As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Access Point [SOLVED]

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night I guess my wireless bridge connecting my cable modem to my internet gateway box died. I took my WAP and bridged it with the WAP on the modem, which got my internet connection back, but I'm now minus 1 wireless network. So I'm going to buy a new WAP, but was wondering on what brand to get. All of my current (alive and dead) stuff is LinkSys, but I guess LinkSys sucks? Or is it okay? I've had my share of problems with it. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking to not break the bank. I was planning to spend around $80 to replace this thing (what it cost originally). I currently used it for Xbox Live, and my Wii and DS. I also recently ordered a laptop and will be getting a wireless card for that, so there's that too.

Sir Carcass on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. A wireless connection between a cable modem and a router? What the hell is that? o_O
    2. Linksys WRT54GL and load some lovely custom firmware on it.
    3. I haven't seen a laptop come without wireless for years.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't had any problems with Netgear, and I hear Buffalo is a good low-cost brand.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Asus has started making some very well received routers. I got a nice one off of newegg for about 35.
    Linksys used to be the only brand worth getting, but I've heard that their hardware quality is slipping and a number of other companies are stepping up.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll second the Buffalo comment. I've never used their gear, but I hear it's excellent.

You can pick up a Linksys WRT310N for a few bucks (new or used), right now, and run dd-wrt on it. I personally like the quality of the Linksys gear, though I hate the new case design. The damn thing looks like a UFO has landed on my wall.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, and my Asus router is a super simple white box. Looks nice.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, and my Asus router is a super simple white box. Looks nice.

Doesn't Apple have a patent on white boxes?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. A wireless connection between a cable modem and a router? What the hell is that? o_O

Basically, our situation is such:

Due to the placement of our office, they couldn't put a cable jack in there. It has 2 exterior walls and shares a wall with a bathroom. So what they did was hook the modem up to a cable in the junction box or whatever thing in our closet. I put a WAP in there with it, then had a wireless ethernet bridge connected to my linux server/gateway, allowing the server to connect to the modem. There's another NIC in the server that goes to a hub, which our 2 computers are connected to. I had another WAP connected to the hub to provide a wireless network for other devices.

I think the wireless bridge on the server died, so I took the WAP I was using for my wireless network and created a bridge with the WAP in the closet. So our internet works fine now, but my wireless network is gone. Since I have a separate server for routing, I don't really need a wireless router but a wireless access point to create my wireless network.

I'm fine with buying LinkSys again, if it's recommended. I had just thought the consensus was their quality has slipped or they were always overpriced or something. I'll definitely check out Buffalo, Netgear, and Asus.

Oh, and the laptop. It's probably a good 4 or 5 years old. I got it for $50 from an equipment sale at work.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had pretty hit-or-miss experiences with LynkSys lately. They aren't crap products by any means, but I personally think NetGear is a better value.

Also: Belkin is the biggest piece of trash available... just a warning.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Basically, our situation is such:

Due to the placement of our office, they couldn't put a cable jack in there. It has 2 exterior walls and shares a wall with a bathroom. So what they did was hook the modem up to a cable in the junction box or whatever thing in our closet. I put a WAP in there with it, then had a wireless ethernet bridge connected to my linux server/gateway, allowing the server to connect to the modem. There's another NIC in the server that goes to a hub, which our 2 computers are connected to. I had another WAP connected to the hub to provide a wireless network for other devices.

I think the wireless bridge on the server died, so I took the WAP I was using for my wireless network and created a bridge with the WAP in the closet. So our internet works fine now, but my wireless network is gone. Since I have a separate server for routing, I don't really need a wireless router but a wireless access point to create my wireless network.

I'm fine with buying LinkSys again, if it's recommended. I had just thought the consensus was their quality has slipped or they were always overpriced or something. I'll definitely check out Buffalo, Netgear, and Asus.

Oh, and the laptop. It's probably a good 4 or 5 years old. I got it for $50 from an equipment sale at work.

Ugh, I couldn't stand having wireless in my WAN link. I'd really push you to run cable under carpet/baseboard, or fished through the walls following an existing line (phone?) but if that's totally impossible, I guess you deal with what you have.

Also, pretty much every wireless router can be made to act as a plain AP - disable its built-in DHCP server, manually assign it a LAN IP, hook a cable into the LAN side of it, and presto.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah, didn't realize that about routers. I'll keep that in mind.

The main problem with running stuff is that we rent this house. There are also no phone jacks in this room, only electrical outlets. (It's really a family room/dining room, the room you walk into when you come in the front door, that we converted to an office.) This works for now, until we get our own place. I'll definitely be buying with wiring in mind. The worst part is it makes troubleshooting a pain (took me about 7 hours to get everything working), since it adds several more links in the chain.

Good to know Belkin sucks, I'll avoid it. I'm about to look around NewEgg to see what they have.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I ended up ordering this last night.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    t_catt11t_catt11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At the risk of being flamed mercilessly, I would disagree with some above comments. Linksys is junk from what I have seen (as an IT guy). Buy a Linksys, save a few bucks, spend hours playing with configurations. Or buy a Netgear or Asus, plug it in, and enjoy your networking.

Of course, things could have changed within the past couple of years - Linksys may have improved. I know that Netgear still rocks, however.

t_catt11 on
    Santa4Me.com: Personalized letters from Santa Claus!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]