As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photos: If Looks Could Kill

2»

• Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Saying "I can't change x" doesn't make the image any better though does it?

You can minimise the chances of getting a bad shot through preperation (setting up the camera so it doesn't blow highlights or shooting raw or film so you have a higher dynamic range) for future situations or just choose the better images disregarding those that have problems (unless the subject matter is so important that these distractions don't matter in which case you no longer have a problem).

Martin Parr
    Henri Cartier Bresson
    Nan Goldin

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "ask the people to move out of the way during this arrest"

muord65j.jpg

problem solved? I dont really know photography techniques but Ive spent a lot of time studying composition from a drawing and painting aspect.

The picture was all about that arrest, so why in your presentation of it bother to keep all the other shit thats not really that interesting? (not that my cropping is ideal.. just to show a point)

Those few blurry people in the background give the same impression that, this is a picture that takes place outside with normal people walking around on the street as did when you showed a lot more of it..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Personally, I think the photonerds are just pissed because a newcomer is upstaging them without joining their insular little sub-sub community.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Personally, I think the photonerds are just pissed because a newcomer is upstaging them without joining their insular little sub-sub community.

9 times out of ten I agree with you, but did you even read what the photo nerds wrote?

What JAmp said about the black and white distancing the viewer from what could be in your face moments of the grittier side of life is pretty spot on.

IF there isnt a conceptual reason for wanting to call up protests from the era when black and white was the norm, why do it?

edit: JAmp thanks for those links.. fucking cool shit

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If people find them interesting, moving and effective the way they are that's great, many people obviously do. I'm giving a photographers perspective and giving crits to try help further improve the images (what this forum is all about no?).

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009

I'm not really a photonerd. I could give a shit about the photo thread.

Iruka on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i see what they are saying, and i think that ken gave a good solution
    because you're right, you're capturing raw personality and emotion and that's something that's not going to wait around for your light meter or for perfect focus. And obviously, people like your subject matter a lot
    but when ken cropped that picture, i think it immediately added so much more to it.
    it took out the unnecessary details and broke it down to just that emotional moment. which lets the viewer take in so much more of it in so much less time.

Jamp and Jake are both fantastic photographers. their work is worth checking out if you haven't, and they know a lot about the art behind it. I agree with you and love your work so far, but please don't just pass them off, they are good dudes with loads of skill and experience.
    not saying you're not!
    but it's a community that's meant to get people learning from each other.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

9 times out of ten I agree with you, but did you even read what the photo nerds wrote?

What JAmp said about the black and white distancing the viewer from what could be in your face moments of the grittier side of life is pretty spot on.

IF there isnt a conceptual reason for wanting to call up protests from the era when black and white was the norm, why do it?

edit: JAmp thanks for those links.. fucking cool shit

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I think it was all good advice.

but I think that's part of the reason they're pissed.

Like how people work on their art all their lives and then get pissed when someone shits on a canvas and receives ass-pats galore.

At the same time, though, I do think they're a little too insular.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lautermilch: I'm not saying that street photography should look like its been shot in a studio. I really enjoy good photojournalism/street photography. You have a few good shots, but most are duff as street photography, in my opinion - you're welcome to ignore it, although I'm not misunderstanding what you're trying to do, or how difficult it is (I can post some candid street shots of my own if you like). I'm saying what I think you could do to improve, and you don't have to agree with that either.

You know when you see someone banging on about how they do manga, so they won't improve by learning anatomy? This is the photographic equivalent. Street photography may be a different style to studio work, fine art, performance, etc etc, but all forms of photography (hell, all forms of visual communication) have rules of composition. You don't always use them all, often you can't, but knowing them, and applying them when you can, makes the difference.

Jake! on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "the only bush i trust is my own"
    Goddamit Hippies are so cliche i wanna find a flip flop and slap the crap outta them

On another note
    63051567.jpg

This is fantastic

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Will Ferrell doesn't like homosexuals.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    dude did we scare you away? You have to have more of this stuff.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Great pictures, as said, not all of them are as well-composed as they would've been in a studio, but there still are some pretty powerful pics.
    Love the portrait of the woman who argued with you for 10 mins.

would love to see more of your work..

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    LautermilchLautermilch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    62431129.jpg

62795190.jpg
    60817389.jpg

62431161.jpg

64441312.jpg
    61005488.jpg

61705006.jpg
    60817359.jpg
    61034481.jpg

60455399.jpg

61616630.jpg

68291621.jpg

60817363.jpg
    61526467.jpg

68075330.jpg
    55455306.jpg

Lautermilch on
    Thinning The Herd
    http://thintheherd.info
    An H1N1/Swine Flu Pandemic Forum
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    See, I really like the guy on the floor. It's an excellent example of street photography; an interesting subject, shot from an interesting angle, properly framed. The rest not so much, although the kid holding the sign isn't bad, although you could do to crop closer, to cut out some of the distractions.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if i ever took pictures this awesome i would think i was the shit
    some of these are down right fantastic this one is so good

Local H Jay on