As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forget it, Jake! It's [Star Wars].

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sith, while being the best of the prequels, pales in comparison to Jedi. Sith is probably the best example of the prequel trilogy's missed potential. Lucas COULD have redeemed himself with it. The story practically wrote itself, but you STILL end up with stupid stuff like "death from a broken heart" and more plot holes with the original trilogy (and some horrible things shoehorned in to avoid/fix plot holes).

I'd rank them 5, 4, 6, 3, 1, 2. There are no redeeming factors for 2. I like the intro on Episode 1 (on board the trade federation ship) and the final duel, at least. And Liam Neeson.

Tomanta on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    return of the jedi was the best star wars movie hands down.

Dunadan019 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't like the Jedi, as a matter of principle.
    A self-policing religious order which has everything from telekinesis to mind manipulation? And every so often, their members go insane and kill everyone around them who's not magical? Yeah, who thought that was a good idea? Fuck them.

I don't really like Return of the Jedi either (Empire fan here).

That being said, I think it's better than Revenge of the Sith, even with all the Jedi getting whacked. If only because they skirt around the fact that the writing and acting comes off so badly in RotS, with only a few exceptions.

Plus, "she died of a broken heart". Good lord. That's even worse than having the Emperor barbecue his face in 5 minutes, rather than having him age stressfully over 20 years like every other long-standing dictator.

Synthesis on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ONLY A SITH THINKS IN ABSOLUTES

I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND WHICH APPARENTLY MEANS SOMETHING EVEN WHEN WE CAN BOTH JUMP 30 FEET

come on Sith was retarded

nexuscrawler on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The biggest faults against any of the Prequel films is twofold:

One, Lucas can't direct actors to save his life, as given by not only how many award-winning actors come off as wooden and incompetent in his films, but also how many other talented actors have no qualms in trashing him after working with him (see: Terrence Stamp, John Hurt, et al). This was not as evident in the original trilogy due to the combined works of Gary Kurtz, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, and (modestly) Richard Marquand, who brought their own skill set onboard to compensate for Lucas' lack of filmmaking talent. The Prequels, unfortunately, were solely the product of George Unfiltered.

Two, the stories of each prequel movie is functionally broken. None of them, on even brief examination, make any sense. They are full of holes, and entire plotlines serve only to separate characters or put into motion other senseless things. Nowhere is this worse than in Episode II, with Obi-Wan off on a quest that finds nothing out and Anakin acting creepy as hell on Naboo.

Those two things, in conjunction, are what ruin the prequels. You have uncharismatic actors saying poorly-writ and meaningless dialogue, performing tasks that don't have any urgency or demand, and plots that are barely even perfunctory to the events that unfold within them. It's like the entirety of the prequels are little more than a six-hour test footage reel for Lucas to show off to get funding for other movies (which he's not making, btw, no matter what he says, nor does he need the funding).

But then again, it's not really Lucas' fault. I don't think anyone cares less about Star Wars than Lucas, and that's okay. He doesn't now, and likely didn't ever, want to be a filmmaker. If he did, he'd try to make better films and make them more often, as he's certainly got the clout and money to do so. But he's a guy that didn't write or direct anything for over sixteen years, but did start up several tech divisions like THX, Skywalker Sound, Pixar, and ILM. So really, it's our fault for expecting the Star Wars Prequels to be good films, as upon cursory examination we had little evidence or precedent for jumping to that conclusion.

Atomika on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I thought I was the only one, hi5.

projectmayhem on
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess it kind of pisses me off that Lucas has said he'll never allow anyone else to make a Star Wars movie, since it's "his thing." This puts me in the morally questionable position of having to look forward to his death, at which time I expect the invisible hand to take over and hopefully deliver the property into the care of better filmmakers.

darthmix on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Both people can jump 30 feet in the air, ie they cancel each other out.

At some point, it's going to stop being about how far you can jump and what will let you kill the guy with least risk.

Which is smaller, controlled jumps.

I don't see what is so goddam hard about "Your thinking is a bit too black and white for my comfort mate" and "I've known you for a long time dude and you wont win in this position. Please don't do this, I don't want to hurt you!"

Anakin even replies with "Fuck you bitch I'm better than you"

This is really simple stuff.

Talk about overanalysis.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really if the prequel trilogy had had more badass space-dogfighting scenes I think I might give a shit about it.

It needed space-dogfighting and a Han Solo-esque character pretty badly. Fuck, show me Talon Karrde just starting out! Something!

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    And? I don't know why that matters, honestly. They represent Jedi, and Jedi represent good guys. Again it's not that complicated. The strength of the scene comes in the music, the visuals, the editing. The destruction of Alderaan was affecting, and you didn't know any of those people, either. I knew maybe 3 riders of Rohan and when they were getting hacked up in Lord of the Rings, the scene wasn't any less effective because the people dying weren't fleshed out characters.

Except that the Jedi are dicks.

Yes, yes they are.
    The destruction of Alderaan, I thought, was always supposed to be analogous to a specific element in World War II: the destruction of a city (Hiroshima or Nagasaki) with a single-action superweapon (the atomic bomb). The scale of Star Wars is much larger, in a galaxy of millions or billions of stars, a planet seems like a fitting analog to Dresden, Leningrad, Hiroshima, etc., in being totally obliterated.

Star Wars seems to draw so many very specific parallels to warfare of that time--carriers launching fighter-bombers, rather than long range missiles, turret guns, big-gun battleships facing off, torpedo runs. I think that makes sense?

Blowing up a planet is bad. Very bad (then again, I also have issues with the destruction of Nagasaki and Dresden). But I always assumed both sides blew up more (or less) occupied planets or moons with some regularity through a decade-long war if the strategic thinking justified it to them. Hell, ditching one large space dreadnought into a planet would be enough to kill off the entire population if done quickly. The Death Star just showed you could do it in an hour, not unlike an atomic bomb. Brutal efficiency is the stunning point, not ruthlessness and the willingness to destroy worlds--which already existed.

Okay, now I'm off topic....

EDIT: Top'ted. Darn.

Synthesis on
    edited September 2009
    darthmix wrote: »
    I guess it kind of pisses me off that Lucas has said he'll never allow anyone else to make a Star Wars movie, since it's "his thing." This puts me in the morally questionable position of having to look forward to his death, at which time I expect the invisible hand to take over and hopefully deliver the property into the care of better filmmakers.

I guess if I only have one beef with Lucas', it's his protection of this cashcow he doesn't care about artistically. It's almost like the parent of a star athlete who beats the child every time they need a new car.

The brand is safe, guy. Let someone else drive for a little while.

Atomika on
    edited September 2009

I guess if I only have one beef with Lucas', it's his protection of this cashcow he doesn't care about artistically. It's almost like the parent of a star athlete who beats the child every time they need a new car.

I wonder who you'd get to direct though.

I mean, there are lots of better directors. But Star Wars is...weird...maybe I'm just too unfamiliar with directors.

Synthesis on
    edited September 2009
    Han Solo-esque character

Which, honestly, could have been filled by any of the male protagonists (Kenobi, Skywalker, Organa), but isn't. Instead, everyone, everyone, is just completely fucking grim the whole time. Or Jar Jar.

I just finished a marathon session of HBO's Rome, and what an amazing show. It's completely grim and people die violently left and right, but there's always room for some nice black humor from Pullo or Vorenus that has me rolling.

It's hard to maintain a constant tone of gravity, and even more so when the plot is utterly meaningless.

Atomika on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everyone in the prequels talks like they're in a British business meeting. No one has any life to them whatsoever. There's not a single memorable character in any of the three movies. For Christ's sake, even SAMUEL JACKSON and CHRISTOPHER LEE are boring as shit.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    None of the prequels hold a fucking candle to any of the original movies. Anyone who says Jedi is worse than Sith needs to watch them again.

It pisses me off too, because those movies could and should have been really good, but Lucas insisted on taking the helm and he can't write, direct, or edit a movie for shit. It is entirely his fault - he knew when he made the original movies that he should have other people write and direct them; I'm not sure why he didn't do so this time.

No director on Earth would have turned down the opportunity to direct one of those movies.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Well, Spielberg and Darabont are the easy choices, as both worked extensively with Lucas in the past, and, you know, Lucas all but told the two of them he'd let them direct the Prequels and then reneged.

In that same line of thought, Francis Coppola share's much of Lucas' drive, considering he was Lucas' mentor in the early seventies.

But more modern guys? I'd gladly see Ridley Scott or Peter Weir approach a Star Wars film, as both know how to infuse epic material with intimacy. Pete Jackson wouldn't be terrible, but a bit on-the-nose, perhaps.

Atomika on
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I mean, there are lots of better directors. But Star Wars is...weird...maybe I'm just too unfamiliar with directors.
    Is Irvin Kershner still alive? We could give him another crack at it.

But seriously, these days studios seem to have pretty good luck giving these big movies with built-in fanbases to up-and-coming directors who've made smart indie films but never anything on this scale. So, maybe you do that. Give it to somebody who's talented and young and hungry and eager to prove himself.

darthmix on
    edited September 2009

Is Irvin Kershner still alive? We could give him another crack at it.

But seriously, these days studios seem to have pretty good luck giving these big movies with built-in fanbases to up-and-coming directors who've made smart indie films but never anything on this scale. So, maybe you do that. Give it to somebody who's talented and young and hungry and eager to prove himself.

It's bad luck to say this, but even then, "it'd be hard to do much worse".

Synthesis on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Oh god, imagine a Neill Blomkamp Star Wars.

fp__homer_drool.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited September 2009

fp__homer_drool.jpg

It could be worse.

Michael Bay Star Wars.

Actually, I can't even phantom that, so I'm not sure if it would be better or worse?

Synthesis on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

fp__homer_drool.jpg

It could be worse.

Michael Bay Star Wars.

Actually, I can't even phantom that, so I'm not sure if it would be better or worse?

The Star Destroyers would have truck nutz. Also, Jar Jar Binks would be in every movie.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

fp__homer_drool.jpg

It could be worse.

Michael Bay Star Wars.

The Star Destroyers would have truck nutz. Also, Jar Jar Binks would be in every movie.

Okay, so worse. Peter Jackson it is.

Synthesis on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I thought I was the only one, hi5.

Yes! We should start a club.

Also, my biggest problem with the 1-3, aside from how terrible the dialogue and the acting is, is the dependence on CGI. With 1 it wasn't so bad - there were a lot of scenes that needed to be done green-screen but the ones that could do without it didn't have it. By 3, almost the entire movie was CGI, even when it wasn't necessary. The aliens didn't come across the same either for me, being used to the puppets from the original trilogy.

Even the lightsaber duels suffered for it. Darth Maul had the naturally acrobatic Ray Park jumping around, but by 2 you have CGI Yoda bouncing off walls, and in 3 you've got Anakin and Obi Wan tearing apart a mining station on some lava planet. The fights became as ridiculous as Final Fantasy Advent Children's.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited September 2009

fp__homer_drool.jpg

It could be worse.

Michael Bay Star Wars.

I'd rather have Bay. With Jackson every movie in the series would be 14 hours long.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2009

fp__homer_drool.jpg

It could be worse.

Michael Bay Star Wars.

I'd rather have Bay. With Jackson every movie in the series would be 14 hours long.

I can walk out of a long movie. I can't walk out of Jar Jar Binks and a Corellian Corvette with truck nuts and some sort of anachronistic flag painted on the back. Not before the damage has been done.

Synthesis on
    edited September 2009

Even the lightsaber duels suffered for it. Darth Maul had the naturally acrobatic Ray Park jumping around, but by 2 you have CGI Yoda bouncing off walls, and in 3 you've got Anakin and Obi Wan tearing apart a mining station on some lava planet. The fights became as ridiculous as Final Fantasy Advent Children's.

GREATEST FORCE-RELATED EXPLOITS
    Original Trilogy: The Force lets you pull your lightsaber with telekinesis and aim missiles without a computer.
    Prequel Trilogy: The Force lets you throw platforms around with telekinesis.
    Tartakovsky's Clone Wars: The Force lets you super jump, run on walls and dismantle droids with telekinesis.
    The Force Unleashed: The Force lets you drag down Star Destroyers ZOMGWTFUX.

Hexmage-PA on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    they should just make KOTOR 2 into a movie. Or take the story and focus solely on Kreia. It would be good.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2009

GREATEST FORCE-RELATED EXPLOITS
    Original Trilogy: The Force lets you pull your lightsaber with telekinesis.
    Prequel Trilogy: The Force lets you throw platforms around with telekinesis.
    Tartakovsky's Clone Wars: The Force lets you super jump and run on walls.
    The Force Unleashed: The Force lets you drag down Star Destroyers ZOMGWTFUX.

Yeah. I hated those.
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    they should just make KOTOR 2 into a movie. Or take the story and focus solely on Kreia. It would be good.

Only if they included an ending.

Synthesis on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've actually started writing down ideas for remaking Star Wars. Because I'm an arrogant shit like that. (I am one of those people who believe that anyone could have written a better Episode I. And most people could have written a better prequel trilogy entirely.) That being said, I'd welcome a remake...if I trusted the people in charge.

I think what happened with the prequels is a little thing a certain over-cited website calls Protection From Editors. He was bankrolling the whole thing, so he could yea or nay everything. On top of the fact that it was his own story and he wasn't beholden to anyone anyway (unlike Peter Jackson, who was a. working with a beloved piece of fantasy and b. not using his own cash), that's a bad combination. Everyone can use constructive criticism.

Shadowen on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    None of the prequels hold a fucking candle to any of the original movies. Anyone who says Jedi is worse than Sith needs to watch them again.
    The new version of Jedi has that absolutely unbearably musical scene in Jabba's palace and that's as awful or worse than anything in Sith.

deadonthestreet on
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The new version of Jedi has that absolutely unbearably musical scene in Jabba's palace and that's as awful or worse than anything in Sith.

Of course the new versions are awful. They don't count.

Wait, no! I KNOW WHAT THIS MOVIE NEEDS. CG FLY BYS!

ProPatriaMori on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Of course the new versions are awful. They don't count.

Wait, no! I KNOW WHAT THIS MOVIE NEEDS. CG FLY BYS!

Now, now, there are some things I like about the special editions.

And some unforgivable sins that the above things don't nearly make up for.

Tomanta on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm throwing my hat in for Jedi beating Sith hands down.

Jedi had character... I enjoy Sith as the best of the prequels, but all it did was not fuck things up too bad. And maybe it was my age when I first watched them, but the ewoks dont annoy me.

You know what angers me? Flying R2.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Return of the Jedi.

Define "better".

Because your definition of "better" is atrociously incorrect.

_J_ on
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let me state a simple point, if George Lucas had stuck with wookiees on Endor instead of ewoks, we would not be having this discussion at all.

Seriously, that man must have a midget fetish or something.

DozingDragon on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can we all agree that the Clone Wars was above and beyond the biggest steam of shit from the series?

InHuman on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    InHuman wrote: »
    Can we all agree that the Clone Wars was above and beyond the biggest steam of shit from the series?

I seriously thought it was an ad for a video game for about thirty seconds the first time I saw the trailer in theaters. This is not to denigrate video game stories (PS:T 4 lyfe), but that opening bit with, "Kidnapped, Jabba the Hutt's son has been" was like something out of a bad mission briefing.

Which, I suppose, it was.

Shadowen on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    InHuman wrote: »

I dunno...have you seen the Christmas special?

_J_ on
  • SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The animated Clone Wars miniseries by the Samurai Jack guy was pretty good...

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Do you really want me to break down all the retarded shit in Return of the Jedi? C'mon. I'm not saying that they're great movies. I'm just saying that Revenge of the Sith is a better piece of filmmaking than Return of the Jedi is.

This is straight up the most retarded thing anyone has said in this thread or any other
    And this is coming from the dude with the "rape isn't painful" sig.

Hacksaw on
This discussion has been closed.