As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead I and II: New VS/Survival DLC announced

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Endaro wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh man... I don't wanna nerd out here.. bt I have to

The infected in 28 days/weeks aren't really zombies. They don't die and then re-animate. I'm just sayin..

The "infected" in L4D don't either, but I don't know of anyone who would argue it isn't a zombie game. You're kind of missing the point/argueing over semantics if you try to say 28DL isn't a zombie film.

What zombie rules apply? Only reanimating? Only those caused by the supernatural? Only ones that eat brains? Only those that can/can't talk? What nerd rules do you subscribe to?

Rule Number One : Zombies are undead.

The zombies in 28 Days and Left 4 Dead are called in both 'infected'. Neither are legit zombies, but display zombie-like behaviour. A game can be a zombie game without any zombies in the same way a film can be a zombie film without any. Gears of War doesn't have any Bald Space Marines, it's just a genre trope. Same deal applies here.

The_Scarab on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Endaro wrote: »
    Oh man... I don't wanna nerd out here.. bt I have to

The infected in 28 days/weeks aren't really zombies. They don't die and then re-animate. I'm just sayin..

The "infected" in L4D don't either, but I don't know of anyone who would argue it isn't a zombie game. You're kind of missing the point/argueing over semantics if you try to say 28DL isn't a zombie film.

What zombie rules apply? Only reanimating? Only those caused by the supernatural? Only ones that eat brains? Only those that can/can't talk? What nerd rules do you subscribe to?

Since were on the internets, I can't tell if this is an angry post... seems like it is.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just pointing out that those infected in those movies aren't zombies.

I also did not know that the infected in l4d were not re-animated corpses, learn something new every day

It wasn't meant to be an angry post, just a slightly snarky one. But whatever, as Toxic said, they're infected in both L4D and 28DL, so luckily it works.

In reply to Scarab, it still seems like splitting hairs to me. "zombie" has been used in so many different ways I don't think even that rule can necessarily always apply. After all, the original anthropological use of the word doesn't necessarily mean the undead.

Endaro on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fly Gabe Newell made Kotaku, only then they took it down a minute later. Chicago Ted screencapped it, though!
    lacabra.png

LaCabra on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In my book Infected is just a descriptor for a zombie sub category, much like shamblers/runners are sub sets. The other option being Raised I suppose, since method of creation is what is being described.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I say, I do like that Ale and Wenches font.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Fly Gabe Newell made Kotaku, only then they took it down a minute later. Chicago Ted screencapped it, though!
    lacabra.png

why'd they take it down?

Iriah on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    cross-posting this to hopefully get more responses

Bought L4D last night. Would love to play it but every time I join a game my ping skyrockets to 1500+. I played TF2 regularly and I have never once had connection problems. If it matters I am on a 20Mb comcast business connection. I can play other online games with no problems. I have been kicked from every L4D game I have tried to play thus far.

If I can't figure out how to play the game at all is there anyway Steam can give me my money back?

Is it with specific servers, or every server you've tried? Also, have you tried turning off voice chat? I know, I know, thats a huge part of L4D, but KimChi's ping skyrockets when he leaves voicechat on in L4D, yet works fine in TF2.

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited September 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    lacabra.png

why'd they take it down?

Maybe they realised they got the wrong end of the joke stick

LaCabra on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That 28 Days Later sound pack is fine, but L4D wouldn't be L4D without the Johnny Bravo tank sound pack. Getting close and hearing, before triggering him, "Nuthin bad's happened yet," is always priceless.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So uh, the dlc release that was going to happen today supposively isnt going to happen?

Fuck it im uninstalling.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's up on the One True Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5356926/gabe-newell-boycotting-l4d-modders-campaign

Edit: Oh god the comments. I am so sorry for linking this now. Please don't read them.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That 28 Days Later sound pack is fine, but L4D wouldn't be L4D without the Johnny Bravo tank sound pack. Getting close and hearing, before triggering him, "Nuthin bad's happened yet," is always priceless.

I just downloaded this

It sounds wonderful

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The zombies in Night of the Living Dead aren't really zombies. They're not animated or compelled by voodoo.

The vampires in Bram Stoker's Dracula aren't really vampires. They can walk around during the day without being destroyed by sunlight.

etc.

gtrmp on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh ho ho ho
    The intonation of this post has changed completely because two people posted before me.

Antithesis on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    cross-posting this to hopefully get more responses

Bought L4D last night. Would love to play it but every time I join a game my ping skyrockets to 1500+. I played TF2 regularly and I have never once had connection problems. If it matters I am on a 20Mb comcast business connection. I can play other online games with no problems. I have been kicked from every L4D game I have tried to play thus far.

If I can't figure out how to play the game at all is there anyway Steam can give me my money back?

Is it with specific servers, or every server you've tried? Also, have you tried turning off voice chat? I know, I know, thats a huge part of L4D, but KimChi's ping skyrockets when he leaves voicechat on in L4D, yet works fine in TF2.

It has happened on every server I have joined via the game. I have yet to try the PA servers though I don't see why they would be any different. I don't have a mic so turning off the voice chat would be acceptable for the moment. I'll see if it works.

Shogun on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So uh, the dlc release that was going to happen today supposively isnt going to happen?

Fuck it im uninstalling.

errr, this was clarified a long time ago. It was never coming today.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Fuck it im uninstalling.

I do find how the answer to this appears to be uninstalling.
    I hope it comes out next week or something and you'll be all like awwwww

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited September 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Fuck it im uninstalling.

I do find how the answer to this appears to be uninstalling.
    I hope it comes out next week or something and you'll be all like awwwww

Man, I have to wait a few more weeks, tops, for my free content. OFF MY HARD DRIVE, VILE GAME!

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited September 2009
    Robin Walker contributed $100. Fly Gabe Newell is up to $281.05.

LaCabra on
    edited September 2009
    Robin Walker contributed $100. Fly Gabe Newell is up to $281.05.

You forgot the best part; the quote.
    This is Robin Walker, from Valve. The rest of us at Valve would sure appreciate a couple of days without Erik around, so thanks for organising this!

Quick question though: if I donated more, would you buy a one-way ticket for him?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Dr.TongueDr.Tongue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Napp your sig is simply great. Buster is such a filthy person.

Dr.Tongue on
    edited September 2009
    @Tongue: I do what I can to bring others to my own level.

Nappuccino on

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright Cab, I threw in $5. Now stop snubbing me in Armadeaddon chat when you throw out sweet internet links!

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited September 2009
    Haha, thanks man. Your post is up.

On another note, today I did what's probably going to be the final compile of the first map of my campaign, so here's some screenshots of it. Yeah, I know you've all seen it. Too bad!
    lc_museum_hall0411.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0415.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0448.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0457.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0462.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0472.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0483.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0489.jpg
    lc_museum_hall0501.jpg

LaCabra on
    edited September 2009
    looks snazzy mate.

also, levitating zombie!

Nappuccino on

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zombie Jesus

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zombie Jesus

One of the custom campaigns we tried has a Boomer nailed to a cross. His upper half is still attached but the bottom is lying on the ground. It was pretty amazing.

freakish light on
    edited September 2009
    $399.68 raised. So tantalising.

LaCabra on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aaaaaand now it's made RPS too:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/11/the-boycott-joes-l4d-map-campaign

I can't believe you've already raised $400. Gabe may as well start packing now. :lol:

subedii on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hah Cabra this is awesome, no idea it would take off.

Great idea! Any way to donate with a debit card or is it only credit cards?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited September 2009
    I have no idea man, I guess just try it.

LaCabra on
    edited September 2009
    subedii on
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Aaaaaand now it's made RPS too:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/11/the-boycott-joes-l4d-map-campaign

I can't believe you've already raised $400. Gabe may as well start packing now. :lol:

Oh man, awesome. I like that article.

We're coming up on $500. I have added a new note to the page:
    In the event that this all comes to nothing, donations can either be refunded or donated to the Child's Play charity, as per your wishes. Let me know when you donate, or I'll assume refund just to be safe.

LaCabra on
    edited September 2009
    HAHAHA! Oh man, Valve are freaking awesome.
    This is Robin Walker, from Valve. The rest of us at Valve would sure appreciate a couple of days without Erik around, so thanks for organising this!

Quick question though: if I donated more, would you buy a one-way ticket for him?

Robin.

subedii on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pics or it didn't happen for that Robin Walker mail

I mean it should be on your site too

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited September 2009
    Will this do?
    robinwalker.jpg

LaCabra on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dude

You realize they're gonna take you up on this shit

I hope you are ready to make yourself and your home presentable for Gabe Newell

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Dude

You realize they're gonna take you up on this shit

I hope you are ready to make yourself and your home presentable for Gabe Newell

Indeed. Hired henchman, soundproofed room, about maybe 30 yards of rope...

subedii on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should just hold him hostage till Valve releases Ep. 3.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited September 2009
    I don't think it'll end up happening. They're busy men. Best-case scenario they fly me over there.

LaCabra on
This discussion has been closed.