As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BREAKING NEWS: Duke Nukem Forever is going to be Multiplatform!

wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done?Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
I found this article on IGN about Duke Nukem forever. I laughed when I clicked on it, because of the hilarity that is DNF. When I read it. I didnt' know whether to laugh of cry

Article

Now.....what should we do here. I don't know what to do. All I do know is that it's time for a DNF thread.

duke-nukem-forever_01.jpg

And for those of you living in a fucking CAVE. This is a penny arcade comic from the year 1999[/]. That's before Y2K folks.

19991103h.jpg

EDIT: had to put the picture in, just to complete it.

EDIT2: someone rememberd the comic from 1999, that so deserves to be in the OP

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
wunderbar on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chinese Democracy for OST

LewieP on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Christ. I was hoping it would 360 exclusive.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lol.... Sony?

Oh, wait, I got one.

More liek Duke Duken for-never! Ah hah hah hah hah I'm going to go hang myself.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah! I'll finally be able to use my preorder!

duke_forever_pre.jpg

no DNF thread is complete without me coming in here to post it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You are a legend, slash

LewieP on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    lol What year is that reciept 2001 or 2002 can't make out the last number.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be surprised if it ever gets released, plus it's no surprised it's multiplatform

Lothars on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Yeah! I'll finally be able to use my preorder!

duke_forever_pre.jpg

no DNF thread is complete without me coming in here to post it.

As legendary on these forums as that MSpaint grouphug thread or the ITT Lesbians thread.

It is part of our heritage.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make love to me, slash.

Food on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can anyone post the list (there's a specific list that's been made, and it's pretty large) of relevant things in gaming that have happened during the development cycle of DNF? I promise this time I won't lose it.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    Can anyone post the list (there's a specific list that's been made, and it's pretty large) of relevant things in gaming that have happened during the development cycle of DNF? I promise this time I won't lose it.

http://duke.a-13.net/

LewieP on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First STALKER, now this? I... I... just can't. What the hell is going on here!?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Multiplatform? So it'll be on.... PS4, xbox 720 and wii2? LOL?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am picturing the start sequence of Independance Day.

Cuts to an empty office, it's night time.

'It's the end of the world as we know it' playing on the stereo.

Guy playing mini golf.

Suddenly it cuts to another speaker and this reverberating alien sound is increasing in tempo and volume.

Cut to the moon, shadow passing over the surface.

Cut upwards to see the boxart for Duke Nukem Forever as it approaches earth hellbent on our utter and complete destruction.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still buying this thing when it's released. Unless it's $599.

Polago on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought Tom Roberts had exclusivity rights to DNF.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, if this game ever gets released, it'll be the most outdated piece of trash on the shelves. And yet some hardcore gamers (read: people on our level) will buy it just to say they have it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually kind of sad I got to throw away my STALKER/HL2 preorder slip.

Of course, it's so faded you can hardly tell anything is printed on it, and it's useless anyway since they switched to electronic preorders. But still.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will they still accept a preorder that old?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    plufim wrote: »

Phantom.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Will they still accept a preorder that old?

they should give him the game for free imo!

LewieP on
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cause porting DNF to other consoles will only just speed up development.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash, you need to check with the store you did that at, there is a very good chance they dont have it on file anymore.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man... you now how so many games when they go multiplatform drop the PC version to save costs?

Yeah... that would be... so horribly cruel. And hilarious.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    slash, you need to check with the store you did that at, there is a very good chance they dont have it on file anymore.

Pretty sure slash doesn't live in the same city anymore.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I preordered Ultima 10 from Chips n Bits in like 1996. I can't fucking wait till that ships.

EDIT: Do I have to worry about inflation?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hahah, I'm not worried about my DNF preorder being on file any more. I'm sure they've purged the records by now. It's been five years or so. But I'm sure DNF will be easily available anywhere for whatever system when/if it comes out. I just hold on to the preorder for hilarity's sake at this point; the longer before it comes out, the better... Although my preorder stub is getting rather old, faded, and delicate... Oh well.

Also, Renzo's right. I live in another city, but it's a 3 hour drive from Houston where I put the preorder in. I go back to Houston periodically; and, in fact, I'll be going to law school in Houston starting in the Fall, so I'll be there again for at least 3 years.

Not like the game will be out by the end of those three years, though.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Oh, if this game ever gets released, it'll be the most outdated piece of trash on the shelves. And yet some hardcore gamers (read: people on our level) will buy it just to say they have it.

I'll buy it. It'll be something to pull out for the grandchildren. They'll recognise it too. Everyone will.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Hahah, I'm not worried about my DNF preorder being on file any more. I'm sure they've purged the records by now. It's been five years or so. But I'm sure DNF will be easily available anywhere for whatever system when/if it comes out. I just hold on to the preorder for hilarity's sake at this point; the longer before it comes out, the better... Although my preorder stub is getting rather old, faded, and delicate... Oh well.

Also, Renzo's right. I live in another city, but it's a 3 hour drive from Houston where I put the preorder in. I go back to Houston periodically; and, in fact, I'll be going to law school in Houston starting in the Fall, so I'll be there again for at least 3 years.

Not like the game will be out by the end of those three years, though.

You need to put the preorder in a frame to protect it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    plufim wrote: »

Phantom.

Good one.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    19991103h.jpg
    but really, cmon.

Hopefully they started from scratch a few times, otherwise it'll look like crap.
    im shocked that i remember this comic

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    that receipt wins the internet forever.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    hilarity
    but really, cmon.

Hopefully they started from scratch a few times, otherwise it'll look like crap.
    im shocked that i remember this comic

Consider that comic OP'd

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The people at 3DRealms must have incredible job security.

Ethelred on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    By saying it's multiplatform I HOPE that it doesn't become a diluted mess like Deus Ex 2 became from being developed for the PC and Xbox at the same time. Though how well Prey was handled does give me hope.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Penny-Arcade on DNF
    19991103h.jpg20000211h.jpg
    20040618h.jpg

3D Realms on DNF
    "We're confident that DNF will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, game of 1998. And this confidence is not misplaced." - Scott Miller, 1997

"Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard, 1998

"Trust us, Duke Nukem Forever will rock when it comes out next year (2000)." - Joe Siegler, 1999

"When it's done in 2001." - 2000 Christmas card

"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." - George Broussard, 2001

"DNF will come out before Unreal 2.” - George Broussard, 2001 (Unreal 2 was released in 2003)

"DNF will come out before Doom 3." - George Broussard, 2002 (Doom 3 was released in 2004)

“Our idea is that we’re going to really start the marketing blitz when we feel like we’re about 10-12 months away from release. So as soon as you see something from us, that would be the indication that we’re within that time window… I think definitely the time window is under 3 years..” - Scott Miller, 2006

Ritual Entertainment on DNF (I guess the joke is on them!)
    potd060511.jpg

Slash000 on DNF
    dukepreorderge7.jpg

Scott Miller on DNF
    Currently, 3D Realms is blaming inexperienced employees as to what has held back development, and are now looking for people who have 5 or even 8-10 years of experience (Which is ironic considering it’s been in development for that long). Additionally, Scott Miller sites that a lack of management has also held back development… In short, as Scott Miller says “We suck.”

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So it's going to be on the Phantom?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Slash, you should know I still have that image saved since the first time I saw you post it. I say you frame that shit so it doesn't up and disintergrate on you.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Living in a world where DNF has been released is just going to be somehow wrong.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Living in a world where DNF has been released is just going to be somehow wrong.

It will be delivered to your door by four horsemen.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png