As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I'm thinking about getting into comic books...

2»

• DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Beast dies.

That's not going to be true as of the next issue, I think.

Really? Goddammit.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    Beast dies.

Really? Goddammit.

Hmm, I was wrong. It's April's issue: http://marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6300

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    What the hell is there to think about? Go to the nearest comic shop, library or bookstore and start picking up stuff that piques your interest. The latter two are great for picking up collections, while comic shops will generally have everything under the sun for a newbie.

Stop it with these dumb recommendation threads where everyone recommends the same 10 titles over and over and over again, and just dive the fuck in. No one needs to tell you what to read and/or like, duderino.
    I would like to read Marvel,

The fuck you do. Get some DC into the mix, or I will haunt you 'til the end of time.

Terrorbyte on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You were being ironic, right?

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Magician was stupid. Ultimate X-Men has gotten dumb, here's to hoping it gets better. A few good and newish things that they did do though:

Gay Colossus.

Dazzler is a tasty blend of 616 Dazzler and 616 Jubillee.

Beast dies.

The Shi'ar are made to be way less stupid.

Longshot: terrorist villain.

Yeah, they need to get Vaughan or Bendis back on it, stat. Does Millar get some credit for Colossus? I don't really want to sift through the entire series right now.

P.S. Ultimate Longshot. Best Ultimate improvement?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really don't see the big deal about Colossus being gay. It's not like it changed his character that much. He'll just be shoving it up some guy's ass instead of Kitty's barely-legal ass.

I agree that Ultimate Dazzler is a big improvement over 616 Dazzler (though that'd hardly be difficult).

I don't know that I like Ultimate Longshot, but his deal makes more sense than the clone-gone-wrong from Mojoverse.

I don't like the Ultimate Shi'ar. Frankly, I think the Ultimate version of Phoenix (which they're an intimate part of) is even dumber than 616.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really don't see the big deal about Colossus being gay. It's not like it changed his character that much. He'll just be shoving it up some guy's ass instead of Kitty's barely-legal ass.

I agree that Ultimate Dazzler is a big improvement over 616 Dazzler (though that'd hardly be difficult).

I don't know that I like Ultimate Longshot, but his deal makes more sense than the clone-gone-wrong from Mojoverse.

I don't like the Ultimate Shi'ar. Frankly, I think the Ultimate version of Phoenix (which they're an intimate part of) is even dumber than 616.

The importance of Colossus being gay is that it was hinted at throughout the entire series, so it was a fun, natural reveal, and the fact that he's actually a high profile character, unlike, say... Northstar. It's the kind of risk in "making Ultimate different" that Ultimate X-Men really needs.

I'm sad to say that I actually like regular Dazzler. She was in that X-Men pilot from the 90s. I used to watch that a lot as a kid. I kind of consider those people to be the main X-team, sadly...
    This Dazzler is pretty cool, too. Different in a good, modern way.

If you ignore the backstory, Ultimate Longshot is very similar to regular Longshot, so I was totally not expecting him to be a bad guy. When he turned, I was taken for a loop by my expectations. It was cool. Being drawn by Stuart Immonen doesn't hurt, either.

I agree with you about the Phoenix, but the Shi'ar is so much better if it's just humans. It's less... space operatic with bug-eyed space ships taking Professor X off into space for long spans of time.
    ...I really want to see Ultimate Gladiator, though.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Beast dies.

NOOOO!!!! Why doesn't anyone tell me this shit?

But Kitty's barely-legal ass is fucking hot. Don't deny it.

Me Too! on
  • Magus DarkstarMagus Darkstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why does Marvel keep letting Kirkman ruin Ultimate X-Men?

Also, pick up the Avengers Disassembled trade, then both Young Avengers trades.

Magus Darkstar on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DC > Marvel for one very specific reason, Vertigo.

go read Fables, immediately.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like horror flicks and H.P. Lovecraft.

In a comic shop this afternoon (looking to pick up Buffy as a surprise for my wife...don't tell her!), and I saw a metric fuck-ton of "(something) of the Living Dead" books as well as a "Fall of Cthulhu" one.

Are any of them worth my time/money?

AnakinOU on
  • Magus DarkstarMagus Darkstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know about Lovecraft, but if you're into zombies, "The Walking Dead" is one of the best books out there.

Hell, even if you aren't into zombies, it's one of the best books out there.

Magus Darkstar on
    edited March 2007
    I have Fall of Cthulhu #1 around but I haven't read it yet

It looks pretty, though

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's a glut of zombie books in comics right now. The Walking Dead is the gold standard among these. It's the "HBO ongoing series" of zombie books, whereas the others range in quality from "shitty, made for Sci-Fi channel" to "decent if it was a movie". IDW has you covered on that score, and you can even find comic versions of Shaun of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2007
    Also, Marvel Zombies, and the Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness crossover.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2007
    The whole thing with Zombie Pym and Black Panther was the creepiest thing ever

Anyway, I just finished Fall of Cthulhu #1, and I really liked it. The writing is absolutely amazing. My one problem is that the art has that whole unfinished sketchbook quality that I find kind of annoying... but I guess I'll get used to it

Obvious choice for Lovecraft lovers, but I wouldn't bother if you're not

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm optimistic (perhaps foolishly) that with the success of Planet Hulk they will consider putting out more of the hardcovers to fill in the gaps between Vol 1 you listed above and Planet Hulk. According to the TBP list Volume 3 was announced and then cancelled, and they made a statement that no more hardcovers would be produced. Fingers crossed they will reconsider now (presumably) more people are going to be interested in collecting the previous Hulk books.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I figure I'll ask this question in here as opposed to a new thread since it relates to the topic.

I haven't read comics in years, most of the stuff I'm familiar with is Marvel during the mid-late 80s to the mid-late 90s. The whole Civil War arc has peaked my interest, along with the trade thing going on that I just learned about recently. Much like the OP, I wanna get back into comic books. Civil War seems to have changed a lot in the Marvel universe, and I wanna see how some of my old favorites are doing these days.

My question is, out of the timeline: build up to Civil War--Civil War--aftermath(which I guess is now) what specific trades would you guys recommend are the best to pick up? Even if the stuff isn't about the Civil War but came out around the same time. Thanks.

Octopus Melody on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey mod! Can we get this thread stickied to replace the one that disappeared after the changeover? If I remember correctly, Manifest decided that a thread with this question comes up so often that it should just be stickied for folks who come into this forum precisely to ask this question.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My question is, out of the timeline: build up to Civil War--Civil War--aftermath(which I guess is now) what specific trades would you guys recommend are the best to pick up? Even if the stuff isn't about the Civil War but came out around the same time. Thanks.
    You might want to look out for Civil War: Battle Damage Report which has either just come out or is just about to. It will give you a general overview of what's happened to the major MU players as a result of Civil War; it's a single issue comic rather than a trade. As for the Road to Civil War and War itself, trades of most of that will be coming out very soon.

Wildcat on
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a follow up question. Are there any websites or anything that list currently in print & available trades of comics, specifically Marvel? I tried googling around and checking the Marvel website but I had trouble finding a list. The best I could come across were usermade lists of "best comic trades" on Amazon. I'm just curious about seeing whats available.

Octopus Melody on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So on friday I bought my first ever comics(buffy season 8 and the first two Gunslingers) as well as both the Runaways hardcovers that are out.

I wanted to inquire as to what the best Deadpool collection that my money should be spent on.

The comic book store is decently far away and I won't have a chance to go back until monday.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    the only deadpool collections out right now are the collections of cable/deadpool, I believe

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    there's some really old ones you can find, if you get lucky. i have a trade of the first deadpool mini from the 90s.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited March 2007
    If you want anything older than Cable & Deadpool you'd have to hit up eBay

His '97 series is really hard to find

C&D isn't a bad way to start, but later arcs really get heavy on the lame technobabble

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Caio ThorCaio Thor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You can read 300 from Frank Miller and Alan Moore's novels are always great (there's even a study based on "Watchmen"). Thes comic book can descrive a little about "Graphic Violence"

Caio Thor on
    edited March 2007
    Caio Thor wrote: »
    You can read 300 from Frank Miller and Alan Moore's novels are always great (there's even a study based on "Watchmen"). Thes comic book can descrive a little about "Graphic Violence"

I've actually been meaning to pick up "Watchmen." Might do that next weekend when I visit my local shop.

Me Too! on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a follow up question. Are there any websites or anything that list currently in print & available trades of comics, specifically Marvel? I tried googling around and checking the Marvel website but I had trouble finding a list. The best I could come across were usermade lists of "best comic trades" on Amazon. I'm just curious about seeing whats available.

Check this website out. It doesn't specifically state whats in print, but it is a pretty comprehensive (and obscenely useful) list of trades which have been published.

http://tplist.millarworld.net/index.html

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg