As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vancouver PAX Forumer Events: November 2009 to April 2010 Edition

AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in PAX Archive
Are you stuck in the sensory deprevation of Post PAX drudgery?
Do you miss all those entertaining PAX Forum People you met at our Pre-Pre PAX events?
Do you think one month before the event wasn't nearly early enough to start up celebrations?
Are you looking for something to do now that you are free of your PAX Pig Plague symptoms?
Are you sick of these stupid questions and just want me to get to announcing the upcoming events already?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then I gladly present to you the Pre-PAX East Edition of the Vancouver PAX Forumer Event Listings: A series of forumer gatherings meant to get us through the rainy drudgery of winter in Vancouver.

For those of you not venturing to Boston for PAX East this March, you can still join us in counting down to PAX East and celebrate March 29th as the official start of next years Pre PAX Prime celebrations. :mrgreen:

========================================================================
EVENT CALENDAR:
October 2009
Sunday October 4th: AHH! ZOMBIES! NIGHT @ Davie Mongolian BBQ (Dinner) & Zombieland @ Scotia Bank Theatre (movie)
Saturday October 17th: ABBOTSFORD RAID NIGHT PART DEUX : The Quest to Spend the Rest of the Cash on Our Play Cards @ Castle Fun Park
Friday October 30th: FRIGHT NIGHTS CARNIVAL RAID @ Pacific National Exhibition, 2901 East Hastings Street Vancouver
Saturday October 31st: HALLOWEEN @ PUB 340 @ PUB 340

December 2009
[strike]Saturday December 5th: Cthulhupalooza II: Son of Cthulhupalooza @ Rio Theatre (brought to you by 2LW)[/strike] Postponed by the organizers

February 2010
(DATE TBD): NO MOAR OLYMPIC TRAFFIC KPLZTHX @ JIMZ GAMING LOUNGE (Currently Postponed)
Thursday February 25th: Jonathan Coulton Concert @ Rio Theatre

March 2010
Monday March 22nd: FTW! (For The Wings) Night 2.5 @ WINGS
Wednesday March 24th: The Vancouver Slightly Less-Super Trip departs for Boston via SEA-TAC

April 2010
Saturday, April 17th: Darkest of the Hillside Thickets (Opening for Thor) @ The Railway Club (579 Dunsmuir Street)

May 2010
Wednesday, May 5th: Canadian Video Game Awards @ Vancouver Convention Centre
Thursday, May 6th: Video Games Live @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
Friday, May 7th: W00tstock @ Moore Theatre (Seattle) .... roadtrip!

EVENT LISTINGS:
Darkest of the Hillside Thickets (Opening for Thor) - Saturday, April 17th
The Railway Club (579 Dunsmuir Street)
Doors at 8. Thickets at 11.
$10 at door.

Links:
Myspace Event page

Canadian Video Game Awards - Wednesday, May 5th
Featuring the music of Video Games Live
Vancouver Convention Centre
Tickets start at $22

Links:
CVGA Website

FOR THE WINGS NIGHT 2.5 @ WINGS - MONDAY MARCH 22ND
Event Organizer: AbsintheMinded

Time: 6:30 PM

A night of DS, Wings, DS, booze, DS and a little DS at one of the best wing joints in Vancouver. If they have the nerve to call themselves Wings, you know that their dismembered poultry appendages must be good.

Event Rooster:
AbsintheMinded +1
ACC3SS
Deadmetal
HonestD
Parabola
Teenychicka +1
Trotsky
Wormdundee
SOME GUY NAMED JONATHAN COULTON LIVE @ The Rio - THURSDAY FEBRUARY 25TH
Event Organizer: Ticket Master

Time: 7:30 PM

Pricing: $25 + obscene Ticketmaster Fees

It's JoCo.... so the question is why aren't you going?

JoCo Groupies:
AbsintheMinded +2
ACC3SS
Chicazul
Deadmetal
Trotsky
Parabola
Snausage
Sumi + her lazy +1 that never posts here
Teenychicka + her lazy +1 that never posts here
Wormdundee
NO MOAR OLYMPIC TRAFFIC KPLZTHX @ JIMZ GAMING LOUNGE - (POSTPONED - DATE TBD)
Event Organizer: Ticket ACC3SS

A night of Console Gaming at Jimz in Port Moody: Time 7:00PM - 10:00PM

Pricing: $20.00
Please note Jimz Gaming Lounge exists in a strange land where plastic money doesn't exist. In other words it's Cash Only.... so be sure to bring outdated paper tender with you.

Prepare yourself for a night of console gaming at Jimz Gamer Lounge. Admission is 20 bones. The competition will be fierce. Alliances will be hastily made and epically discarded. Foes will be crushed. Headshots will be made. Combos will be counted. Blocks will be boomed. Grifballs will be planted. Princesses will be in other castles, which may also be crashed. And, yes, there will be blood. Zombie blood.

Jim even said he'd throw a BBQ for us. OM NOM HOTDOGS.

So, put on your gaming face (GRRRR!) and bring a Queen E to the most anticipated Pre-PAX Vancouver Gaming Night of the year. You won't regret it!
Transit Directions: Take the skytrain to Lougheed Station. From Lougheed Bay 1, take the 97 B Line 10 stops to St John's and Moray Street (aprx 15 min trip). Cross the street... walk in the door.

Avid Gamers:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
Deadmetal
Trotsky
Wormdundee

Previous Event Archive:
AHH! ZOMBIES! NIGHT - SUNDAY OCTOBER 4TH

Dinner Location: Davie Mongolian BBQ: 1161 Davie Street, Vancouver
Movie Location: Scotiabank Theatre: 900 Burrard Street

All you can eat Mongolian BBQ followed by Zombieland.

Throw in a little DS freeplay while waiting in line for the movie and you have one entertaining geek event in the making. Dinner will be at 5:30pm with the movie starting at 7:40pm.

Confirmed Zombie Minions:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
de4dmeta1 (food only)
Parabola
Sumi +1 (movie only)
Teenychicka +1 (movie only)
Tr0tsky
Wormdundee
ABBOTSFORD RAID NIGHT PART DEUX @ CASTLE FUN PARK - SATURDAY OCTOBER 17TH
AKA: The Quest to Spend the Rest of the Cash on Our Play Cards

Time: 7pm - midnight

Pricing: See Website
Some of us still have a bunch of Castle Fun Dollars on our Play Cards that must be spent, so once again we are venturing into the aromatic lands of Abbotsford for a night of Mini-Putt and other foolery. The event will be a free for all, you can choose what events you want to partake in once there. Most likely two or three rounds of mini golf will be had, which is $7.00 per round, but there are group rates if enough of us participate.

We will be carpooling into Abbotsford from Vancouver/Richmond so make sure you have a full carload, if not jump in with someone else's or take a few more folks with you. We're all friendly here. ;)

Raiding Party:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
Sumi
Tr0tsky
Wormdundee
FRIGHT NIGHTS CARNIVAL RAID @ PNE - FRIDAY OCTOBER 30TH
Event Organizer: de4dmeta1

Time: 6pm to Whenever We Get Kicked Out

Pricing: $30 online, $33 at the gate

Just for the hell of it, pardon the horrible attempt at humor. Playland is running Fright Nights again this year, so why not go ride some rides? Maybe even wear a bad costume while doing it.

If, somehow, we get a group of 20 people or more, far enough ahead of time to buy online, I can get about $5 knocked off each ticket.

Who's up for some late-season rides?

Would be Carnies:
AbsintheMinded
ACC3SS
de4dmeta1
Parabola
Sumi +1
Wormdundee

AbsintheMinded on

• AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We need to start adding enough events to fill the four months between October and March so start tossing in your ideas.

We can start with a nice simple dinner at the buffet we went to last month to kick things off, because it was a pretty good meal and easy to plan. It also gives enough time for everyone to get healthy and for Hollywood to put out a movie that won't cause me to convulse if I need to pass over $10 to see it. I think Zombieland might suffice.

Secondly we need to make another trip to Castle Fun Park to try the Jungle Golf course and spend the rest of the money on our Play Cards. Also I'm pretty sure there is no AC/DC concert that night so hopefully our Nordic contingent can join the Abbotsford Raiding Party this time.

Anyone want to add any other events to the list?

AbsintheMinded on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm tentatively down for everything. Probably not going to abbotsford, but i want to.

parabola on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a ton of homework so postponing is a plus but if not I'll still come.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    postponing's fine by me....the more the merrier, and recovery is a plus.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    I was about to say "Saturday Morning Cartoon" at the Rio...but that's happening right now or something :P

tr0tsky on
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just to be clear, we are still on for today....

If people can't come, then that's cool too, as we will have another function in the future.

HD

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
    edited September 2009
    If tr0tsky and absinthe are still in then I am too. Actually I think it will be nice to take a break from homework.

Someone just flip a coin maybe? I think we need an executive decision asap. In my honest opinion we should probably do it another weekend when more people are available.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    It's on, and I'll be checking the forum for any late posters... In any case, we have a few friends coming over, so it's happening in either case.

We'll have another event eventually, so even pro-postponers won't be left out. Y'know, in the future...

honestD on

edited September 2009
    I think all further events should avoid stairs.

And Surrey.

parabola on
    edited September 2009
    I'm down for the raid and FTW, barring any unforseen circumstances.

honestD on

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In for everything but Abbotsford. I honestly don't feel that Castle Fun Park deserves any more of my money. Perhaps I'll change my mind if I get a particular urge to play mini-putt.

ACC3SS on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Put me down for anything on the weekend.
    Except Abbotsford raid 2 - that day is already jam-packed on my schedule, and has been for weeks. No AC-DC, but other things. Sorry folks.

tr0tsky: nothing to say you can't throw future SMCP events on there, eh?

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2009
    Hrm... okay now that the BBQ thread got merged with this one it looks like our events are now going to be listed in post #21 instead of the OP.

Honest D if you can make reference to that in your OP, I'll see if I can get this thread re-modded correctly. :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    Why is it that the Vancouver threads are plagued with illogical moderating, be it accidental or intentional?

Methinks someone has a vendetta again Canada.
    :P

ACC3SS on
    edited September 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Why is it that the Vancouver threads are plagued with illogical moderating, be it accidental or intentional?

Methinks someone has a vendetta again Canada.
    :P

Yeah having an older thread merged into this one, thus moving the correct OP and the current event listing to post 21 is going to make things a tad akward in this thread. Since the BBQ already happened that older BBQ thread would have been better off locked, leaving this this one for current/future events.... but alas 'tis not what happened.

I sent Moe a PM asking if he can do just that by unmerging these threads and locking the old, no longer valid BBQ thread but haven't heard back yet.

I'm sure Moe will figure something out to make this work.

Or I guess we can make this thread really odd and just have everyone who has a post in the first 20 delete their old comments and replace them with something like:
    Due to an unfortunate and unforseen merger, this thread is now under new management: Please refer to Post #21 for correct OP. :mrgreen:

Anyway... ACC3SS did you have any new events you wanted me to add to [strike]the OP[/strike] post #21? (see not akward at all) I know you had a few in mind. I was thinking we could look at doing another round of Laser Tag in November, any other ideas?

EDIT: Also Honest D, I can't even change the thread title anymore. Since you ended up with the OP can you see if you can change the thread title to include: (Events Now Listed in Post#21) at the end, so people know where to look?

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    [Nothing to see here... move along.]

And yes... someone does have a vendetta against Canada. :P

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, edited the title to include a direction to post 21. I agree that it's odd, merging these two posts. I would have also preferred to see my OP locked, just so that the first post in this thread would be number one.

In any case, thanks for taking the reins on the Vancouver Post-PAX/Pre-PAX forumer events!

Also, what's SMCP?

HD

honestD on

edited September 2009
    honestD wrote: »
    Also, what's SMCP?

Saturday Morning Cartoon Party

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Why doesn't someone just pm moe?
    I sent Moe a PM

Perhaps he just looked at the PM as closely as you looked at the post I made right before yours. ROFL :P

I both of your defence (Sumi and Moe) I can be a bloody windbag so perhaps the point was missed. If someone wants to send a more concise PM than I am capable of writing perhaps it will be better understood. On the other hand he might just still be hella busy after getting home and just hasn't gotten to it yet.

However I expect the now odd ending to our thread title might catch someone's attention more than a PM. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    I subconsciously skipped over it because there was too much text. My bad.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    I subconsciously skipped over it because there was too much text. My bad.

Yeah, yeah....

<==== Windbag.

So considering the date of our Abbotsford Raid.... should we be looking into some belated cake for the event? I'm not sure if cake is enough to get people out to Abbotsford but it might sweeten the deal. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    I can make cheesecake. The BAKED kind that takes like four hours to make.

...Tr0tsky, prepare for defeat.

And no, you are not a windbag. I just have an extremely short attention sp

[edit] okay seriously.. this is so off topic but check out this cake.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    I can make cheesecake. The BAKED kind that takes like four hours to make.

...Tr0tsky, prepare for defeat.

I can make baked cheesecake as well (I make pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving and eggnog cheesecake at christmas), I just prefer non-baked because it's lighter. Really, they both take about the same time/effort to make anyway.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    I'm sorry I doubted your culinary skills.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Moe :D

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »

Seconded.

I love zombie movies so I'll try to make that one. And you know I'm in for abbotsford.

Sumi on
  • TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone see the "It aint' easy being creepy" guy at The Rio during intermissions? I thought he was a riot last time I saw him, and now he has his own show. It could be something funny to see as a group?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140403482989&index=1

I'm sure most of you know about Desert Bus for Hope. Well, they're doing it again in November, and we could do something with that. Maybe get together at someone's house, eat a lot of pizza and bus shaped cookies, and watch their live feed? (I mostly just want magic schoolbus cookies *cough*)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=132801406722&index=1

Other than that, not much happens during the winter season. Skating + gaming is never smart, not that stops me.

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
    edited September 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »

Seconded.

I love zombie movies so I'll try to make that one. And you know I'm in for abbotsford.

Thirdedid.... :mrgreen:

Yeah Zombieland just seemed like a Pre-PAX kind of movie. It looks awful to the point of hilarity.... and it has Zombies.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    I've actually seen "It Ain't Easy Being Creepy" guy doing standup somewhere...and I can't remember where. Guy's pretty funny.

I'm in for Zombies.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2009
    It looks awful...

By 'awful' you mean 'AWESOME!', right?
    :mrgreen:

ACC3SS on
    edited September 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    It looks awful...

By 'awful' you mean 'AWESOME!', right?
    :mrgreen:

Well, one of the trailers shows them throwing a Zombie off the roof.... then passing around purel.

With jokes like that, those two words are synonimous. It's definately 'groan' humour (horrible pun fully intended).

So does that mean you are in?

AbsintheMinded on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two things; First, I won't be able to make the actual movie part of Movie night, because I have tickets to go see Dethklok and Mastodon at around the same time. I will definately hit up the dinner though.

Second, event get!

FRIGHT NIGHTS CARNIVAL RAID
    Where: Playland, @ Pacific National Exhibition, 2901 East Hastings Street Vancouver
    When: Friday, October 30th - 6pm to Whenever We Get Kicked Out
    $$$?: $30/ea online, $33/ea at the gate

Just for the hell of it, pardon the horrible attempt at humor. Playland is running Fright Nights again this year, so why not go ride some rides? Maybe even wear a bad costume while doing it.
    If, somehow, we get a group of 20 people or more, far enough ahead of time to buy online, I can get about $5 knocked off each ticket.

Who's up for some late-season rides?

HALLOWEEN @ PUB 340
    Where: Pub 340, 340 Cambie St, Vancouver [gastown]
    When: Saturday, October 31st - 9pm to Whenever
    $$$?: $10/ea advance tickets, no idea @ door
    RELEVANT LINK: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=122230996870&index=1

It's what it says - a Halloween party at Pub 340, complete with musical acts. For those too lazy to click-through on the RELEVANT LINK, the bands are as follows;

The Chase
    Fuzzcat
    The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Come eat, drink, be merry, and enjoy some local-brewed Cthulhu rock while you're at it. Costumes of questionable quality strongly encouraged.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like one hell of a Halloween! Count me in :D

ACC3SS on
    edited September 2009
    So... my best friend just got engaged. Guess which date she set for her wedding......

I'm honestly going to cry.

p.s. Hello from Disneyland. (Well Anaheim if you want to get technical.)

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    So... my best friend just got engaged. Guess which date she set for her wedding......

Lol. I always think worst case, so I'm guessing she is either getting married next labour day weekend... or durring PAX East.

BTW, if she's REALLY your best friend she'd know both weekends are off limits. :winky:

Also I'd be up for a finally visiting Playland for the first time.... I'll add those events to the OP later tonight. Not sure about the Halloween party, I might already be booked by other friends.... but I'll know in the next few days.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited September 2009
    On the topic of Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Cthulhupalooza II: Son of Cthulhupalooza has just been posted for December 5th.

Last year was freakin' awesome and then some. Don't miss out!

ACC3SS on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009

Like my friend Spook said about the guy who's sister's wedding was set for next PAX Prime at the first Q&A, she'll get married again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2009
    Hahaha!

Yeah, she picked September 4th. PAXEast I could have delt with. AND, to make matters worse, she asked me to be the maid of honor. Oh well, a true friend would change the date.

Sumi on
    edited September 2009
    I'm down for zombies provided I'm done with this fucking flu.

I'm also down for Carnival Raid.

parabola on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damn, totally forgot about this thread. I'm in for the zombie night, not sure about the abbotsford raid night though. I think I'll probably be able to do it.

Wormdundee on
This discussion has been closed.