As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So it's been a while since i read the two Ultimate Iron Man's, but there was no previous mention of Tony's brother before UC 2 was there?

No there was not.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't like where Millar went with the Red Skull.
    He took his face off for no real reason and became a mercenary who's as famous as he is mysterious. OOooooOOOOO...

Having the military cover up their war hero's bastard son was a good touch, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They did explain why Skull took his face off, although it was done in typical Millar-level subtlety. And oh man that was such a nasty scene with him taking all the staff and guards.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He took his face off for no real reason and became a mercenary who's as famous as he is mysterious. OOooooOOOOO...

Having the military cover up their war hero's bastard son was a good touch, though.

He's just lashing out against his good for nothing pops, who was never there for him. I wouldn't expect you with your sakura cosplay dream world to understand.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

He's just lashing out against his good for nothing pops, who was never there for him. I wouldn't expect you with your sakura cosplay dream world to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6MxLYB8hM

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    They did explain why Skull took his face off, although it was done in typical Millar-level subtlety. And oh man that was such a nasty scene with him taking all the staff and guards.

Well, i said "no real reason". Wanting to get rid of the only thing you inherited from your father is a dumb reason, and the only reason it makes any kind of sense is because the character is called Red Skull and he needed to lose his face somehow.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009

Well, i said "no real reason". Wanting to get rid of the only thing you inherited from your father is a dumb reason, and the only reason it makes any kind of sense is because the character is called Red Skull and he needed to lose his face somehow.

3672466278_882b53f2f1.jpg

Faynor on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So i read it and didn't understand, was the Red Skull an exact copy of Cap or did he just look, kinda the same?
    I can get behind the first via comic logic, why he would basically shred his face, rebellion and what not, but otherwise? Thats just kinda dumb

On another note, Pacheco kinda feels like hes trying to hard to sort of emulate Hitch's art (panel layout and action sequences) which kinda bugs me.
    During Zero Tolerance, he had some really nice pieces which drew me in, the same way Hitch's did, whilst still retaining his pacheco-ness.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    So i read it and didn't understand, was the Red Skull an exact copy of Cap or did he just look, kinda the same?
    I can get behind the first via comic logic, why he would basically shred his face, rebellion and what not, but otherwise? Thats just kinda dumb

On another note, Pacheco kinda feels like hes trying to hard to sort of emulate Hitch's art (panel layout and action sequences) which kinda bugs me.
    During Zero Tolerance, he had some really nice pieces which drew me in, the same way Hitch's did, whilst still retaining his pacheco-ness.

Red Skull is Cap's son, so he's not an exact copy, no.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited September 2009
    i got that he was his son, but they didn't really(as far as i could tell) elaborate why he opted for self mutilation, just stating that he was removing the face his father gave him.
    If Millar doesn't give it some fat, thats kind of a dumb reason for the whole act

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

No it's not, if you have grown up to resent everything that father represents and stands for

WHICH HE HAS ("17 years of rage" so on and so forth)

Not that I know anything about hating fathers or anything but man you people are dense

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

No it's not, if you have grown up to resent everything that father represents and stands for

Not that I know anything about hating fathers or anything but man you people are dense

Nothing is even mentioned about him hating his father until he cuts his face off, and that is a pretty extraordinary thing to do in light of such ordinary feelings. It's a flimsy explanation.

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So Ultimate Red Skull is a mercenary who mutilated his own face because his dad was dead?

Man, at least Ultimate Deadpool sacrificed his face for a goddamn cause.

That's dumber than Doom putting a metal mask on his face fresh out of the oven.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Ultimate Ringo's face looked that way when he was born.

Faynor on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Life is hilariously cruel

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm liking Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, but with the whole Red Skull being Cap's son, and cutting his face off because he's a tactical genius and has built-up plenty of rage makes me want to nod in agreement for a bit, and then blow my brains out.

Does that make sense?

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
    edited September 2009

Nothing is even mentioned about him hating his father until he cuts his face off, and that is a pretty extraordinary thing to do in light of such ordinary feelings. It's a flimsy explanation.

"everything that has happened in the last seventeen years is because my father is Captain America and it sucks and so does he" is not the same as "I am mad at my dad"

Also

He's fucking insane

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    Also

he is mad because he is reminded of his father, whose fault it quite literally is that he has lived in a fucking lab his whole life, every time he looks in the mirror

So

Me Too! on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WTF Tony Stark has a brother?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sure. Why not?

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2009
    I think Tony Stark's brother should be a brotha.

Tony Stark's brotha should be black.

Faynor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's what Rhodey is for.

Crimsondude on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also

He's fucking insane

Honestly, I've got the feeling that this has more to do with it than anything else. This might be the only thing that's driving him.

The original Red Skull was a nazi, convinced of his inherent superiority. What if Ultimate Skull is the same, growing up just 'knowing' that he is better than everyone around him? That everyone else is not even a real person since they're nowhere near as strong or smart as he is? 'I'm a god amongst these people and I can do whatever I want.' He marked himself not to remove what he'd inherited from his father but to set himself apart from all the 'mere humans' out there.

I think it would be interesting for the Skull to have absolutely no real feelings about his father one way or the other, and just be some crazed, self-deluded demigod convinced everyone else is an animal that exists for him to mess with. That Cap being there in his youth wouldn't have changed anything at all - he'd still have turned out rotten.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Ultimate Red Skull was basically a lab rat his whole life, with no real parents or family - just a bunch of scientists fucking with him the whole time, and probably telling him how great his dead father was. It fucked his head up real good. As Hank Hill would say, "That boy ain't right."

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    I don't think anyones arguing the reason why he did it, just that it needed to be said or shown a bit more somewhere in the comic.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it's presented kind of abruptly and matter of factly, like, "By the way, it turns out he resented you and looking like you, so he cut off his face." If the idea had been presented earlier, perhaps by mentioning that one of the few psychological quirks he displayed was an aversion to his reflection and/or a reluctance to talk about his father, it would've been easier to accept.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I disagree - they said that part of his "tactical genius" was that he never showed any signs of wanting to escape before. By just having him flip out, kill 200 guys, and then cut his own face off out of the blue, it's coming off as he really was a crazy bastard, but smart enough to hide it. To me, not having it explained fits with the whole "tactical genius" aspect.

And who's to say that he won't start monologue-ing when Cap tracks him down about why did it.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    A tactical genius would realize that having a fucked up face would really hamper his ability to stay under the radar. He may be brilliant in most respects, but clearly his feelings about his lineage are nonetheless completely irrational. Given that, some foreshadowing wouldn't have been out of the question.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I think Tony Stark's brother should be a brotha.

Tony Stark's brotha should be black.
    And gay. So it can be just like How I Met Your Mother.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone here going to pick up Ultimate Armor Wars this week?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone here going to pick up Ultimate Armor Wars this week?

I'm considering it.

Although it'd be weeks before I'd actually get it in the mail.

Plus I'm spending wayyy more than I should be on comics right now.

I just read the preview, and realized that even though Ultimatum may have been a crappy event, it left a wonderful aftermath for new stories to be set in. There's a line about Tony and Reed cleaning out their labs of crazy science weapons before looters find them, which is an awesome idea.

HadjiQuest on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just picked up ucsm 1 and 2. 1 I loved so hard. I was laughing all the way through. Issue 2 I was a little meh on. I can make up my mind if I like the art as well. It's hard to look at after USM 1-133.

projectmayhem on
    edited September 2009
    i miss Immonen. He was the custard to the crust that was Bendis. A fine custard pie, which i imagine tastes delicious

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    i miss Immonen. He was the custard to the crust that was Bendis. A fine custard pie, which i imagine tastes delicious

I agree. What is he working on now?

projectmayhem on
    edited September 2009
    Last seen on the latest New Avengers, which had some amazing layouts, but that doesn't keep me from missing the hell out of his Spider Man
    Bagley may be the fan favorite, but my dude Immonen was where its at

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just read Ult Avengers 1 and 2 the other day. Never ever thought I'd say this, but Mark Millar to the fuckin' rescue.
    What kinda girl gets stopped by a bomb?

<3 Ultimate Cap.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I just read Ult Avengers 1 and 2 the other day. Never ever thought I'd say this, but Mark Millar to the fuckin' rescue.
    What kinda girl gets stopped by a bomb?

<3 Ultimate Cap.

bah... that's the kind of Cap writing that makes me hate Ultimate Cap. I get that Miller thinks he has his finger on the pulse of what it meant to be a man back in the 1940's, but his characterizations just come off as forced and silly.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, bear in mind that Cap was a 100 pound weakling cartoonist before his exposure to the serum. Unless a sudden surge of testosterone drove him mad, his characterization ought to reflect his former life as much as his current life.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, bear in mind that Cap was a 100 pound weakling cartoonist before his exposure to the serum. Unless a sudden surge of testosterone drove him mad, his characterization ought to reflect his former life as much as his current life.

You're right, of course. I do think it's plausible though that a 90lb weakling would actually overcompensate once he was made so powerful. Think of all the stories about power corrupting, and whatnot. After all, think about his life, post-serum: gorgeous, ripped, famous and beloved by everyone. He goes from a nobody to stopping the Chitaur'i invasion singlehandedly. It's not surprising that he might start embodying some of the stereotypes he previously held about such "strong" people.

mattharvest on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You're right, of course. I do think it's plausible though that a 90lb weakling would actually overcompensate once he was made so powerful. Think of all the stories about power corrupting, and whatnot. After all, think about his life, post-serum: gorgeous, ripped, famous and beloved by everyone. He goes from a nobody to stopping the Chitaur'i invasion singlehandedly. It's not surprising that he might start embodying some of the stereotypes he previously held about such "strong" people.

It's surprising to me. I find it to be a rather poor characterization. I get that it could happen, I guess, but it definitely dilutes the nobleness that Captain America embodied, that which I always attributed to his having been given such a gift.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'