As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Out of curiosity: Are you familiar with Warhammer and the nature of Chaos as depicted therein?

Because, depending on how deep they go into the background in the rulebook, reading through it the first time is going to be ...interesting, I think.

There are no hermaphroditic demons

this is an outrage

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Out of curiosity: Are you familiar with Warhammer and the nature of Chaos as depicted therein?

Because, depending on how deep they go into the background in the rulebook, reading through it the first time is going to be ...interesting, I think.

There are no hermaphroditic demons

No mention of hermaphroditic demons does not mean the non-existence of hermaphroditic demons.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The more I read the rules the more I am convinced that I could have played Nurgle so much better than I actually did.

I can't wait to play the game again.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think we're going to play some Chaos tomorrow. How long did the games take?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Played Chaos last night as Tzeench. It was fun. I had a brainfart early on and tried fighting. Then I realized I had more cultists than everyone else.

Yeees.

Too bad we all lost thanks to Franz fucking us over with an edict that made the Old World deck tap out.

That said, it did feel like I was playing as the Changer of Ways. Just as planned and all that. Plus, canceling out other people's card powers, making it hard to summon into my zones, etc etc etc. Good stuff. If it wasn't for the fact that Franz's edict ran the deck out, Khorne would've won. He was killing people left and right and was one dial advancement away from winning. It got to the point where we were forced to GTFO out of his way.

Half the board was covered in Hero tokens, too. Heroes, Dark Elf Raiders, and Skaven were mucking up the board for half the game thanks to a ton of non-persistent event cards.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if you dudes want to see what Betrayal is all about, now's a good time to follow the PbP thread. The Haunt is on, and it's a good one.

Also, my LGS got in copies of Arkham Horror and A Touch of Evil this week. Both have been on my radar thanks to this thread, but both are too goddamned expensive. I may have to splurge for a fresh Halloween game.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    God JUST REPRINT BETRAYAL. Once, like space hulk. I'll pay 100 bucks for a new, revised copy.

I..I just want it so bad.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't want to clog up the Betrayal thread, I just want to remind everyone that reserves for the current round totally have dibs on slots in the next round, if there is one. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quick question - which is easier for a non-gamer, Agricola or Citadels? I want to try and get my wife into one of these.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd say Citadels. It's simple, fun and not too gamey.

shryke on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is anybody going to be in Essen this year? Thanks to some ridiculously cheap flights, I might be wandering the halls ogling at all the new games. :-)

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    I'd say Citadels. It's simple, fun and not too gamey.

Citadels is quicker and easier to pick up and play. Agricola is a better game, but it is a good bit more complex.

In Citadels, each player chooses a role each round; when your role is called they take an action (either receiving 2 gold or drawing two cards, keeping one and putting the other on the bottom of the deck), can build one building, and use their special ability. That's it. But it is a bluffing game, trying to figure out which characters will be picked so that you can use the special abilities most effectively.

(In a 2p or 3p game, each player takes two roles each round.)

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Citadels boughted.

German version with Japanese cheatsheet coz I live in Japan.

Hmm, think I'm gonna find some English rules online.

I also saw a small magnetic portable Cataan for bugger-all money, so I'll get that too soon.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Citadels boughted.

I also saw a small magnetic portable Cataan for bugger-all money, so I'll get that too soon.

From a quick look through the BGG files area, these should contain everything you need.

Character summary:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32684

Rules summary:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/27377

Purple abilities for German edition owners:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24756

Universal Head reference for Citadels:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/18772

Darian on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can anyone tell me about the fun & quality or lack thereof of Dwarven Dig?

It's... uh... not so good. It was the first "real" boardgame I bought, and I think we've maybe played it twice in four years. I can't even remember the specifics of how it's played... just a general sense of dread and horror.

edit: it seems that they're either planning to reissue & streamline this or have already. I've only played the old (hideous) version of this game.

I played the 2nd Edition of this game last night, the 2003 version with glossy cardboard tiles and silver glass bead Grit markers. It is not very good either.

I'd say my biggest frustrations were the fickleness of digging and the inherent disadvantages of splitting the party (despite the number of rules involving party-splitting, there seemed to be hardly any reason you'd want to). It seemed to result in half the players B-lining towards the treasure and half getting stuck on basalt walls that needed 5+ to pass (and since your opponents pick how your next tiles are arranged, you're invariably going to get the tougher basalt walls lined up in your path).

Too random, too much reliance on charts, too simple for variety of gameplay. I've played worse, but it was an hour better spent elsewhere.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From yesterday's news posts:
    Gabe wrote:
    Also I wanted to post a quick list of some of my favorite things from PAX this year.

Arcane Legions- This is a really fun table top strategy game. It's extremely easy to get into and just smartly designed.

Dominion - This is sort of like a CCG except that all the cards come in the box and constructing your deck is actually the game.

Dominion is indeed great; I'm not familiar with Arcane Legions, though. Thoughts on that one? Is it a board game or is it something else?

edit: Just checked BGG; it comes/came out this month. Has anyone played it?
    Gameplay:
    If you ever wondered what happened to the guys from WizKids just take a look at this game and you will know what they have been doing with the downtime after WizKids closed their doors.

Players each field "bases" of variable sizes (Sortie/small and Formation/large) with individual figures inserted into starting positions on the base. The goal is to control victory point areas and inflict losses on the opponent. Movement and battle resolution are conducted through a unique formation management mechanic that allows players to move figures around on the unit bases to increase either movement/melee/ranged combat at the cost of losing capabilities in the other areas.

Currently wrapping up playtesting as of May 2009. Arcane Legions will be available in September of 2009. Initially, look for 3 different factions (Egyptians, Romans, and Han Dynasty).

Figures are highly detailed true 25mm made from PVC 105. Common figures are unpainted with colored tempo prints on banners and shields, while all the uncommon, rare and Commander figures (Booster Pack contents) are fully pre-painted. The game is designed to use both types. There are 9 different unpainted common figures for each faction and at least 20 different fully painted premium figures for each faction. If you buy a legion bundle of a faction you receive around 70 prepainted figures, whereas buying one of each army pack gets you about 54 unpainted figures.

With more than 110 figures, the Starter Pack includes small armies for all three factions and enough formation bases, sortie bases and base cards for a complete two player game - all for $34.99

The Army Packs contain 40 common soldiers - $14.99

The Cavalry Packs contain 15 mounted figures - $14.99

The Booster Packs contain 5-10 (depending on the size) Leader / special figures and their associated base cards, plus five additional formation base cards for use with figures from the Army and Cavalry Packs - $11.99

All Arcane Legions products (with the exception of the Starter) can be purchased faction specific.

Looks like it is doing for collectible miniatures games the same sort of thing that FFG's Living Card Games are trying to do for CCGs. I'll have to see if my local store is looking into this.

Darian on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if it plays that well. I sort of suspect that if Gabe likes it and thinks it's simple, it might be very, very simple, based on his general avoidance of tabletoppery.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As far as I can tell, it comes out in the UK on the 30th.

[EDIT: the official website says the worldwide release is the 7th October]

It does look good though (and not bad value at ~£20 for a 2 player starter set)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Reviews seem generally positive, but it is in fact a collectible miniatures game. Probably not going to be my thing.
    boosters are random
    BUT
    they are faction specific
    AND
    if you buy a sealed box of 8 boosters you will get a full set.
    HOWEVER
    you will still need to earn exclusive play support figures.

People in the reviews are saying $170 gets you all the figures for one of the factions.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Of course that takes the thrill of collectibility out, and leaves you with a $340 two-person board game. A board game which is probably not perfectly designed enough to warrant that.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, someone talk me out of driving to my LGS right now and buying AGOT. :P

My financial aide money is in and I won't be able to go this wen. since i have a test on thursday i will be studying for.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay, someone talk me out of driving to my LGS right now and buying AGOT. :P

My financial aide money is in and I won't be able to go this wen. since i have a test on thursday i will be studying for.

You mean the A Game of Thrones boardgame?

It's not the greatest. It's essentially like Diplomacy, but with a more annoying map.

The original addition needs some rules added on to make it work properly and the whole game is extremely UNaction packed and often the guy who wins can be so far from you on the board that you never had any chance of effecting the outcome of the game.

shryke on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too late! The deed has been done.

I now own AGOT and both its expansions. I can't wait to give the IRL game a shot this weekend.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The first expansion fixes everything about the game except the stretched out map issue. Play with it.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    New game out from the creator of Citadels: Ad Astra
    Build your space civilization as humanity travels to new stars and meets the weird artifacts of ancient alien races! In Ad Astra you will explore new planets, exploit their resources and set your own goals to create the most advanced space colonies. Using an innovative turn-planning system, Ad Astra is the first game in our “Designer’s Collection”, which will feature original games from the best international authors.

Anyone know anything about this one?
    pic550703_md.jpg

Darian on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Been watching it out the corner of my eye for a while, and I have to say the more I learn about the mechanics the less it appeals to me.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Been watching it out the corner of my eye for a while, and I have to say the more I learn about the mechanics the less it appeals to me.

How so? Seems to have the RftG "each player chooses an action then everyone does it", but with real exploration (when your ships reach a new system, you can look at the planets there and then pick which one you're going to flip face up to reveal and interact with). It's being compared to Settlers in space, but you have control over when (and which) goods will be produced.

What is it about the mechanics which is turning you off?

edit: Session report

Darian on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been watching it to, but it seems like the reviews have been kind of mediocre. I'll probably wait until someone in one of my groups grabs it.

From the buzz it sounds like Endeavor is the best new exploration euro on the block. Me? I'll stick to Space Hulk, already have enough euros. :)

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't want to clog up the Betrayal thread, I just want to remind everyone that reserves for the current round totally have dibs on slots in the next round, if there is one. ;-)

Clogging?

I'm new to CF... is posting in a thread where you aren't one of the players frowned upon?

Because... uh... I've already done a lot of that.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So yeah, about how long should our first game of Chaos in the Old World take?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've been watching it to, but it seems like the reviews have been kind of mediocre. I'll probably wait until someone in one of my groups grabs it.

From the buzz it sounds like Endeavor is the best new exploration euro on the block. Me? I'll stick to Space Hulk, already have enough euros. :)

Play with me.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Clogging?

I'm new to CF... is posting in a thread where you aren't one of the players frowned upon?

Because... uh... I've already done a lot of that.

Nah, it's fine. It really only becomes a problem if a lot of people start doing it, so I try not to do it too often, just to err on the side of caution.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Play with me.

If you're near DFW, sure.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Play with me.

If you're near DFW, sure.

That's right by DC, totally.

Or... or... we could take video of each of our separate turns, then upload it to youtube and play back and forth that way!

Ok, I really need to find someone around here to play with.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    In Citadels, each player chooses a role each round; when your role is called they take an action (either receiving 2 gold or drawing two cards, keeping one and putting the other on the bottom of the deck), can build one building, and use their special ability. That's it. But it is a bluffing game, trying to figure out which characters will be picked so that you can use the special abilities most effectively.

We had really fun with this. My starting hand had four red districts (:winky:), so I plunked those down and then raked in gold in the next couple of rounds with the Warlord. I randomly picked other roles just to throw people off because I kept expecting a visit from the thief or assassin if I kept picking the Warlord, but much to everyone's surprise I got away with being the Warlord lots of times. Everyone else was busy trying to profit themselves rather than throwing spanners in someone else's gears.

I also had a situation where I had seven districts (the game ends when someone has eight), but two of them were one-pointers. I wanted the Warlord so I could destroy a one-pointer and build something more expensive there, but I also assumed that everyone else expected me to pick the Warlord and mess with me so I couldn't do that.

I ended with a calculated risk and finally built a yellow district, giving me one of each color (extra bonus points), leaving me tied with another player at 34 points, but I won since I played the game-ending move.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Citadels boughted.

From a quick look through the BGG files area, these should contain everything you need.

Character summary:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32684

Rules summary:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/27377

Purple abilities for German edition owners:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24756

Universal Head reference for Citadels:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/18772

Thank you very much, although I confess I found most of these already.

Also AGOT is awesome, because it mirrors the feel of the books so well.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Next possible purchases

Race for the Galaxy
    Runebound
    Agricola
    Lord of the Rings (the co-op one where you play as the hobbits)

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Next possible purchases

Race for the Galaxy
    Runebound
    Agricola
    Lord of the Rings (the co-op one where you play as the hobbits)

I haven't been overly thrilled with either Runebound or Lord of the Rings. Runebound has a solo adventurer feel to it, with random encounters making up the meat of the game. It went on for much longer than it was able to keep my interest. Lord of the Rings just hasn't seen much play time; there's nothing really wrong with it, but there's just always other things we'd rather play more. It is a pure co-op, though, so good if you have the right sort of group for that.

Agricola and RftG are both great, though.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    First game of Chaos successful. Everyone loved it and I (Nurgle) pulled out a last turn victory with 73 vps. That ruination upgrade card won it for me. It was a surprisingly close game the whole way through, and I'm pretty sure we were playing everything correctly. Took us awhile though.

It seems like Khorne REALLY has to work hard to get a dial victory. At best it would take 5 turns if I counted correctly. Technically it should be easy for him to out score everyone on dial advancements, but still.

edit: just to clarify, Khorne only gets one advancement token per region that he scores a kill in right? not for every kill he makes.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First game of Chaos successful. Everyone loved it and I (Nurgle) pulled out a last turn victory with 73 vps. That ruination upgrade card won it for me. It was a surprisingly close game the whole way through, and I'm pretty sure we were playing everything correctly. Took us awhile though.

It seems like Khorne REALLY has to work hard to get a dial victory. At best it would take 5 turns if I counted correctly. Technically it should be easy for him to out score everyone on dial advancements, but still.

Well, yes and no. Khorne's dial is longer but it also has the easiest condition by far. Khorne has the benefit of being able to take actions that simaltaneously help his dial and hurt his opponents dial. Killing models, namely cultists, either via his units or blood frenzy will help advance his dial while possibly keeping someone else from having the two cultists necessary to drop the two corruption tokens to advance their dial. Blood Frenzy doesn't even cost anything to boot. Battle Cry is also another way that Khorne can deny an area of the map the ability to generate any dial advancement for a player.

Were you guys playing with the FAQ/Errata that clarifies that Khorne only needs to kill one model per area to advance his dial while Slaanesh needs to drop two corruption tokens in an area with nobles/heros to advance his dial? This makes Khorne's life substantially easier.

And to be fair, yeah, it may take Khorne 5 turns minimum to win by dial advancement, but, the fastest dial (Slaanesh) can only manage a turn 4 victory via dial at best. Lastly, don't forget that a win by dial trumps a win by victory points, helping give Khorne an edge against nurgle.

Edit: Posted this before your edit:

Yes, Khorne gets one token per region that he scores at least one kill in. This means that Khorne wants to spread his carnage around as much as possible and people with weak combat troops (like nurgle) want to clump up to avoid given Khorne tons of dial advancement.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.