As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40k - Such is the Emperor's will.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veterans
    Light infantry
    Jungle Fighters (veterans only, for the extra heavy flamer and ability to hide in woods, and fluff reasons)
    Rough Riders (fluff reasons, and I need something nice and mobile to sit in my deployment zone and keep people from infiltrating or deep striking too close to my vehicles)

And then some other doctrine I haven't decided yet, but which will probably be either Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Genadiers, or Die Hards.

Yeah, things like veterans and rough riders seem ok, because they are basically just giving you access to a different army composition.

I like rough riders, but I'm trying to think how they'd fit in my army to be, which will be an urban force. Followers of a planetary governer or religious figure who turned to Tzeentch. Guess there's always the cliche bike option.
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Why Warrior Weapons is anything but free is beyond me.

Its kind of a no brainer that giving close combat weapons to a range unit with the third or fourth worst melee stats in the game shouldn't cost you 1/3 again the cost of the unit.

Thought it'd be fluffy to have zeolots who are given a pistol and sent to charge hopelessly at the enemy. Heck, that'd be fluffy for a loyalist force.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like rough riders, but I'm trying to think how they'd fit in my army to be, which will be an urban force. Followers of a planetary governer or religious figure who turned to Tzeentch. Guess there's always the cliche bike option.

I'd suggest going for a RR style between Krieg's Death Riders and a modern mounted police force. Or something in line with a mounted patrol or moble guard for the governor/church. I've got a pre/early WWI french/prussian regiment on the drafting board that uses RRs akin to Curiassiers but their lances' mounted explosives look more like panzerfausts or mortars.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007

I'd suggest going for a RR style between Krieg's Death Riders and a modern mounted police force. Or something in line with a mounted patrol or moble guard for the governor/church. I've got a pre/early WWI french/prussian regiment on the drafting board that uses RRs akin to Curiassiers but their lances' mounted explosives look more like panzerfausts or mortars.

Ah, like a ceremonial guard unit. Thats a good idea.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    fr_05_nicolas_fournel.jpg

Whoa...

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited March 2007
    That's some nice use of yellow. No clue whats going on there, but great paint job. Whats he summoning the ork genie out of?

Anyhow, these doctrines look good for my uses:

-Rough Riders
    -Sanctioned Psychers (Sorcerors!)
    -Ogryns (Chaos Spawn) - Can either sit in the middle of my army and counter charge when the enemy gets close, or move forward to take objectives.
    -Conscript platoons (cultists)
    -Chameleoline - several squads with 4+ cover saves seems a better points investment than ridiculous carapace armour

I'll put together a list in a bit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    what the

Why don't you use the Lost and the Damned list?

Anime Owns on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey fellas.

I'm working on something of a gift for my girlfriend for her birthday. I was wondering if it'd be alright if I posted stuff about it in here, despite the fact that it's not a 40k miniature.

It's not really even a Warhammer miniature.

It's made by Eureka Miniatures. Some frog thing on a throne that I think she'll find adorable.

100frg13_colour.jpg

They seem to have a weird wargame that's frogs v turtles, and though I'm sure she'll never play any of the tabletop stuff with me, it's like right up her alley, so I bought these and I'm basing/painting it up for her as a gift.

Ein on
    edited March 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    what the

Why don't you use the Lost and the Damned list?

Meh, I don't particularly want chaos marines or such in my army. Though daemons would be interesting.

Thats in, what, codex: armageddon?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2007
    It's in the Eye of Terror codex, and I'm 90% certain that chaos marines are completely optional.

edit - yup, marines are strictly optional. And you get all of the units you want out of your doctrines plus others.

Anime Owns on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chameleoline is great with light infantry because you can deploy your troops directly into cover, making them very hard to root out.

So I've got 2 platoon command squads, 1 with 4 meltas and a plasma pistol, 1 with 4 plasmaguns and a plasma pistol, obviously both designed for close range shooting vs tanks and meqs/terminators respectively, and I can't decide whether to infiltrate them with light infantry in or put them in chimeras. Infiltrate would certainly be cheaper, but I'm also planning on taking a hellhound, a russ, and 2 demolishers and the chimeras would be nice for drawing fire (or at least making the enemy choose to either shoot them or let my squads get through unscathed while they concentrate on the heavier vehicles).

Also, conscript platoons, love them or hate them? After looking at how cheap they are I'm tempted to throw in a platoon of 30 or so just to confuse the enemy and give them one more thing to either shoot at or ignore and get shot up by.

Jealous Deva on
    edited March 2007
    It's in the Eye of Terror codex, and I'm 90% certain that chaos marines are completely optional.

edit - yup, marines are strictly optional. And you get all of the units you want out of your doctrines plus others.

Right, Armageddon is the ork one. I'll check out the lost and the damned list.
    Chameleoline is great with light infantry because you can deploy your troops directly into cover, making them very hard to root out.

So I've got 2 platoon command squads, 1 with 4 meltas and a plasma pistol, 1 with 4 plasmaguns and a plasma pistol, obviously both designed for close range shooting vs tanks and meqs/terminators respectively, and I can't decide whether to infiltrate them with light infantry in or put them in chimeras. Infiltrate would certainly be cheaper, but I'm also planning on taking a hellhound, a russ, and 2 demolishers and the chimeras would be nice for drawing fire (or at least making the enemy choose to either shoot them or let my squads get through unscathed while they concentrate on the heavier vehicles).

Also, conscript platoons, love them or hate them? After looking at how cheap they are I'm tempted to throw in a platoon of 30 or so just to confuse the enemy and give them one more thing to either shoot at or ignore and get shot up by.

The hellhound is better than it used to be, right? I seem to remember it being always blown up instantly in battle reports and such.

As for chimaeras, those are for capturing objectives/moving troops to said objectives and for cover when they blow up, I assume? Its such an expensive APC considering its cargo. It costs more than they do ><

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Haha, yeah, the hellhound got a bit of an upgrade from its old form. It actually functions like a regular vehicle now, but it lost its fast ability or whatever it was. Plus the inferno cannon actually has range now as opposed to being the straight flamer thrower it was.

Anime Owns on
    edited March 2007
    hmm, lost and the damned does look interesting. And I can lead the army with the unpainted Chaos Sorceror model I already have. (the one with the hueg spikes in his helm). I do like the fluff stories of lone chaos marines leading armies of unknowing traitors.

Its the type of list that could be discontinued though...

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

They lose a lot in the trade-off, though. The HQs are basically the same as Chaos Marines', Traitors are costly, a little too mutant-heavy, and they're only allowed 1 IG Tank and 1 Rough Rider unit, Sentinel squad, or Hellhound.

It represents a force much closer to the Chaos Legions than the average Traitor Guard. The regimental doctrines were designed to allow for minor variations in fighting style and theme, like Penal legions, alien followers, and heretics in general.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Well, Chaos Marine HQ is alot better than IG HQ. I really dislike the thought of wasting points gearing out IG officers, who will likely lose combat to a space marine sergeant, even if they have a power sword.

Losing out on tanks, though, is something to be concerned about.

I do own Codex: Chaos Space Marines, and go figure, Tzeentch daemons blow in close combat. Thats blasphemy. Horrors with ranged attacks?
    005_kevin-morbo.gif
    HORRORS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Flamers look pretty sick though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Equipment doctrines are the one case that I rather dislike. If you take it, everyone has to buy the upgrade, whether you want to or not.

Hellhounds, on the other hand, are one of the better anti-infantry tanks in the game. Place the flame template anywhere within 24'', roll to hit at BS3. If you hit, everything the template touch takes a S5 hit. If you miss, roll again for each model the template is touching and they're hit on a 4+. Redundancy for the win.

I don't know why I haven't bought one yet.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited March 2007
    You can take defilers, though. Defilers! :P

Anime Owns on
  • CosmoCosmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I'm a big Dark Angels fan. My friend who plays chaos marines got me into the whole 40k universe, and I really took a liking to the Dark Angels. And with the new codex coming out, that only made me want them more. So I got some troops and have begun to painting a few of my guys. I think I'm doing pretty ok with the regular troops, but the deathwing I'm having trouble with. Anyone have any tips on painting Deathwing termies? Would be really helpful.

Heres my assault seargent

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/Piedragon/101_1046-1.jpg

Cosmo on
    edited March 2007
    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007

I've tried that one. I've concluded that I need to get some brown ink paint.

Cosmo on
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I manage with regular paint for my washes.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Yes, well...I need some brown paint.

Cosmo on
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to order those guys, pick up some blue paint, and get started as soon as possible. I'll start with a box of guard and chimaera, so I don't limit myself to either list.

Also, I need to start before I get seized by the urge to make a genestealer cult again.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Also, I need to start before I get seized by the urge to make a genestealer cult again.

gscbrood6lw.jpg
    gscheretics4rv.jpg

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Genestealer Patriarch =P

Buying those hybrids would be a nightmare, though. Heck, even converting normal guard to hybrids would be tricky.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I had in mind just slapping some plastic Catachans and 'stealer parts together and having fun with the combinations. Maybe greenstuff some heads to be bulbous and such. Add 20 more cultists and that image represents about 1000pts if I recall. Nice thing is they can also take Chimeras.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Hehe, I love discussing armies that would be fun to make, but I would probably never attempt. Though I did try space skaven once, before then cutting off their bolters and turning them into slaves for my fantasy army. I actually did field a horde of them in a 1k battle, all infantry. They were MASSACRED by a sisters of battle army. XD

What would represent the standard 'stealers? Bloodletters? Can Lost and the Damned take Chaos Chosen? Some of those with power weapons and no guns might represent them well.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had in mind just slapping some plastic Catachans and 'stealer parts together and having fun with the combinations. Maybe greenstuff some heads to be bulbous and such. Add 20 more cultists and that image represents about 1000pts if I recall. Nice thing is they can also take Chimeras.
    I used cadians for my stealer hybrids and they worked pretty well. Catachans would work well too. Also mixing in bits of gaunts and chaos mutation sprue helps mix it up a bit.

-SPI- on
    edited March 2007
    Hehe, I love discussing armies that would be fun to make, but I would probably never attempt. Though I did try space skaven once, before then cutting off their bolters and turning them into slaves for my fantasy army. I actually did field a horde of them in a 1k battle, all infantry. They were MASSACRED by a sisters of battle army. XD

What would represent the standard 'stealers? Bloodletters? Can Lost and the Damned take Chaos Chosen? Some of those with power weapons and no guns might represent them well.

It'd be an all-Genestealers nid army with Witchhunter adversaries. The only hangup would be it's only technically legal VS WH, but really, that's a minor issue I figure most would let slide in an average relaxed game.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Did someone say space skaven (hrud lol)!

28409534.jpg

28409550.jpg

Anime Owns on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That...

I...

What?

Not that it's not cool, but I can't imagine a use for those. They mostly just make me wish I could paint OSL
    Object Souce Lighting

Ein on
    edited March 2007
    I think the guy uses the Eldar rules, maybe? I'm not 100% on that.

There are a ton more pictures, but I'm not about to rehost them all.

Anime Owns on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Somebody needs to find a use for that Frog-King guy. Sorceror of Tzeentch with his chosen? Tzeentch loves variety, I guess...

SUPERSUGA on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about as a frog-king? That is to say, a Slann...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    How about as a frog-king? That is to say, a Slann...
    But the Slann are already ridiculous frog things. You need to think outside the box.

Space Marine Primarch of the Webbed Fists.

SUPERSUGA on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope that, if we do see more info on the Hrud, that they actually move away from the 'Space Skaven' motif and make them unique enough on their own. I just think Orks and Eldar are so different from Orcs and Elves that it works.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I dl'd the lost and the damned from GW's site. It does seem a rather weak list without CSM support, compared to IG. Traitors are IG with -1 ld, for +2 points.

My list would look something like this:

HQ
    Chaos Lord Sorceror
    mark of tzeetch, doombolt, bolt of change, daemon sword, max apprentices

Troops
    10 traitors w/ heavy stubber, heavy bolter
    10 traitors w/ heavy stubber, heavy bolter
    10 traitors w/plasma gun, lascannon
    10 traitors w/plasma gun, lascannon
    20 mutants
    20 mutants

Fast Attack
    9 Rough Riders w/ hunting lances

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ - tank hunter, lascannon
    Leman Russ - anti infantry, 3 Heavy Bolters.
    Defiler

~1400 points

I dunno, it seems extremely dependant on the tanks, and other than the traitors, its just an IG army with mutants.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dl'd the lost and the damned from GW's site. It does seem a rather weak list without CSM support, compared to IG. Traitors are IG with -1 ld, for +2 points.

Are there any advantages to using them besides fluff? Guardsmen are already a pain in the ass at LD7 if they have no command bubble to support them, LD6 without the benefit of a vox or iron discipline system seems awfully risky.

Ralakan on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    I hope that, if we do see more info on the Hrud, that they actually move away from the 'Space Skaven' motif and make them unique enough on their own. I just think Orks and Eldar are so different from Orcs and Elves that it works.
    Most of the "Space Skaven" stuff comes from players who have decided that's what the Hrud are and have perpetuated that idea. GW have given very little info about the Hrud apart from on a number of occasions saying "They aren't space skaven"

-SPI- on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Hmm. Some guy nearby is selling some Gothic Ork ships.

2x Karriers
    2x Kroozers
    2x Ravagers (3 per pack)
    2x Savage Gunships (3 per pack)

Hmm hmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.