As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But you just causes genocide, you killed ALL the goblins, ever. You sir, are the real monster.

Melding on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    and then Callius was a zombie

Antimatter on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    But you just causes genocide, you killed ALL the goblins, ever. You sir, are the real monster.
    I'm sick of Man always being the real monster. Why can't anything ever be more monstrous than man?

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2009
    The Tarrasque is also the real monster, also true with: vampires, Fire giants, demons, devils, zombies, and unicorns.

Melding on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    hey so when is the assassin class coming to the character builder?

Kusuguttai on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm sick of Man always being the real monster. Why can't anything ever be more monstrous than man?
    because somehow people keep thinking this is a new and edgy idea

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Tarrasque is also the real monster

No, Tarrasque is love.

DarkPrimus on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And then Jim was the Tarrasque.

august on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, there's a third edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay coming out this year, but nobody on PA has said a single word about it up until now.

I feel like I should start a CF thread about Fantasy Flight Games' preview info so far, but I'm worried all I'll hear is butt-hurt about all the visual aids and the dice pools.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are there any games with dwarves who do not have beards? I know Dark Sun has muls (half-dwarves) who are completely bald except for their eyebrows/lashes, but is there anything else with non-bearded Dwarves?

DouglasDanger on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The modern usage of the term is derived almost exclusively from depictions of small bearded people (originally they were just strange men living in the mountains, small stature is an aspect of christianized folk tales); regardless of any other traits these have effectively become their definition, so any small non-bearded folk in recent history will almost always be called something else.

So it's kinda like asking if anyone's done small munchkins yet. 'Not really, it wouldn't really be much of a munchkin in that case.'

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Man, there's a third edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay coming out this year, but nobody on PA has said a single word about it up until now.

I feel like I should start a CF thread about Fantasy Flight Games' preview info so far, but I'm worried all I'll hear is butt-hurt about all the visual aids and the dice pools.

WFRP was the fucking best.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A third edition? Dang, I love the second edition, but I thought it only came out a little while ago. How big of a change is it? I liked it a lot for its simplicity, saying 'dice pools' makes me a little nervous.

edit:: wow, yeah, this looks like total shit. If you have to buy a bunch of cards and tokens and custom dice to play your role playing game, then fuck you and your game. If you want to make a boardgame, make a boardgame.

edit2:: So yeah, it's like an rpg, but with numbers taken out...I guess? I read all their blog posts on it, and I still don't really think I have a good handle on how things are going to work. I get the whole 'add fortune dice for good things, add black dice for bad things', but without knowing what's ON any of the dice, it's hard to know what the game would be like.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I figured you wouldn't like it.

Obviously you don't have to play with the cards and profession sheets, they're just provided so you can reference and use them without flipping through a single rulebook and pointing a paragraph out for any skill or special action. It's exactly the sort of thing I was planning on making for Dark Heresy 40kRP earlier this year.

There's a chart for the dice results in one of the news posts. Basically, hammers are positive, crossed swords are negative, skulls and chaos are mishaps, comets are extra fortune, and there's a few extra bits like delays and bonus points.

Basically the player can just grab their number of dice, add in the dice from the GM's declared difficulty, and immediately see the results in something like 'righteous success, but with a delay and a mishap', which the GM is free to interpret (or even an inexperienced group can devise at a concensus). It can allow for narrative-driven roleplay, and again the GM doesn't have to rely exclusively on it and can still decide upon his own whims.

I think there'll be a lot of potential with new players and people who otherwise have trouble getting into RPGs.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Obviously you don't have to play with the cards and profession sheets, they're just provided so you can reference and use them without flipping through a single rulebook and pointing a paragraph out for any skill or special action. It's exactly the sort of thing I was planning on making for Dark Heresy 40kRP earlier this year.

There's a chart for the dice results in one of the news posts. Basically, hammers are positive, crossed swords are negative, skulls and chaos are mishaps, comets are extra fortune, and there's a few extra bits like delays and bonus points.

Basically the player can just grab their number of dice, add in the dice from the GM's declared difficulty, and immediately see the results in something like 'righteous success, but with a delay and a mishap', which the GM is free to interpret (or even an inexperienced group can devise at a concensus). It can allow for narrative-driven roleplay, and again the GM doesn't have to rely exclusively on it and can still decide upon his own whims.

I think there'll be a lot of potential with new players and people who otherwise have trouble getting into RPGs.

Except everyone I know who has trouble getting into RPGs would take one look at that set-up and flee screaming into the night.

Obtuse complexity wards away new players, it doesn't bring them in.

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    I suppose they could make them smiley and frowny faces, then.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a problem with those kinds of things being optional, dnd 4 does that and I'm ok with it. I have a problem with paying for it if I don't want to use it.

I dunno, I'm still not a fan of requiring custom dice, but I guess I can support the kind of mechanics that add to the narrative.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009

oh for christ's sake

what the hell is wrong with numbers?

i don't need a chart to know what numbers are!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Except everyone I know who has trouble getting into RPGs would take one look at that set-up and flee screaming into the night.

Obtuse complexity wards away new players, it doesn't bring them in.
    The best part?

This is replacing a game who's main dice mechanic was rolling a pair of d10's.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited September 2009
    I was looking through Mastermind's Manual (a book of alternate rules for Mutants & Masterminds) recently and an interesting idea came up:

Instead of using a d20 for rolling things, you take a deck of regular playing cards, and remove the face cards and the jokers.

Ace to 10 of the red suits count as 1-10, Ace to 10 of the black suits count as 11-20 (basically adding 10 to the value of a black suit card).

Then, for each scene or combat, you deal each player 5 random cards.

Instead of rolling, each player plays a card from their hand of their choosing. Once they have played all 5 cards, they get a new hand.

It's an interesting alternative, because it gives the players more control over when they have "good rolls" and when they have "bad rolls".

However, because they don't get new cards until it is either a new scene or they play all of their hand of cards, it means inevitably they're going to have some shitty rolls.

It's an interesting mechanic and I might try it in the future.

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    isn't there an rpg in a western setting that also uses a deck of regular playing cards?

shit... it's on the tip of my tongue i just can't remember the name.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I tried something similar once, but it didn't go so well.. it might depend on the players, but generally, no one likes being forced to play a 2, and having it sitting there, knowing it's likely a failure takes away from the fun - at least, that was my experience.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    I tried something similar once, but it didn't go so well.. it might depend on the players, but generally, no one likes being forced to play a 2, and having it sitting there, knowing it's likely a failure takes away from the fun - at least, that was my experience.

I suppose there is that.

It's definitely the sort of thing I'd playtest with a one-off session before using it in a real campaign.

I've also been thinking on systems that utilize counters or points to resolve conflicts.

I actually don't really like dice that much! So, diceless resolution mechanics interest me. I don't mind randomization, but single-dice resolution systems are a bit too random for my taste in many cases. Systems that use bell-curve multi-dice mechanics (World of Darkness, for example) are pretty cool, but I see ideas like this card thing and it quirks my eyebrow.

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

oh for christ's sake

what the hell is wrong with numbers?

i don't need a chart to know what numbers are!

Nothing's inherently wrong with a simple pass/fail percentage; sometimes you just need to resolve 'do I know it/can I do it, yes or no?' and move on without elaboration. Other times you get a failure and the GM just sits there for a few moments and wracks his brain for a relevant result that isn't out of left field.

So next time he's either got to structure some form of degrees of success & failure and some circumstance modifiers in his head or consult guidelines the rules provide, at which point that's pretty much involving a chart to interpret how well you did and what effected it.

I know just about every session of WH40kRP I played was plagued with situations where I could roll my 40% to-hit weapon skill and still have to do mental math and consult with the GM to sort out how well I did. "So that's -10 for the lighting, but +10 now that I'm at close range, right? and another ten for aiming, and then this and this and that modifies it for..." *counts on fingers*. And that's not an action with hazy degrees of failure guidelines that are either absent or overly complex depending on the book.

Whereas I can see a qualitiative number-of-successes system being useful to people who want less floating numbers but some guidelines in improvising.

But I don't think anyone should have to consult a chart to remember four or five symbols mean psoitive or negative. I'm a numbers person and I picked it up almost immediately.

Yeah, I should have kept quiet about third edition WFRP.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    it seems potentially pretty cool. i'd be interested in trying it out, but my players seem to love rolling dice and do it even when i don't ask them too

they have rolled dice to see who pays for pizza

in the form of persuade checks

Orikaeshigitae on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    man i just want to look at assassins

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    it seems potentially pretty cool. i'd be interested in trying it out, but my players seem to love rolling dice and do it even when i don't ask them too

they have rolled dice to see who pays for pizza

in the form of persuade checks

We also rolled to see who was the prettiest.

Melding on
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

I suppose there is that.

It's definitely the sort of thing I'd playtest with a one-off session before using it in a real campaign.

I've also been thinking on systems that utilize counters or points to resolve conflicts.

I actually don't really like dice that much! So, diceless resolution mechanics interest me. I don't mind randomization, but single-dice resolution systems are a bit too random for my taste in many cases. Systems that use bell-curve multi-dice mechanics (World of Darkness, for example) are pretty cool, but I see ideas like this card thing and it quirks my eyebrow.

I love those kind of quasi-random selection things too. The old Star Wars ccg used it really well, where cards that were not as useful as others had higher 'destiny' numbers, and I think I would enjoy cataan more if played with the deck drawing variant.

The only real problem I would have with the mode you suggested would be I could see players backing off and being more cautious, or performing useless actions to get rid of the crappy number they have. Or, maybe that's desirable, I dunno.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I should have kept quiet about third edition WFRP.

I don't really have a problem with whatever wacky success/failure rolling scheme they want to use, I love trying out new rp systems, and I like having a variety of styles. What I don't like is having to buy all their proprietary dice and cards and shit. If I can't just buy the book and play, then it feels like a big money grab.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deadlands uses a deck of cards standard for their magic system and their initiative system I believe. I want to play it someday.

Straightzi on
    edited September 2009
    That's the one I was thinking of!

Thanks Quetzi that was bugging the crap out of me all day.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm loving divine power. It's given me the ability to create a Paladin that can't heal in any way, shape or form.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm loving divine power. It's given me the ability to create a Paladin that can't heal in any way, shape or form.
    So what does he do? Just smite bad guys and tell his friends to toughen up and stop bleeding?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    he smites bad guys so hard that his friends stop bleeding

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's basically a fighter but I like Divine Challenge/Sanction more than vanilla Mark.

Good old Vanilla Mark, what a guy.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha, what a cut-up that Mark is. Always telling jokes.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited September 2009
    We ran into a Needlefang Drake last encounter and Kayne's Pally and mine just kept swapping out Divine Challenges while standing next to it. So everytime it attacked us at the start of a turn, it took radiant damage because it was attacking against a mark.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Apparently two defenders and a high-defense leader versus a melee creature that can only attack AC can do very, very well, who'd've thunk it. As we speak I am ramping up the difficulty of later encounters considerably.

Marshmallow on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is the game on for today, Quetzi?

Also, Mori, I blame you.

I blame you for the fact that I now really want to run a Persona-themed M&M game and I totally know exactly how I'd do it.

DE?AD on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Also, Mori, I blame you.

I blame you for the fact that I now really want to run a Persona-themed M&M game and I totally know exactly how I'd do it.

Hahah, fuck yes

I take it you met Funky Student

Also that endurance run really makes me want to buy a new PS2 and a copy of Persona 4

Moriveth on
This discussion has been closed.