As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sudden Slow connection to USENET

Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
Recently had to reset my Netgear router back to factory defaults and I've set the following basic options:

WPA security
Wireless g and b
operating on channel 6

My wireless connection is strong and my speeds for web surfing, bittorrent, etc... are normal. However, my normally lightning fast USENET connection has slowed to a crawl. My USENET service is Giganews - I contacted them and they can't seem to pinpoint the issue since I am successfully connecting to their network. I've been able to reproduce this issue on both my PC and my mac using Newsbin (PC) and Unison (mac).

Also, previously I was able to connect via SSL. Now I can only connect via a non-SSL connection.

Any ideas?

steam_sig.png
Tw4win on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First of all, you're breaking rules 1 and 2.

Secondly, the fact that you're no longer able to connect over SSL and your speed has gone to shit makes me think your ISP is shaping traffic or trying to snoop on you.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First of all, you're breaking rules 1 and 2.

Secondly, the fact that you're no longer able to connect over SSL and your speed has gone to shit makes me think your ISP is shaping traffic or trying to snoop on you.

USENET? What's that? (See rules 1 and 2...)

But seriously, does Giganews allow SSL connections to port 443? That might avoid the traffic shaping (which is what it sounds like) IF they are doing it simply based on which port is being used. But they may be going off the IP address you are connecting to, which would be bad.

What ISP are we talking, here? (I'm going to guess Comcast...but perhaps Time Warner/Roadrunner).

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's not breaking any rules, we're talking about a file transfer protocol here and nothing more. If somebody made the same post about how their torrent traffic was being shaped I don't think anyone would be up in arms.

Have you tried connecting a computer directly to your cable modem (or whatever you have)? That will help narrow down where the problem really lies.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    meatflower wrote: »
    He's not breaking any rules, we're talking about a file transfer protocol here and nothing more. If somebody made the same post about how their torrent traffic was being shaped I don't think anyone would be up in arms.

Have you tried connecting a computer directly to your cable modem (or whatever you have)? That will help narrow down where the problem really lies.

No, we mean "The first rule of USENET is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT USENET", like Fight Club. But it doesn't matter, since all of the big ISPs have discontinued their newsgroup services, so you have to go to a private for-pay service nowadays.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Still not entirely sure what's going on with my connection but I'm starting to think that it's the router. Things have stabilized a bit in the past 24 hours and while my connection isn't as good as my laptop it's decent. I think I'm going to upgrade to Wireless N soon anyway...

As for USENET, I see no problem in talking about it. Granted, it's not free but I prefer it to bittorrent. When I'm not experiencing connection issues it's much faster...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Still not entirely sure what's going on with my connection but I'm starting to think that it's the router. Things have stabilized a bit in the past 24 hours and while my connection isn't as good as my laptop it's decent. I think I'm going to upgrade to Wireless N soon anyway...

As for USENET, I see no problem in talking about it. Granted, it's not free but I prefer it to bittorrent. When I'm not experiencing connection issues it's much faster...

Well did you hook up a computer directly to the modem and try then? If it works perfectly than it's your router. If it's the same, then it's your modem or ISP.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try setting up DMZ on your router/computer and see if that helps?
    (sorry if i'm totally wrong and talking out my ass here)

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tw4win wrote: »

I recently bought a D-Link 802.11(draft)N router and had problems initially getting it on a channel that the cordless phones in our house didn't interfere with it. It was so bad that when you picked up any of our cordless phones, the router went nuts and repeatedly shut itself down for some reason.

USENET shouldn't be affected by just going over the air, but the suggestion to plug your computer directly in to the router is a good idea to try anyway.

I like USENET myself...it just the Fight Club-inspired rules are there so that THEY (RIAA, MPAA, etc.) don't learn much about it.

Try setting up DMZ on your router/computer and see if that helps?
    (sorry if i'm totally wrong and talking out my ass here)

I'd be careful putting any PC in a DMZ these days...that basically puts your computer out there with no NAT/hardware firewall to keep your computer safe. How sure are you that your software firewall is working? Because you need to be about 1000% sure. Not necessarily a bad suggestion, really, for diagnostic purposes, but I would avoid it. Actually, if you really wanted to go that route and understand the security implications (assuming this is cable internet), you could just plug your PC directly in to the cable modem and it take the router completely out of the equation. I still wouldn't want to do that, though.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had this occur myself, on the server side giganews may think the connections are still connected. What you need to do is first of all disconnect/power off your router for about half an hour (sometimes longer, essentially this is just to make sure your router isn't keeping any connections alive..) and don't try downloading anything from giganews for a day or two.

That said, I've never had the SSL problem. I once tried SSL but saw little need/point.

I think it's a bug with their servers where they register you as still connected, the disconnecting bit is probably overzealous but a totally non-responding powered off router is the best way to convince it that you're no longer connected.

EDIT:

On a sidenote, I'd like to take this moment to reminisce. When usenet was purely about discussion and not furry sex stories.

I've been bumming (easy!) around on usenet since the early nineties and it has both changed lots and stayed remarkedly (spelling?) the same in a lot of ways. I remember messing around on it way back when on my Amiga, when trying to get lots of text to fit on a 640x256 display was a challenge in and of itself.. especially when the client I was using used a threaded view. (wish I could remember the name of the program I used)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.