As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hauppauge HDPVR is a piece of shit. Or "How to not waste $200"

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
I've used hauppauge products for years now, and they've ranged from dodgy to decent, but with my latest purchase I'm ready to swear off the company for good. For those who don't know, the HDPVR is the only PVR on the market which will let you watch, and record, content from cable boxes uses the analogue hole. I had planned to use this thing to add some bitchin' HDTV support for my media PC.

Well, that would have been a-ok had they fucking finished the product. The current HDPVR feels like a fucking work in project. This is terrible. The first thing you get when you open the box is a piece of paper from Hauppauge stating that fucking nothing works with the HDPVR except for sage TV and their own media software.

Yeah, lets talk about their media software for a sec. Hauppauge usually provides a program called WinTV which lets you watch TV on your PC. Now, WinTV isn't the best program, but it works. Well, WinTV is NOT compatible with the HDPVR. You have to use another program, which, according to the net, Hauppauge outsourced out, called "TotalMedia Extreme." Let me say there isn't a god damned thing extreme about TotalMedia, except the frustration you'll experience. The program works, but it's barebones as all hell. You can't even go full fucking screen. What a worthless TV viewing program.

But none of that should matter, right? These things are for hobbiests, and hobbiests use 3rd party front-ends for their HTPC. Well, that brings up the other reason why this thing sucks - NOTHING FUCKING WORKS WITH IT. I normally use MediaPortal, which is a lightweight HTPC software. Users around the net claimed that by using some dodgy hacked 3rd party drivers, they can get the TV server to work. BULL-FUCKING-SHIT. A solid week of work and all I can see is a tiny strip of non-HD tv located on the right side of the screen.

But I'd be willing to try any other HTPC software just for functionality. Except they all fucking don't work. The HDPVR advertises that it works with Windows Media Center in windows 7 but not with Vista (yeah, real quality product, huh?), which is fine because I have Windows 7 and I'd been meaning to upgrade. So after a night of upgrading, I fire up WMC and bam - the thing doesn't fucking work. Again, Hauppauge's solution is to go with this hacked software from a company called DVB-link which will fool WMC into displaying the video... which cost $30.00. Fuck that, I downloaded a trial of the site and it worked... for like 30 minutes. Then I got an error and I haven't been able to make the video come back.

But lets go back to that price point thing - $30 for software required to make the hardware work? Are you fucking kidding me? This box is already TWO-HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARDS, why couldn't you team up with this company in the first place to provide WMC support instead of that fucking TotalMedia Extreme bullshit?

I've googled and tried a variety of other HTPC softwares - BeyondTV, XBMC, etc. None work. BeyondTV actually supports the HDPVR... the version in beta at least. Good luck getting that - you have to buy BeyondTV to get the beta, and it's $100. And word is the support is "terrible" to "sort-of-works." Ugh.

So that leaves me with their only other recommended software - SageTV. Now, I really fucking hate SageTV. I think it's an awful piece of software, and they should be ashamed that they have the gaull to sell the thing. I downloaded a demo and installed it, and true to hauppauge's word, it worked. Setting up the HDPVR on my SageTV was by far the easiest experience I've had with the HDPVR. Except the damn thing stutters and plays choppy, even while not recording. If the original source was 30 fps, I must be getting maybe 10, 15 fps. This is unacceptable - I have a fucking PC which plays Crysis on high! I don't have this problem with TotalMedia Extreme, and for the couple of minutes Media Center worked, it played back without a hitch.

I turn to google, and hauppauge says this is a known problem, and they think a drive update in the future might solve it. MIGHT? WHAT THE FUCK. Who releases shit like this? At such a price point.

Now you might think I did no research before buying this thing... and you're wrong. I followed it's development for a few years (because I wanted a fast way to transfer stuff from my cable box) and read a ton of glowing reviews. I'm convinced these people writing reviews are trying to convince themselves that the $200 they blew is justified, because this thing really is a piece of shit.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this fucking thing working, I'm all ears for the next 12-ish hours. After that, it goes back in the box, and then back to fry's where I'm gonna demand my $200 back.

Fuck this shit.

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think someone needs a hug.

Come here SonicRetard.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    TSR, you have just described every experience I have ever had getting HDTV into a home-built Media Center PC. It is always frustrating, you never quite get what you want out of it, and you found out you spent more than you would have in the end, had you just went with one of those pre-built rigs with the cablecard slots, that work right out of the box.

The whole home-build MCE rig thing is fucking dead, IMO.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well you can use CableCard in your custom-built HTPC now, though I still believe you need to wrangle with protected pathway DRM garbage. I've been following the HDPVR for a while now, but the support and ease of use I expected to materialize as the product developed just isn't here yet. It took them like 4 revisions to figure out they needed to cool the thing.

I've grown quite irritated with the state of the video content delivery. Recording TV and watching it later is just such a backwards way of doing things if you have a FIOS connection: you have to remember to schedule recording programs and record the ads, too and hope that your software has good commercial detection logic. Then find out that all the recordings have been locked down and you can't make that awesome montage video that you've been thinking about. And video on demand is this fractured, DRM-filled unfriendly minefield full of annoying interfaces or console-only access. I want to buy an .mp4 file of your show! Just let me do this. And a solution that promises to get around all this is apparently run by clowns.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    This is what is needed:

1) a livingroom wunderdevice that can stream videos from your PC
    2) The same device needs the ability to purchase shows one-off, or buy seasons/months for drastically reduced cost (like, more than 50% off per episode pricing)
    3) show full episodes for free with advertising a couple days after they air
    4) Be able to do internet streaming from major news outlets / sports channels, so the stuff that must be watched in real time can be.
    5) built in over the air ATSC tuner that can use the HDD for timeshift purposes.

Make that box 300 bucks or less, and I will be over it like flies on shit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hauppauge used to be the only game in town if you wanted TV on your PC, which gave them an ego and arrogance nearly as bad as Creative.
    They sell 3rd party re-badged cack and rely on customer laziness ans ignorance to avoid providing what they promise.

The latest example that pissed on my chips was their UK HDTV USB tuner. It's advertised as being UK terrestral HDTV 'ready' when in reality it'll only ever (maybe) work with the euro-mainland dvb-t signal.
    UK DVB-T will be using DVB-T2.

Also. their software is about 15 years out of date.

Fuck Hauppauge.
    Fuck em in the ear.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    no one else makes tv cards?

Really?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a Hauppauge HDPVR as well, although I mostly use it to record clips from my 360 or PS3 instead of using it to watch/record TV. The TotalMedia software is annoying, and I'd much prefer to capture directly into VirtualDub like I did with my old capture card, but it works well enough for my purposes. (And, as far as I can tell, there just isn't any other solution in that price range right now.)

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »

Really?

Oh damn that just reminded me of another reason they're terrible!
    I bought a Pinnacle USB-TV stick a few months back, just before Pinnacles TV products were sold to Hauppauge who immediately dropped support for all the Pinnacle stuff they'd bought the rights to.

Nice!

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »

Really?

It's a pretty tiny market even on a global scale. It's a hobbyist market. The last financials I remember for them was something around $100 million or so in total worldwide sales. Which sounds like a lot but do keep in mind that they are pretty much the only people in their market space. To give some perspective, another hobbyist company Games Workshop did $181 million in worldwide sales last year. So you're talking about a market smaller then miniatures gaming with much higher R&D costs and much higher support costs.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TSR. I wholeheartedly agree. However did you think it could be your specific hardwares fault? when nothing works, the card could be bad. Ive run into this before.

Not that hauppauge has had a great history with their hardware or tuners that is...

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009