As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions Online - Zero trans fat hero spread

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    my regen gets raped while i'm in a hold. others would teleport out, but with the patch coming/came they cant' do that anymore so I guess holds are a great counter to regen

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They just better not start fucking nerfing powers just because of how they operate in PvP.

CoH did that shit for YEARS before they finally said "you know what? fuck it. some powers work differently in PVP than they do in PVE"

Pony on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Regen seriously needs to be looked into. It's pretty OP compared to everything else in PvP (And maybe PvE) from what I've seen.

If it stopped working or had severely less power while blocking it would probably be fine.

No, and fuck you for even suggesting it. Seriously, if you want to whine about powers and perceived balance issues, go spew all over the official forums like everyone else.

Regen works well, and works as advertised. There is no reason to fuck it up just because you are too lazy to come up with counters.

Arguing that it works better than other defenses is more an argument that those defenses were overly nerfed (which they were, IMO).

God I am sick of lazy fuckers who'd rather see shit nerfed into oblivion than simply work out tactics to overcome.

You're being just as bad as the official forums. You're both just screaming at each other to nerf this or buff that without giving any more reason than "because I think so". I'd ask you Yosha, what advertising do you refer to? Why does this make a difference? If regen really is an outlier, than wouldn't you agree that its more time efficient and would affect less people if they changed regen over changing all the other powers?

Furthermore, you must also face those that use regen in battle as well. Instead of calling people "lazy fuckers", why don't you shut them up by sharing your counter.

I really have no opinion for or against regen since I don't pvp and haven't used it on any of my characters yet, but I hate reading posts like the quoted exchange.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think regen will be seen as more balanced if people do more organized teams. Once healing shifts from your own responsibility to that of a specialized healer or two, invul, defiance, and LR's percentage based mitigations will probably surpass regen's high static mitigation, particularly under focus fire.

PFF is still fucked though :P

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I am 100% for powers working differently in pvp than pve.

ONE

HUNDERD

PERCENT

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    moushi i keep forgetting to mention it, but there's a dual blade skill that looks a lot like a cyclone, but sadly has swords attached. you should get that skill

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    They just better not start fucking nerfing powers just because of how they operate in PvP.

CoH did that shit for YEARS before they finally said "you know what? fuck it. some powers work differently in PVP than they do in PVE"

Limed. One million times.

AustinP0027 on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    @ Chrono - I'm looking for equality. Why can a dude have fishnets but not something else that only females can have. It doesn't make sense.

This...this what I'm asking. What are you looking for that only a female can have but a man can't? You keep referring to *something*. What is that something you're asking for?

My bad...I thought you were saying "I don't know what you're looking for here" in a completely different manner.

Yeah, I will check the options when I get home and make a list. I'll be a little more specific.

And I will check the other reccomends. Thanks!

Shawnasee on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Regen seriously needs to be looked into. It's pretty OP compared to everything else in PvP (And maybe PvE) from what I've seen.

If it stopped working or had severely less power while blocking it would probably be fine.

No, and fuck you for even suggesting it. Seriously, if you want to whine about powers and perceived balance issues, go spew all over the official forums like everyone else.

Regen works well, and works as advertised. There is no reason to fuck it up just because you are too lazy to come up with counters.

Arguing that it works better than other defenses is more an argument that those defenses were overly nerfed (which they were, IMO).

God I am sick of lazy fuckers who'd rather see shit nerfed into oblivion than simply work out tactics to overcome.

Wow, you're kind of an asshole, you know that right?

I don't even PvP and in fact I have a character with regen on him. I don't think it's working as intended if I can solo group missions without any problems.

Invisible on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    I am 100% for powers working differently in pvp than pve.

ONE

HUNDERD

PERCENT

I don't pvp and I agree with this.

Also I still need to see screens of the Zangief ingame.

IvanIssacs on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    moushi i keep forgetting to mention it, but there's a dual blade skill that looks a lot like a cyclone, but sadly has swords attached. you should get that skill

if only there was a way for it to be a hammer and sicle

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They aren't going to nerf powers based on PvP, they've said that a billion times. I think the way it works now is fine and dandy. I haven't seen any powers that are over powered in pvp that aren't over powered in pve.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Except that some powers are or were completely fucking broken, in that there weren't any tactics to overcome them.

I'd much sooner have a bunch of powers work differently in PvP compared to PvE, but pointing out how certain powers dramatically overperform every other option isn't just whining.

Lawndart on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it just me or is the character creator not as robust as advertised/what I imagined it would be?

-No capes: I don't get it. ((EDIT: I know there are capes! But not for a lot of options where they would be nice to have.))
    -No faces: Am I stuck in standard MMO mode or am I correct in that I am really only stretching/pinching the same face?
    -Not enough hair: we need more hair. Is it with the full masks that there are only like 4 or 5 options for hairstyles? Even the full list is lacking...you know...in comparison.
    -Discrimination: there are options for males that aren't available for females, yet I can have fishnet stockings on a dude? Which is awesome according to the wife. Where did they draw the line?

Am I being greedy?

Ironicly enough, it is possible for female characters to mix/match more options with capes, It just costs an arm or two.
    And I agree about the lack of hair options, and the gap between costume parts between male and female characters (especially since some of them make no sence... women can only have half of the Knight costume set?)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -No faces: Am I stuck in standard MMO mode or am I correct in that I am really only stretching/pinching the same face?

This may not be what you are looking for, but I know there is a detail tab for at least regular faces (not sure if it works with half masks) that has different options like old, gaunt, etc. I think by using the face scale and then using these you can make a good range of different faces.

I dont think its actually called detail though, I cant remember what it is. Diffuse maybe?

Mimas on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Regen only appears imbalanced because heals in general will amplify the effect of any other kind of mitigation. With a heal, further mitigation can help you survive forever. With resistance, for example, additional mitigation only helps you survive longer.

To be honest, as long as they're not using teleport, I have no problem bringing down folks with regen. Crippling Challenge, Iron Lariat, Haymaker/Nullifying Punch, DPS, repeat. That's usually enough. I'd like to see the heal debuff included on more powers than just haymaker, but one would have to be careful not to make it excessively available, or everyone would have it and regen would be gimped.

The folks I really have trouble with are the ones who spam Mindful Reinforcement, which I believe is broken (seems to be granting heals even though I've battered down the shield), and the folks who combine Regen with TP or a second heal.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Regen is probably a bit too good, as much as I love it. That said, if they tweak Regen down, they really need to tweak the other defensive passives up, because some of them are just terrible (Lightning Reflexes, I'm looking at you). And don't give me this "Oh, it works better against this mob type" crap...no, it just doesn't work very well. I used to defend LR, because it was my passive, then I tried some others and realized just how bad it really was.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A few weird questions:

I'm making a dual wielding / supernatural custom character, and I was wondering if the chain moves have their damage increased by strength. Some of them say explicitly they are melee (like the aoe chain move), but others are ranged (like iron lariat and lash) but do crushing damage. I also picked super speed as it said it had a damage buff when moving which I thought hey ho sounds fun, but when I use it it seems... really horrible for getting around in comparison to teleportation or flight >.<

Is superspeed a really horrible choice?

PPS: Love the character customisation system, is somuchfun

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Other gripes/suggestions:
    -Let me turn my toon when I am deciding which of the 16 toons I want to play. Or when I am showing them off to friends.

You can. Click & drag. Works for me. Although I'm at work so I could just be making shit up.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    edited September 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    because some of them are just terrible (Lightning Reflexes, I'm looking at you). And don't give me this "Oh, it works better against this mob type" crap...no, it just doesn't work very well. I used to defend LR, because it was my passive, then I tried some others and realized just how bad it really was.

Yesss, buff my precious ;P

Granted, it would be significantly worse with anything but a linger shield. Much worse than the expected linger nerf would be to other defenses.

Tag on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What linger nerf? They are going to nerf defensive passives AGAIN? Are you fucking serious? Or do you mean they are going to nerf linger effects from block powers?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    What linger nerf? They are going to nerf defensive passives AGAIN? Are you fucking serious? Or do you mean they are going to nerf linger effects from block powers?

The latter. All speculation at this point though.

Tag on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Regen only appears imbalanced because heals in general will amplify the effect of any other kind of mitigation. With a heal, further mitigation can help you survive forever. With resistance, for example, additional mitigation only helps you survive longer.

To be honest, as long as they're not using teleport, I have no problem bringing down folks with regen. Crippling Challenge, Iron Lariat, Haymaker/Nullifying Punch, DPS, repeat. That's usually enough. I'd like to see the heal debuff included on more powers than just haymaker, but one would have to be careful not to make it excessively available, or everyone would have it and regen would be gimped.

The folks I really have trouble with are the ones who spam Mindful Reinforcement, which I believe is broken (seems to be granting heals even though I've battered down the shield), and the folks who combine Regen with TP or a second heal.

Tier 2 and Tier 3 of Mindful Reinforcement were broken before, no damage was being absorbed so when it expired the person would get the full heal.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »

Other gripes/suggestions:
    -Let me turn my toon when I am deciding which of the 16 toons I want to play. Or when I am showing them off to friends.

You can. Click & drag. Works for me. Although I'm at work so I could just be making shit up.

You're correct, this works.

Cabezone on
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I would really like to make [P.A Joe] so i can use my call sign again :P

If you were being serious....

Tremor.jpg

Tremor reportin' for duty.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    P.A. Joe would be a hilarious alt group. So many possibilities.

Bitstream on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A few weird questions:

I'm making a dual wielding / supernatural custom character, and I was wondering if the chain moves have their damage increased by strength. Some of them say explicitly they are melee (like the aoe chain move), but others are ranged (like iron lariat and lash) but do crushing damage. I also picked super speed as it said it had a damage buff when moving which I thought hey ho sounds fun, but when I use it it seems... really horrible for getting around in comparison to teleportation or flight >.<

Is superspeed a really horrible choice?

PPS: Love the character customisation system, is somuchfun

Unless they say they are melee, there's no additional buff from strength. The type of damage (crushing or otherwise) doesn't play any role.

I have a friend who has superspeed, and he says, while tolerable, does make it a bit of a pain getting around.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    acrobatics, with the advantage that increases your speed when hit, is superior to superspeed in my opinion

Pony on
  • MadroxMadrox NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here's my favorite concept character Starsmasher. He's not my main... yet.

Madrox on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So with the Mention of PA Joes, I had to try my hand at creating my favorite G.I. Joe from back in the day.

Shockwave's old Figure

SHOCKWAVE1988.jpg

My CO Attempt.

screenshot_2009-09-17-18-05-08.jpg

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited September 2009
    Could try the tucked pants option. Might work out a bit better. Maybe even baggy jumpsuit.

IvanIssacs on
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You're being just as bad as the official forums. You're both just screaming at each other to nerf this or buff that without giving any more reason than "because I think so". I'd ask you Yosha, what advertising do you refer to? Why does this make a difference? If regen really is an outlier, than wouldn't you agree that its more time efficient and would affect less people if they changed regen over changing all the other powers?

Furthermore, you must also face those that use regen in battle as well. Instead of calling people "lazy fuckers", why don't you shut them up by sharing your counter.

I really have no opinion for or against regen since I don't pvp and haven't used it on any of my characters yet, but I hate reading posts like the quoted exchange.

The main issue here is that nothing in the game should ever be balanced for PvP, unless the ONLY thing it affects is PvP. The game isn't based on it, and trying to do both will totally ruin the entire game. It's happened a countless times, and will again. I just hope it won't happen in CO. Also, the entire defense mechanic in the game is all kinds of fucked up in so many ways I don't even know where to begin. Regen is the only thing that makes it bearable since you don't have to deal with 95% of heals using the most worthless stat out there.

Energeno on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

It sounds to me like you're just a lazy fucker who found easy mode and you're scared its going to get changed.

I have regen and I typically finish most fights close to full health. Even if I pull too many guys and almost die I simply have to block for a little bit while my health regens. I solo'd an equal level legendary dude, there is something wrong with the ability.

Grath on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Could try the tucked pants option. Might work out a bit better. Maybe even baggy jumpsuit.

Those were tucked pants. I just really don't like the other pants options since they seem to hang over the boots. Thats the only part I took artistic liberties on. The rest are as close as I could make em. :p

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited September 2009
    Ohhh werd. Still pretty close tho.

IvanIssacs on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If we're gonna make a P.A.Joe, what the hell is Wizard going to be like? Not an actual magic user, that wouldn't really fit the style. And I already have a munitions guy... Hmmm

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If we're gonna make a P.A.Joe, what the hell is Wizard going to be like? Not an actual magic user, that wouldn't really fit the style. And I already have a munitions guy... Hmmm

I have like 3 Munitions users. This one will atleast get to use the heavy weapons thematically. Speaking of which, having a Browning for my gatlin gun is so awesome.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Energeno wrote: »

The main issue here is that nothing in the game should ever be balanced for PvP, unless the ONLY thing it affects is PvP. The game isn't based on it, and trying to do both will totally ruin the entire game. It's happened a countless times, and will again. I just hope it won't happen in CO. Also, the entire defense mechanic in the game is all kinds of fucked up in so many ways I don't even know where to begin. Regen is the only thing that makes it bearable since you don't have to deal with 95% of heals using the most worthless stat out there.

I agree with pretty much all you said. Though the only defensive powers that seem to be truly broken are PFF and LR.

What I find even more irritating is people cry like a person with regen is impossible to kill, which is very far from the truth with the right tactics. Disable their blocks with holds, knockups/downs/backs, and/or block disablers and someone with regen is going to wither fast, especially if you gang up on them.

Hurting the rest of the game for the sake of PvP is foolish when the PvP portions are such a tiny segment of the game's total content. I don't mean to say it is unimportant, but this would be like crippling DirectX to resolve a problem with minesweeper. I enjoy the PvP now even if it isn't perfect, I'd hope variety is added by enabling more tactical options rather than taking them away (aside obvious problems like tazer arrow not obeying the rules all other holds are held to, or chill lasting way too long).

Things which are broken should be getting attention right now, not shit that is working as intended. Regen works as advertised, and it is a good power pick (God forbid! A power that actually works as described!). If you are bitter because the power you want to use just doesn't measure up, then you should be campaigning for changes that bring it up to par. Making all defensive powers useless and trivial to defeat is not going to improve the game at all.

Yoshua on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tremor wrote: »
    I have like 3 Munitions users. This one will atleast get to use the heavy weapons thematically. Speaking of which, having a Browning for my gatlin gun is so awesome.

Maybe, and nothing beat's Dr. Richard J. Gatling's finest creation.

marshalnortongatling2.jpg

(And for the record RE: Regen, I said it should be looked into, whether that means adjusting Regen down, or bringing the rest up to par with it. And I don't give two bits about PvP)

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.