As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Calling FL studio wizards (fruity loops)

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
Does anyone know much about this program? Specifically the Antares Auto-tune plugin? I've tried watching youtube tutorials about the plugin but everything I find deals with how to give yourself the T-Pain effect as you sing and record live.

I want to dick around with other people's pre-recorded vocals for parody purposes. But I can't figure out how to apply autotune to prerecorded samples, or change pitch or anything like that.

Does anyone know much about this kind of stuff?

Dissociater on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have you managed to figure out how to record and save yourself sounding like T-Pain like these videos show?

If so then you can just plug a cable from an output to the microphone input, and hit play on your samples in a different audio program, and FL Studio will treat it like microphone input.

There's probably an easier way though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I sorta figured that part out. But I already have the samples saved as wavs and imported into fruity loops. Like you said, it seems like there has to be an easier way. I just want to apply that funny sound to regular audio clips and then adjust the pitch manually. I'd like to be able to fine tune things afterwards. It seems like that should be doable, and fairly simple, I don't know why it's stumping me.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have you chosen what key it should autotune in? And make sure it's a major or minor, as the default won't do anything.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I did all that. I messed with the controls as much as I could, but it appeared to have no effect on the pre-recorded sample (I tied that sample effect to the insert on the mixer too).

I tried with a freeware autotuner as well called Gsnap, and no effect there either. I'm obviously doing something wrong before I get to the auto tune step. Am I placing the sample on the board wrong? Do samples have to be in certain formats?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem is you are trying to use an Auto Tuner. Seriously. It's used enough as it is, and sounds like crap.

But that's just my personal opinion. I know a bunch about FL, but not this specific problem, so I can't help you much.

Sorry.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    The problem is you are trying to use an Auto Tuner. Seriously. It's used enough as it is, and sounds like crap.

But that's just my personal opinion. I know a bunch about FL, but not this specific problem, so I can't help you much.

Sorry.

The point is to make it sound like crap.

Do you know another way to mess with the pitch of people's pre-recorded vocals?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That's pretty awesome. I'm going to check that out tonight.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Sorry.

The point is to make it sound like crap.

Do you know another way to mess with the pitch of people's pre-recorded vocals?

Oh, ok then. Proceed.

For the pitch changes:

Drag your clip onto the main pattern bar.

Double click the name of it (to the right of the volume/ pan knobs)

There will be a "Channel settings" window pop up, under "Time Stretching" there will be a pitch knob.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OK thanks, I'll give that a try tonight or over the weekend.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those instructions will tell you how to pitch the entire sample up and down. this is not what you want. You want to direct your sample to your auto-tune plug in. to do this, make sure that the plug in's dll is in your VST folder. press F10 and select "file" then check the VST search folder-- it needs to be in that folder.

When you're done with that, press F9 to get to the mixer, then select one of the insert tracks, like insert 1. On the right there are boxes listed 1-8, with little drop down arrows beside them. click one of the dropdown arrows, navigate to Select->More... and it will present you with a list of all detected plugins. if your plugin isn't in there, press Refresh->fast scan at the bottom. Once you see your plugin, pick it.

So now you have a mixer track with your effect in it. Anything you send to this mixer track will run through your effect before going to the master output.

Press F5 to bring up the playlist if it isn't up already, then find your sample on disk and drag it to one of the empty tracks on the playlist. Drag it into a lane titled "track n" instead of "pattern n." When you do this it will also create a new channel for your sample in the step sequencer (F6 to show step sequencer.) Click your channel in the step sequencer to bring up its channel settings window, then in the upper right of that window, underneath the close button, will be a little greenish LCD panel displaying "--". click and drag on that until it says "1." This routes the sound to insert 1, where your gay auto tune effect is. Now make sure FL is in song mode by clicking the lights next to the play button, then press play. I'll make a video when I get a chance.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OK, I'm going to have to follow your step by step when I get home tonight. I think I did most of what you're talking about when I fooled around with it last, but it didn't work. Obviously I'm missing a step somewhere so I'll go over it tonight.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OK, I'm going to have to follow your step by step when I get home tonight. I think I did most of what you're talking about when I fooled around with it last, but it didn't work. Obviously I'm missing a step somewhere so I'll go over it tonight.

Also, don't steal software. Also also, FL has a great help file. Press F1 to read it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I haven't even started to look at the help file yet. I'll do that when I get a bit of free time. This is one of those cases where I want to do one specific thing with a piece of software I have no experience with. So I'm trying to jump right in, obviously without taking the baby steps first.

Edit: By nature I wouldn't look at the help file anyways. :D

Dissociater on