As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best christmas/Halloween/etc episode ever?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's an unwritten law that every TV series that is somewhat popular has to have a Christmas episode. Discuss the best, standout ones here or any good Halloween or other holiday related ones

Johnny Bravo had a fairly standard 'The main character has to take over Santa's route' but it was narrated in rhyme by Adam West, therefore making it awesome.

Invader Zim gave us one of the best Halloween episodes of a show ever with some even more screwed up designs by vasquez, plus the Christmas episode gave us the 'Hail Santa' song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZqtU_Rkzc

me and some friends were seriously considering going caroling with this song

Batman- The Brave and the bold only for the moment where Batman punches a robotic Santa's head off in front of two traumatized kids. "Pretend you didn't see that"

Batman - The animated series. The Joker busts out of Arkham on a rocket powered Christmas tree, kidnaps commissioner Gordon, his daughter and Bullock, tries to derail a train and commits other various felonies. All this just to (successfully) pie Batman in the face.

Robin - "You mean you've never seen 'It's a Wonderful Life?'"
Batman - "I could never get past the title"

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Supernatural - A very supernatural xmas - The brothers have to hunt down and kill the old pagan gods who are distributing christmas wreaths that summon them at night to take away people as human sacrafices.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, also

The Real Ghostbusters accidentally bust and trap the ghosts of christmas Pat, Present and Future

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Both Futurama X-mas episodes are excellent.

A Very Venture Christmas is probably the greatest 11 minutes of Christmas special known to man.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A Very Venture Christmas is probably the greatest 11 minutes of Christmas special known to man.

Out of the Doctor Who Christmas specials, I'd say the best is The Christmas Invasion, followed by Voyage of the Damned.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    charliebrownchristmas.jpg

That's all there is to it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Studio 60 - Xmas episode. Show deserved better ratings overall...the Christmas episode was a shining example of why.

Tylanthus on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Invader Zim Christmas thing was basically the most fucked up thing ever.
    That is the one where Zim (or was it the crazy scientist?) invents a super-Santa monster that ends up resembling that horrible organic creature from the end of Akira, right?

Qingu on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tylanthus wrote: »
    Studio 60 - Xmas episode. Show deserved better ratings overall...the Christmas episode was a shining example of why.
    "Why is Santa giving the Hitler salute?"
    "He's not. He's waving to the crowd."
    "No, he's heiling Hilter."
    "Oh crap. He is heiling Hitler."

Tach on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    charliebrownchristmas.jpg

That's all there is to it.

Lock the thread

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The first Simpson's Christmas Episode is a must. Also, most of the Halloween episodes from the first few seasons. And I would concur on the Futurama X-mas episodes.

Robot Santa, to an elf: "Don't you ever knock? Who knows what naughty things I could be watching? I get New Orleans on this thing, you know."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tylanthus wrote: »

West Wing, Season 3's Christmas episode "Bartlett for America" is fantastic. As is season 2's "Noel." Though their best holiday episode was "Shibboleth" for Thanksgiving in season 2.

Chuck's Christmas episode was a fantastic Die Hard parody this past year.

Also, Charlie Brown, obviously.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

Couscous on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I hate the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

What the hell is wrong with you.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really liked the zombie episode of South Park (which would be Halloween). Also the episodes with Santa in Futurama were great.

urahonky on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Batman - The animated series. The Joker busts out of Arkham on a rocket powered Christmas tree, kidnaps commissioner Gordon, his daughter and Bullock, tries to derail a train and commits other various felonies. All this just to (successfully) pie Batman in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veju4PxhuGc

Hilarious.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM7BDNbHatc
    Apparently the batsuit is pie proof.

chamberlain on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Back when Roseanne was still good, they had a Halloween special every year that was usually pretty fun. They did Halloween specials in the later seasons too but those were, like the rest of the show, bad and awful.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Woodland Critter Christmas was pretty good.

Marathon on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Supernatural - A very supernatural xmas - The brothers have to hunt down and kill the old pagan gods who are distributing christmas wreaths that summon them at night to take away people as human sacrafices.

That was great, last years "halloween" episode in black and white was also fantastic even if it didn't directly reference halloween (yeah I know they had the sameal ep but the b&w was superior).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marathon wrote: »
    Woodland Critter Christmas was the absolute best.

There are very, very few times when I have laughed so hard that I have literally fallen onto the floor. Two or three of them were from this episode.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Junkie...your continued existance is assured for mentioning the Invader Zim X-mas and Halloween episodes. Both are great episodes.

Also I'll second [third? Forth? What ever] the Futurama X-mas episodes. Also Bender's big score for the Holiday Icon's song.

Psychotic One on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    chewie_family_1.jpg

Oh wait. You said best.

In that case...
    vlcsnap-272862.png

Taximes on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A very Venture Xmas while extremely short does bring in the funny in a powerful and germanic way... Doctor O watching his daughter get some heavy petting in a non chalant manner is quite disturbing and hilarious (although I guess she deserved it... go krumpus go!)

<baby jesus is out of the manager>
    <what?! Camels poo toys?>
    <Ive been naughty>
    <all your xmas favorite xmas videos from brocks room, Miracle on 69th Street, Jingle Balls, Frothy the Blowman, Rudolph the Red-- what?! what!>

farbekrieg on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Simpsons Halloween episode where Bart and Lisa raise the dead (but they don't wreck the car) is a favorite. McDonalds put out a great Thanksgiving episode where some poor kids went to sleep hungry the day before Thanksgiving, had a dream about food, and woke up the next day with their table full of turkey and yams.

EDIT: Damn, can't remember what its name was. You win a nickel if you know what I'm talking about.

emnmnme on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why do we have heaven guns?

Or- "He's not the holiday rapist! He's the Christmas rapist! He only rapes on Christmas!"

SkutSkut on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Simpsons Halloween episode where Bart and Lisa raise the dead (but they don't wreck the car) is a favorite. McDonalds put out a great Thanksgiving episode where some poor kids went to sleep hungry the day before Thanksgiving, had a dream about food, and woke up the next day with their table full of turkey and yams.

"Dad, you just killed the zombie Flanders!"

"He was a zombie?"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    American Dad "The Most Adequate Christmas Ever" and The Office (UK) Christmas special are both good. Not as good as Peanuts or The Simpsons, though. Married... with Children "It's a Bundyful Life" is okay but mostly carried by Sam Kinison, the better Christmas episode is "You Better Watch Out" where a skydiving Santa takes a header into the family's backyard.

Peanuts and The Simpsons are also tops for Halloween. Also good are South Park "Spookyfish" where alternate-dimension Cartman is good, Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Halloween" where people turn into what their costumes are, and King of the Hill "Hilloween" where Hank has to save trick-or-treating from evangelicals. But the best non-Peanuts/Simpsons episode I've seen is Freaks and Geeks "Tricks and Treats." Martin Starr as the Bionic Woman is hilarious.

It's think it's Summer Gleason, not Barbara Gordon.

I liked the first segment of Holiday Knights, where Harley and Ivy kidnap Bruce Wayne and force him to fund a shopping spree. The other 2 segments in that episode are much weaker, though. Plus it aired in September, does that even count as a Christmas episode?

BubbaT on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's an unwritten law that every TV series that is somewhat popular has to have a Christmas episode. Discuss the best, standout ones here or any good Halloween or other holiday related ones

Invader Zim gave us one of the best Halloween episodes of a show ever with some even more screwed up designs by vasquez, plus the Christmas episode gave us the 'Hail Santa' song.

You could have stopped right there. Those are the two best holiday episodes ever. The Halloween episode is simply awesome.

I watch them both quite frequently with my kids. We watch Zim on DVD pretty much every night right before my two youngest go to bed. My youngest (son), knows the Santa song by heart.

"Bow doooooow... Bow doooooow... before the power of santa! Or be cruuuuuuuushed, be cruuuuuuuuushed... byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy his jolly boots of DOOOOOM!"

^^^ awesomeness.

logic7 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Why do we have heaven guns?

Or- "He's not the holiday rapist! He's the Christmas rapist! He only rapes on Christmas!"

Thank god, last post and someone finally mentions American Dad.

Halo, and goodbye!
    *BANG*
    Nothing? I said Halo. Oh screw you thats funny.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2009
    I'm gonna say this right now - Easter episodes are always terrible.

emnmnme on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At the end of season 3 and 4 of News Radio they did a one-off theme episode. Both of these are among the greatest ever made.

Season 3: News Radio In Space.
    Season 4: News Radio on the Titanic

In both cases it was the same characters and the same set (an office building) but with a few token props thrown in. EG: Dave's office becomes the bridge of the titanic. The mens room becomes the ships boiler room etc...

And of course the typical News Radio "best writing of any sitcom ever" thing to carry it all along.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm gonna say this right now - Easter episodes are always terrible.

you know nothing.

Arbor Day specials are the worst.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_Arbor_Day,_Charlie_Brown )

logic7 on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Futurama's Xmas Story is basically the best episode of television ever aired.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

"Two Cathedrals" is going to have to choke a bitch.

Though it is one of the better Futurama episodes, which puts it way up there in terms of comedies.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always loved the Robot Chicken Christmas episode, where Goku or whomever from Dragon Ball Z had to fight the Little Drummer Boy, the Nutcracker, and Composite Santa, who was half Santa and half Frosty the Snowman.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Woodland Critter Christmas
    "Blood Orgy!"

Fantastic Easter Special
    "Happy Easter Kyle"
    "Happy Easter Jesus"
    :Kyle shivs Jesus:

Red Sleigh Down
    "Christmas is a very special time of year, but…this year it almost didn't happen. There's a man named Jesus who gave his life to save me. And so I declare that every year on Christmas Day. we should remember Jesus for what he did, and thank him for it. From now on, Christmas will be a day for remembering a brave man named Jesus."

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • AllHailShakeAllHailShake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Generally, I like my holiday specials to have as little to do with the target holiday as possible, which is why the various Aqua Teen holiday eps are such a treat.
    RandomEngy wrote:

Which one? There were two.

AllHailShake on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about the New Batman Adventures Holiday special? The three mini-stories are great fun, but the best is the interaction between Batman and Gordon at the end.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fairly recently: Transformers Animated. "Human Error". At least, it starts out on Christmas.

But hey, it gives us this:

PrimeReadyToRock.jpg

And that's always a good thing.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited September 2009
    What happened to his thighs?!?

emnmnme on