As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4E, Legends of Novus OOC] GM Post up, read OOC for details on skill challenge!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow. Thanks for catching that. Need bed now.

tzeentchling on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Personality -
    Miss is driven by her past. Completely willing to lie, cheat, murder, steal, and torture to achieve her goals of revenge, she comes across as slightly... off. Sometimes, however, her gregarious Changeling nature will slip through, and in those moments she almost seems cheerful, as though she were in a better time.

Appearance -
    Pale skin, black orbs for eyes, a face that looks almost doll-like, her pointed ears sticking out past her oddly-colored hair, Miss strikes an unusual figure amidst the crowds of people. Of course, Revenants aren't common anywhere. Her dark clothing and soft footfalls help deflect attention from her, as much as is possible, but she still prefers to stick to the shadows, always having favored stealth over confrontation, darkness over daylight. Her insistence on moving silently and stealthily often unnerves people, as she arrives behind them without any forewarning.

Memory and Pain -
    Memory comes in flashes. Her life before is wrought with death, dealt by her hand. Poisons, blades in the dark, shifting to take the place of a diplomat. Dozens have died by her hands, and nobody has known.
    As Memory comes closer to the moment of death, it begins to fragment. Five faces, her closest compatriots. Hars, Lam, Ruz, Yug, and Bin. Each of them whispering a condemnation that she can't quite remember. Then Memory turns to Pain.
    Flames and fire. The scream of a woman's voice. Memory is clear on the scent of burning pine, the knowledge that the screaming woman had deep blue eyes and soft lips. Was she a real lover? Or the wife of a mask she had worn? Memory is unclear. Pain replaces Memory once again.

Then, the pale grey light. The true face of the Unknown Stranger was revealed to her, although she dare not speak of it. Her soul placed in a new body, with the whispers of the Stranger echoing inside her empty-feeling skull. Memory met her for the first time, whispering in the dark. The faces of her killers.

Slowly but surely, Miss put together her past. The Fraternity had betrayed her. They had killed her. Now she was back, and while the insistent murmurs of the Stranger pushed her towards an important destiny, Miss wanted one thing. Revenge. Black-tipped fingers scrawl a message on the wall, blood of a Fraternity agent serving as ink. "You killed me. Now it's my turn."

The Guilty Peasant -
    The cold winter wind bit hard as it howled down the walls of Dronomer. The snow crunches under your feet. You had tracked the murderer all the way to Kursk. He had to be here. The noble that hired you had told you he was dangerous, a crazy peasant who had murdered the noble's son right in front of him and then two guards who tried to stop him. He had fled north and you chased. For miles upon miles, you had chased him. Finally, he was cornered. He had to be. There was no where else to run. The snow swirled around you and the cold nipped at you. You spied a figure against the wall, limping. You clutched the weapon tighter, the wound you had dealt him earlier had taken its toll. A thin smattering of blood was here and there on the white snow. You drew closer to him and he finally stopped his hobble and slowly turned to you, throwing up his arms.

"I can't do this anymore, I can't. I can't go on, I'm tired, I'm worn out from this. I'm done. I've done the deed I needed to do. That... that swine took my home from me. He took it away from me and he paid what he did. They say its their right, that they get to pick but I killed him anyways. I killed them and I would kill them again if I could." He sank to his knees in the snow. "Do it. I am not going on. Do what it is that needs to be done. Let me pay for the sins." A tear rolled down his cheek. "Do it."

She chuckled quietly, her voice chilling in the air. "I'm not going to kill you, peasant. All I want is for you to walk a mile, and tell the first man you see my name." The knife slid out of a sheath, and began the slow work of cutting off his ear. Screams echoed in the snow "He'll give you a quick death, and no return to the lord for torture."
    "And you'll give him my name. Miss. Remember it!"

The peasant sobbed as the figure turned and left, her black-cloaked figure vanishing into the snows. With slow, lurching steps, he brought himself to his feet, one hand clapped over his ear as he continued on.

Rainfall on
    edited September 2009
    Talon, quick question.

The Weapon/Implement Expertise feat, introduced in the Player's Handbook 2, grants a +1 untyped attack bonus per tier for a specific weapon/implement class.

It's a feat that everyone takes, because it was put in by Wizards to fix a bit of broken math they had. Not to mention a +1 untyped attack bonus, which everyone wants.

So can we(the party as a whole) please have it for free, rather than having to pay the feat tax for it? I'd rather spend my feats on cool things that let me do more neat tricks and real bonuses rather than a flat attack bonus, but I'll buy it anyway because it's so critical.

Rainfall on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Talon, quick question.

The Weapon/Implement Expertise feat, introduced in the Player's Handbook 2, grants a +1 untyped attack bonus per tier for a specific weapon/implement class.

It's a feat that everyone takes, because it was put in by Wizards to fix a bit of broken math they had. Not to mention a +1 untyped attack bonus, which everyone wants.

So can we(the party as a whole) please have it for free, rather than having to pay the feat tax for it? I'd rather spend my feats on cool things that let me do more neat tricks and real bonuses rather than a flat attack bonus, but I'll buy it anyway because it's so critical.

Seconded.

There's lots of sources and player opinions I could cite that talk about how the (blank) Expertise feats are a math fix on Wizards' part - a feat tax that the players pay because WotC messed up defense scaling.

interrobang on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have no problem with people taking that feat for free, that is fine.

Also: Start giving your characters last names, goddamnit. The only way you will get to have a singular name is if your concept really, really demands it and even then my cheese factor indicator will be red-lining. You are not goddamn superheroes.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Also: Start giving your characters last names, goddamnit. The only way you will get to have a singular name is if your concept really, really demands it and even then my cheese factor indicator will be red-lining. You are not goddamn superheroes.

Aaaaaas yooooouuu wiiiiiiiish!

tzeentchling on
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just trying to leave it open-ended since his family name is so important but I guess he could have an assumed last name.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    I have no problem with people taking that feat for free, that is fine.

'kay. Done.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited September 2009

JC, for now we are apparently going with the standard array of magical items. You might want to pick some up to fix that terrifyingly low AC.

Rainfall on
    edited September 2009
    Just giving everyone a heads up, due to the number of excellent submissions I've gotten I am going to close recruitment sometime this weekend. I really wish I could run a party of twelve, I am liking something about every single app. I will probably be running a seven-character party. If anyone out there has some killer apps (arcane user and controllers are gonna be needed), now is the time.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »

JC, for now we are apparently going with the standard array of magical items. You might want to pick some up to fix that terrifyingly low AC.

Oh. I'll get on that tomorrow morning.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Karamir <lastNameHere> - Genasi Invoker

Talon, I'll get you the response probably today.

History

Karamir is among the descendants of the Genasi who arrived by ship. Unaware of their past they forged a new future for themselves. He was given to the priesthood of Kharak at a young age as his tribe passed through Cygepta. The danger of a travelling band of Genasi no place for a youngster like him. Raised in the temples he adopted the beliefs of the priests and entered their ranks when he was of age. When he finally reached adulthood, he was given the test that all of his brethern must go through to become full priests. Boarding an airship he was taken to the middle of the desert and left on his own to prove his worth to the Priesthood. 30 days and 30 nights he was to survive and commune with his god to prove his dedication. Finding a ruined temple in the middle of The Burning Sands, he meditated and prayed. After days of starvation and little water, he became weak and began to see visions. He beheld a figure whose power radiated over him. Deep inside he knew this was his god Kharak. Kharak gave him a message, a task to purge his church of a taint that had crept up to its highest leader, the Piaro. First though, he had to prove himself worthy. As the ultimate test of character, Kharak wiped Karamir's mind of his past and all his teachings from the Priesthood. It would be up to his nature to guide him along the true path that the church had long since strayed from. If he was up to the test, it would fall upon him to cleanse the religion and bring its people back to the true faith.

The trauma of this encounter left Karamir weak again and he slept in the desert for what seemed like an eternity. He was found by a small tribe that lived in the desert. They brought him to their home, nursed him to health, gave him a new name, and encouraged him to look within for the true answers about himself. Living with these people and helping them in their daily survivial in a harsh desert environment helped Karamir begin his path towards his true test. He learned many of their skills of survival and their primitive (but highly effective) martial arts. After a time, he realized that his path with these people had to split as he would no longer advance in his faith and knowledge with them. He thanked them for the life they had given him and went to seek out the world and prove to his god that he was worth of the task given him.

The Journal of Karamir:
    Was it all a dream?

I leave the scorching heat of the desert on this journey I've been tasked with. My faith in Kharak and the goal given to me the only thing keeping me going. I still have faint memories of another life, another person. Who I am now is a mystery. A past I can't return to. I've spent time with these poeple of the desert learning to survive. A man saved from certain death in the blazing heat and empty expanse of sand to be brought in and healed of my physical wounds. The mental injury remains still. I'm a blank slate, with only a leftover reminder from this past existence. The words of a god commanding me to follow his path, and purge his church of a vile taint that has plauged it. Maybe in time, I will be allowed to regain my identity.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    steampunk_private_investigator_by_D.jpg
    Aaron Mitchell, Explorer Extraordinaire!

"Snakes? Why'd it have to be- Oh hey, there's a spellbook down there! Hold the torch, I'm going in!"

Appearance and Personality:
    Aaron wears the hat, trousers, and coat of the Vaspuccian wealthy, even though it has obviously been cleaned and repaired far more times than is normal. When exploring, Aaron has a leather and brass harness that he straps on over his coat. The harness is attached to more leather protective plates that attach to his arms and legs and have a network of copper wires running into a device on his back. Above the brim of his top-hat are wrapped a pair of clockwork goggles with brilliant green lenses, and when his cloak billows around him you can see thousands of little pockets on the inside, some of which bulge around hidden items. He is almost always happy, especially so after a good dig and even more so if he has discovered some sort of link to the arcane magic that's failing around him.

Aaron is inquisitive to no end and will gladly work all night to discover some new magical artifact or scientific truth. His curiosity commonly gets him in trouble though, and his youth spent among the wealthy and noble alike learning to read people has come in handy more often than he cares to admit. He accepts that most people don't care for the arcane ways, and therefore usually leaves out the magical portion of his studies when he can, but nothing makes him happier than finding someone in whom he can confide his love of magic.

Background:
    Born the second son of a well-connected businessman in Vaspuccia, Aaron knew he wouldn't inherit his father's fortune and therefore applied his intellect towards discovering the wonders of the Dwvemer technology for which his city was known. His dedication to learning the science of the clockwork technology was unsurpassed, however he was too clumsy to ever be truly good at building Vaspuccian wonders. He would, every once in a while, invent a device scholars had thought impossible, but whenever another person would attempt to use his creation it would fail. This wouldn't be explained until many years later. For years, he continued his studies, never managing to build a working model. When he was finally explicitly forbidden entrance to the Science Academy, his spirit broke. He attempted to work in his father's business for a few months, but he eventually decided he had to leave.

This decision was made while handling a transaction for his father involving some artifacts being sold by a local explorer's group. One piece in particular, an extremely old book, drew his notice immediately, but it wasn't until later that night that he was able to explain why. Reading through the book, he decided the Vaspuccian Scientists had it all wrong. Magic and science weren't seperate, they weren't mutually exclusive. In fact, he was both disturbed and elated to notice, he had been subconsciously incorporating magic into his clockwork devices as a youth. Taking this knowledge to his father, he begged to be able to leave and explore the world and his new ideas. Almost three years ago to the day, Aaron left Vaspuccia and he hasn't regretted the decision once. In his travels, he has encountered far worse than he had previously expected existed, but between his knowledge and his magic, he hasn't gotten into a scrape he couldn't get out of.

Situation:
    The cold winter wind bit hard as it howled down the walls of Dronomer. The snow crunches under your feet. You had tracked the murderer all the way to Kursk. He had to be here. The noble that hired you had told you he was dangerous, a crazy peasant who had murdered the noble's son right in front of him and then two guards who tried to stop him. He had fled north and you chased. For miles upon miles, you had chased him. Finally, he was cornered. He had to be. There was no where else to run. The snow swirled around you and the cold nipped at you. You spied a figure against the wall, limping. You clutched the weapon tighter, the wound you had dealt him earlier had taken its toll. A thin smattering of blood was here and there on the white snow. You drew closer to him and he finally stopped his hobble and slowly turned to you, throwing up his arms.

"I can't do this anymore, I can't. I can't go on, I'm tired, I'm worn out from this. I'm done. I've done the deed I needed to do. That... that swine took my home from me. He took it away from me and he paid what he did. They say its their right, that they get to pick but I killed him anyways. I killed them and I would kill them again if I could." He sank to his knees in the snow. "Do it. I am not going on. Do what it is that needs to be done. Let me pay for the sins." A tear rolled down his cheek. "Do it."

"Oh, of course I'm not going to kill you, that's just pointless. I have however, been paid to 'take care' of you. So what we're going to do is this, you're going to go..."

Aaron pauses a second, and looks around. Behind him lay the direction of the noble's lands, ahead mostly wilderness.

"You're going to go that way," he says, pointing off into the wild, "and not come back. What that noble did was wrong but you are no different. I feel pity for your loss, we are all losing things we love, but you need to leave. Try going to... hmm... You know what, I'm not going to kill you, but you really screwed this up for yourself, sorry."

The wizard then turns and heads back to town, wiping the blood off his dagger with a handkerchief then folding it and placing it back in his cloak to give the noble as proof.

Delmain on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm... I have a wizard written up, and a background, but it's just not written up yet. Do you know when you will be closing this weekend, so that I know when it would need to be written up by? Been just a little to busy to get it written up.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scenario

Karamir sighs as he stands in front of the exhausted peasant. "what would my god ask of me" he thinks to himself. Unable to take the role of judge from the god he holds dear, Karamir decides.

"Flee peasant.. you have already lost your home, friends, and what you would hold dear. You are now also wanted by a noble. I will not be your executioner though, let your god judge your actions when you pass". Knowing the peasant will not return where he will be hunted, Karamir considers his job done. "As far as these nobles think, a peasant they don't see is a peasant who doesn't exist" he mutters to himself and walks away.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vondaal Odain

Background:
    "...so you see, that is when I decided to leave. The military was never really for me, and becoming a fighter wasn't my lot in life." He had never been near a military academy. "So then I decided to venture into the wild, and that was where I found my true calling." Also a lie. As Vondaal finished telling his story, the men around him in the small bar had no idea he had told them nothing but lies. He joked, they laughed, he told them his story, they listened, but they didn't suspect.

Vondaal was good at lying. But one of his kind had to be. They couldn't suspect. He couldn't afford suspision. That would only bring trouble, and he had worked hard to keep his secrets hidden. They could never know he had spent his childhood years in Cyr, learning the ways so many in Tamara feared. Unrationally feared, was how he viewed it. They would never understand why he was drawn to the power so quickly fading from their world. But he could never try to make them.

Though he would never call Cyr his "home", he had spent his younger years there, training. He had a certain respect for his masters while at the Academy, but nothing more. Not really knowing how he got there, he looked out more for himself than anything else. He sought out the teachers when he needed knowledge, but not for the advice and worldliness they so often tried to drown him in. He spent his time learning, sometimes more than he should, even venturing into magics from other classes, not wanting to be restrained by his teachers. He learned to cover his tracks, learned to lie. And then he left.

Out into the world, he fine-crafted his trade, even where it wasn't allowed. The knowledge he gained served him well. Helped him hide among those who would destroy him. Sometimes he even managed to make friends. Well, what normal people would call friends. To him they were... something less. Connections. People he could make use of. The relationships never lasted long. Always on the move. He started building a reputation by working for the local higher ups. Small jobs here and there kept him fed, and out of suspicion.

And that's how it was.

They could never know.

Personality:
    Vondaal is nearly a compulsive liar, unless around those who share his gift. Ultra protective of his real identity, and generally very nice on the outside. On the inside Vondaal is... scheming. He sees all of his outs, should he need to take them. He is good at blending in with the people around, adopting regional dialects and other customs quickly, not wanting to be found out. His voice is cool and calm, and almost never wavers.

Response:

Why do they always run? Vondaal thought, trudging through the snow after the fugitive. Didn't he know that people like me always catch up? He did, Vondaal always caught up. He couldn't afford to fail people like nobles.

Walking up to the old man, Vondaal listens to his story, almost feeling sorry. "I realize the hurt they put on you, but you must understand," Vondaal starts, his voice his own now, not having to pretend. He starts to pace back and forward in front of the man, "What you did, murder and all that, is wrong. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of killing, but you know, I can't let you go back to alive. I've already risked too much, and you already know what I can do," he continues, his eyes drifting down to the wound. He brings his eyes back up to the mans, but not before looking around for others, "But I can allow you the benefit of dying quick. Sorry." He voice was cold as the man tried to bat away the imaginary bolt, and then dropped to the ground.

And that's that. Nasty stuff, but a man needs to eat.

Note: I still have 1000g to spend on random crap, but I'll do that if chosen.

Sorry for competing with you Delmain, but it had to be done!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • KilmKilm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Comighan Immory Half-Elf Sorcerer

Just need to add items and clean it up.

Got the items, 3 magic ones sound about right?

Kilm on
  • heysparkyheysparky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Howdy! I was looking for a new PbP game and after reading the excellent background materials and the character submissions I knew I needed to make a grab at a slot here.

I don't see any specific callout of the items and monies these 6th Level PCs should have. Can someone link a reference or spell it out for me?

heysparky on
    edited September 2009
    For know, it's standard array of items + 1000gp as long as people don't grab too "Magic-licious" items. We may swap to a low-magic item ruleset later on. Also, I will probably be closing submissions here tonight, just a final warning to everyone.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Background:
    Second son in a noble family, Garret had few responsibilities growing up. Though quiet, his faith runs deep, and when he came of age he entered training to become a priest. His quick mind and charming nature served him well, and he became first disciple of the famed theoist Carda Burscini.

Garret was close to being invested as an avout when he changed his mind. A wanderlust took hold of him, and a routine life spent studying, preaching, and teaching, devoid of surprises, was not one Garret found himself able to accept. His teacher was saddened at the loss of his pupil, and never believed Garret's faith had survived his change of heart.

Now Garret wanders the world, and if he is dismayed that his skills on a stage are more highly prized than his skills at a pulpit, he shows little sign of it.

Hooks:
    • Connection to famous priest, former teacher, who could request a service of Garret or offer advice.
    • Noble brother Darrin resents the loss of the political support he expected Garret to provide as a respected priest

Personality:
    Charming and outgoing, Garret makes friends easily. Comfortable in his faith and his life, but not offended if friends choose to trod a different path. Mostly unaware of the problems in the world outside Pascony. Calm and slow to anger.

Scenario:

IC response:
    "You were upset that you had lost your home, so you killed three men?" Garret asks, softly. "Three men who had nothing to do with your loss? And you would kill them again? May the Eternal have mercy on you, brother." Garret looses his bolt with a click, and begins preparing the body for transport back to the civilized world.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • fe1dmanfe1dman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tenexaphion Racer Model Prototype, Warforged Ranger (Beast Mastery)

Background
    Tenexaphion was built by the great human engineers of Vaspuccia as prototype clockwork kayak racer. However, the heavy weight of the artificial proved to be a problem that sheer rowing prowess could not solve. The kayak would sink too deeply into the water to allow for proper tracking and often capsized due to the top-heavy load. His inventors, the Tortenolli brothers, gave up on the prototype and began to build smaller lighter clockwork racers. As their shop began to fill up with small lightweight prototypes, the brothers decided to clear some space and sold Tenexaphion to a halfling river trader named Gullivert Oman.

Gullivert tried several different techniques to utilize Tenexaphion's rowing ability. At one point he'd set up a pedal and gear system and had Tenexaphion hand pedal his small tradebarge up and down the trade canals. Eventually he resorted back to the old fashion method and gave Tenexaphion an oversized kayak paddles, deciding the ability to make sharper turns in the crowded canals was more important than a slight boost in straight line speed. With the untiring Tenexaphion powering his boats, he was able to reduce his crew size and save on overhead costs.

Then came the day when Gullivert and his company were boarded by pirates looking to seize his inventory. Gullivert's crew were quickly overcome and thrown overboard by the rackish thugs. It was at this time that Gullivert had an epiphany. He removed the paddles from Tenexaphion and replaced it with a double-sword he'd bartered in the previous port. Tenexaphion moved forward, deftly rotating the sharp edges in a circular motion with the speed and accuracy he was built for. The pirates fired a few shots at the clockwork windmill of blades then decided it wasnt worth losing life or limb over and fled. With that Tenexaphion became boat-rower/bodyguard to Gullivert. While business lasted Tenexaphion would accompany Gullivert in his travels, keeping close watch on his owner and his goods. But as the economy waxed and waned, Gullivert eventually went bankrupt. Hard up for money, he sold Tenexaphion to a local loan shark named Vinny Rae.

Vinny employed Tenexaphion at first as his bodyguard, but as he came to trust in Tenexaphion's ability and loyalty, Tenexaphion would travel alone to collect from debtors. Vinny, being a man of taste, dressed Tenexaphion in furs and a bowler hat. Vinny even bought Tenexaphion a pet, believing a clockork man with a pet would be more endearing to his debtors more than the unrelenting automaton brute. Eventually Tenexaphion's effectiveness at collecting annoyed the local underworld and Vinny was disposed of. Tenexaphion was then fenced, sold, resold, stored in a dusty shed, and finally auctioned off (to one of the fellow adventurers or the party no less).

Appearance and Personality
    What stands before you is a thin plated clockwork man. His back is slouched to reduce aerodynamic drag and his arms are slightly longer than normal anatomic proportion. He wears a bowler cap, a monocle, and a fur cloak. Under the layers of dust appear to be an intricate juxtaposition of cable, leather hide, and gears.

Constantly shifting between the empty backpack and Tenexaphion's shoulders is a large exotic spider, most likely taken from elven woods.

Tenexaphion has an innate curiousity and follows most order without question, unless the orders are unclear at which point, Tenexaphion will innundate you with questions regarding the specifics of the operation in question. While he has some inbuilt self-preservation, he has a coded loyalty to guard and protect his owner no matter the cost. Since adopting the spider given to him by Vinny Rae, Tenexaphion has displayed more and more signs of free-will, choosing his own path and actions to safeguard the spider's well being while still completing his tasks. Having lived a secondary life in the rough-and-tumble world of debt collection; the spider Tachi, has taken a hit once or twice herself. Tenexaphion has since braced her limbs with fine coils of metal and reinforced her ability to survive falls (it happens more than Tenexaphion would like to report) with springs. Can artificials truly feel love? Watching Tenexaphion and his watchful guardianship of his near clockwork pet spider Tachi, one would say yes.

Build
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Tenexaphion, level 6
    Warforged, Ranger
    Fighting Style: Beast Mastery
    Beast Companion Type: Spider
    Background: Occupation - Hunter (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 19, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 21 Fort: 18 Reflex: 17 Will: 16
    HP: 49 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Dungeoneering +10, Perception +12, Stealth +10, Athletics +11, Endurance +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +5, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Heal +7, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +5, Nature +5, Religion +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
    Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Double sword)
    Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
    Level 6: Quick Draw

POWERS
    Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
    Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
    Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
    Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
    Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
    Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
    Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
    Ranger utility 6: Serpentine Dodge

ITEMS
    Inescapable Double sword +1, Backpack (empty), Climber's Kit, Breaching Hide Armor +1, Delver's Light (heroic tier), Goggles of Aura Sight (heroic tier), Rope, Silk (50 ft.) (2)
    RITUALS
    Raise Beast Companion
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

IC Response

"Hmmzt. It would seem that is beyond the point." Tenexaphion cocked his head. "Tachi needs some new more brass to complete her carapace design. And the noble has paid me."

The peasant's face became a pale mask of shock at the artificial's reply. Tenexaphion tilted his gaze up, above the man's head. "What's that Tachi? Spare him?"

The spider had been moving along the wall and was now poised above the man's head. "Yes yes spare me!" the man pleaded.

"Hmmzt, nonsense Tachi. His fate is fair." Tenexaphion turned and addressed the man "You should have stolen the noble's home as a repayment for the grief he caused you. However, you choose to take life, a more severe regression than property theft. An eye for an eye, as they say." Tenexaphion ended with a nod.

The spider and the clockwork artificial become a blur of movement, white snow kicked up in a cloud of powder, as the duo strike a mortal blow. As the man slumps to the floor, Tachi takes hold of the man's neck drinking deeply. "Good Tachi, we dont want frozen blood on us. Finish up and lets get him back to collect the payment."

fe1dman on
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Solvonos Sarielastra

Background
    Solvonos spent the early years of his life within a pillowhouse located in Nuemar. He lived an extravagant and privileged life due to the wealth his mother brought in for her sought after paintings. No one truly knew who the father of Solvonos was since he was conceived at one of the many orgies his mother frequented, and that he too eventually came to frequent as he grew older. Solvonos spent money on sex, drugs and alcohol without a thought. However no matter what activities he spent his mothers money on he found that he was growing more and more bored with these activities. Yes they were fun and enjoyable, but there was no thrill.

However that all changed when he was attending a party and overheard two slaves talking in private about attending a ceremony called “The Blooding.” With his interest piqued he threatened the slaves with beatings for the rest of their lives of servitude, he managed to get a time and location to go to. At the allocated time, he went to the location which was an entrance to a basement underneath a simple clothing shop. Solvonos was ushered inside and was disappointed to have found himself in what looked like a regular opium den. However that changed when he was handed a key and a dagger then directed to a wall covered in doors. After a few attempts he found the door his key was assigned to and he stepped within. He found himself in a small room with a table, a drain under the table and occupied by two people. One was a large half-orc in fine clothing standing by the table, the other was a naked elven woman tied to the table. The half-orc approached Solvonos and informed him that since it was the eladrins first time here the half-orcs presence was required. Looking at the dagger in Solvonos’ hand the half-orc smiled and suggested that it’s usually best if the new guys make it quick. Realization finally dawned on Solvonos and he knew that this half orc was not going to leave the room until there was a dead body in there. With hesitant motions Solvonos approached the woman on the table and plunged the dagger into her heart.

The feeling Solvonos experienced at that moment was unlike any he had ever felt. The feeling of the blade piercing flesh, the sound as the woman gasped in pain, the sight of the blood pooling out of her wound. It was better than any drug he had ever taken. He had found a new drug and he was hooked after the first taste. Solvonos become a frequent visitor of the establishment and spent whatever money he could to satisfy his cravings. This all changed though when he was in the room once again, this time with the daughter of a dwarf who frequently harassed the clientele of the opium dens and pillowhouses that Solvonos visited. Before he was able to kill the dwarf he heard loud noises and screams from the main room. He opened the door to see a battle between the regulars there and a group of hooded men clad in all black. Before he could react one of the hooded men turned towards Solvonos and pointed at him, the Eladrin felt nauseous and fell to the ground. The last thing he remembered was vomiting and blacking out.

Solvonos woke up within a pitch black room and felt like he was tied to a table. Horrible images of a family member of a victim of his exacting his revenge on Solvonos raced through his mind. That’s when the voice spoke. It told him that he should have been killed, but a person of importance felt something special within the youth. So an offer was to be presented to him. He would be trained not only how to be a more efficient killer, but also how to properly control his urges and to kill only those who truly deserved death. In exchange he must follow the rules of the guild and obey any order given to him by a superior. Fearing that if he was let go and put back into the world he would not be able to control his urges and it would eventually lead to a premature death for him, Solvonos agreed.

Over the next decade Solvonos trained as a warrior, using the power of the shadows around him and learning how to properly draw upon the energies from the Nethervales. Finally his training was complete and he was sent back out into the world ready to be a bringer of justice by channeling his urges towards righteousness.

Personality and Mannerisims
    Solvonos is like most Eladrin where he enjoys lifes pleasures of the body and mind. He is wary of wild elves and dwarves due to his life growing up amongst other Eladrin and as such the racial prejudices were installed within him. However his training within the Nethervals taught him the discipline to better judge the person by their actions not their race. He usually comes off as care free since he tends to believe that people focus on too many stressful things in their lives which just cause more grief for them.

Solvonos enjoys taking drugs recreationally, unless he’s on a job of course, but is only addicted to one thing. Killing. His training has helped him control his urges and taught him to channel those desires towards being an efficient killer of those who deserve death.
    When someone greatly agitates him, but does not deserve to die, Solvonos usually mentally chants a mantra of self control and tries to ignore the person causing him grief.

Whenever he does kill someone he dabs a white cloth in the blood of the person he’s slain. Whenever a cloth becomes covered in enough blood that no white is left on it, he takes it to his small room at the guild headquarters where he sews it to the other clothes he had brought there over the years.

Appearance
    Solvonos is rather plain looking by Eladrin standards but still attractive to other races, especially humans. He has piercing green eyes, and long white hair which he keeps tied back. He’s of average height for an Eladrin and looks to be in good excellent physical shape. When he moves it is with a sense of grace and dignity that only the Eladrin are able to master.

He usually wears dark clothing, usually deep purples, crimson reds, and midnight blues. He wears a setting of leather armor dyed black and carries with him an impressive greatspear. Solvonos does his best to keep his clothes as clean and in excellent condition as possible; if even a glove is so dirty that it cannot be cleaned he would immediately go out and buy a new set, making sure it matches his outfit.

Reaction
    Solvonos listened to the man speak. It made no difference what the fool said, he was going to die but everyman deserved to speak his final words to his killer. He rested his spear along his shoulders, his arms draped over them.

When the man finished Solvonos smiled. “Are you done? Good. Now it is my turn. You broke the law little man. Whether or not what my employer did to you was wrong, is not up to me at this point in time. If his time is to come it will come. But right now it is your time for instead of trying to kill the man in question you killed his son, who had nothing to do with the situation.”

In one smooth motion Solvonos took a step forward while spinning his spear off his shoulders and planted the butt end of it in the ground. “Whats worse is you killed two men who were only doing their jobs. They had families, families that relied on them and now due to your actions they are without care.”

Solvonos took another step forward and was suddenly behind the man. With a smooth motion he plunged his spear through the back of the mans neck, the blade erupting out of the murderers throat in a crimson spray. Anyone who saw Solvonos at that moment would notice the look of complete satisfaction on his face. With a sigh of relief the Eladrin reached into his pouch and bullet out a cloth stained so red that there were few spots of white left on it. Finding a clean spot on the cloth, he dabbed it on the mans neck absorbing the blood, once satisfied he rose to his feet and walked away from the corpse. He took a quick whiff of the cloth before placing it back into his pouch.

lodwilk on
    edited September 2009
    Caden Bollardtoggle... Merchant, Explorer, Devout

Background
    Caden kissed the token of Devout Linus as he tripped down the crushed gravel walk towards the farmhouse below. The walk had cleared his head and he was ready to face her. He had her answer.

Marget was a force. Beautiful, demanding and shrewd, the pride of the Oman family and a rising star in House Verdicci. Many looked to her for the restoration of the House's name as a force within the Peninsula Trading Company. Before she'd been born, the Verdicci had lost their seat on the Trade Council. Within two years of coming into her inheritance (under suspicious circumstances) she had twisted, cajoled, flirted and bribed House elders into adopting several of her policies and believed she was close to restoring the House's lost Seat.

One of her moderately successful ventures had been the creation of the Exploration and Acquisitions Bureau, of which Caden was a founding shareholder and Field Agent.

It had really been his idea, but he was glad to let her claim the credit. She craved it. And he didn't care for the responsibilities associated with brilliance. And so they went, he adventured and she claimed credit. It worked after a fashion. But despite these accommodating arrangements, their marriage is a rocky one. Due in no small part to his long absences, but also her suspicious nature. She was quite certain of his infidelity. He could only cite his undying devotion to her and to his patron Devout, Linus. Their reunions were enthusiastically fruitful and it seemed there was a new child in the house every time he returned home. Some of them he even liked.

When he'd arrived home this last time, Marget had been... different. He wasn't sure why. They'd never been very good at talking things out. She'd been cold and distant. They'd argued and he'd left, slamming the heavy wooden door behind him, the loud crack shivering in the air right alongside her ultimatum.

He'd taken a long walk along the ridge above the house overlooking the valley. He'd prayed for guidance. He whistled as he trotted down the steep path closer and closer to the quiet farmhouse. He had her answer. Oh boy, did he have it.
    Appearance
    Caden has an open face, with broad friendly features and bright, cheery eyes that endear halflingkind to the other races. He is sturdily built, almost dwarfish, and has a voice deeper and more carrying than his still-small frame would suggest. He is always clothed in fine and fashionable clothes in styles and cuts that accentuate his wiry body. The clothes do make the man.

An old caravan guard and onetime driver, he keeps a whip at his side, having developed a liking for its flair and its utility. A slim curved rapier sits opposite the coiled whip.
    Mannerisms
    When nervous he paces, or if pacing isn't an option, he fidgets.
    When happy he sings or hums.
    When scared he whistles.
    When bored he examines his surroundings in minute detail attempting to notice something new.
    When angry he grows very still and calm.
    Character Sheet
    Caden Bollardtoggle, level 6
    Halfling, Warlord
    Build: Inspiring Warlord
    Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence
    Background: Occupation - Merchant, Caravan Scout, Family Tradition (+2 to Diplomacy)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 17, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
    HP: 47 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate +11, Endurance +7, Diplomacy +13, History +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +6, Arcana +4, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, Insight +3, Nature +3, Perception +5, Religion +4, Stealth +4, Streetwise +6, Thievery +6, Athletics +6

FEATS
    Level 1: Linguist
    Level 2: Defensive Mobility
    Level 4: Whip Training
    Level 6: Alertness

POWERS
    Warlord at-will 1: Furious Smash
    Warlord at-will 1: Rousing Assault
    Warlord encounter 1: Guarding Attack
    Warlord daily 1: Bastion of Defense
    Warlord utility 2: Inspired Belligerence
    Warlord encounter 3: Warlord's Strike
    Warlord daily 5: Stand the Fallen
    Warlord utility 6: Inspiring Reaction

ITEMS
    Imposter's Finemail +2, Aftershock Whip +2, Bag of Holding (heroic tier), Light Shield, Scimitar, Dagger (2)
    Response
    The grim-faced halfling shuffled to a halt and bent at the waist, hands on his knees. His breath came in panting clouds, the cold air made his teeth and chest ache. The pitiful peasant backed against the wall, his face a rictus of pain and exhaustion. And fear. Caden stood and stretched his tight muscles, wincing at the stictch in his side. He wasn't made for this kind of weather. He squinted at the mewling wretch, his feet were wrapped in tattered cloth, scant protection against the cold and the snows. Skin, blue with cold, showed here and there through the man's clothes.

Caden shook his head.

---

A few days prior he had stood in Lord Yithrim's hall while the noble had raged and grieved over the loss of his son, pacing up and down and up and down, face alternately bright and dark bright and dark in the flickering firelight. The noble had struck at the air and torn his hair, spilling a goblet of wine on a fine Marathi rug. Caden had simply waited in polite silence, noting details of the finely appointed room.

Caden had been assigned the odious task of negotiating the next seasons fur shipments from Kursk. The weather in that heathen country was never hospitable and despite assurances from his caravan driver that they'd been 'lucky to hit a rare warm spell.' Caden had never been so cold. He was not in the best of tempers when he entered the Lord's manor.

The chief funnel of Kurskian pelts was Lord Yithrim. He was known for his miserly ways and shrewd negotiations. But Caden had found him disheveled and grief-stricken. Siezing on his opponent's weakness, Caden offered to leave the Lord to his grief and go negotiate with the hunting outfits themselves.

The grieving Lord had straightened suddenly, smoothing his clothes and finger-combing his hair. The murderer had been a hunter, perhaps Caden would be so good as to dispatch the Lord's Justice. Caden cocked a brow and gingerly took the sack of gold offered bringing to mind what he knew of Kurskian justice and law. Not much. Feudal arrangement. Taxes. Protection. More taxes. He had set out, vowing Justice to the Gods, the True Gods - the Eternal, the Twins and the Devouts whose examples lit the darkness.

---

Caden looked down at the pathetic wretch and thought of the man's family and how they'd fare in this bitter cold with shelter denied them.

"Tell me, how did it come to pass that your home was taken? Speak quickly, it is cold and I've no wish to linger."
    Items
    Imposter's Finemail +2, Bag of Holding
    The tinker-tailor had described the process in detail, something about 'space within space' and 'universes within universes' and even more about identifying fault lines between the multitudinous worlds and aligning them achieve a concordant resonanace and still more about... Caden left the shop with a splitting headache and many platinum poorer, but the suit of glittering mail and the strangely voluminous belt pouch were all that the tinker had promised. He'd yet to encounter any of the 'alignment malfunctions' that the tinker had warned him about, but was still somewhat wary that he'd suffer one too far from Ricci to collar the tinker for a tune-up.

Aftershock Whip +2
    Caden's merchanting family went bankrupt after their Letter Patent for the graphite coating process that makes black power pellets resistant to accidental ignition by static energy ran out when he was still a young man. He and his family fell to menial jobs to pay their mounting debts. It was Caden's 'discovery' by a rising star in the Oman family of House Verdicci that brought his family onto somewhat firmer footing. While far from restored, the family now owns and operates a small bookmaking operation in one of the shabbier districts in Ricci. The Bollardtoggles are known for their firm fairness and for paying out early on bets that appear to be a sure thing. This has bitten them in the past, when upsets have occured, but the controversy only stirs more business as folk try to get the better of the Bollardtoggle Bookmakery.

The Bollardtoggles still have connections in the black powder world and Caden traded a debt owed them for his trusty Aftershock Whip (patent pending). The whip is fitted along its length with breakable capsules of dwarven powder. An especially well timed strike will burst a capsule with a thundrous bang and knockdown enemies nearby.

heysparky on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dammit, i cant compete with this level of submissions... stop making your PC's so cool everyone :P

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dammit, i cant compete with this level of submissions... stop making your PC's so cool everyone :P

No!

interrobang on
    edited September 2009
    Hey all, I am going to go ahead and close recruitment. I'll put up a list of accepted characters here in a moment. Some pretty tough choices here.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Ok, here is the casting list for the Legends of Novus! I pretty much loved everyone's character and wish I could run with all of you. However, if you didn't make it in, I encourage you to keep an eye on the thread. I usually always have a person or two drop due to time conflicts or other problems that crop up so those that already have had character ready for quick play will probably get scooped up as reserves.

Interrobang – Shreya Darchala, Eladrin Artificer
    Rainfall – Miss, Revenant Assassin
    Elfword – Thoth, Human Warden
    SimpsonParadox – Kavaki Yuthr, Goliath Barbarian
    Weretac0 - Karamir LastNameHere, Genasi Invoker
    Powerpuppies – Garret Andershard, Halfling Bard/Cleric
    Delmain – Aaron Mitchell, Human Wizard

While we probably won't start the actual adventure until tomorrow or even Monday night, I am going to try and get an IC thread up this afternoon so you guys can start all the handshaking and intros. Some things everyone needs to do right now:

1. Starting items. If you haven't already, get your starting items. We get standard allotment of gold plus starting items. Be warned, I might take away some of those items depending on how I like the low-magic item alternative rules in DMG2. As well, try to reflavor as many items into well-made/clockwork type of stuff.
    2. Please post how and why your character joined Wildlands Security, which is the name of the private venturing company you are all members of that was decided on by members in IRC, and what your secondary role is. This way we can look and see what exactly the party make-up is and get ideas rolling for player interactions.
    3. When I GM, I usually like to hear from players what they are looking for in this game. Go ahead and let me know what you want to do in this game (fight big bosses, explore more diplomacy roleplaying, cool settings for war, more exploration of open-ended gameplay, etc), what your goal is with your character (test out a new build, explore some new theme, develop personality, etc) and what would be the coolest thing you could get to do in the game (fight a freefalling battle from a plummeting airship, storm an underwater castle, take on the necromancer vampires in the Graveyard, lead the peasants of Swadia in revolt, etc).

My philosophy of GMing is always "players have shitloads of fun", so letting me know what "fun" is to you helps me structure cooler campaign arcs and encounters. This campaign is going to be pretty sandbox-y so giving me as many hooks and ideas with your characters, themes you'd like to see and cool roleplaying ideas you'd like to try will give me as much ammo to work with as possible. This should (hopefully) lead to an infinitely better game. I'm taking off for another shift with the police department in a few but it's a short shift (new officers are doing a first aid class and I gotta be there to cover) and when I get back I'll start working on getting us an IC thread.

Welcome aboard peeps, this should be awesome!

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Awwwww. :( Tough luck. Enjoy the game, guys, and I'll be ready should a reserve be needed.

tzeentchling on
    edited September 2009
    Yea, once again, we had fucking fantastic submissions. Seriously, these were some of the best characters I have seen in my many years of GMing. It was depressing not being able to choose everyone. I'll take a list of reserve players out of the characters already submitted, if people would like, that I can quickly plug in should we lose someone.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Aw nuts. Have fun guys.

EDIT: Please do put Caden on the list.

heysparky on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plug me in. I love the campaign settings. If you need me, just PM me. Good luck guys.

samurai6966 on
    edited September 2009
    If possible, I'd like to stay out of long extended dungeon drags, because those are boring. Combat is fun, though. Especially the more awesome combat gets, the more fun it is.

Obviously I'd like to engage in at least a little bit of politicking, since Miss is trying to track down the elusive Fraternity and kill them all in gory fashion. So that's a big thing for her, hunting down her former friends, especially the five who betrayed her in the first place.

As for why Miss would join an adventuring company, it's simple. It's employment, it keeps her travelling, and she moves to hotspots where members of the Fraternity are going to be. Her skills are unquestionably useful and deadly, so she wouldn't have a problem getting in or proving herself. Provided other members of Wildlands aren't concerned with her slightly outlandish and unsettling appearance, there should be no issue with her being in the group.

Rainfall on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll second the dislike of extended dungeon romps. I'd like for some RPing mixed in with checks (Not mutually exclusive with skill checks, of course.) However, I am a Barbarian, so hitting things is always something I'm interested in.

Kavaki would join an adventuring group for two reasons. A, to keep moving so that slavers can't find him and return him, and B, to see the world in all of its glory/to read all of its books. To Kavaki, every natural wonder is a monument to the Great Spirits (And another opportunity for a Turtles All The Way Down joke in OOC chat.) He believes that, as someone who inhabits this world, it is his job to see each and every one of these monuments and to give praise to the spirits there. The book thing is sort of self explanatory =D

-edit- Oh yeah. My goals. As stated in IRC, I wish to throw a Dwarf. I don't care into what. I just wish to pick up a dwarf and make a strength roll so I may use him as a thrown weapon. That is all.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Congrats to those who made it in. Also you can put Solvonos on the reserves list.

lodwilk on
    edited September 2009
    Say, Talon, is that campaign doc all you? It's boss. Nice job.

heysparky on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks sparky. I just slapped it together, I am working on right now a Player's Guide for this game with actual formatting. I used to be a media manager for a University office before I jumped over to the police, so used a lot of InDesign tricks :P.

One thing I forgot to mention to all players: I need lists of availability. This is when you can both do posts and IRC times, as I'd like to try and do an IRC meet-up every once in a while for combat. I am pretty busy and probably won't be able to do too many sessions but I'd like to try hit one every now and then. For posting, I'd like to get a post from everyone at LEAST once a day. More is preferable.

For the reserves, I'm putting up a standby list as well and I'll be contacting you for drop-outs depending on what we need.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    My availability is pretty wild. I'm on MDT time right now, and you'll not be able to get me on Friday, Saturday, and Monday nights/evenings. Other than that, I may or may not be on depending on schedule.

Rainfall on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Weekdays are bad juju for me, especially as finals week creeps closer and closer. However, anytime past 7ish until 11ish is good on weekdays (Except Friday, which is entirely closed off) and pretty much any time on weekends so long as its set up before hand should be good.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited September 2009
    If I get called up from the reserves:

Timezone: PST, (GMT -8)

With enough notice, I should be able to make myself available for an IRC session.

EDIT: Talon, for the players guide, do call out the specific gear levels and gold amounts. I still haven't found where it's written or posted what starting gear and gold non-1st level characters get. :)

heysparky on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well balls. Ah well.

Keep me on the Reserves just in case. I'm at GMT-5 and can post pretty much all the time.

3cl1ps3 on