As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comics as literature?

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
I think we've all dealt with those people, the ones who clutch desperately to their new copy of whatever bishoujo crap is big right now, shouting "This is not a comic, it is a graphic novel." I guess these people want to believe that anything they read needs to somehow be validated as high art.

Allow me to preface this by saying that I believe that comic books obviously have a priority to entertain. They are disposable magazines about men in tights who blow things up, manufactured ad nauseum for a mass audience. I do not believe, outside of the debatable ramifications as super heroes as our "modern mythology," that most comic books have a great amount of depth or literary merit.

But many do. Certain writers in particular seem able to inject their stories with layers. As much as it's bashed, Marvel's "Civil War" is one of these "deeper" stories, I'd say. Similarly, "Identity Crisis" is often held in such regard, as are "Kingdom Come," "Marvels," "Arkham Asylum," and a vast array of other such books. Hell, I can even find meaningful subtext in things that Garth Ennis writes, notably the second major arc of Punisher MAX, "Kitchen Irish."

To this extent, I think that literature is evolving in some way. If you look back to comics 30 years ago, a lot of this depth was absent. What do you guys think about depth in the stories of comic books, or whether or not they're "literature" in the most meaningful sense of the word? Does it even matter? Should pulp entertainment strive to be anything but that?

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    check out some comics that don't feature men in tights, muchaco

also, kitchen irish was by far the dumbest of all the punisher max arcs. check out the slavers if you want something that's actually good

edit- god, identity crisis? really? that's held up as a bastion of literature?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it really depends on the writer. For example, my first comic book was FF #243, "Everyone vs Galactus", by John Byrne. I can go back now (twenty years later) and re-read his entire run, and pick up nuances that I just didn't think to look for as a seven year old. Does that make it literature? I don't know, but it definitely makes it well-crafted, and that's a hard thing to find in comic book writing (either back then, or today).

If someone put a gun to my head and said "Show me comics that would be considered literature!", I'd point them towards Astro City, Starman, and Fables. Singular visions (in the sense that each comic is put together by either the same creators throughout the entire run, or (in the case of Starman), the same writer gets to maintain his vision throughout the series). Starman is probably the best at this, since it has definite payoffs in the last twelve issues for those that stuck with the series from the beginning.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was thinking of making a thread called "Watchmen or the Ultimates?"

The purpose of that thread would be to talk about what we like better, something "literary" like Watchmen that is a huge investment to read, or stupid fun like the Ultimates, of which you can burn through six issues in a half hour.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rereading that first post, I'd argue that comics from thirty years ago had plenty of 'adult' subtext, particularly the early Marvel stuff produced by Stan Lee. At the very least, it had more of it than the "Identity Crisis" and "Civil War" stories of today, and it wasn't done in such a half-assed fashion (I'm surprised Millar didn't have an Eskimo and a Native American in full Indian headdress tackle Captain America at the end of Civil War).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sandman, the invisibles, from hell, new frontier, blankets, life in hell, hate, buddy does jersey, a complete lowlife, lost at sea, channel zero, queen and country, dmz, nat turner, v for vendetta, new x-men, promethea, sheesh

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was having this conversation earlier about 'Graphic Novels' vs. 'Comic Books'. It all started with watching 300 and talking about Frank Miller. They said since they are both movies from Graphic Novels, they are good. Just the fact that Miller wrote it in "Graphic Novel" format, was enough to justify it. No matter the writing. I mean, yeah 300 was an alright read through, but the writing is flat out cheesy. Now Plantery or something, that has loads better writing, but won't be popular because its not a 'graphic novel' instead its a Comic Book Trade Paperback. Which is practially the exact same damn thing.

I guess I just get upset when people justify someone's writing ability by the format they write in. It like saying the writing a newspaper is better than say writing a magazine.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Eisner was writing 'graphic novels' in the early 70s. People that get all hung up on stuff like that (ala the description given in the first post) should be round up and shot. It's a fucking comic book, get over it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What do you guys think about depth in the stories of comic books, or whether or not they're "literature" in the most meaningful sense of the word?

How do you respond to a question like that when the media in question, comic books, is not homogenous?

You could no more speak of the depth in film or novels, or even of people.

Some are good, and some aren't. Some have depth, some don't. Some transcend norms, and some adhere to them or sink even lower.

Beyond that, all you can do is list what you like.

I do agree that the apparent distinction between "graphic novels" and comic books is idiotic, and employed largely because people want to grant worth to their favorites without actually explaining why they like them. "It's a graphic novel," is as much of a cop out as, "It's art."

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »

also, kitchen irish was by far the dumbest of all the punisher max arcs. check out the slavers if you want something that's actually good

I do read comics that don't feature men in tights, Kitchen Irish was amazing, and Identity Crisis, while perhaps not a "bastion of literature," did have depth to it, I'd say. Then again, most people here seem not to like it so much, but hey.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, that graphic novel posturing shit is a little annoying, but at the end of the day I don't give a shit as long as people keep buying stuff and propping up the books I like. If it makes them feel better to be posers I say let 'em, as long as I can get my funny books every Wednesday.

And while some comics may qualify as "literature", I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them as required reading in grade schools.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also, jeez, no need for so many of you to be hostile.

t jkylefulton: I'm kind of on the fence about Stan Lee's writing. I'd say it did have emotional subtext, but the fact of the matter is, on the surface level it was pure cheese. Writing in comics has definitely matured as of late, and that's kind of what this thread was getting at, I suppose. There's no way something like Identity Crisis could've come out 30 years ago, and that, to me, signals that comics are becoming valid "literature."

I mean, who fucking cares if you guys liked Identity Crisis or Civil War, consider them from an idealogical stance.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What Stan Lee stuff have you read, Zeromus?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Identity Crisis is dumb as hell. There's no way any self-respecting author would write that if they're trying to produce literature. So basically it's like a Dean Koontz book.

If any comic were to be considered literature, it would be Sandman.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also, 30+ years ago, Eisner was publishing books like "Contract With God", Warren was publishing books like "Creepy" (which arguably had the greatest artistic line-up of all time), V for Vendetta was being written, Maus was being done, as was the Claremont/Byrne X-Men (which introduced the whole Superhuman registration idea), Dave Sim was producing Cerebus.

Saying this in a completely non-hostile way, I'd suggest that you expand your horizons a bit (again, this is hard for me to say, because I really don't know the breadth of what you've read).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What Stan Lee stuff have you read, Zeromus?

Honestly, not a ton. I've read a lot of his work on Spider-Man. It feels tacky, especially when Spidey is shouting "If that rubble hits those people, they'll all die!" as a building is clearly crumbling in the foreground. There is obviously reason to praise Lee, but the most subtle writer he is not.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

I do read comics that don't feature men in tights, Kitchen Irish was amazing, and Identity Crisis, while perhaps not a "bastion of literature," did have depth to it, I'd say. Then again, most people here seem not to like it so much, but hey.

kitchen irish was at best exploitive and at worst, sub-marvel knights physical comedy based much around a wacky disfigured antagonist which, of course, is often par for the course with ennis. i strongly suggest checking out the slavers, war stories, hitman, or even preacher, all of which are far better examples of ennis writing engaging characters and stories with real depth. if you want a better example of the punisher tackling irish issues, even, i suggest volume three of the marvel knights series, wherein frank actually goes to belfast and sees how violence and destruction affect a real city with real consequences.

the bonus is that nobody writes 'cunts' on a brick of c-4

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    My other problem with Identity Crisis (beyond the whole shock-rape angle) is that it just doesn't work as a good murder mystery. I mean, it just doesn't.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Do yourself a favor - check out his Fantastic Four (particularly #39-66) and his Silver Surfer runs. Hell, shoot me a PM, I'll email you cbr files. They're great comics.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also, jeez, no need for so many of you to be hostile.

t jkylefulton: I'm kind of on the fence about Stan Lee's writing. I'd say it did have emotional subtext, but the fact of the matter is, on the surface level it was pure cheese. Writing in comics has definitely matured as of late, and that's kind of what this thread was getting at, I suppose. There's no way something like Identity Crisis could've come out 30 years ago, and that, to me, signals that comics are becoming valid "literature."

I mean, who fucking cares if you guys liked Identity Crisis or Civil War, consider them from an idealogical stance.

'no way', eh? you might want to check out the hard-travelin' heroes stories with green arrow and green lantern before you start on that argument

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Do yourself a favor - check out his Fantastic Four (particularly #39-66) and his Silver Surfer runs. Hell, shoot me a PM, I'll email you cbr files. They're great comics.

no you won't

because we will ban you

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The "shock-rape" thing is so overplayed by the book's critics. It was such a minor thing in the grand scheme of the arc.

Personally, I liked Identity Crisis. Sue me.

Perhaps you could expound on your thoughts, Mai-Kero.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Stan Lee's a fucking hack these days.

His earlier works, important though they may be, don't carry much appeal for me either. However, I'd sooner attribute the apparent disparity in quality between older comics and present books to the fact that the writers are targeting entirely different audiences, both in terms of whatever tastes were present at the time and the actual age of the readers. A book that's aimed at myself isn't automatically better than one that isn't, even if I prefer the former.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, still check those comics out.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Stan Lee's a fucking hack these days.

His earlier works, important though they may be, don't carry much appeal for me either. I'd sooner attribute the apparent disparity in quality between older comics and present books to the fact that the writers are targeting entirely different audiences, both in terms whatever tastes were present at the time and the actual age of the readers.

I'm hardly surprised that adults find themselves enjoying comic books of modern times when the average comic reader, and therefore the main source of income for publishers, is in his 20s-30s.

I suppose that's a pretty good point. As an audience matures, I guess it only makes sense that the subject matter would, as well.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well BKV wrote Pride of Baghdad (which I recently read) and in no way can it be dismissed as a "mere comic". It easily earns the title of graphic novel.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

kitchen irish was at best exploitive and at worst, sub-marvel knights physical comedy based much around a wacky disfigured antagonist which, of course, is often par for the course with ennis. i strongly suggest checking out the slavers, war stories, hitman, or even preacher, all of which are far better examples of ennis writing engaging characters and stories with real depth. if you want a better example of the punisher tackling irish issues, even, i suggest volume three of the marvel knights series, wherein frank actually goes to belfast and sees how violence and destruction affect a real city with real consequences.

I have all of the MAX trades, and I think they're all very good, save perhaps for the fourth volume.

I liked Kitchen Irish because it really got to who the Punisher is as a character and what he represents, which was all set very nicely against the whole issue of the IRA and the idea of "never-ending conflict." Maybe we were looking for different things. Preacher is also quite good, but I don't think it's as tight as Ennis' work on Punisher.

And could someone explain to me why whenever this topic is brought up, everyone gets incredibly defensive and seems to take things personally? Seriously, guys, relax.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have all of the MAX trades, and I think they're all very good, save perhaps for the fourth volume.

I liked Kitchen Irish because it really got to who the Punisher is as a character and what he represents, which was all set very nicely against the whole issue of the IRA and the idea of "never-ending conflict." Maybe we were looking for different things. Preacher is also quite good, but I don't think it's as tight as Ennis' work on Punisher.

And could someone explain to me why whenever this topic is brought up, everyone gets incredibly defensive and seems to take things personally? Seriously, guys, relax.

it's funny that we disagree this way, because i actually feel like 'up is down and black is white' is a much better examination of the character and his motives and doesn't feel exploitive to me since it doesn't set the sort of goofy cartoon characters ennis sometimes creates up against a real conflict.

and it's not so much defensive as it is trying to point out all of the much better books you neglected to consider when asking if comics were 'literature'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Well BKV wrote Pride of Baghdad (which I recently read) and in no way can it be dismissed as a "mere comic". It easily earns the title of graphic novel.

Is graphic novel the highest accolade you could grant to Pride of Baghdad?

I hate the idea of people referring to things as "mere comics" as opposed to "average comics". The former implies there's something wrong with the medium itself, even though I see no reason to believe that it's worth less than others. Yes most comics are unremarkable, but that's the case with everything.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the fact that 'premonition' is a pile of crap doesn't mean 'the departed' is any less of a work of art, in other words

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »

Is graphic novel the highest accolade you could grant to Pride of Baghdad?

No, if you do a post search of my posts with "Pride of Baghdad" or "Brian K. Vaughn" as keywords you'll turn up all sorts of gushy fanboy shit.

But it's irrelevant, as the issue here is comics without literary merit vrs. graphic novels which posess said trait.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Both of those comics feature men in tights.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What is a graphic novel anyway? I always considered it a synonym or euphemism for comic books, so if there is a difference between the two terms then I'm unaware of it.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well I think the difference is things described as GN's were not published in issue format, i.e. it's not a collection like a TPB, it was written as a single volume and published as such.

Although the way some people use it is just as a subjective term to distance it from what they view as inferior mainstream stuff.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well I think the difference is things described as GN's were not published in issue format, i.e. it's not a collection like a TPB, it was written as a single volume and published as such.

Although the way some people use it is just as a subjective term to distance it from what they view as inferior mainstream stuff.

yeah, that's what i'd say. graphic novel=pride of baghdad (eg), tpb=y the last man vol. 3 (eg)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ultimately, my problem with Identity Crisis is it's the equivalent of making a porno-snuff-film with Disney characters. If you want to tell a story like that, then great, design your own characters and go to town. But don't try to pound a square peg (all-ages characters) into a round hole (overtly mature storylines).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But why does it matter if something was published in issue format? A year later, when the individual issues are out of print and the most readily available format for the story is a trade paperback that is indistinguishable from that of a graphic novel, there's really no difference.

And nobody acts like there's a difference between the serialized novels of Charles Dickens and novels that are released in their entirety.

To me, calling comics graphic novels is like calling porn "erotica".

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And my problem with Civil War is that Millar really, really got the characterization wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. Like, I'm not sure he's actually read an issue of Iron Man or Fantastic Four before he wrote the story (which you'd think would be a pre-req, but apparently not).

I'll give Marvel this much - from a purely business standpoint, it's done very well, so good for them. But a quality story? No, I don't think so.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Most floppies are written for the trade these days anyhow, so I'm not sure where the distinction comes from either.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I didn't say it mattered. Most of us seem to agree that it dosen't. But on purely technical terms that would be the difference.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But why does it matter if something was published in issue format? A year later, when the individual issues are out of print and the most readily available format for the story is a trade paperback that is indistinguishable from that of a graphic novel, there's really no difference.

And nobody acts like there's a difference between the serialized novels of Charles Dickens and novels that are released in their entirety.

To me, calling comics graphic novels is like calling porn "erotica".

it's not like anyone alive today read bleak house when it was originally serialized though

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg