As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fonts

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
I was flicking through some comics today and I'm wondering why nearly all comics seem to have exactly the same font. It's not a great font either; it's always slightly italicised and amateurish looking. Is there a historical reason for this font?

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was flicking through some comics today and I'm wondering why nearly all comics seem to have exactly the same font. It's not a great font either; it's always slightly italicised and amateurish looking. Is there a historical reason for this font?

In this last issue of Detective Comics when the perspective switched to Robin all of his inner monologue was in a different font.

Apparently Robin thinks in cursive.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In X-Factor, every one of Madrox's dupes has a slightly different font.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comicraft

I notice a lot say they use that.

yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Spirit 3 plays with font a lot- every character but one gets an inner monologue, and they're all different font styles.

Off the top of my head:
    Dolan's was a police manuscript.
    Ellen's was a diary IIRC.
    Spirit's was classic spirit.
    The crazy scientist had green bubbles I think.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Funny you mention that, I'm actually in the works of writing a research paper for my Sociolinguistics class about Fonts and word bubbles and how they express characters personality or the situation being presented. If you guys care at all, I'll let you know how it goes and what I've found out in a months time or so. However, I think most of the content will be blantantly obviously to anyone with half a brain, but interesting nonetheless.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think you've got a ludicrously simplified view of lettering in comics. Do yourself a favor and do not just flip through some comics if you feel the need to discuss the issue, especially when tossing out opinions that have such a clearly negative bias.

In the meantime, you can go read Sandman, Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, and The Spirit. You can also go look up the name Todd Klein.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does your paper cover Deadpool's yellow speech bubbles?

It should.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does your paper cover Deadpool's yellow speech bubbles?

It should.

off the top of my head, I think I'm going to use present-day venom, Reed Richards from 1602, a few examples of crazy blow up text a la Tony in CW7 "SPIDER-MAN!", an instance in Fantastic Four - where Sue's speech bubble turns into icicles, and Madrox dupes. After reading that comment about Robin thinking in cursive, I will probably go pick up the comic and put the in there as well. I'll probably give more examples, those are just the ones that come straight to mind.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm learning about fonts in my Technical Writing class. It's more about how different parts of fonts can help or hinder a reader, but I can see the philosophy behind font design applied to choosing particular fonts for different characters.

Me, I think it's always really keen when someone gets their own handwriting made into a font, like Jeff Smith did for BONE.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's a clear connection was sanity/emotional distress and speech bubbles. I mean basically all of our voices are relatively similar until we encounter a situation that requires infliction.

So thusly you see a lot of not so sane characters with varied fonts. Also, go read Sandman.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's a clear connection was sanity/emotional distress and speech bubbles. I mean basically all of our voices are relatively similar until we encounter a situation that requires infliction.

So thusly you see a lot of not so sane characters with varied fonts. Also, go read Sandman.

Delirium. :^:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    yeah, sandman was the first comic i read where i felt like the lettering was actually really contributing to the story

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Munch wrote: »

I think you've got a ludicrously simplified view of lettering in comics. Do yourself a favor and do not just flip through some comics if you feel the need to discuss the issue, especially when tossing out opinions that have such a clearly negative bias.

In the meantime, you can go read Sandman, Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, and The Spirit. You can also go look up the name Todd Klein.

I looked at Sandman today (bought it for someone else; I'll borrow it off them later) and it has exactly the same font. I was a little surprised since from what I've gathered Sandman is a little more.. upmarket than other comics, as it were. I'm not a great fan of comics, but I was curious about the origins of this font. It just seems to do comics a disservice to me - it makes them all seem very similar to the outsider. yourspaceholiday: ta for the link; all I could find when googling was damn comic sans.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I looked at Sandman today (bought it for someone else; I'll borrow it off them later) and it has exactly the same font. I was a little surprised since from what I've gathered Sandman is a little more.. upmarket than other comics, as it were. I'm not a great fan of comics, but I was curious about the origins of this font. It just seems to do comics a disservice to me - it makes them all seem very similar to the outsider. yourspaceholiday: ta for the link; all I could find when googling was damn comic sans.

well, no it doesn't. any time any of the endless are speaking, that's a different font. same with lucifer, and various other characters in the series that escape my memory at the moment. the actual lucifer series also has a number of different font styles.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think the average outsider even notices font unless it's particularly difficult to read, like Thor's Asgardian font.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »

well, no it doesn't. any time any of the endless are speaking, that's a different font. same with lucifer, and various other characters in the series that escape my memory at the moment. the actual lucifer series also has a number of different font styles.

Cool beans; didn't flick through too much since I didn't want to spoil anything. The standard font is still the standard comic font though. I like when they use different fonts for different characters (although it's annoying as hell in anime as subbers usually choose a totally unreadable font to be different).

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the 'standard' font is the way regular humans are supposed to sound. anything non-human (in those series, at least) has a different font.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    the 'standard' font is the way regular humans are supposed to sound. anything non-human (in those series, at least) has a different font.

And that somewhat explains why there is a standardized font for comic book characters, barring extranormal entities like Thor or the Endless. If I'm meant to read a character as having conventional human speech, then anything that causes me to consider their words unusual (such as a difference between their font and the standard font for human characters) will go against that goal.

Meanwhile, extranormal characters with weird manners of speech won't seem so weird when every character has their a unique font.

And of course, a change in font from character to character might get irritating.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, to the OP. You should make a big arguement about the majority of news papers being in the same font. Follow that by all message boards using standard fonts. Actually, the entire internet. Oh and the standard fonts in every book published after the printing press.

Tackle those first, then come back to comics.

Also INFLICTION can easily be detected when using standard fonts. I need to stop shooting down arguements today.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, to the OP. You should make a big argument about the majority of newspapers being in the same font. Follow that by all message boards using standard fonts. Actually, the entire internet. Oh and the standard fonts in every book published after the printing press.

Also INFLECTION can easily be detected when using standard fonts. I need to stop shooting down arguements today.

fix'd. I think.

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    redfenix wrote: »
    Well, to the OP. You should make a big argument about the majority of newspapers being in the same font. Follow that by all message boards using standard fonts. Actually, the entire internet. Oh and the standard fonts in every book published after the printing press.

Also INFLECTION can easily be detected when using standard fonts. I need to stop shooting down arguements today.

fix'd. I think.

Thanks

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Comic book typography is generally pretty awful. There are numerous fonts out there, mostly modeled after the handwriting of famous letterers or artists, but it's hard to spot the differences because the lettering usually appears at small sizes and only in capital letters, which lack distinguishing characteristics in the simple scrawl used for comic lettering.

But there aren't a lot of great options for improving comic typography; there's not a lot of space for the word balloons, it's a PITA to create pleasant shape relationships between the letters and the word balloons, and taking the time to make comic book typography even begin to approach elegance would cost a hell of a lot more than just doing everything in a generic uppercase scrawl. Given that decades of crummy text in comic books has not turned readers off, there's little need to change.
    Well, to the OP. You should make a big arguement about the majority of news papers being in the same font. Follow that by all message boards using standard fonts. Actually, the entire internet. Oh and the standard fonts in every book published after the printing press.

The majority of newspapers don’t use the same font; hundreds of newspaper text fonts are in use around the world, along with thousands of other typefaces mixed in for headlines and decorative purposes. Message boards use proper quotes, most users just don’t have a clue how to enter them because they don’t appear on keyboards. Internet type may be limited by the selection of fonts the users have, but there are far more differences between Verdana, Times, Helvetica, Tahoma, Courier, Arial, Georgia, and Impact than there are in most simple comic fonts. As for book publishing, tens of thousands of typefaces have been used in books in the last decade, not too mention since Gutenberg.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    supabeast wrote: »
    Comic book typography is generally pretty awful. There are numerous fonts out there, mostly modeled after the handwriting of famous letterers or artists, but it's hard to spot the differences because the lettering usually appears at small sizes and only in capital letters, which lack distinguishing characteristics in the simple scrawl used for comic lettering.

But there aren't a lot of great options for improving comic typography; there's not a lot of space for the word balloons, it's a PITA to create pleasant shape relationships between the letters and the word balloons, and taking the time to make comic book typography even begin to approach elegance would cost a hell of a lot more than just doing everything in a generic uppercase scrawl. Given that decades of crummy text in comic books has not turned readers off, there's little need to change.

The majority of newspapers don’t use the same font; hundreds of newspaper text fonts are in use around the world, along with thousands of other typefaces mixed in for headlines and decorative purposes. Message boards use proper quotes, most users just don’t have a clue how to enter them because they don’t appear on keyboards. Internet type may be limited by the selection of fonts the users have, but there are far more differences between Verdana, Times, Helvetica, Tahoma, Courier, Arial, Georgia, and Impact than there are in most simple comic fonts. As for book publishing, tens of thousands of typefaces have been used in books in the last decade, not too mention since Gutenberg.
    I like your arguement. I would make the same but do you not agree that there is a crime for uniformity amongst scholars and publishers. Honestly, try to submit a resume or any other serious article in any font other than those that you mentioned. It will be discarded. Yes, many type faces have existed but they have all been relatively similar or at least derivatives of a popular font.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png