As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FORUM UPGRADE] Discuss

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ramius wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    So, what is yahooapis.com, and why is No Script asking me if I want to allow it when I view the forums?

Yahoo makes a javascript library called YUI, and it is used in this forum software. In the past, it was hosted here on the forums webserver. Yahoo also hosts it on their own servers, and webpages can just link to it. This is a win for the end-user, because it is more likely to come from their cache, and a win for the webhost, because less bandwidth required. So I opted to turn that remote-hosting feature on. I knew it would throw NoScript warnings, but I figured anyone savvy enough to run NoScript would understand what was going on.

That was the sort of thing I figured it would be. Just curious as it wasn't a PA address.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    These profile comment conversations: do we get alerted if there are replies, or do they pop up in the UCP like subscribed threads are?

Pop up in the UCP.

Also like everyone rediscovering the buddy list feature

FyreWulff on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Following the upgrade, the NoScript addon for Firefox seems to be alerting me to a new thing. It's coming from yahooapis.com. What's the word on this?

Edit - HURRRRR ALREADY ANSWERED. <.<

Henroid on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Following the upgrade, the NoScript addon for Firefox seems to be alerting me to a new thing. It's coming from yahooapis.com. What's the word on this?

.. did you read three posts above you? It's part of the forum software.

FyreWulff on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

.. did you read three posts above you? It's part of the forum software.

I'm sleepy, bite me FyreWulff. D:

Henroid on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    These profile comment conversations: do we get alerted if there are replies, or do they pop up in the UCP like subscribed threads are?

Pop up in the UCP.

Also like everyone rediscovering the buddy list feature
    Ah, excellent. Thanks.

Cyvros on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited September 2009

Up at the top left of the page, where you used to click to get your private messages, there is a new link called "Your Notifications". If you click on that you should get a dropdown that tells you all sorts of activity such as friend requests, posts on your wall, private messages, social group stuff (social groups are currently disabled), etc.

Ramius on
    edited September 2009
    Oh wow, forums seem way faster than pre-upgrade now that I've allowed all the scripts. Twelve thumbs up.

Corvus on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tags are awesome, but is there anyway to actively filter the subforum with them? I know it's listed on the right column, but it might be nice, though probably not worth the extra work.

Also, only one thread it tagged awesome? really?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Can mods see who adds tags? Because people are already trolling with them.

This is the question I'm also curious about.

Henroid on
    edited September 2009

Up at the top left of the page, where you used to click to get your private messages, there is a new link called "Your Notifications". If you click on that you should get a dropdown that tells you all sorts of activity such as friend requests, posts on your wall, private messages, social group stuff (social groups are currently disabled), etc.
    That's odd, I haven't got that. I've still got "private messages" links all over the place (Tools menu, little status thingy on the top right and in the UCP).

Cyvros on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only way I can approve of these "tags" is if there is a feature to mark them as Terrible and enough votes will get the author jailed.

Zek on
    edited September 2009

yes they can.

Also, we can do a "global delete" of junk tags. so if someone painstakenly visits 50 threads to add the tag "cocks", I can uncheck the box next to cocks and make it disappear from all 50 threads at once.

Ramius on
    edited September 2009

That's odd, I haven't got that. I've still got "private messages" links all over the place (Tools menu, little status thingy on the top right and in the UCP).

Up top in the header, next to the "(Log Out)" link? You don't see something saying "Your Notifications"?

EDIT: nevermind, apparently it shows "Private Messages" until you have some actual notifications requiring attention.

Ramius on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

yes they can.

Also, we can do a "global delete" of junk tags. so if someone painstakenly visits 50 threads to add the tag "cocks", I can uncheck the box next to cocks and make it disappear from all 50 threads at once.

But then all of the D&D threads about cocks will be unindexed via tags :(

So, there will be tag pruning and etc.?

_J_ on
    edited September 2009
    Nope. :|

papms.png

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009

papms.png

wow, you've got some craziness happening on your end. The only cause I can think of is some proxy junk between you and the PA servers. Could possibly be browser related but I've never seen a browser that buggy before. You could try rebooting just to be safe.

EDIT: if you have something blocking the YUI javascript library, that could be to blame also, I suppose.

Ramius on
    edited September 2009
    It changes from "Private Messages" to "Your Notifications" with a couple small dropdown arrows next to it to specify when you have something waiting to happen.

Edit - For a second there I thought I was having the thing not show up for me either but there it is.

Henroid on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Remove the tags feature.

More is not better.

Weaver on
    edited September 2009
    Well, I was going to restart Chrome, clear my cache and all that jazz, but then it started crashing and it won't stop crashing, even after a reboot, and now I have managed to cripple my favourite browser. For about the seventeenth time.

Anyway, I pulled out Firefox and IE and I've got "Private Messages" in both. I've rebooted, I've used different browsers, I've cleared caches and things, I don't use a proxy or anything like that, and it's still rooted. :?

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009
    see Hendroid's message a couple posts above.

Ramius on
    edited September 2009
    it works for me. Anyone else it is not working for?

Ramius on
    edited September 2009
    Oh, whoops. I misread Henroid's post. Thanks, guys.

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009
    see Hendroid's message a couple posts above.

That alt account has long since been dead!

Henroid on
    edited September 2009

papms.png

wow, you've got some craziness happening on your end. The only cause I can think of is some proxy junk between you and the PA servers. Could possibly be browser related but I've never seen a browser that buggy before. You could try rebooting just to be safe.

EDIT: if you have something blocking the YUI javascript library, that could be to blame also, I suppose.

I have the same thing, and I've allowed yahooapis.com. Cleared the cache and it is still same as it ever was.

Corvus on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any chance the Tags list on a thread could be moved to appear below quick reply? Not a big deal, of course.

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2009
    I don't think they are obtrusive enough in their current position to warrant it.

Ramius on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

yes they can.

Is there anyway for forumers to report innappropriate tags, or maybe to have some kind of level of transparency, whereby regular people can see who gave a thread what tag? Removing some of the anonymity might prevent some folks from thinking they can get away with things.

I think tags can be a good thing, in general, I'm just curious about the ability to report extremely bad ones.

Evander on
    edited September 2009
    It's not quite as elegant as the "Report this post" button, but you can always PM a moderator of the forum about any inappropriate tags you see. They can definitely see who posted the tags and can hand out infractions as needed.

Ramius on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm on Chrome 3.0.195.21 and can't seem to edit tags nor click them. Same in Opera and Firefox. Any ideas?

Xeddicus on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, have we always been able to see our post edit history? Well, either way, that's neat.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

yes they can.

Can you do it for just that user? Because 'cocks' could be a very valid tag. Seriously though, I'm wondering because a useful tag in some situations could also be abuse in other situations.

L|ama on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's not quite as elegant as the "Report this post" button, but you can always PM a moderator of the forum about any inappropriate tags you see. They can definitely see who posted the tags and can hand out infractions as needed.

that works, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other button I was missing before taking that route.

Evander on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    I would at this point caution everyone that any of the new features may be removed in the next few weeks depending on how annoyed I get with them

Tube on
    edited September 2009
    for instance I became annoyed with the tagging system almost immediately and it is now shut off

Tube on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the tags ain't a bad idea but it's all about usage.

perhaps it could be relegated to the creator of the thread that way it's just one specific jackass abusing something instead of a bunch of eager kids scrambling to put "cuntslime" as a tag or something

i mean, it'd work on the same principle of the thread creator being able to change thread title i guess

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, but it seems like SE would be the place where tags would be most functional, because of constant topic changes, and that's where they're most likely to be abused.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited September 2009
    well, sure but if there's a few tags outlining the basics and the user is limited to that set amount with no switching out of tags it'd simply be a matter of looking for dumb or irrelevant tags

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited September 2009
    I have now methodically gone through and turned off everything.

Tube on
    edited September 2009
    but yeah, i was surprised it went that quickly, dang

Calamity Jane on