As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stick figures? A different approach.

MATPHATMATPHAT Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey y’all.

I’m just popping by to ask if you could take a look at my art and tell me what you think.
Most importantly I’m curious if the art concept, which is kind of 2D/3D amalgam, is easy to understand and enjoyable. My experiment is to discover if stick figures in a semi three dimensional world are viable as an art style to tell a story.
I’m new at all of this and I’m afraid my writing and art shows it, but it’s something I’ve been itching to try for a while now.
So, let me know what you think please!
If you’d like to see more go to Sticknia.com

Stickman.

10nfjgx.jpg

2ufprud.jpg

qno5cl.jpg

jhftzt.jpg

264qb8n.jpg
MATPHAT on

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem with stick figures in 3d space is that they inherently dont have any depth (which is rather important in 3d...).
    A stick figure works alright on a 2d plane because his arms and legs and whatever dont have to move forward or back, so its easy to read. But as soon as stuff starts moving back or forward, there's foreshortening and things are crossing in front of other things, etc etc. It because exceedingly difficult to read. The viewer cant tell whats in front or whats behind, or whats foreshortened or whats just short. The guys at the back on the bar (fighting?) are an example, same with the guy's legs on the barstool.

Also the big problem of line and shapes. The snake guy doesnt work because his body is forming shapes by intersecting with itself. If the "line" had form and was like, a tube or a pipe, it would work better, but its just a line.

Then mixing simplistic stickfigures with more detailed environments and objects (like the skull..thing) is very conflicting. It makes the stickfigures seem even more rudimentary. If they were stickfigures within a very simple and distilled universe it would work better, but because you gave depth and detail and form to everything else BUT the figures, it just stands out and doesnt fit. Create characters that fit into the enviroment, and give your figures some form.

Reminds me of the bazillions of shitty stickfigure flash animations (which primarily use stickfigures because they are easy to animate)

So no, I'd say this doesnt work. Stick figures usually dont.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Agree'd, for the same reasons.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to bring up another reason why it doesn't work:

Stick figures aren't easy to tell apart. Stick figures also don't have a very prominent silhouette. It's very hard to make a character from a stick figure alone.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hi! Thanks for your input all.
    One question, are you basing your opinion on the shots above, or did you go check out the comic?
    Sticknia.com ?
    I was hoping that a build up in the action and detail in the comic would "naturalize" the effects of the style and that people might get used to how it looks based on that progression.
    Maybe I'm off my mark though.
    If you haven't checked it out, would you?
    And I agree that because the figures lack a lot of variation, that a prominent silhouette is important. If you look through the comic you'll quickly notice that all the primary characters do have pretty significant variations in shape. Ones that I hoped would provide that immediately recognizable silhouette.
    Is it fail?

MATPHAT on
    264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a general rule, we only critique what's in the thread.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is it alright to paste one of the comics here then?

4.jpg

MATPHAT on
    264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Gib's point holds very true for those last three panels especially. It's hard to tell what's going on with the body parts when the limbs and motion lines are all represented in such a similar way.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So...how is this 2nd comic any different from what you posted originally? The same issues remain. I understand this is just another part of the comic you've already created, but...I don't really see the point in posting something that's essentially going to get the same critiques.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah, I thought that it would be more clear sequentially?

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

MATPHAT on
    264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One of the only ways I can see this being improved (as far as readability goes) would be if you keep the background lines very thin, and make the character lines very very heavy. It's not a solution, but if you're set on keeping the stick-figures (not recommended, as mentioned), that may slightly help the situation.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Night, I'm going to play around with some of that and see what I can come up with.
    =)

MATPHAT on
    264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that you can probably get away with extremely thin, stick-like characters, but not stick figures in the traditional sense. Make the upper torso a bit thicker, and maybe use an artist's stick figure (add a line for shoulders and hips).

Also, on your backgrounds, they're an uncomfortable mix of perspective and orthogonal views. Right angles are not your friends if you're going for any sort of depth.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It seems like you're a good enough artist to do something better than use stickfigures.

Also, there's a lot of empty space outside of the panels which I don't think helps anything.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    New comic is up if you guys would like to rip on it a bit more.
    I needz teh inputz!

MATPHAT on
    264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you ought to post it in here so it doesn't look like you're trying to direct traffic to your site

mully on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Read them.

Honestly, one of the things that drag people to comics greatly is eye candy.

Yea, it's cool that you try something different. But a stick figure is a stick figure. No depth, no nothing.

I think you are capable of better. Try to create a simple style if you want to, it's just that i can't really differentiate between many of the characters. i have to look at the head to see who is who most of the time. I think that you can make this comic better is you put a little more effort in and just draw something that doesn't have a common silhouette.

You need to do better then this. You got a lone warrior story and those are a dime a dozen. If you don't show me a better style I'm not going to be very interested in your work.

Shallow, but It's true. The style you picked is easy to produce. It's like you're being lazy.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only successful stick figure webcomic I've ever heard of is Order of the Stick. And that's very simplistic and flat, plus utilizes color to differentiate shapes. To avoid sounding redundant, I basically agree with everyone's critiques in here.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you