As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He belongs in a museum - Indiana Jones 5 on the way

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    ITT Josh uses a roundabout method to murder darkwarrior by instigating aneurysm with malicious quotation.

KABOOSH!

*Thud*

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ITT Josh uses a roundabout method to murder darkwarrior by instigating aneurysm with malicious quotation.

KABOOSH!

*Thud*

No wait, I'm not done. I blew up the dumbest part of it on the last page.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

KABOOSH!

*Thud*

No wait, I'm not done. I blew up the dumbest part of it on the last page.

I can't get deader. I absorbed your information and turned into sparkles.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Whats the name of the song in the soundtrack that contains the Grail theme?>

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So wait, Crystal Skull is actually Lucas's fault? Why am I not surprised.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think anybody can just point at Lucas and say it's all his fault. I mean, wait, yes they can.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Lucas is apparently obsessed with crystal skulls, which is why the script ended up being about them. :/ I don't know whose fault the fridge is, but I do know it was in the script in 1994, and in all of FOURTEEN YEARS noone had the good sense to take it out. I'm assuming one of either Spielberg or Lucas really liked it (for some completely ineffable reason), and I know which one my money's on.

Kester on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    I think some of you may be underestimating the degree to which spending multiple years poring through tomes dedicated to the myriad ways in which Nazis brutalized, humiliated, and murdered millions of people can affect you. I think it's pretty understandable that after staring that shit in the face for an extended period, "Ha ha, Nazis!" may lose a bit of luster.

It's not a question of the academic knowledge that Nazis did bad things. It's more the inability to look at a Nazi uniform without imagining a boxcar of emaciated Jews being hauled to the ovens.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think some of you may be underestimating the degree to which spending multiple years poring through tomes dedicated to the myriad ways in which Nazis brutalized, humiliated, and murdered millions of people can affect you. I think it's pretty understandable that after staring that shit in the face for an extended period, "Ha ha, Nazis!" may lose a bit of luster.

It's not a question of the academic knowledge that Nazis did bad things. It's more the inability to look at a Nazi uniform without imagining a boxcar of emaciated Jews being hauled to the ovens.

Well its time to suck it up because Russians ain't cutting it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Russians are perfectly serviceable villains. James Bond kicked their asses for decades and nobody complained. Not to mention the fact that Nazis in the 50s/60s is just going to look like they were desperate for ideas and just said "Fuck it we'll just do the nazis again".

And I can understand Spielberg's assertion that he couldn't really do the whole cartoon Nazi villain thing anymore. Making a movie is an extremely personal experience, just like writing a novel or any other creative endeavor, and Schindler's story is one that is one that would be very hard to forget, mostly because you realize that it would be wrong to do so.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For the record, while I still have problems with Spielberg's explanation *why* he couldn't do cartoon Nazis again (to me it does boil down to, "I'm ignorant enough not to understand that using communists as the bad guys is just as problematic"), I don't have any problems with Commies replacing the Nazis. I also don't have all that many problems with the crystal skull storyline, although I also prefer metaphysics to sci-fi in my Indiana Jones. I don't even mind Shia LaBoeuf.

To me, it really boils down to Spielberg failing to create any sense of jeopardy in the film. It was disappointingly tame.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have no problem not taking Nazis seriously. That's right. Make them fucking clowns in movies. Bumbling bad guys. Fuck Nazis, they deserve no respect.
    I also have no issue with the commies taking the place of the Nazis. Just make characters i want to dislike instead of ones i could care less about.

I believe with all of my soul that if the Indy series were handed off to Lucas in their entirety we'd eventually see a lightsaber in one of them. I don't think he could help himself!!

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If Spielberg can't handle Nazis then perhaps its time he realised he can't perform his duty and hand it over to someone who can. No reason to fuck up a film on your personal preference.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there some kind of law that says Indiana Jones has to fight the Nazis, specifically, even when if would make no sense, chronologically speaking, for them to be there?

Duffel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    James Bond kicked their asses for decades and nobody complained.
    That is because spy pulp fiction has completely different standards than the kind of pulp adventure fiction Indiana Jones is based on.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Is there some kind of law that says Indiana Jones has to fight the Nazis, specifically, even when if would make no sense, chronologically speaking, for them to be there?

There are Nazis alive today, its not non-sensical that thered be a contingent of htem running around after an artifact of power.

And they're good villains or have been anyway. I'm sure Lucas would fuck it up somehow.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hear what Spielberg is saying with the Nazi thing.

But it's funny to see him interviewed about Crystal Skull. In a very polite way he basically lays out how every terrible idea was Lucas' and Spielberg tried to convince him otherwise.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Now I see why he is obsessed with CGI and faking it. Look at that beard he's sporting as a faux-jawline.
    292px-George_Lucas_at_the_5th_Annual_Hip-Hop_Summit_Action_Network%27s_Action_Awards.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yar wrote: »

But it's funny to see him interviewed about Crystal Skull. In a very polite way he basically lays out how every terrible idea was Lucas' and Spielberg tried to convince him otherwise.

except he's bullshitting. Again, if I remember correctly, nuked fridge, and Shia's magical monkey ride are both Spielberg's ideas.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thing is, the Frank Darabont draft for Indy 4 (entitled Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods) takes most of Lucas' awful plot points and makes them work. That script is a wondrous thing, and could have been on a par with Raiders had it been filmed. Spielberg liked it, Ford liked it, but Lucas has a grudge against Darabont for Glod only knows what reason and so he veto'd the script.

If you can find the script for City of the Gods I'd seriously recommend sitting down and reading it. And if you can' find it, well, don't ask me.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The thing is, the Frank Darabont draft for Indy 4 (entitled Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods) takes most of Lucas' awful plot points and makes them work. That script is a wondrous thing, and could have been on a par with Raiders had it been filmed. Spielberg liked it, Ford liked it, but Lucas has a grudge against Darabont for Glod only knows what reason and so he veto'd the script.

If you can find the script for City of the Gods I'd seriously recommend sitting down and reading it. And if you can' find it, well, don't ask me.
    What was it about, exactly?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And then the Lucas interview boils down to:

"speelburg livs n teh past, k. i like computers & teh stuff they do. whooooooosh bang bang pow

also herrisun is not 2 old kthxbye."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What was it about, exactly?
    It's more or less the same core plot - Crystal Skulls, crazy Russian lady wants them, oh hai Marian's back, etc. - but somehow it all comes together really nicely. Sometimes I will just sit and read the script for the fun of it. I don't often do that with screenplays (although I have re-read The Beaver a few times, mostly to try and wrap my head around it).

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nuking the fridge is now a term used for film criticism. When something "nukes the fridge", it has an absurd plot point or event that challenges the viewer's suspension of disbelief so much that the rest of the film suffers, sort of like jumping the shark before the film is even finished.

Also, because I'm a nerd, I went and researched whether lead-lined refrigerators even existed back then and came across something interesting. Apparently refrigerators were unable to open from the inside due to a latch and, though it was rare, occasionally a child would suffocate themselves by climbing into the fridge. Indy probably would have seen the refrigerator as a deathtrap and done something different.

I wouldn't have bothered to look it up at all if my willing suspension of disbelief hadn't been completely obliterated.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And then the Lucas interview boils down to:

"speelburg livs n teh past, k. i like computers & teh stuff they do. whooooooosh bang bang pow

also herrisun is not 2 old kthxbye."

Well, I guess he's not too old if the entire thing is filmed on a soundstage.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't think the script is all that great, honestly. It's sorta limp. What Spielberg eventually got his boy Koepp to crank out (ugh) isn't anything great, and the Darabont draft IS better, but I still think the movie would have failed on the same level Crystal Skull failed on.

I do wish the scene where Drunk Indy tries to evade campus security on his own campus had stayed in the film, though.

Lucas didn't have a grudge against Darabont, either. He just thought the script wasn't up to par. Darabont now has a huge grudge against Lucas for being a backseat driver and fucking him over, but Lucas wasn't rejecting Darabont's work over some previous wrongdoing. Many claimed it had something to do with Darabont turning down Lucas' offer to write/direct Episode I early in it's gestational period, but there was no animosity, and Darabont was one of the inner circle invited to give feedback on early cuts of that film.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It would be a fun game to come up with a movie and guess upon how Lucas would "improve" it.

Mostly it would boil down to laser guns and forced love scenes.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly didn't hate the fridge part. then again, I only saw it in theaters, and might be less accepting on a second viewing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can you imagine if Firefly came back on the condition that Lucas directed?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah the fridge part is something that nerds really get their panties wrinkled up about but most people just kind of thought was over the top in a good-natured way.

Yar on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rogue_K wrote: »
    It would be a fun game to come up with a movie and guess upon how Lucas would "improve" it.

Mostly it would boil down to laser guns and forced love scenes.

a fun game constantly "played" by me and my friends. but I of course hav no examples.

editing in people or dialog or events... a lot of freedom really.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I never saw any of the new star wars movies except for Episode 1, and haven't seen the originals in about a decade...

So, for those of us who are uninformed, what exactly does Lucas do that is so characteristically bad? It's hard to say with Indy because those movies are usually pretty fun and they're co-directed with Spielberg anyway.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I can't find a YouTube video of Jabba the Hutt being digitized into the original Star Wars, but if anybody else can, that was the most heinous thing to me.

He was half the size he was in RotJ and lame and cutesy and digital.

And Han steps on his tail. It was retarded.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I never saw any of the new star wars movies except for Episode 1, and haven't seen the originals in about a decade...

So, for those of us who are uninformed, what exactly does Lucas do that is so characteristically bad? It's hard to say with Indy because those movies are usually pretty fun and they're co-directed with Spielberg anyway.

Star Wars 1-3.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I honestly didn't hate the fridge part. then again, I only saw it in theaters, and might be less accepting on a second viewing.

Indi really bothered me on the second viewing, but that scene didn't stand out.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Well its time to suck it up because Russians ain't cutting it.
    I agree.

Indy should time travel / become frozen and end up in the future and fight Islamofascists.

You could even keep the palm tree-swastika logo from the third movie.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Where's the Spielberg interview you guys were talking about.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Return of the Jedi.

Also, Duffel, Lucas has never co-directed an Indiana Jones movie. he's shot some 2nd Unit stuff.
    What exactly is his contribution? I'd always just heard their two names associated with it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can you imagine if Firefly came back on the condition that Lucas directed?

Couldn't be any worse than Serenity ooooooooooh diss

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lucas was the story guy and the money guy.

Fatboy Roberts on