As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

• jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finished the main story today...

I guess it's a little more nonsensical than the last game.

Curious village ending:
    Surprise! Everybody's a robot, as this whole town was actually an elaborate setup to protect my daughter and my wealth.

Okay, rich guy with a lot of time on his hands... I can buy that.

Diabolical Box ending:
    Surprise! I'm a vampire! Oh, wait, no I'm not. You've all been tripping balls since you got here and none of this is real.

...wat
    D:

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well considering what the next game involves, I think we can throw realism out the window soon.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Oh man.

Puzzle 118 is hard

Which one was that again?

I'm still working on 153. I haven't put a lot of time into it, because it just frustrates the hell out of me.

I think that was the sliding block puzzle from the trash pile. Other ones have irritated me, but that one had a special place.

Almost finished the game. Should do so this weekend :)

Jragghen on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that was the sliding block puzzle from the trash pile. Other ones have irritated me, but that one had a special place.

Not quite...
    It's the last bonus puzzle...
    ...which is also a sliding block puzzle. The worst sliding block puzzle ever conceived. It still gives me nightmares.

Billmaan on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't own any of the games, but I thought I'd jump in and mention that my Intro to Fiction professor at uni this year is named K. Layton. Yup. Professor Layton.

Maybe when he starts class next week I'll say "I haff twelve matchsteek"

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited September 2009
    Billmaan wrote: »

Not quite...
    ...which is also a sliding block puzzle. The worst sliding block puzzle ever conceived. It still gives me nightmares.

No, I meant 118. The one I was complaining about :P

Jragghen on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I still haven't finished the last bonus puzzle yet. I suspect I may never at this rate.

Houn on
    edited September 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    I don't own any of the games, but I thought I'd jump in and mention that my Intro to Fiction professor at uni this year is named K. Layton. Yup. Professor Layton.

No, just awit until he calls on you for a question, then say "that reminds me of this puzzle..." and launch itno a tangentially related puzzle without answering his question.

Jragghen on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Billmaan wrote: »

Not quite...

No, I meant 118. The one I was complaining about :P

Oh, duh. Evidently I can't read today.

I ended up cheating my way through both, using the solver linked earlier in this thread. All of the documentation is in Japanese, but that's okay; that just means figuring out how to use it is a puzzle in itself.

Billmaan on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That is fucking awesome. I would have him autograph my copy!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I had one of them I would :P

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No, just awit until he calls on you for a question, then say "that reminds me of this puzzle..." and launch itno a tangentially related puzzle without answering his question.

This. Do this.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

This. Do this.

And then say "Ohhh! Professah!" in a cockney Luke accent.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I have no idea how to use that slider puzzle solver, because Layton uses a lot of puzzles with weird shapes.

edit: He's an intro to fiction professor. You simply must introduce him to the Layton games.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man.

Puzzle 118 is hard

Which one was that again?

I'm still working on 153. I haven't put a lot of time into it, because it just frustrates the hell out of me.

Oh hells yeah. Until I hit the last bonus puzzle (153) that one was the reigning champion of frustration.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited September 2009
    So, I put in the password in my Diabolical Box one into my Curious Village game, and it said it was an invalid password.

What the hell?

Jragghen on
    edited September 2009
    Isn't the password for the next game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited September 2009
    Isn't the password for the next game?

Don't think so. There was no password in the first one for this one. There was a password about St. Mystere in this one, and a spot for a password from the NEXT game to open one in this one.

Jragghen on
    edited September 2009
    So, I put in the password in my Diabolical Box one into my Curious Village game, and it said it was an invalid password.

What the hell?

Are you running both games on the same DS?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jesus, i bought this for my wife last week and she's already put like 18 hours into it, addiction!

edit - wait we have the first one as well and my wife beat it, was she supposed to get a password to put into this new one or something?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    jesus, i bought this for my wife last week and she's already put like 18 hours into it, addiction!

edit - wait we have the first one as well and my wife beat it, was she supposed to get a password to put into this new one or something?
    2nd has a password for the 1st, you input the pass into the 1st and get another password from the 1st to the 2nd.

Lux782 on
    edited September 2009

What the hell?

Oh, does it generate it based off of that?

I just pulled it up on a friend's DSi, since they're borrowing the first game from me.

Jragghen on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What the hell?

Oh, does it generate it based off of that?

I just pulled it up on a friend's DSi, since they're borrowing the first game from me.

Yes, the manual says you have to be using the same DS, since it's a unique password for everybody.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have no idea how to use that slider puzzle solver, because Layton uses a lot of puzzles with weird shapes.

edit: He's an intro to fiction professor. You simply must introduce him to the Layton games.

The left window is how the puzzle looks at its start, the right one is how it should look when it is solved. Draw the empty space with the black tiles, then copy it to the right window with the command in the menu. Draw each block in the left window with its own color. In the right window, draw the winning block where you need it to be, fill the rest of the space with question marks. They tell the program you don't care what's in those tiles and where the other blocks are. The rest is pretty easy.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »

2nd has a password for the 1st, you input the pass into the 1st and get another password from the 1st to the 2nd.

oh.. uhh. ok well i can do that! do you know where you go in the game to do this?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited September 2009
    Yes, the manual says you have to be using the same DS, since it's a unique password for everybody.

That's kind of ridiculous. It's sort of been a while since Layton 1 came out, and a new model of DS was released.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

That's kind of ridiculous. It's sort of been a while since Layton 1 came out, and a new model of DS was released.

It doesn't seem to matter what DS you used previously for Layton. Just put both games in your current DS and the passwords should match up. Although, if I ever meet the person responsible for the reward in Diabolical Box, I think I'll have to murder them on principle.
    Another sliding block puzzle? Really? Is there anyone, ever, who enjoys them?

At least it made the reward for the first game look a little less pathetic.

Cantide on
    edited September 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    Just put both games in your current DS and the passwords should match up.

But... but... the slot isn't big enough! :P

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

It doesn't seem to matter what DS you used previously for Layton. Just put both games in your current DS and the passwords should match up. Although, if I ever meet the person responsible for the reward in Diabolical Box, I think I'll have to murder them on principle.
    Another sliding block puzzle? Really? Is there anyone, ever, who enjoys them?

At least it made the reward for the first game look a little less pathetic.

There was a reward?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Concept art. Better than the 15 piece non-square "complete the picture" sliding puzzle in the second that has no reward.

Delzhand on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    RE: Certain characters and their roles:
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?
    I think that's sort of Don Paolo's thing. He shows up at random to match wits with Dr. Layton as his self proclaimed Nemesis.

He's basically The Monarch. Right down to Layton have no clue he even HAD a nemesis.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited September 2009
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?
    I think that's sort of Don Paolo's thing. He shows up at random to match wits with Dr. Layton as his self proclaimed Nemesis.

He's basically The Monarch. Right down to Layton have no clue he even HAD a nemesis.

Well, regarding that last bit...
    If the theme of the next game is time travel, then that would explain why Don Paolo hates Layton but Layton currently has no idea why.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited September 2009

Well, regarding that last bit...
    If the theme of the next game is time travel, then that would explain why Don Paolo hates Layton but Layton currently has no idea why.

That makes total sense, because I know that I had/have no idea who this Snidely Whiplash wannabe was and why he was trying to hurt me. It felt like I had jumped into an episode of a show midseries.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, fuck that Tiled Box puzzle. My solution was completely different from the one they said because I folded it differently. What the fuck was the spade supposed to be anyway? The top or the bottom of the cube? That was probably why I couldn't solve it, I had no idea what it was. Fuck that puzzle. The way I folded the cube with the spade as the bottom was the solution. Layton can't tell me differently.

Gilder on
    edited September 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Man, fuck that Tiled Box puzzle. My solution was completely different from the one they said because I folded it differently. What the fuck was the spade supposed to be anyway? The top or the bottom of the cube? That was probably why I couldn't solve it, I had no idea what it was. Fuck that puzzle. The way I folded the cube with the spade as the bottom was the solution. Layton can't tell me differently.

I can't wrap my head around unfolded cubes and hate it when the tip is "picture how it looks in your head!".

So I went to the next level. I traced the design out on paper, cut it out, and folded it into a cube. A little extreme, but it worked like a bloody charm.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can't wrap my head around unfolded cubes and hate it when the tip is "picture how it looks in your head!".

So I went to the next level. I traced the design out on paper, cut it out, and folded it into a cube. A little extreme, but it worked like a bloody charm.

Whenever I had one of those puzzles, I just got out a d6 and assigned symbols to numbers.

Cantide on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Whenever I had one of those puzzles, I just got out a d6 and assigned symbols to numbers.

Do you know why I love you all?

You said "d6"; not just "a die", or even "a dice".

<3

Houn on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah they're not my forte either. Then the game always ends with "Was it difficult to imagine the 2D shape in 3D?" Yes, actually. It really was. However I tried using a box and my solution worked perfectly, but only in the way I folded it. Apparently the game folded it differently or something and I think it assumed the spade was on the top. I assumed it was on the bottom so I had to turn it a lot.

Gilder on
    edited September 2009

Yeah they're not my forte either. Then the game always ends with "Was it difficult to imagine the 2D shape in 3D?" Yes, actually. It really was. However I tried using a box and my solution worked perfectly, but only in the way I folded it. Apparently the game folded it differently or something and I think it assumed the spade was on the top. I assumed it was on the bottom so I had to turn it a lot.

This is the one where you have to put all the symbols on, and rotate them in the proper direction, right? Because yeah, it was folded in the way it was drawn. There was a later die puzzle that was also similar, but the unfolded pattern was different and I had to cut a new one out.

The Wolfman on
    edited September 2009

Is that cheating? We discussed this earlier, but I always try to solve a puzzle with my mind and the memo board and that is it. I feel that anything else is sort of cheap.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png