As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Kanye West Appreciation Thread

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Over on Salon, there is a story regarding celebrity/musician reaction to Kanye's stunt. Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security afterwards.

Restrained by security? Wow. Got a link?

Here you go: Linky.

Quoted for those who want it (courtesy of Rolling Stone):
    Last night’s VMAs ceremony featured Madonna and Janet Jackson’s tributes to the King of Pop, the This Is It trailer and Lady Gaga’s strangest costumes yet, but as soon as the lights dimmed at Radio City Music Hall, all everyone wanted to talk about was Kanye West’s outburst during Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech. Dozens of celebrities flocked to their Twitters and blogs in support of Swift, and three-time VMA winner Kelly Clarkson sat down to write a scathing open letter to the rapper.

“I’ve seen you do some pretty shitty things, but you just keep amazing me with your tactless, asshole ways. It’s absolutely fascinating how much I don’t like you. I like everyone. I even like my asshole ex that cheated on me over you… which is pretty odd since I don’t even personally know you,” Clarkson wrote on her IAmKelly blog. “The best part of this evening is that you weren’t even up for THIS award and yet you still have a problem with the outcome. Is winning a moon man that much of a life goal?? You can have mine if it will shut you up. Is it that important, really??” Clarkson was nominated in the Best Female Video category last night, but added that she was “excited” when Swift was named the winner.

Pink, who also lost in the Best Female Video category, reportedly had to be restrained by security from approaching West after his rant. Unable to lash out in person, Pink instead turned to her Twitter to attack Kanye, MTV reports. “Kanye West is the biggest piece of shit on earth. Quote me,” Pink wrote. “My heart goes out to Taylor Swift. She is a sweet and talented girl and deserved her moment.”

American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert wrote on his Twitter, “Kanye needs to chill. He freaks out every year. It ain’t that deep man,” while Danny Gokey simply used Kanye’s words against him, writing “How could you be so heartless?” Katy Perry was less subtle in her tweet, posting “Fuck U Kanye. It’s like u stepped on a kitten.” Kings of Leon’s Nathan Followill said, “We lost damnit. Maybe next year. At least we got to see the worst haircut since 1984 try to steal the spotlight from lovely Taylor Swift.” For more of the Kanye bashfest, check out ONTD’s rundown of celeb tweets.

Despite the backlash, Kanye won’t be able to hide for long — he’s scheduled to appear with Jay-Z and Rihanna for a performance of “Run This Town” on tonight’s premiere episode of The Jay Leno Show. Barring Kanye canceling on Leno — or Leno canceling on Kanye — you can probably expect West to steal the microphone from Leno’s desk and issue another apology to Swift tonight on air.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanye's apology:
    SHE IS VERY TALENTED! I LIKE THE LYRICS ABOUT BEING A CHEERLEADER AND SHE’S IN THE BLEACHERS!

It's obvious that he's not being serious, come on.

Burden of Proof on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security afterwards.

There's a shocker...

Dalboz on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bet he had money on Beyonce winning.

Thats why he was pissed.

Shawnasee on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Over on Salon, there is a story regarding celebrity/musician reaction to Kanye's stunt. Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security afterwards.

Restrained by security? Wow. Got a link?

Here you go: Linky.

Quoted for those who want it (courtesy of Rolling Stone):
    Last night’s VMAs ceremony featured Madonna and Janet Jackson’s tributes to the King of Pop, the This Is It trailer and Lady Gaga’s strangest costumes yet, but as soon as the lights dimmed at Radio City Music Hall, all everyone wanted to talk about was Kanye West’s outburst during Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech. Dozens of celebrities flocked to their Twitters and blogs in support of Swift, and three-time VMA winner Kelly Clarkson sat down to write a scathing open letter to the rapper.

“I’ve seen you do some pretty shitty things, but you just keep amazing me with your tactless, asshole ways. It’s absolutely fascinating how much I don’t like you. I like everyone. I even like my asshole ex that cheated on me over you… which is pretty odd since I don’t even personally know you,” Clarkson wrote on her IAmKelly blog. “The best part of this evening is that you weren’t even up for THIS award and yet you still have a problem with the outcome. Is winning a moon man that much of a life goal?? You can have mine if it will shut you up. Is it that important, really??” Clarkson was nominated in the Best Female Video category last night, but added that she was “excited” when Swift was named the winner.
    Man, between this and the way she talked about how no one was going to ever be on Perez Hilton's side re: the punching incident, Kelly Clarkson is becoming pretty awesome in my eyes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    I love it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've read that Beyonce won in another catagory, and gave up her stagetime for Swift.

If true, that's incredibly classy, and shows more character in one action than I've heard of from Kanye's entire career.

Him being a loudmouthed douchebag may be consistant, but that doesn't make it a quality to applaud either.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

There's a shocker...

Although, if Pink had clocked him, we would all be playing the video of it over, and over again, chortling with glee the entire time. I would give it an hour until the video was up on youtube set to the tune of Kanye's "Stronger."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There's a shocker...

Although, if Pink had clocked him, we would all be playing the video of it over, and over again, chortling with glee the entire time. I would give it an hour until the video up on youtube set to the tune of Kanye's "Stronger."
    I'm honestly surprised they didn't just let it happen.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2009
    I guess I'm gonna just have to watch tonight's Leno after all.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    I've read that Beyonce won in another catagory, and gave up her stagetime for Swift.

If true, that's incredibly classy, and shows more character in one action than I've heard of from Kanye's entire career.

Him being a loudmouthed douchebag may be consistant, but that doesn't make it a quality to applaud either.

She won Best Video of the Year, which anyone who has ever seen the VMAs before knew was going to happen. They never give Best Female/Male and Best Overall to the same person. It doesn't technically make sense, but they are just trying to spread it around.

It would have been great if Pink had beat the shit out of Kanye. I would loop it forever.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited September 2009
    I would pay money to watch Pink kick Kanye's ass.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

She won Best Video of the Year, which anyone who has ever seen the VMAs before knew was going to happen. They never give Best Female/Male and Best Overall to the same person. It doesn't technically make sense, but they are just trying to spread it around.

It would have been great if Pink had beat the shit out of Kanye. I would loop it forever.

Ah, I don't watch the VMA's, so I didn't know that in losing the one catagory, she was more of a shoe-in for the other.

Regardless, giving up stage time is still classy.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ah, I don't watch the VMA's, so I didn't know that in losing the one catagory, she was more of a shoe-in for the other.

Regardless, giving up stage time is still classy.

Yeah, I didn't mean to take away from that. It was still really nice of Beyonce, and felt pretty sincere too. She said she remembered her first night winning as being a REALLY big deal and that she didn't want Swift to miss out.

That was more a dig at Kanye, who goes every year but is complete moron and apparently hasn't seen how transparent the awards are.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited September 2009

30082920-30082921-large.jpg

OMG, same dress!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's probably for the best. Pink most likely would have been able to beat the ever-living hell out of Kanye.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Egotistical jackoff acts like an egotistical jackoff on an awards show for music videos on a channel that doesn't even show music videos any more - film at 11.

Nightslyr on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So is there a video of him doing this online? I can't find a single one on youtube...I must see his douchery for myself!

And video.google.com comes to the rescue.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The whole time I'm reading through this I'm thinking man it woulda been funny if somone would have done this to him at his mom's funeral. "Kanye I'm sorry for you, and I'ma letchu finish but Katrina was one of the worst disasters in American History. One of the worst in American History!"

ZOMG I SAID IT I'M SORRY. I REALLY LIKE HIS GOLDSOMETHING SONG ABOUT WHORES AND SUCH!!

I suppose I can see how Kanye has fun with this because that was a great release for me. The only problem is I can't get away with it because I'm not famous.

Warchild77 on
    edited September 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    So is there a video of him doing this online? I can't find a single one on youtube...I must see his douchery for myself!

Here it is

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

There's a shocker...

Although, if Pink had clocked him, we would all be playing the video of it over, and over again, chortling with glee the entire time. I would give it an hour until the video was up on youtube set to the tune of Kanye's "Stronger."

I'd pay to see this.

psychotix on
  • aseriesofchasmsaseriesofchasms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

There's a shocker...

I'd pay to see this.

This would be the greatest thing out of all great things.

aseriesofchasms on
    If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My only exposure to Kanye West is this article on Cracked.

I thank him for inventing the phrase "Little Baby Tourettes".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Laura Ingraham was talking about the VMAs on her show this morning, implying West was a racist and extremely rude for interrupting. The thing is, she applauds Joe Wilson for interrupting Obama.

Well, Laura Ingraham is an idiot, so there is that.

Why would Stink take West being rude to Swift so personally? Are Stink and Swift BFFs? Or is she getting too much juice from her yet-to-drop testes?

GungHo on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I linked that earlier...

Venkman90 on
  • zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you guys realize it's all a plotted out ploy to sell more records right? all three win in this because you are talking about it.

taylor swift is still the sweet little country singer.
    beyonce is the classy pop singer
    kanye is the doucebag "rapper" with "beef," who everyone hates.

all three get their fans to buy more albums, and people who don't generally watch the vmas, or listen to a specific genre of the three, are now talking about them, and listening to them. people are also talking about MTV's VMAs this year. every year they have a stunt like this to promote mtv and the music they actually air. all three artists in this case.

it's one giant marketing ploy, whoever is in charge deserves a medal because otherwise no one would actually care about the vmas besides the teeny boppers who still watch mtv.

i bet if you looks at the itunes numbers ALREADY, songs by all three artists being sold went up overnight.

zychi on
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    you guys realize it's all a plotted out ploy to sell more records right? all three win in this because you are talking about it.

all three get their fans to buy more albums, and people who don't generally watch the vmas, or listen to a specific genre of the three, are now talking about them, and listening to them. people are also talking about MTV's VMAs this year. every year they have a stunt like this to promote mtv and the music they actually air. all three artists in this case.

it's one giant marketing ploy, whoever is in charge deserves a medal because otherwise no one would actually care about the vmas besides the teeny boppers who still watch mtv.

i bet if you looks at the itunes numbers ALREADY, songs by all three artists being sold went up overnight.

Color me cynical but I tend to agree with this.

Consider:

- This exposed Taylor Swift to a slew of people who didnt even know her and people are supporting her despite never having listened to her music.

- It gave an opportunity for Beyonce to further increase her popularity by allowing her to give Swift the "spotlight" that was taken from her in a feat of class that almost defies imagination.

- Everyone is talking about Kanye West. his name is on Facebook statuses and Tweets everywhere. There's almost no such thing as bad publicity.

- The MTV VMAs are further publicized, improving their fading position in pop culture and music industry.

It's just too perfect.

Glyph on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's actually what I was thinking.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    w202461122.jpg

And that's all I have to say about that.

joshofalltrades on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While I enjoy some of Kayne West music, I really wish he would shut up in most of his other ventures.

Dragkonias on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread is starting to turn truther-esque...

"It couldn't just be that Kanye's a douchebag, the whole thing was an inside job!"

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    saint2e wrote: »

"It couldn't just be that Kanye's a douchebag, the whole thing was an inside job!"

Yeah. It really isn't any conspiracy to it. He really is just a giant douche a lot of the time.

Dragkonias on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    w202461122.jpg

And that's all I have to say about that.

sig'd? Or did someone else take it?

EDIT: well I'm using it now :/

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009

It's not an inside job, but it was clearly setup.

Beyonce just happens to win at the end of the show?
    Taylor and Beyonce are both wearing red dresses?
    Kanye happens to not understand how the VMAs work(you win earlier, you won't win again later).
    Kanye also throws ANOTHER fit at the VMAs, and it has nothing to do with his music, or him not winning?
    Taylor has a mic while she's walking from the back?
    All three artists involved are heavily rotated on Mtv, even if theyre videos are only on in the morning?
    Kanye and Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, just happen to be the musical guest on Leno's new show tonight?
    It's clearly a publicity stunt, not like Bruno falling on Eminem setup, but where they knew how to play with the audience's emotions to get them talking about it. It's marketing 101.

You get rid of this and it's one of the worst VMA's ever(except for Russel Brand who I thought was great again) imo.

zychi on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh, when it comes to the celebrity/music industry, being cynical about it is a lot easier. I dunno if I'd go so far as to say the whole thing was contrived by MTV or something, but if it did turn out to be something Kanye had planned in advance I wouldn't be too surprised. Beyonce's part in it could have easily been done on the fly, whether it was her idea or her agent calling during a commercial break and saying "When you win you should give your time to Swift, you'll look hella classy."

Edit: to the above, just because she had a mic and was backstage doesn't mean it wasn't spontaneous - they could have easily let her know beforehand.

Anyway, on my part it's a net gain - I never watch the VMAs or buy music from any of the three, but without all this malarky I wouldn't have video-surfed and seen a video of Lady Gaga's performance. Good stuff.

KalTorak on
    edited September 2009
    Most artists at these events tend to go back to their seats for the remainder of the show after they win/perform. The whole event is planned.

I'm not saying "OMG CONSPIRACY!"

I'm saying every year Mtv has something like this occur, whether it be Britney Spears "return," her lesbian kiss with Madonna, Kanye last year, Howard Stern's buttman or Limp Bizkit's singer climbing on shit and breaking things. They always have some "stunt" that occurs every year to get the media, and people talking about the show.

zychi on
    edited September 2009

Kanye happens to not understand how the VMAs work(you win earlier, you won't win again later).
    Kanye also throws ANOTHER fit at the VMAs, and it has nothing to do with his music, or him not winning?
    All three artists involved are heavily rotated on Mtv, even if theyre videos are only on in the morning?
    Kanye and Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, just happen to be the musical guest on Leno's new show tonight?
    It's clearly a publicity stunt, not like Bruno falling on Eminem setup, but where they knew how to play with the audience's emotions to get them talking about it. It's marketing 101.

You get rid of this and it's one of the worst VMA's ever(except for Russel Brand who I thought was great again) imo.
    I'm not saying it wasn't set up, but I mean come on:

Beyonce was clearly going to win Best Video and only people without brains thought otherwise
    Seriously? They're both wearing red is a piece of evidence? Holy shit I wore red yesterday too maybe I was in on it.
    I am 99% sure that Kanye doesn't understand how anything at all works
    Kanye is a delusional douche
    A stage manager handed it to her?
    All three are fairly successful and thus have their videos and songs played rather frequently

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »

I linked that earlier...

This isn't about you, it's about me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously? Your evidence is that ONE OF THE BIGGEST VIDEOS OF THE YEAR WINS VIDEO OF THE YEAR, chicks wearing red, and Kanye not understanding something?

That isn't a setup, that's just Tuesday.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Why would Stink take West being rude to Swift so personally? Are Stink and Swift BFFs? Or is she getting too much juice from her yet-to-drop testes?
    I get the feeling Gungho is trying to imply something but I don't think he's being blatantly obvious about it enough.

Quid on