As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Chat Thread Discussion

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
Use this thread to discuss the changes to the G&T Chat Thread, as seen here.

If you don't want to discuss those changes, don't use this thread.

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    Master ComputerMaster Computer Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    What worries me is:

What about the random stupid comedy?

I mean "This is why mom left" is a perfect example of ridiculously stupid, but it's funny.

On other rules I completely agree.

The Huagalag poasts that speed up the thread to an unreadable extent should probably stop.

Master Computer on
    1113904359102_17629_056.gif
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I asked this in the other thread and was redirected here, so:
    So, let's say I have a comic edit about, oh, I don't know, David Byrne. And I've been working on it for the last hour. So, I post it, when the conversation has obviously moved on. In this situation, do I:

A) Just post it.
    B) Post it and explain "I've been working on this for an hour and I think it's funny, so I wanted to share it."
    C) Don't post it at all and stop making edits to old 1990s Marvel Comics so I can try and attach myself to some semblance of a life.

I don't mean to seem facetious, I am just curious which one won't get me jailed.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, the bottom-fed rule I disagree with, so long as someone is quoting themselves when they answer someone's question or say something important. I think it's just fine. I can't recall the amount of times I, and others, have missed things that were bottomfed, only to see them again when they're quoted.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Are the threads still 50 pages long and using the "mad dash" rules for creating more?

Rule number 4 was already one of the pre-existing rules of chat threads. And the third is a bit of a non-issue. The first two are good though, each and every "maek poast" post filled with with horrible green rage.

Edit : Nevermind. Found the answer to that question had already been included in the original post. Surely we could just rip off D&D's chat thread starting rules? Those seem to work really well.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Personally, I don't like the idea of only mods making the chat threads.

The old method added a bit of flavor to each one, and as long as each one follows the new rules, why not?

Kriz on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Kriz wrote:

The old method added a bit of flavor to each one, and as long as each one follows the new rules, why not?
    While I agree with your point I think it was so there aren't 9 people sniping a chat thread and a mod has to go lock 8 of them and then someone always gets upset that their chat thread was locked or something.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    ShimSham wrote:
    Kriz wrote:

While I agree with your point I think it was so there aren't 9 people sniping a chat thread and a mod has to go lock 8 of them and then someone always gets upset that their chat thread was locked or something.
    So we should steal the D&D system of whoever gets the last post on the penultimate page gets to make the next thread.
    That or just let the locking mod pick one of the currently active posters to do it.
    I'm not a fan of just having mods making them either.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I like the new rules. Chat Threads are for chatting, not random anime images. That said, I'm a bit sad to see that we can no longer make threads.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The_Cheese wrote:
    I like the new rules. Chat Threads are for chatting, not random anime images.
    The thing is that a lot of people liked random anime images. I guess one can't please everybody though...

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    The_Cheese wrote:
    The thing is that a lot of people liked random anime images. I guess one can't please everybody though...
    I'm sure there is nothing against making a "Random anime image" thread in SE++ then. Problem solved.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    ShimSham wrote:
    Kriz wrote:

So we should steal the D&D system of whoever gets the last post on the penultimate page gets to make the next thread.
    That or just let the locking mod pick one of the currently active posters to do it.
    That sounds pretty good, actually.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I think my problem with the new chat threads is that ultimately, deciding what's "random" and what's not is going to be a very grey area, and will vary from mod to mod. Therefore, I am going to constantly have to wonder if what I'm posting is "good enough", and what's "good enough" is going to contantly be in flux.

That's not a relaxing chat thread, that's just the opposite. It's like talking to someone, and there's a guy behind you smacking you in the back of the head when what you say doesn't suit him, and eventually you don't even want to talk anymore.

That said, I acknowledge that this ultimately is not my forum, and therefore how I feel about the issue means little in the end. I'm just throwing my opinion out here since an avenue was available.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    TxdoHawk wrote:
    I think my problem with the new chat threads is that ultimately, deciding what's "random" and what's not is going to be a very grey area, and will vary from mod to mod. Therefore, I am going to constantly have to wonder if what I'm posting is "good enough", and what's "good enough" is going to contantly be in flux.

That's not a relaxing chat thread, that's just the opposite. It's like talking to someone, and there's a guy behind you smacking you in the back of the head when what you say doesn't suit him, and eventually you don't even want to talk anymore.

That said, I acknowledge that this ultimately is not my forum, and therefore how I feel about the issue means little in the end. I'm just throwing my opinion out here since an avenue was available.
    Thanks for the post. We worried about this when we setup the rules. This is my take on it. Don't worry about the quality of your posts. Post and if you are getting off track, the mods will let you know. There really won't be much punishment for simple things like that. Now if the mods ask you to stop and you keep doing it, I would expect to recieve a PM. If you still continue, then you will be met with some administrative action. But think about it, by the time that anything really happens to you, you will recieve a warning in the thread and a warning PM\IM\Email\note via carrier penguin. I think thats fair to both the mods and the users.
    That's a cool idea. I'll toss it into the mod forum for discussion. I guess one of the main problems was users weren't including any rules in the first post, by making mods make the chat threads I can make sure the mods include the right things.
    While that can be fun for some people, for everyone else, having a conversation in the midst of "YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER" is damn near impossible. We had to choose, and we decided that more people would benifit from a chat thread of text than a chat thread of images.
    So, let's say I have a comic edit about, oh, I don't know, David Byrne. And I've been working on it for the last hour. So, I post it, when the conversation has obviously moved on. In this situation, do I:

A) Just post it.
    B) Post it and explain "I've been working on this for an hour and I think it's funny, so I wanted to share it."
    C) Don't post it at all and stop making edits to old 1990s Marvel Comics so I can try and attach myself to some semblance of a life.

I don't mean to seem facetious, I am just curious which one won't get me jailed.
    B. And if you get off topic, it won't be an instant jail thing, it will be a "hey your getting off topic" -> a PM of "Please stop". If after that you keep posting comic edits I think you can agree you would deserve the jailing.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    In the first 2 pages of the new Chat Thread, I've seen that damn dragon with butt-wings too many times. Can there be a rule about snipping an image after it's been quoted like 3 times or something?

And seriously, thank you for the "no quoting bottom-fed posts" rule. Maybe that'll teach people to read everything.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    TxdoHawk wrote:

This isn't the chat thread we lost, and it hurts to know that everyone saying "When we get it back, it'll change for the worse" was right...

The best part of the chat thread was that it was more civilized than SE++(on a general over-all scale) but still just as random and fun.

I'm not saying order isn't fun. Obviously we need some sanity to keep this thread from degrading into a retarded mess. But what's the use of making a chat thread in G+T if it's essentially D+Ds Chat thread("NO FUN EVER unless it is clever") with a different set of regulars?

On top of that, it's like the rules go out of their way to get rid of anything any mod might have ever said was out of hand at any point. We never got one bit of say before this(and it might be too late, now.)
    I wanted the chat thread back, but if it has to be more orderly than 90% of the other topics, I dunno if I even wanna waste my time with it.

I'm not saying I don't like the chat thread or I don't appreciate the mods bringing it back, but it's gone through too many changes to really be the old chat thread we all loved.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    We never got one bit of say before this

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190116

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    We never got one bit of say before this

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190116

I wasn't aware we were openly told "Alright. Suggest the changes for the chat thread". I think most of us figured it was simply "Hey we're taking a break."

If I had known I'd actually be listened to I would have said what I said a while back. My statement stands. On top of that, it sounds like the mods listened to whoever wanted the most reasonable/least crazy restrictions on both mod and normal user levels.

I understand how random anime images can be a bit annoying, but we already have the "No more than 100kb images" thing, and there was a limit(wasn't it like 3-4 posts?). That's not TOO hard on 56k, right?

Like I said, I don't want 90 anime images just springing up, but is it really neccasary to make it 100% image-free? Like I said, it's essentially D+Ds "Chat Thread" with different regulars.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    It ain't 100% image free. Just 100% RANDOM image-free. The intent was to get rid of what amounted to spam for the majority of posters. You can still post images, just as long as they have something to do with the conversation.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    It took you guys three weeks to come up with "no numbering chat threads"?

'Cause that's about the only thing that's new here.

...well, I guess the "no posting just to post" is new, but it remains to be seen how that's going to be enforced.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    It ain't 100% image free. Just 100% RANDOM image-free. The intent was to get rid of what amounted to spam for the majority of posters. You can still post images, just as long as they have something to do with the conversation.

omgboomlol wrote:
    hauzerwalk2ib.gif
    Sup, internet.

;)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    This isn't the chat thread we lost, and it hurts to know that everyone saying "When we get it back, it'll change for the worse" was right...

The reason we did all this is that the chat thread was no longer what the "old" thread was to a lot of us that had been around since day 1.

That being said, what we've done here is take - via feeback and observation - what the users wanted, cross-referenced it with what we think this forum is for, and come up with the new chat thread. Yes, it disallows things the other thread didn't. What we are saying is "this is how far we are willing to let the chat thread go". If you don't like the results, you need to find another forum. We anticipate that most people will like these changes, and based on usage so far, I think we're happy with the results.

I'd encourage you to hang out for a bit, as the free wheeling true nature of what we intended can get lost when reading the rules, as since they are rules they don't read as free wheeling. You might be surprised by how much you like it.

Or you might need to move on. I know that some people won't be able to adapt, but that ALWAYS happens when you comprimise.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2005

omgboomlol wrote:
    hauzerwalk2ib.gif
    Sup, internet.

;)
    1. No random image posts - Posting an image that is valid to the current discussion is perfectly fine, however, spamming images for no purpose is not.

2. No making posts for the sake of posting. We're not saying every post should read like a Dickens novel, but they should contain some content, even if it is just to say hello.

That said, the mods have discussed that post.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    Hey guys, there wasn't even a conversation yet. Not when I posted that, at least. 8)

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    Brash BensonBrash Benson Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The rules seem reasonable enough. Let's see how the new era of chat thread progresses.

Brash Benson on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The rules don't seem harsh or change anything in the slightest (outside of the random image thing, and by that I mean the change part).

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2005
    Here are some rules. Not taking them seriously spoils everyone's fun.
    I think, that taking the thread too seriously spoils everyone's fun.

I am worried about the fun nature of the chat thread being cramped by rampant rule enforcement, so I hope that the moderators use their best judgment when they encounter violations.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The chat thread doesn't seem to have changed at ALL, minus the pictures thing.

In a month, it'll be an elitest tight knit group of in-jokes and mindless bantering, snipping at anything that isn't part of their own little world.

Just like before.

With that editorial comment out of the way though, what is the subject matter of the new chat thread supposed to be? I've seen everything talked about, and very little G&T related anything. If it's going to be just any topic that people want, then it's just another D&D style chat thread isn't it?

Polago on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    DarthMat wrote:
    Here are some rules. Not taking them seriously spoils everyone's fun.
    I think, that taking the thread too seriously spoils everyone's fun.

I am worried about the fun nature of the chat thread being cramped by rampant rule enforcement, so I hope that the moderators use their best judgment when they encounter violations.
    Rules don't have to be enforced if people follow them. I mean, basically the way the chat thread works now is that people have to say something and not spam images. It's not hard to follow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    But what's the use of making a chat thread in G+T if it's essentially D+Ds Chat thread("NO FUN EVER unless it is clever") with a different set of regulars?
    Dude, bd came in awhile ago because the homoeroticality was getting out of hand. Not just once in awhile, pages and pages filled with penis and butt and man-on-man sex jokes. Not to ban it or anything, just to limit it to once every three pages or so.

I'd hardly say that's "clever."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    But what's the use of making a chat thread in G+T if it's essentially D+Ds Chat thread("NO FUN EVER unless it is clever") with a different set of regulars?
    Dude, bd came in awhile ago because the homoeroticality was getting out of hand. Not just once in awhile, pages and pages filled with penis and butt and man-on-man sex jokes. Not to ban it or anything, just to limit it to once every three pages or so.

It is fun though. :winky:

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:

Talking about it? Not fun.

Doing it. :^: :^:

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    FenloreFenlore Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Talking about it? Not fun.

Doing it. :^: :^:
    I never liked the gay sex jokes... it funny the one time though we went 7 pages straight either saying or making up metaphores or terms or whatever for jerkin the gurkin.

Fenlore on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    The_Cheese wrote:
    Like I said chat threads are for chatting. The images aren't random if the caption at least applies to the conversation at hand...or so I understand.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    The_Cheese wrote:
    People like random soft porn pics too. Guess what though? Not what the chat thread is there for.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Rules seem OK on paper, but if it gets enforced to the letter, the fun is going to be sucked right out. Some of the funniest chat thread posts have been random. Now everyone will be thinking "Shit, can I post if I'm not posting about about the same thing? Is that evil ceres waiting for me to post off topic? Will her justice be sweeping?" I doubt it would be, but it's going to be a lot less relaxed in there.

And I'll miss mcc's patented "sexually suggestive oh not really" anime pictures. Random pictures can be funny in moderation. In fact, they can be fucking hilarious.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Rules seem OK on paper, but if it gets enforced to the letter, the fun is going to be sucked right out. Some of the funniest chat thread posts have been random. Now everyone will be thinking "Shit, can I post if I'm not posting about about the same thing? Is that evil ceres waiting for me to post off topic? Will her justice be sweeping?" I doubt it would be, but it's going to be a lot less relaxed in there.

And I'll miss mcc's patented "sexually suggestive oh not really" anime pictures. Random pictures can be funny in moderation. In fact, they can be fucking hilarious.
    Yes, but they definitely weren't in moderation before the hiatus. Putting them in moderation is what we're trying to do with these rules.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:

Agreed. But I am glad to see the chat thread back. And I'm curious about something: What about MS Paint war threads?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    wallhitter wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

Agreed. But I am glad to see the chat thread back. And I'm curious about something: What about MS Paint war threads?
    I was going to start another one soon. Why?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    wallhitter wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

Oh, good. I was afraid that they had been destroyed, that's all. Thank you very much, kind sir.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    wallhitter wrote:
    wallhitter wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

Oh, good. I was afraid that they had been destroyed, that's all. Thank you very much, kind sir.
    You're welcome?

Orikaeshigitae on