As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damnit, nowhere local has the preorder box in stock.

Did anyone here preorder the game off Amazon and if so did they just e-mail you your preorder/beta code?

I want a physical copy of the game but I also want the head start and pre-order items.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I would also like to point out that your proposed "one world" solution would never work because they Elyos would never condescend to let the Asmodian filth sully the beautiful half-planet that is their birthright.

And so the war continues.....

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damnit, nowhere local has the preorder box in stock.

Did anyone here preorder the game off Amazon and if so did they just e-mail you your preorder/beta code?

I want a physical copy of the game but I also want the head start and pre-order items.

I did indeed pre-order through Amazon. Free shipping and everything. They will e-mail you your code.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
    edited September 2009
    awesome, thanks, i'll go do that right now

EDIT: Wow, only $5 for release day shipping. I hope it actually comes when it's supposed to. I've had problems with Amazon in the past.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if I pre-order through Amazon then get the code, does that mean there's no down-time between when the game opens and when I can start playing, even if the box doesn't actually get here day 1?

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009
    My understanding of when companies have done head starts is that there is a set day/time where if you don't enter a valid serial key from a release copy your account is suspended.

When that is, I don't know. I suspect it'd be release day or the day after.

EDIT: Quote from Ayase on the subject:
    The grace period is counted inside the Head Start, and the Head Start is contained within your preorder key. You will need to apply a retail key before the last day of Head Start ends (on the 22nd and 25th respectively for NA/EU). Retailers will to my knowledge ship the game with the aim of having it in your mailbox or local post office no later than Head Start. I don't want to speculate that they might arrive earlier, since I don't know what sort of margins retailers will be given. Hope that makes sense, and that I'm not missing any aspects of the question.

So there you go.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    So the code you get from Amazon is different from the valid serial key in question?

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009
    Yes, the code amazon sends is the preorder key that gives you access to preselection/headstart/preorder bonuses; the serial key from the game is the retail key that is just in every box to make an account.

I edited my above post with clarification from NCSoft on the subject.

EDIT: Also, I was in gamestop today and the guy kind of hinted to me that they had their Aion boxes already o_O but he didn't have any pre-order boxes left.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    Good to know. Any idea if ordering directly from NCSoft might have more lenient consequences?

EDIT: The only reason I ask is because I vaguely recall reading something to that effect, but am now having no luck finding confirmation.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009
    Ordering directly from NCSoft afaik is digital download only; so you're assured to have your retail code on release day at the latest.

I found a further post from Ayase after he inquired about the situation of some places shipping late:
    Q: Will you give retailers ample time to deliver the goods?
    A: Yes, we have released many games as an organization before and are making sure that distribution is well coordinated and planned out. Retail online/offline stores will definitely not be given zero margin. They should deliver this item on or before release day, ideally during or at the beginning Head Start.

Q: Will there be a grace period?
    A: The grace period is primarily counted within the Head Start, but we are looking into this to see if a slight extension is possible. I don't want to make any promises, but rest assured the item is on our agenda.

Q: What if I order via NCsoft's online store?
    A: Ordering via our online store ensures that your pre-purchase key is applied already, and that there is virtually no risk for a gap or late delivery. It should be automatic.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    Yessss. I can relax now, knowing that i can wait for more information on the fortress schedule thing and not suffer a shipping wait time as a result.

Thank you so much for your help, TDWH.

Silas Brown on
  • FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love when they give you a grace period. It lets people get their stuff through wonky mail deliveries and helps lazy jerks like me out who are too much of a bum to drive the few blocks to Fry's to pick it up on day one.

Fragarach on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, wait. I pre-ordered this through Gamestop - someone remind me again about how I get into the Head Start? I assume I'll be emailed a code?

interrobang on
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, wait. I pre-ordered this through Gamestop - someone remind me again about how I get into the Head Start? I assume I'll be emailed a code?

I way I understand it you should have received a key when you first pre-ordered, the key allowed you to get into the open beta, and then used for the upcoming preselection, head start and all the other bonuses. If you didn't get one then by email then you should get in touch with them soon so you'll be ready for preselection and the head start.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
    edited September 2009

You should have gotten a box with a credit card looking thing in it with a code on the back. You enter that on the NC Soft website when you're making your account and then download the client (9.2 gigs!) and you should be good to go. When you open your account on the NC Soft page your account should say 'Is my account ready for Aion launch? Yes! You're ready!' in the middle box.

Fragarach on
    edited September 2009
    Riqa wrote: »

I way I understand it you should have received a key when you first pre-ordered, the key allowed you to get into the open beta, and then used for the upcoming preselection, head start and all the other bonuses. If you didn't get one then by email then you should get in touch with them soon so you'll be ready for preselection and the head start.

So when Head Start and preselection opens up, I can use the same account name I used for open beta?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions/have been answered before, I'm just curious.

interrobang on
    edited September 2009

So when Head Start and preselection opens up, I can use the same account name I used for open beta?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions/have been answered before, I'm just curious.

Yup, if in doubt just go log in your PlayNC account and see if it has that giant red YES! You're ready! thinger.

Fragarach on
    edited September 2009
    Fragarach wrote: »

Yup, if in doubt just go log in your PlayNC account and see if it has that giant red YES! You're ready! thinger.

Well, it's a big ol' green YES YOU ARE READY WOO instead, but it's there.

Rockin'. Thanks.

interrobang on
    edited September 2009
    Blast you, colors! You've made a fool of me for the LAST TIME! THIS MEANS WAR, visible light spectrum!

Yeah, dunno how I confused red and green, but at least you're ready to rock and roll!

Fragarach on
  • OddsmakerOddsmaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what if mine says yes in mauve?

Oddsmaker on
    edited September 2009
    Goddamn, Ayase has me on nerves. 30 minutes ago he tweeted "Got good news. Really good news ;)"

Just now he tweeted "In the morning. Sleep tight, folks ;) "

TELL ME! TELL ME!

Silas Brown on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am pretty sure the party that killed the Balaur is as yet unrevealed.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Azphel and his cronies were present, and their faces showed their anger and displeasure. The peace conference began, and for a short time, negotiations progressed well.

In a moment's breath, that changed.

We still speak of the events that followed that day, of the sudden shouts of panic. A sickening certainty gripped us that the warmongers had decided that they would have their way even if they had to sacrifice all of Atreia to achieve it. Azphel moved swiftly and suddenly, and one of the Dragon Lords collapsed. The Balaur did not waste time with words. In an instant, carnage and chaos reigned.
    I saw the mistrust and anger that I felt in my fellow legionaries as the Balaur walked into the Tower. How could our Lords' convictions have been so weak as to let these beasts, who wanted us to kneel before them even now, negotiate with us? I turned to my most trusted centurion to speak with him, in that moment, everything changed. The crowd shouted and milled about in startled confusion. One of the Balaur had fallen, and Lord Azphel was standing ready to fight, his eyes blazing.

Strato on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, everything is the Asmodians fault, and that's why they cut themselves and listen to the Cure?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, everything is the Asmodians fault, and that's why they cut themselves and listen to the Cure?

Basically.

interrobang on
  • AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    all the lore is on aion's website. that's where i read it. read the story of the cataclysm the the diaries of both sides and that's all you need.

Algorefiend on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there an official server list out there somewhere for pre-launch?

Does the PA guild have one chosen?

I need to know where to quickly click on Saturday night to reserve my names.

GPIA7R on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We're all waiting for the fortress info before confirming server placement.

And about the lore: who exactly whacked the Balaur lord is left intentionally vague. Sure, it sounds like an Asmodian thing to do, but I somehow doubt that the Asmos wouldn't take credit for the kill if it were theirs. Who knows.

Signs point to Asphel, but since nobody's talking, the truth of the matter is still somewhat shrouded in mystery.

Ender on
  • SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goddamn, Ayase has me on nerves. 30 minutes ago he tweeted "Got good news. Really good news ;)"

Just now he tweeted "In the morning. Sleep tight, folks ;) "

TELL ME! TELL ME!

Calling it now: GameGuard is out.

Spindrift on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Flying SM pets, coming soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9SbUUQt84

Also, the just translated notes for either 1.6 or a hotfix implements a nice anti-botting feature:

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/aion-di ... -09-a.html

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    your link is broken there

The Dude With Herpes on

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    your link is broken there

Working link

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if the spiritmaster thing is Ayase's good news.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    I wonder if the spiritmaster thing is Ayase's good news.

I'd rather it was dropping gameguard in light of the Captcha on gathering but that would be cool as well :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    It would be nice, yes; it just seems awfully close to launch for that to happen.

Does the Korean version have Gameguard?

The Dude With Herpes on

• EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    So I just bought AION on Steam. Do they email me whatever I need to start the game the 20th? The game doesn't show up in my games list.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited September 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    So I just bought AION on Steam. Do they email me whatever I need to start the game the 20th? The game doesn't show up in my games list.

Showed up in mine as soon as I purchased it and directed me through to the ncsoft site with an embedded key to register.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Showed up in mine as soon as I purchased it and directed me through to the ncsoft site with an embedded key to register.

Well the game just showed up I guess I install it..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited September 2009
    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    aww thats lame. (no pun intended) you got a few days to get installed and patched up though

Algorefiend on