As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My friend will be happy about the SM pets.

Strato on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I won't be able to check Twitter all day at work. If Ayase ever opens his smug mouth and fills us in, would someone mind letting me know?

Silas Brown on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is all so far
    There is more happy info coming in a bit, but I might not be the messenger. Just stick around and keep your eyes sharpened - I'll relay. :)
    half a minute ago from Seesmic

First off, I'm able to confirm that the grace period for applying your #Aion retail key after Head Start *ends* is 24 hours.
    30 minutes ago from Seesmic

Actually, a few things coming your way this morning.
    37 minutes ago from Seesmic

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    So I just bought AION on Steam. Do they email me whatever I need to start the game the 20th? The game doesn't show up in my games list.

Showed up in mine as soon as I purchased it and directed me through to the ncsoft site with an embedded key to register.

I don't know how steam is handling it but I just checked the Amazon site having not gotten my key yet and it states that the next "round" of preorder keys will be going out the 18th and the 19th is the last day from them to get a preorder key.

That's fine I suppose, as long as I get it for the headstart. Reserving my names would be a perk but I usually use names that aren't very common anyway and I've never had an issue getting them in a game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2009
    It's a good start. His tone implies that he's getting more freedom to give more actual info and less vague assurances.

Shit, I'm analyzing tweets. I really should just preorder this game because I'm already neck-deep in it.

Silas Brown on
  • AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a good start. His tone implies that he's getting more freedom to give more actual info and less vague assurances.

Shit, I'm analyzing tweets. I really should just preorder this game because I'm already neck-deep in it.

I agree hahaha

Algorefiend on
    edited September 2009

Just for you :D
    aion_ayaseWriting exciting news item. We'll see how soon I'll be able to get it posted. *frenzied giggle*
    7 minutes ago from Seesmic

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Strato wrote: »
    Azphel and his cronies were present, and their faces showed their anger and displeasure. The peace conference began, and for a short time, negotiations progressed well.

In a moment's breath, that changed.

We still speak of the events that followed that day, of the sudden shouts of panic. A sickening certainty gripped us that the warmongers had decided that they would have their way even if they had to sacrifice all of Atreia to achieve it. Azphel moved swiftly and suddenly, and one of the Dragon Lords collapsed. The Balaur did not waste time with words. In an instant, carnage and chaos reigned.
    I saw the mistrust and anger that I felt in my fellow legionaries as the Balaur walked into the Tower. How could our Lords' convictions have been so weak as to let these beasts, who wanted us to kneel before them even now, negotiate with us? I turned to my most trusted centurion to speak with him, in that moment, everything changed. The crowd shouted and milled about in startled confusion. One of the Balaur had fallen, and Lord Azphel was standing ready to fight, his eyes blazing.

guessivegotbrainproblem.jpg

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2009
    Adda wrote: »

Just for you :D
    aion_ayaseWriting exciting news item. We'll see how soon I'll be able to get it posted. *frenzied giggle*
    7 minutes ago from Seesmic

Jesus fuck. It's like Ayase enjoys getting people to loathe his drawn out response times or something.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009
    Nothing is going to be worth that much teasing.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »

I'd bet solid money that it's just going to be an announcement of the 1.6 patch and SMs getting flying pets. Which is cool, but jeez they can lighten up on trying to drum up anticipation. The only thing that really would be with that much teasing would be an announcement that GameGuard was canned. I wouldn't get your hopes up on that one.

Raiek on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    So I bought the game on steam and NCsoft sent me a beta key. Is this what I need to register to get into the prevents?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited September 2009

I'm hoping for some solid answers on the fortress scheduling plan. Otherwise I wouldn't even be paying attention to the guy. He's gone from being cute to just plain obnoxious. Seriously, the dude is getting paid to be a smug douche.

Silas Brown on
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm hoping for some solid answers on the fortress scheduling plan. Otherwise I wouldn't even be paying attention to the guy. He's gone from being cute to just plain obnoxious. Seriously, the dude is getting paid to be a smug douche.

Can you summarize for me really briefly the controversy over the Fortress capture schedule? Haven't they already said the rotation will be optimized for prime-time (presumably 6p.m. - midnight) for whichever time zone the server is marked? What's the problem? Just pick a server which matches your time zone and all is well. If your clan is spread across different zones some of your members may have to stay up an extra couple of hours or only participate in the fight over most of the fortresses instead of all. Again, what's the problem?

I can understand the Australians being upset, but I really don't see how this is a problem for U.S. players?

Mandres on
    edited September 2009
    Mandres wrote: »

Can you summarize for me really briefly the controversy over the Fortress capture schedule? Haven't they already said the rotation will be optimized for prime-time (presumably 6p.m. - midnight) for whichever time zone the server is marked? What's the problem? Just pick a server which matches your time zone and all is well. If your clan is spread across different zones some of your members may have to stay up an extra couple of hours or only participate in the fight over most of the fortresses instead of all. Again, what's the problem?

I can understand the Australians being upset, but I really don't see how this is a problem for U.S. players?

People who work shifts.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009

It's hard to explain. The biggest issue is all we have is speculation.

With only two supported time zones and lots of players across the country working jobs at various hours, it's just not practical for large legions if the fortress capture times are incredibly limited.

Me, I'm pretty okay. I'm in Alaska Time and work a 9-5 job, so as long as I have about half an hour after work, I'll probably be fine. But I want some solid, actual information instead of speculation before I commit to a purchase.

Okay, I'm not okay. While I'm handling it sanely, I'm so enamored with this game that I'm very very very very eager to get the word. I've been so close to prematurely purchasing the game for the last three days.

Silas Brown on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should just count on the worst-case scenario - if that ends up being incorrect, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited September 2009
    also i read somewhere that theres a cap on the number of persons a legion can hold so if it fills up we'd have to split off anyway.

Edit: though that doesn't help being stuck on a server so my point is moot.

Algorefiend on
    edited September 2009
    Also, the whole fortress shedule thing won't even be an issue until probably 4 months from now when enough people are finally reaching the levels necessary to even begin thinking about putting together an attack force. I'm sure that if things aren't working well at that point they'll have had plenty of time to rethink the system. I just can't understand why anyone would consider this to be a make-or-break issue when it comes to buying the game. The whole thing has been blown ridiculously out of proportion.

Mandres on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Flying SM pets, coming soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9SbUUQt84

Also, the just translated notes for either 1.6 or a hotfix implements a nice anti-botting feature:

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/aion-di ... -09-a.html

Looks like I'm rolling a Spiritmaster along with my Chanter then. The only gripe I had with the SM was the lack of flying pets.

ghost_master2000 on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goddamnit...I need to stop thinking about this game.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the key thing keeping me from SM's was the non-flying pets. Now, suddenly, there's flying pets? D:

Well, at least I can console myself with the inane "one debuff only" stupidity that is SM dots.

Ender on
    edited September 2009
    Also, the whole fortress shedule thing won't even be an issue until probably 4 months from now when enough people are finally reaching the levels necessary to even begin thinking about putting together an attack force. I'm sure that if things aren't working well at that point they'll have had plenty of time to rethink the system. I just can't understand why anyone would consider this to be a make-or-break issue when it comes to buying the game. The whole thing has been blown ridiculously out of proportion.

If I'm sounding like "rabble rabble rabble," it's only because I'm insanely excited. That being said, I don't like counting on an MMO company to eventually get it right when considering a major purchase. I know the game now won't be the same as the game 4 months from now, but I don't know that the changes will address what is important to me.

Because really, I am one potential subscriber. My personal issue is not really relevant unless it is a big problem, and even then there may be bigger ones.

If it doesn't work now, but works 4 months from now, then I'll buy it 4 months from now. Yeah, I could have spent that 4 months levelling and enjoying the game, but I would not have known until then.

So yeah, sorry if I'm doing a little too much "rabble rabble rabble." I'm not trying to contribute to the ridiculous outcry.

I'm just really excited for this game.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009

These are the words of someone already fully committed to the game. You can practically hear the cogs in his brain whirring as he rationalizes his purchase.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    got the pre order - will be joining people on some random euro realm - haven't trawled the thread yet. Undecided on the char though - played a gladiator in beta - i was not overwhelmed. Part of me wants to be a ranger but i am quite shallow and want to be liked so i'd rather not play a class that generates utter hatred from even members of the same faction due to the type of arses that would play said class (I was a shaman in wow since day one so the old cross factional hate was all fine)

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think fortresses are a 4-month thing, you can enter the Abyss at 25 and the hardcore players will have probably hit that by the end of the headstart.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited September 2009

If I'm sounding like "rabble rabble rabble," it's only because I'm insanely excited. That being said, I don't like counting on an MMO company to eventually get it right when considering a major purchase. I know the game now won't be the same as the game 4 months from now, but I don't know that the changes will address what is important to me.

Because really, I am one potential subscriber. My personal issue is not really relevant unless it is a big problem, and even then there may be bigger ones.

If it doesn't work now, but works 4 months from now, then I'll buy it 4 months from now. Yeah, I could have spent that 4 months levelling and enjoying the game, but I would not have known until then.

So yeah, sorry if I'm doing a little too much "rabble rabble rabble." I'm not trying to contribute to the ridiculous outcry.

I'm just really excited for this game.

Sorry, I was way too harsh. I wasn't even really responding to your points so much as the screaming children in the mega-thread at the Aion source forum; which wasn't fair at all.

I'm honestly just concerned that people who haven't played the game, and don't really understand what this specific issue is even about, are going to see a wall of complaints like "big legions won't be able to play the end game together" and decide that Aion sucks. I definitely understand your concern if you work a non-standard schedule, but I also want the uninformed masses to understand that for 98% of the playerbase this is a complete non-issue.

Mandres on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    I don't think fortresses are a 4-month thing, you can enter the Abyss at 25 and the hardcore players will have probably hit that by the end of the headstart.

Not a snowball's chance in hell of taking a fortress at 25.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

You would have to play 12 hours a day and have had to play the beta to do that.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited September 2009
    ok so i think a reiteration in the OP and/or on the legion website as to which servers we'll be using for each faction might be in order if that hasn't already been done. threads up to eleven pages so finding it might be an issue for some

Algorefiend on
  • SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »

You would have to play 12 hours a day and have had to play the beta to do that.

Isn't that what hardcore players do?

Spindrift on
    edited September 2009
    ok so i think a reiteration in the OP and/or on the legion website as to which servers we'll be using for each faction might be in order if that hasn't already been done. threads up to eleven pages so finding it might be an issue for some

I don't know that a consensus has actually been reached on this.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2009

yeah with preselection Friday i think its high time to get 'er done. as it were.

Algorefiend on
    edited September 2009

yeah with preselection Friday i think its high time to get 'er done. as it were.

We're holding out for information on fortress sieges and whatever.

Spindrift on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm honestly just concerned that people who haven't played the game, and don't really understand what this specific issue is even about, are going to see a wall of complaints like "big legions won't be able to play the end game together" and decide that Aion sucks. I definitely understand your concern if you work a non-standard schedule, but I also want the uninformed masses to understand that for 98% of the playerbase this is a complete non-issue.

I sincerely hope you are correct and this turns out to be a non-issue.

IF NCsoft uses the same fortress schedule as they have on the Korean and Chinese servers, then I can see this being an issue for about -half- of the playerbase. That is, everyone that isn't a college student with extremely flexible hours.

Speaking solely for myself, I hate mornings. Luckily I work in a field where 'flex time' is a way of life; I typically roll into the office around 9-ish on most days. The flip side is that I'm not home from work until 6:30PM on most days. Add time to make dinner, eat, spend time with my girlfriend... and I'm logging in to play at 8PM or later. With the fortresses only being capturable between 8PM and midnight, local time, and a three-hour differential between EST and PST, if I'm on the "wrong" server (an EST server), I would have to significantly rearrange my Real Life to participate in any end-game content. And as much as I love my MMO, I'm not willing to sacrifice my out-of-game life for one.

Then again, maybe I'm overgeneralizing, and I'm just in a 2% minority.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, the OP (Me) has nothing to do with the leadership of the PA Aion guilds, so if someone would care to inform the OP about the final selection it would happily be updated!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, a final decision needs to be made.

West coasters are ahead on the poll on the guildlaunch forums but only by a handful of votes.

Not knowing the exact fortress schedules makes it a little iffy really.

Whichever time zone is chosen for Elyos, the other should probably be chosen for Asmodean, though that's something that a final decision wasn't reached on either.

/sigh

Server list:
    [East] Azphel GMT-5
    [East] Israphel GMT-5
    [East] Lumiel GMT-5
    [East] Marchutan GMT-5
    [East] Triniel GMT-5
    [East] Zikel GMT-5 - Elyos
    [West] Ariel GMT-8
    [West] Kaisinel GMT-8
    [West] Nezekan GMT-8 - Asmodean
    [West] Siel GMT-8
    [West] Vaizel GMT-8
    [West] Yustiel GMT-8

Bolded were the original choices.

I say we just stick to them and finish the discussion entirely.

If one timezone just really doesn't work for your schedule, play in the other.

EDIT: I'm seeing Zikel listed as both East and West in different places. Does anyone know the answer there for sure?

Here's the official post which I took that list from:
    http://na.aiononline.com/en/news/serverlist.html

but elsewhere on gaming sites it is listed as [West]. o_O

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    Zikel was originally West but was changed to East.

Spindrift on
    edited September 2009
    Ok then.

So, I'm not in charge or anything, but shit needs to be decided.

Should we just go with the original plan if there aren't any serious qualms by the end of today?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2009
    Ok then.

So, I'm not in charge or anything, but shit needs to be decided.

Should we just go with the original plan if there aren't any serious qualms by the end of today?

I'm following the elyos masses on this one.

Algorefiend on
    edited September 2009
    Let's go with the original plan. We can't account for everything. There may be some west coasters that wish to play Elyos and East Coasters that wish to play Asmodeans, but the most important thing is that we can play at all.

Well, that's my vote at least. I'm not in charge more than anyone else.

Who is in charge, anyway?

Silas Brown on