As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] A bundle of sticks wordfilters to silly goose

DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
It's all about the spaceships.
JOIN MERCH INDUSTRIAL OR THE DEEPCROWS HERE

splashggp.jpg

EVE is an oddity in the modern day MMO market. Popular MMOs are polished, tightly controlled masterpieces of design; where the player triumphs over strong NPC bosses with the aid of their friends using specific means provided to them by the developers. These majestic fantasy worlds are carefully watched and protected from troublemakers who would ruin another's experience.

Not so with EVE. From small, very troubled beginnings, CCP slowly created a rich and complex sandbox universe, filled with deep and compelling PvP combat and a robust player economy. They made a world where players must use their wits to prosper or else become prey to others. Griefing, scamming, and even prostitution is permitted as long as it occurs within the game. Which occurs often, as the learning curve for EVE is a cliff- there are novels worth' of required reading to avoid learning lessons that end with you looking at your wrecked ship from your capsule.

The game world itself spans hundreds of solar systems, divided into several regions of varying security level from 1.0 to 0.0 -- the former being highly patrolled by NPC police, the latter being lawless territory for the largest player corporations to war over. It would take several hours at best to travel from one side of the galaxy to another.

Not only is the game world vast in a spatial sense, but in a player sense. Eve Online is entirely unsharded - every single player shares the same game world, with between 15,000 - 55,000 players online at any given time.

The mechanics of Eve, allowing player corporations to claim sovereignty over 0.0 space, has led to the emergence of player-created geopolitics that, for many, are far more interesting than the game content itself.

Space is divided into three general security levels on a scale from 1.0 to 0.0. 1.0 to 0.5 is considered high security Empire space, where players who commit aggressive acts against other players will swiftly and inevitably have their ships destroyed by the NPC police organization CONCORD. High security space is not a TOTAL guarantor of safety, but it's close.

0.4 to 0.1 is considered low security Empire space, where aggressive acts can take place without CONCORD retribution, but your personal security status will dive and automated turrets around stations and gates will open fire for a time.

0.0 is lawless space; there is absolutely no retribution for aggression, and most players consider it to be where the real meaty stuff takes place. It also has the best resources in terms of NPC bounties and asteroids to mine in the game. It's completely player-run. Players hold sovereignty over space, and players make the wars.

Now, let's get to the juicy bits. The current map representing alliance influence, updated daily here, has not changed much in the last couple months except for some aggressive jostling in the south and east.

The influence map is likely to change dramatically with the upcoming expansion: Dominion.

1zdbret.jpg

While still hazy on the details, it's understood that Dominion will decouple sovereignty from Player Owned Stations, make systems more difficult to defend and incentivize 0.0 by allowing player alliances to improve the economic potential of their systems. The intention is to compress the space large alliances hold and defend, allowing new smaller alliances into the 0.0 game.

Along with these sovereignty/0.0 changes comes the removal of Area of Effect doomsday weapons that titans currently enjoy abusing, turning them into focused shot capital destroyers.

capital_blog_pic1_branded_small.jpg

For more information about Titans and capital ships changes read the blog

Talk about EVE stuff here- possible mechanics / patch changes, war and politics, griefing and empire jihad, inane tidbits about what you did in Eve today, discussion of how awesome exotic dancers are, they're all fine here.

Newbies or non-players who like chatting about the game's politics or general news should feel free to hop in, but please keep newbie questions related to joining Merch Industrial to the thread linked at the top.

tf2_sig.png
DeadlySherpa on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All of the pictures and stills from this game are so pretty. Yet I cannot bring myself to play it. I tried the trial a few years ago and I was bored silly. I hear they have made the newbie era much more user friendly, but my first experience was such a bad one that I just haven't been able to get motivated to try again.

But like I say, the pictures are gorgeous.

Lucascraft on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All of the pictures and stills from this game are so pretty. Yet I cannot bring myself to play it. I tried the trial a few years ago and I was bored silly. I hear they have made the newbie era much more user friendly, but my first experience was such a bad one that I just haven't been able to get motivated to try again.

But like I say, the pictures are gorgeous.

EVE Online is a team game. Always has been, always will be. It is *not* boring if you have several friends you generally enjoy hanging out with on voip, regardless of what you're doing. It's a great game to give a group of people something to do. It's a rather crummy game to play if it's just you even if you're multi-screening.

And they have improved the starting experience.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Playing this game with friends is a must, it was so much fun cruising around with homies when SE++ got into this for a few weeks

The Black Hunter on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I shit up corp chat and local erryday.

Also. Blue dot.

Brian on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a recent newbie at this, there are some basic things to understand:

In EvE, there is no way to grind for power. You become good by waiting for skills. You can only grind for money, and money doesn't get you very far. (About 10 hours of salvaging behind other people have left me with more then I can spend on useful stuff right now. Later on, things get expensive.) You start out at the bottom of the chain, and while there's a role for everyone, you have to accept that your possible roles are mostly linked to the age of your character.

EvE is a bit more serious business than most MMO's, because things can really be lost or gained, and it all depends on the entire team doing their job. Combined with the EvE metagame, this means that leaders have real responsibilities, and the rules are there for a reason. Right now the game is pretty quiet, but it seems the expansion launches in two or three months, and it'll probably create chaos one way or the other.

The EvE tutorial has been improved to at least give you a glimpse of all the game mechanics, but the game is complex, and riddled with game specific lingo. So if you play this, ask your brains out what the hell people are blabbering about, because often you won't have a clue about half the words in a sentence.

Oh and if you join, come to 0.0 space. While the rookie channel may warn you it's really dangerous, it's mostly really profitable.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Posting in the new thread. Even though right now I am about <----> far from resubbing WoW and going fuck eve.

Teslan26 on
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Poast, Blue Dot, catchphrase here, etc.

Val on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    pretty excited to see how the new patch will change everything. I expect some good fights.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Varega wrote: »
    pretty excited to see how the new patch will change everything. I expect some good fights.

Got a link to patch info?

And as a follow-up question, when are they adding the ability to have your avatar walk around in game? I was thinking when that particular change hits the game that I would try it again. One of my biggest complaints from my last time playing is that it all felt so impersonal. I didn't really care for the concept of "you are your ship" because your ship changed all the time, so there was no sense of permanency. Being able to do tasks as your avatar might add just the personal touch that I was looking for.

Lucascraft on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Varega wrote: »

Got a link to patch info?

And as a follow-up question, when are they adding the ability to have your avatar walk around in game? I was thinking when that particular change hits the game that I would try it again. One of my biggest complaints from my last time playing is that it all felt so impersonal. I didn't really care for the concept of "you are your ship" because your ship changed all the time, so there was no sense of permanency. Being able to do tasks as your avatar might add just the personal touch that I was looking for.

Well, they are bridging that in some sense.

Dust 514 will be a first person console shooter that will be joined with EVE (in the respect that the battles in one game will affect the other and supposedly pilots will be able to contract the services of gropos). So you would be able to participate in New Eden in a walking-around way, just... as a gropo.

As for the full ambulation release... that's still way out on the horizon, although my blind guess is that there will never be one executable that does both.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New thread, sweet.

I can't wait for dominion as I've been spoiled by the chrome browser on sisi.

Losing ratting ships while watching youtube here i come! :^:

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EVE really is the kind of game where you need to have something else going on to not be bored most of the time.

So a good IGB would be an excellent thing.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So...I have a character with some 25 million SP, trained to rain down death and destruction all over the place. I was a pirate for a while, but then got quite bored. I'm broke (will probably fix that on my own), and have -9.9 sec status from all my rampant killing.

I am pretty sure I am just a few skill books away from dreads for Minimatar...I was thinking about restarting my Eve addiction...but wanted to know a little more about Merchi if its still kicking...

Anon the Felon on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It kicks.

Teslan26 on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    once dominion is released I'll probably get back in to this more instead of just training skills.

I'll be flying an ishtar soon.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited September 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    It kicks.

Any information? I mean, I'm just a regular joe who just wants to play and kill people.

If I have some kind of lengthy application process to prove dumb stuff, I'd rather not. I just don't want to try and raise my sec status to play, so I need some nullsec buddies.

Anon the Felon on
    edited September 2009
    The link in the op pretty much sums up MerchI, but for a tl;dr

We live in delve, delve is goons, merchi are p. chill. We own 3 station and our own const. in southern delve and everyone pretty much does whatever they like.

Large scale 0.0 warfare is mostly on hiatus until dominion is released in ~ 2 months, but there is always some fun to be had in homeland defense. Once dominion drops though, life is going to get really crazy quick as everyone rushes delve to take us out before we fortress up.

To apply, just hit up on of our offices and include your forum name.

Commissar Courthouse takes care of the rest, though your account looks good in the age and post category compared to most spies.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Sounds good Avynte, I'll have to resub and cruise down to the offices and apply tonight/tomorrow.

Anon the Felon on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait for the Dominion release. I'll probably re-sub up for that. It'll be neat to see what this does to the political landscape and how CCP works this into the in-game lore.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    VÃ l wrote: »
    Why would you battle at a planet?

Stations are built at planets, and they might move moons somewhat closer to planets. Plus gates are sometimes near a planet. That pretty much covers every battle location besides belts from when I was in IAC.

Woggle on
    edited September 2009
    I hope they allow dreadnaughts and special battleship weapons to bombard planets as part of the EvE/DUST interaction. Bombarding a planet should provide allied forces with an offensive benefit or reduce any defensive benefits of foes on the planet.

SkyCaptain on
    edited September 2009

I've had battles at planets where where we caught people who were warping away from the main fight, or just hotdropping fools that accidentally warped there.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Avynte wrote: »

I've had battles at planets where where we caught people who were warping away from the main fight, or just hotdropping fools that accidentally warped there.

Lost my Domi to Goons at a planet on Saturday night. It was pretty hilarious to watch 30+ Domi's try to run from carriers as they warped in. Unfortunately I was bumped out of alignment in the scramble to get away. :)

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So how much rage are the MS pilots experiencing right now? Fighterbombers look cool tho as long as you can still assign them to inties to mini-hotdrop assholes

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    So how much rage are the MS pilots experiencing right now? Fighterbombers look cool tho as long as you can still assign them to inties to mini-hotdrop assholes

Rage about what? I can't read any Eve related stuff at work. Blocked under Games category. :?

SkyCaptain on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    theyre basically revamping the role a mothership plays. and renaming them Supercarriers.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    theyre basically revamping the role a mothership plays. and renaming them Supercarriers.

I expect MS will actually start moving, since they will become an important part of 0.0 fleets once again.

Ethea on
    edited September 2009
    Word from the test server is that the new fighterbombers are absolute rape.

Even if they can't be assigned to other ships, the hp buff means you'll have more time to rage on TS when you get tackled on the field. The Nyx for example received close to triple the armor. That brings it really close to the hp of the new titans as well.

It's good to see CCP not bringing out these changes pre-nerfed, though we'll see how things shape up.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I just finished training for stealth bombers. I know they are useless, but they still seem like they could provide me some fun.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So I just finished training for stealth bombers. I know they are useless, but they still seem like they could provide me some fun.

They are far from useless, and a ton of fun to fly in packs.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SB's are situational. Solo they can only kill shit that can't shoot back, in packs they are pretty dangerous as long as no one targets them. Good for camping jump bridges, but goons like to fit out rifters specifically to kill SB's that do that. In a gang, you would be more effective and useful to the gang in just about anything else. i.e. an intie.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey for you guys that have been addicted to this for a while and are looking to get a second account to haul/scout/mine/spy on goons/whatever, CCP is bringing back the "Power of 2" promotion. Basically it's for brand new (no prior trial or inactive accounts) 2nd/3rd/XXth accounts, you can get 6 months play time for $49.95.

I didn't see anything on their frontpage, but I got this info from the newsletter email. Maybe they'll post it publicly soon(tm).

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • GarosGaros Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I've been playing this game for a few months doing mostly trading. I have built up a little bit of ISK and a couple of days ago I thought I'd give PVP a try by starting a new character and keeping the older one to make ISK.

So far I have killed only a couple of miners in hisec by stealing their ore. I quite like this blowing up peoples ships thing but I can't find many people that are reasonable targets. I flew around in Molden Heath but the entire region was mostly empty. Does anyone know if factional warfare is any good for pilots aren't completely competent at PVP? I read some of the posts on the warfare and tactics board on the EVE O forums and it seems that FW is not very good at the moment. What should an inexperienced PVP pilot do at this stage?

Garos on
    edited September 2009
    Ahhh Molden Heath....I used to wreck up that place with my friends!

I have been really pondering my return and decided it is for the best, when I play Eve I tend to get totally involved in it...So, here's to hoping that Merchi will accept my application quickly...

Anon the Felon on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I keep debating coming back, but I'm enjoying WAR a little too much to justify it right now. When is dominion due out?

Dark_Side on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's listed as "Winter 2009." Over here, there's only 10 days of winter left in 2009, but i'm not sure they mean that.

Also, surprise server crash was interesting.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Server crashed right as rats warped to the belt i was salvaging in...

...nice!

Euphoriac on
    edited September 2009
    Garos wrote: »
    Does anyone know if factional warfare is any good for pilots aren't completely competent at PVP? I read some of the posts on the warfare and tactics board on the EVE O forums and it seems that FW is not very good at the moment. What should an inexperienced PVP pilot do at this stage?
    Go for a 0.0 corp, that's where the real fun is. If you want to try the faction war thing, join the Minmatar Militia. Decent folk, decent fights, and they do a lot of PVP in Providence so you get some 0.0 fun as well.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited September 2009
    Well, I got 18 million Isk to my name, a shuttle, and a dream!

I dropped my app to Merchi, soon as I get accepted I'll boogy on down and get everything running...out of curiosity, will I need my second account in order to move stuff from empire?

when I was an active pirate I had to have a non blinky hauler...it was rather annoying...

Anon the Felon on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless you're a ninja you're going to get blown up before you get anywhere near our space.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.