As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (Official Thread)

• Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. Would like to see rewards return for successful completion of scorecards? If so how what would you be looking for? (Current idea is a small subset of buttons for successful completion)

I really like the reward idea for this, but it seemed like all but a few of the Slytherin crawlers stopped bothering even trying the actual challenges >.> I think some kind of reward, even if it's just a simple sticker or button would encourage more participation.

2. How should the donation system be handled? Like it was this year where everyone just threw a buck in then earned more money from extracurricular House activities or would you rather see it somehow tied into the challenges? If you choose the latter you do not get off easy. How would you implement donations tied to challenges?

I like the simple low end donation to "get in" the way it is, however optional things like the auctioning that other houses did was extremely awesome and I'd love to see more of that.

3. If I can finagle it, would you like to have groups face off against each other if it meant some groups would have to double back?

I'd love to have all the houses meet up, but the doubling back sounds harsh when I remember the walking we did ;.; However, if there were less or closer together bars, I think doubling back wouldn't be so much of an issue. Or at least one that would be well worth the minor grumbling <3

4. What is your preferred ratio of bars to challenges?

Well personally I think the walking wore on people a bit, and Slytherin almost lost 2 people on trips (One because she couldn't make the hills and the other just was a teeny bit too wobbly to keep up after all the challenges) So I think a couple less bars with 2 challenges each would be perfect and give everyone a chance to rest up a bit more between the uphill walks.

5. Other miscellaneous thoughts/ideas/feedback?

I also adore the banner idea. It would make the people wrangling MUCH easier ^.^

The following questions are only if you plan on attending the PAX East Bar Crawl: (I'm not going but am answering anyways... take THAT Atlus!)

6. Pokémon!

Oh HELL Yes.

7. I'm planning to have 10 drinking challenges in 8 bars. Too many challenges? Probably too many bars?

Too many bars.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    skarsol wrote: »
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    TOO MANY BARS!!!

Barely had time to converse and hang out and make friends this year. It was get in, do you challenge/pound back a drink, and move.

Not everyone can drink like you Atlus

I concur. If there's 4 groups again, then something like 5 bars sounds ideal to me. 3 (of the bigger) bars where you meet with one of the other groups and 2 where it's just your group.

Also, you would have had more time to socialize Jonny if you weren't doubling up on the drinks! :P~

I misinterpereted the rules!!

That and we know we live 20 minutes away from each other and never went drinking...I was playing catch up

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BTW: Atlus, you've been PM'd.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    griff56griff56 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shout out to all the other !Hufflepuff members! You guys were awesome! I had a blast :)

griff56 on
    "Who are you, how did you get here, and why isn't dancing the Macarena punishable by death?" - Orbitron
  • Options
    IamelkIamelk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rana and I brought the Ravenclaw banner - glad it was such a hit.. We had a lot of fun chasing down a suitable pole for it and getting it ready. We also donated the tie that raised $50 - originally thought someone would want it in our house - pure brilliance to sell if off to a gryffindor person.

It was hillarious that hufflepuff was trying to steal it.. luckily rana got the inside scoop and we warned punkjr who alerted the guards ;)

I have a ton of ravenclaw pics and a few short (but epic) movies. i'll upload shortly.
    Here's my randomized feedback ( that numbering system seemed complicated and included pokemon) .

- Less walking.. the hike to metropolitan was a quest in itself.
    - As someone suggested - perhaps a bar or two less and a bit more time. especially at the 'house meetup's
    - Alert bars and have them pre-make certain 'spells' if there's a high likely hood they're selling a ton of them. especially the metropolitan was a nightmare - some people were in line for 45 minutes i think. Dont see a problem making a certain spell ' standard' for a place as long as people can substitute.
    - the duels were confusing.. who was supposed to pay for who.. suggestion - have each buy the other the spell. (not one person buy both)
    - have everyone meet up at the same place at the end with an hour or two to hang out with new friends
    - we didnt get to meet slytherin at all - would be great if all houses could meet.
    - the scorecards should be collected for points? someone could bag them a the end of the night and they could be tallied later.. although i'd like to take mine home again, was a fun souvenier.. still lol'ing at sumi's my-little-pony-stickers that got progressively harder to peel during the night
    random ideas
    - we did a group photo - seemed like a fun thing - maybe adopt that
    - interhouse challenges.. give the houses something to 'watch' and other houses try and steal (not necessarily the standard, but that could be one thing.. what if everyone had a tag or something
    - minor detail, but passing other houses en-route is fun.
    - house button trades.. get 2-3 of your own house buttons and trade with others as you meet up
    - profit

and props to jake for buying the standard at the end of the night.. and to the hero that carried it all night with pride ! :)

I'm sure i'll think of more later - jetlagged in europe at the moment. Was probably the most fun thing we/I did at pax and thats saying a lot - looking forward to next year.. I'm committed to ravenclaw - we had an awesome house team!

Iamelk on
  • Options
    GargGarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Last Thursday was one of the top 50 days of my life. In the first half of the day, my Northwest Arkansas buddies and I stomped around Seattle (and pretty much decided two of us are going to move there one day). Ravenclaw was an awesome group of folks, and I enjoyed bumping into the Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors. Special thanks to the Ravenclaw leaders and organizers.

Although a combination of poor memory and glorious ethanol prevented me from remembering almost any names, I wanted to call out a few cool people
    • the two Hufflepuffs who came from Fayetteville, AR. I overheard one of you say “Arkansas” and promptly crashed into your conversation. Apologies. NWA represent.
    • my Hufflepuff challenger. I’m glad I found somebody so late in that bar. Lucky for me and my friend that you two were late arrivals.
    • the English Hufflepuff (I think?) who, just as I was leaving the second bar after having consumed three shots, walked up to me and said (in that adorably awesome British accent) “excuse me mates, I’ve ordered too many pints. Would you like one?” while holding three beers. Three shots already. I should take it easy. I saw my hand reach out and take the beer, and I knew the night was only going to get better.
    • somewhere between bars one and two, I picked up the nickname Hagrid Jesus. Having people scream that across bars and streets felt pretty awesome.
    • my Gryffindor challenger. By bar #3 I’d already had six drinks, and when you were sitting down, my intoxicated brain was like “pff you can take this little dude.” When you stood up and were like a foot taller than me, it was quite a shock. I thought I was being tricksy by ordering an Irish Carbomb for you (a friend informed me they were vile and/or alcohotacular), but when the bartender poured two instead of one, I felt obligated to drink mine as well as the shots you ordered. No regrets. You were cool.
    • three bars, eight drinks. That’s when I stopped the (ability to) count. I’m only definitely sure I had one more, but I can’t recall what it was. Thanks to everyone who kept me civil and in the group.
    • Iamelk and partner, I guess, for the Ravenclaw banner? My friend Jake still has it, having shelled out all those dollars for it.
    • the group of Ravenclaws that had breakfast with me from like 2 to 4:30am. I don’t actually remember how you separated me from my group of friends, but it was worth it.
    • last but not least, the Ravenclaw girl that I hung with that night and almost met up with twice more through the weekend, failing due to my mind-boggling lack of planning skills. You were super-cool.

Two and a half hours of sleep after that night, I was up and charging into PAX. A couple of cups of coffee and energy drinks in me and I won an Unreal Tournament III tournament, so clearly I didn’t drink too excessively. I would say the memories will last forever, but I’ll have to settle for “the amorphous blobs of friendly nerd shapes will last until I can get pictures from my friends to verify my estimations.” If anyone else has pictures of the wild-eyed mountain man Hagrid Jesus, I’d love to see them. Bars four through six are still pretty hazy…

Thanks, guys and girls. It was great.

Edit: I do regret one thing. I missed infinite opportunities to shout "YOU'RE A WIZARD HARRY" at every. single. person. Shame. Next year.

Garg on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Iamelk wrote: »
    It was hillarious that hufflepuff was trying to steal it.. luckily rana got the inside scoop and we warned punkjr who alerted the guards ;)

I wasn't trying to steal it. I was going to borrow it and make it better and more yellowy-er. :winky:

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    excuse me mates, I’ve ordered too many pints.

It comes in pints!?

In all seriousness all the people I met during the crawl were really nice and fun to talk to. I do not remember any of your names, but I think everyone in Hufflepuff already knows they kick ass.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    IamelkIamelk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Garg wrote: »
    [*]somewhere between bars one and two, I picked up the nickname Hagrid Jesus. Having people scream that across bars and streets felt pretty awesome.

Best.. nickname.. evah..

you need to change all your forums names and tags now..!

Iamelk on
  • Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [*]somewhere between bars one and two, I picked up the nickname Hagrid Jesus. Having people scream that across bars and streets felt pretty awesome.

Hagrid Jesus!!! You were (and are) awesome.

refrag on
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've finally arrived home and hope to upload those pictures I took within the week. I don't quite recall how many I took, but hopefully they're good. This was an awesome start to PAX, even if I wasn't technically participating.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    refrag wrote: »

Hagrid Jesus!!! You were (and are) awesome.

I too had a great time during the crawl, and Refrag, thanks for enjoying some Patron with me...I have now idea which bar we were in......

Rayman on
  • Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rayman wrote: »
    I too had a great time during the crawl, and Refrag, thanks for enjoying some Patron with me...I have now idea which bar we were in......

No thank you. That was a great time. And it was at Barca that we enjoyed that fine shot.

refrag on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can not possibly wait just under a year to do this again.

Boston here I come.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    HezaaaHezaaa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    • the group of Ravenclaws that had breakfast with me from like 2 to 4:30am. I don’t actually remember how you separated me from my group of friends, but it was worth it.
    • last but not least, the Ravenclaw girl that I hung with that night and almost met up with twice more through the weekend, failing due to my mind-boggling lack of planning skills. You were super-cool.

Hagrid Jesus, it's you!

This night was epic and Ravenclaw was awesome. Someone from that group needs to post some pictures.
    Hello to:
    • Missy(? did I make that name up?)
    • Alejandra the Omeganaut
    • Andrew-from-the-OC, crazy that I ran into you twice later on. Thanks for being my line buddy!
    • dude with the long, silky locks who shared a smoke with me outside Chapel (sorry, I was too far gone by then to remember your name).
    • guy who bought Ravenclaw's banner, Jake I guess?
    • Canadian Gryffindor in line behind me at Cafe Metropolitan
    • Everyone who made me feel better about my cheap ass last minute tie

Hezaaa on
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ^ hi heather!

I would really like to see the group photo of ravenclaw outside of whichever bar that was.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I do agree that we could do with one less bar. At this point though we're just making what is awesome even better. I can't wait till next year. Another MMT, Pre-Pax Dinner, and Pub Crawl Day!

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whole thing was awesome, except that the bartender at Metropolitan didn't know anything. Me and Accalon kept trying to order things and she didn't know what they were, we eventually got shots of something, which were definitely more than a shot :P But whatever.

Ravenclaw was superior because of our banner of awesome. Also, I believe the most fun was had at Clever Dunne's since we had so much time there, it gave people a chance to talk.

I also had a lot of fun being the guide beside the banner holder guy, I had the power to command over 50 people in any direction I wanted. Luckily, I was able to keep myself under control.

Unfortunately I had to bail at the garage as I had some beer there. I apparently forgot that having beer after shots/highballs does not work well for me. So, someone got a free shot of Crown Royal off of me. I hope you enjoyed it :)

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hezaaa wrote: »
    Everyone who made me feel better about my cheap ass last minute tie

lol, were you the one with the printed out one attached with a bullclip? That was pretty pimp. Printed out tie > no tie, imo.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <--Alejandra
    That tie was a tie for the ages! Next year I'm staying the whole night no matter what I have to do in the morning.
    Did you stay the whole time, Hezaaa?

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i definitely saw hezaaa get her smoke in at the churchy bar so yes she did.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    HezaaaHezaaa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I definitely stayed the whole time. I was eating hash browns and ketchup until 4am with some cool Ravenclaws. Still drunk then, too, although I kept telling everyone I was sober.

Hezaaa on
  • Options
    frecklefreckle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. Buttons are a great idea. Doesn't have to be a fancy prize, but it's fun to get stuff.
    2. I think it was fine this year. Definitely don't think it should be part of a challenge.
    3. This year was fine, but doubling back wouldn't bother me either
    4. One challenge per bar was nice, gives you time to get it done and then talk for a bit.
    5. Cut out The Crescent. More time at the starting bar to get things figured out. Consider a route map so groups would cross paths.
    6. OMG yes!
    7. Sounds like too many challenges. Getting drunk is fun, but puking should be optional.

freckle on
  • Options
    Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just wanted to say that I finally found the time to upload/lighten/fix the image of Accalon after he bought the Ravenclaw tie:

That's the best I could do with my PS skills... sorry!

Trisha Lynn on
    -- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My flickr set of the pubcrawl, documenting some of the Gryffindor journey.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice photos. I only found myself in one and I look very angry for some reason. It's probably better that there aren't more though as I wouldn't want to see myself towards the end of the night.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heh, I *finally* uploaded the video from the super-sweet Tri-Wizard bad-dance off.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »

Any way to see them without having to sign up?

Those are great pictures, I love the banner.

Slytherin, did we not get any pics?

redhalo on
  • Options
    acidfingersacidfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    3901955939_142e1259e6.jpg

Man, I remember throughout the night my friends and I kept calling this guy "map guy" because out of all the Slytherin that were trying to figure out how to get to the next bar, he was totally calm and collected and had his map printed out and everything! I definitely stuck by him and didn't end up lost yay!
    triwizard_drinking_tournament.jpg

There's me and my gang on the left after we got challenged by three Gryffindors (I believe it resulted in a tie!)

Thanks everyone involved, I had a great time and I'm sure to participate again next year in full force!

acidfingers on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PFFT. Nice costumes.

No wonder Slytherin lost. :P

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    PFFT. Nice costumes.

Aw, why you gotta break balls.

redhalo on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    PFFT. Nice costumes.

Cause they are the worst!

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Holy shit, you got like 3 or 4 pictures of me and I look somewhat normal (I think it's the lack of red-eye).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awe... I want to drink with y'all again as wizards already! I loved this pub crawl (my first ever pub crawl or anything pub related!) so much.

I'm not showing up in any pictures, this makes me immensely happy because it means I'm the sneakiest Ravenclaw of all.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Next time hold a 3' tall flag all night long and you'll get your picture taken for sure.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    PFFT. Nice costumes.

Because they know we had more fun. Slytherin always has more fun.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only a month late with pics!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2548964&l=2e1217caf1&id=10015712

Once again: excellent work, Ravenclaw. It was a pleasure drinking with you all ^_^

AltDelete on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Only a month late with pics!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2548964&l=2e1217caf1&id=10015712

Once again: excellent work, Ravenclaw. It was a pleasure drinking with you all ^_^

Hey I'm in one of those! Ca-caw!

Actually on closer inspection we appear to have walked back to the hotel area as well - something I have no recollection of. Still, great stumbling with you!

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.