dead. That's a great start.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    Maybe I am missing something, but your plan seems to have some huge holes, Robos.

Look, all the mafia would have to do is have two people contact the masons and pretend to be a vig and seer. The fake vig could declare a kill just like the real vig and the mafia could kill the person the fake vig called. The masons would probably have each "seer" see a vig but since the fake vig and the fake seer are working together they could work together so that the fake pair looks just as real as the real pair and the masons have a 50/50 chance of revealing the real vig to the mafia. That would cripple the village, wouldn't it?

Yeah, Robos, I think you are persian trying to get some of your spy buddies accepted as good specials. So, !Robos a go go

Kistra on
    edited September 2009
    We will probably see in the narration who is killed by the Spies and who is killed by the Vig.

And like Robos already said, to pull that off, they'd have to compromise two Mafia. And it probably will get found out eventually. The more I think about it, the more it seems that an early Mason reveal really puts the Mafia in a bad position. Either they try some shenanigans with fake reveals (as masons or to the masons) or they let a network happen.

If somebody now reveals as Mason, the good specials shouldn't reveal to them right away! (Seems obvious, but bears repeating)

/edit: btw this last vote now ties Robos and Dogbone with 4 each.

Grobian on
    edited September 2009
    We will probably see in the narration who is killed by the Spies and who is killed by the Vig.

And like Robos already said, to pull that off, they'd have to compromise two Mafia. And it probably will get found out eventually. The more I think about it, the more it seems that an early Mason reveal really puts the Mafia in a bad position. Either they try some shenanigans with fake reveals (as masons or to the masons) or they let a network happen.

If somebody now reveals as Mason, the good specials shouldn't reveal to them right away! (Seems obvious, but bears repeating)

I have to agree. You'd be placing a target on half of your team fairly quickly unless you could convincingly play things out for an extended period. Given the mechanics I don't think that something like this would be a smart idea.

Gonmun on
    edited September 2009

/edit: btw this last vote now ties Robos and Dogbone with 4 each.
    Oh, you can tell who killed a person? er... um... nevermind that does make it harder for the mafia to infiltrate :oops:

Can you tell if someone was guardianed? If not the mafia could pretend to be a guardian and just not vote for whoever they are pretending to guard.

Can the mafia kill the same number of people no matter how many of them are alive? Would they ever decide to sacrifice one of their own to get information and try to kill specials? If they can always kill the same number of people each night why do they all need to be alive?

Kistra on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This does seem to be a solid plan, these Masons coming forward.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited September 2009
    Kistra, we don't know yet if we can distinguish between the two nightly kills. We'll have to wait and see. (I'm guessing we can)

Yeah, the mafia could fake reveal as a Guard and just attack another target. Yeah they could fake reveal as a Seer and even sacrifice one of their own. But in both cases there will probably another person also revealing as that role and the Mason should be smart enough to not tell the competing roles about each other.

So, if the Masons want to reveal, what would be the best course of action?
    One Mason reveals, the Seer should then seer him and contact him on day 2? How can the other specials trust the revealed Mason? Just wait long enough and hope that a real Mason would be forced to reveal if a Spy reveals as Mason?

Grobian on
    edited September 2009
    Retracting boogedyboo and voting dogbone because I don't want to die!

Also, yeah, the reason I suggest both Masons reveal themselves is because revealing the whole pair lends the revelation legitimacy and also because revealing two Persians would be a huge risk for their side and likely not pay off. If the Masons play things too cautiously, then it takes a few days longer to get the Network properly running, and that means four dead good guys.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    A narration may not always indicate who killed whom. It depends on the host and on the game.

I personally like tweaking the narration to fit the events of the game. I like writing it, and the players seemed to enjoy reading the results in the other game I ran. So I will try to make the narration itself indicate how a person was killed. I will also post a summary of the deaths in this format:

Results:
    Julius Caezure (Leonidas - Vigilante) - killed by Persian spies.
    Not Julius Caezure (Ephialtes - Persian spy) - killed by Vigilante.
    Really Not Julius Caezure (Herakles - Villager) - killed by village vote.

Julius Caezure on
    edited September 2009
    Retracting boogedyboo and voting dogbone because I don't want to die!
    Also, yeah, the reason I suggest both Masons reveal themselves is because revealing the whole pair lends the revelation legitimacy and also because revealing two Persians would be a huge risk for their side and likely not pay off.

Please do not edit a vote post.

Julius Caezure on
    edited September 2009
    Sorry!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    S'ok. I did it with an unfortunate frequency when I started out. :P

Julius Caezure on