As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CrimeCraft

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
I saw this at the store today. Didn't see any threads here about it ... FPS MMO?

Can anyone tell me anything about it, looks kinda interesting.

Crime Craft is a Persistent World Next-gen Shooter (PWNS) that blends a gripping, action-packed shooter experience with the best community and role-playing elements found in massively multi-player games. Crime Craft is set in a gritty fictional city of the near future, following an ecological disaster of unprecedented scale, where the price of life is far less valuable than one’s reputation. Join thousands of players online as you learn the rules of the street, build your own gang and do whatever it takes to survive amidst the chaos. Earn a reputation. Build a gang. Kill the competition.

http://www.crimecraft.com/

Bamelin on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-crimecraft/17-1281/

This video pretty much tells you everything you need to know about CrimeCraft.

Basically, that it's probably not something you want to play.

Dehumanized on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That video sums things up pretty well.

Why the hell would you pay fifty dollars for a game, then a monthly fee, then have to worry about micro-transactions, in a game that doesn't even compare in gameplay, or in population (The video listed the current number of players online as being 240, with only one server being hosted.) to normal shooters.

Nevermind the fact that the game only hosts 16 player instanced battles. There isn't even an actual gameworld. Hell, most A-list shooters offer a larger fight then that.

Archonex on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had not gone into bestbuy and seen the display for this I woulda thought it was a joke.

For starters, the obvious fact that they add -craft to it makes me see it as trying to appeal to the WoW audience, a cheap and low method to attract sales.

I see this game like I see those Chinese knockoff toys over at dollar stores, like super powered man, with Goku or wrong colored batman.

polloface on
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The forums of crimecraft really make me sad just reading them...

Fatgoat87 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The whole name of this game is insta-turn off for me the whole crimeCRAFT moniker makes me think they are trying to trick casual gamers who only play WoW into thinking this is some kind of modern day WoW game when the companies who make it are not even the same.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Failcraft wrote:
    Crime Craft is a Persistent World Next-gen Shooter (PWNS)
    You know the game must be awesome when the genre name they create to describe it has "PWNS" as its acronym.

forty on
    edited September 2009
    On the up side they dont label it as an MMO, which it isn't.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crime Craft is a Persistent Online Shooter (PoS) that blends an interesting, potentially action-packed shooter experience with several community and role-playing elements found in massively multi-player games. Crime Craft is set in a rather empty fictional city of the near future, following an economic disaster of unprecedented scale, where the price of life is far less valuable than one’s Ecko shirts. Join quite possibly dozens of players online as you complete the tutorial, add a gang name and do whatever it takes to survive amidst the other armed men in Ecko shirts and quite possibly hats. Earn shirts. Build meet a few people. Kill stuff sometimes.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited September 2009
    I like how in the video it says there were 240 people online in total in the entire game. So it's pretty much failed right out of the gate.

Elimination on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-crimecraft/17-1281/

This video pretty much tells you everything you need to know about CrimeCraft.

Basically, that it's probably not something you want to play.
    Great vid, best part is around at 17:20 when they try to figure out what to talk about :lol: and when Gersman(?) wonders why the game exists later on.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd pick this up for sure if it was $20-$30 without any monthly fees. The ginormous in-game advertisements make me angry as well.

Dr. Gero on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd say wait for APB... whenever that will be.

Aistan on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is horrible yet amazing at the same time. I played the beta for like a week and it's basically an arcade shooter where you go into an area have like 5 minutes to kill everything.

But the weird part is the fact that it takes place in like a post apocalyptic futuristic setting with nanotechnology and government run crime organizations and all sorts of ridiculous things. It's just indescribable how odd this game is.

Oh there is no actual crime in the game... Besides murder.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is horrible yet amazing at the same time. I played the beta for like a week and it's basically an arcade shooter where you go into an area have like 5 minutes to kill everything.

But the weird part is the fact that it takes place in like a post apocalyptic futuristic setting with nanotechnology and government run crime organizations and all sorts of ridiculous things. It's just indescribable how odd this game is.

Oh there is no actual crime in the game... Besides murder.

wait is that still illegal? Anyone have a shovel a van or truck and a hand truck i can borrow?

farbekrieg on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    a Persistent World Next-gen Shooter (PWNS)

jesus

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

jesus

Their marketing guy got paid... Alot.

Fatgoat87 on
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I saw the GB video when they posted it. Amazing. I love how they question why the game even exists. And yeah, PWNS... seriously? SERIOUSLY???

What demographic are they going for here exactly?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I saw the GB video when they posted it. Amazing. I love how they question why the game even exists. And yeah, PWNS... seriously? SERIOUSLY???

dudes who like shooting dudes but haven't heard of quake 3?

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2009

dudes who like shooting dudes but haven't heard of quake 3?

People who have enough money that they can literaly take it and set fire to it for no reason?

There are so many games better than this. Games that are free even.

Why would anyone pay $49 and then pay $10 a month for a game that looks basically like The Club but with a multiplayer hub and level ups that do nothing.It really does make you wonder why this game exsists.

Elimination on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like how in the video it says there were 240 people online in total in the entire game. So it's pretty much failed right out of the gate.
    I'd hate to be the (likely unemployed) project manager.

It's an idea that has potential. A MMO GTA could be fun (though maddening when people start crashing cars everywhere). But, it looks like either this one fell off the radar or never was on the radar in the first place and they're taking an absolute bath on it.

I looked at it for about a minute when it popped up on Steam a week or two ago and then figured there was nothing in it that would entertain me for more than 10 minutes... and frankly, I already own TF2, CoD, GTA, and Saint's Row if I just want to spend a few minutes blowing shit up.

If someone wants to create a persistent online shooter, the bar is already set pretty high with what people are expecting. If it's less than GTA, Crysis, Far Cry, Stalker, or CoD... people just aren't gonna bite. There's too many options out there in games (one-time purchase, for that matter) for pay-for-play shovelware to grab any following, even if you can get your 240-person extended family/neighborhood to sign up.

Frankly, I'd say to those folks who aren't already a substantial company with a ton of resources to put into making a complete game and marketing it, "don't even try." The economies of scale just aren't on your side and haven't been for several years now.
    Why would anyone pay $49 and then pay $10 a month for a game that looks basically like The Club but with a multiplayer hub and level ups that do nothing.It really does make you wonder why this game exsists.
    Maybe there's some video game version of the Uwe Boll tax break.

GungHo on
    edited September 2009
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »

jesus

Their marketing guy got paid... Alot.

A lot is two words!

Lucky Cynic on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I assumed it was a play on their idiot marketing guy. I mean it was bolded and all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    A MMO GTA could be fun (though maddening when people start crashing cars everywhere).
    You spelled "awesome" wrong.

forty on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought the stuff when they were actually fighting looked pretty good. :(

815165 on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    I thought the stuff when they were actually fighting looked pretty good. :(
    It's really not because what you see in that 5 minutes is the whole game. From start to finish it doesn't change. You get "new" guns and stuff but they all act exactly the same and the special weapons are far from amazing at changing the pace.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lawl:
    Giantbomb wrote:
    Well, let's mark this as a rumor for now, but I've heard from a couple of different places that Vogster Entertainment--the company behind games like CrimeCraft, Robocalypse, and Unbound Saga--closed the doors at all three of its offices yesterday.

Since then, a couple of Vogster employees from the Ukraine office have updated their social networking profiles to imply that they're looking for work. A few calls to the company's New Jersey and Chicago locations have gone unanswered. I'm waiting to hear back from the company's external PR representative to see if there's any official word on the matter, but at this point, it seems safe to say that the publisher is no more.

We'll have to wait and see how this impacts CrimeCraft, the online-only third-person shooter that Vogster launched on August 25.
    Source

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is quite the funny situation. (not that people lost their jobs, that sucks)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited September 2009
    I feel bad for the employees for sure, not only if they lose their jobs but having to work there in the first place.

Having been a programmer myself in the military, I definitely know the feeling of working day in and day out on a project you know isn't worthwhile, isn't up to par, and no one will really use. But you still have to slug through it to the end so that it can quietly be put on some commanders shelf and OPR.

It must have been brutal to have to work on a game(s) that you knew were terrible but you still had to do it. That sort of thing is pretty demoralizing.

The Dude With Herpes on

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hah you should have worked on the original P-23. You guys had that shit easy with actual programming code. We had to use Toolbook.

Bigity on
    edited September 2009
    man, i had to use toolbook for the entire rc-135 simulator. We had to have them damn near daily alter toolbook so we could make our fancy scripts work to get everything to automate how it did on the actual plane.

Mr. Finnegan deserved a medal of honor for some of that crap.

The Dude With Herpes on

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yea he was pretty dang good. P-23 was easy once we figured it out..writing the damn grading program for the gist/parses was a nightmare. Giving points based on how many words off in location a word was, or the context of the phrase even if they word was wrong...freaking horrible.

They still haven't fully switched to Flash-based training btw.

Bigity on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I saw this in Best Buy the other day...two shelves worth...and the naming did it's job: it made me pick up the box.

I immediately put it down and when I got home I showered...with bleach.

Shawnasee on
    edited September 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I saw this in Best Buy the other day...two shelves worth...and the naming did it's job: it made me pick up the box.

I immediately put it down and when I got home I showered...with bleach.

I am sorry for your lots

Lucky Cynic on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I've found the target audience for this game, a mutual friend who somehow got my AIM address a couple years back and I don't have the heart to tell to leave me alone. Plus, he can be amusing at times. His name is censored for privacy, but it has four X's in it and "420" at the end of it.

__________: decide to buy crimecraft
    Carniveau333: Oh god.
    Carniveau333: I am so, so sorry.
    Carniveau333: I hope you don't have trouble making that money back.
    __________: its an awesome game i don't know what your talking about
    __________: everyone got there own taste i games = /
    Carniveau333: It's a generic third person shooter, where you can't jump, and the crafting system serves little to no purpose, and you pay a monthly fee for it?
    __________: i got the first 2 months free
    __________: so basically it was like 20$
    Carniveau333: but
    Carniveau333: I mean
    Carniveau333: Why not a good shooter, that you know you can play 6 months from now?
    Carniveau333: Like
    Carniveau333: Do you own Quake 3?
    Carniveau333: That's better, and you could get it for $10
    __________: i have ut3
    __________: i don't know i really like the gameplay
    __________: played all day today
    __________: i can't care less about peoples opinions
    __________: already in a guild and everything

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you build it.

Morons will buy it.

TheCrumblyCracker on