As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FORUM UPGRADE] Discuss

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    I am not a man who embraces change.

Tube on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I shouldn't click on the donate link in your sig?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have now methodically gone through and turned off everything.

I can has profile features?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there any chance of any sections being turned back on? Because I felt that visitor comments were pretty nice.

Leitner on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Is there any chance of any sections being turned back on? Because I felt that visitor comments were pretty nice.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I am not a man who embraces change.

You picked the wrong state to live in, then

I think tag abuse would have petered off in a day or two, but whatever

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Maybe. Some day.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    can someone try and add me as a friend, I want to know if that's still turned on

Tube on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    adding friends is turned off.

EDIT: though adding as a contact still seems to be on, like before.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    were these new little bits like the tags and the comments the sole additions to the forum?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you can mark someone as a friend when you try to add them to your contacts, though

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    were these new little bits like the tags and the comments the sole additions to the forum?
    Ramius answered that in SE++. There's also a lot of fixes and security updates.
    Ramius wrote:
    seriously, I don't get to easily choose the features I want in this software. If we want bug fixes and security updates, we need to take social networking crap that comes with it.

We CAN lock most all of that stuff down, and when tube gets here I won't be surprised if he makes me do exactly that, but I for one enjoy a bit of random clutter from time to time.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    adding as a contact is remaining on until I gather enough interest to find it and turn it off.

Tube on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd just like to throw in that the new features were kinda neat, but overall kinda unnecessary. The profile comment section would most likely lose its pizazz quickly, and I didn't even figure out what the Friends feature was for!

Tags were...iffy, I liked the concept, but I get uneasy when I start seein' new things floatin' around the thread I'm viewin'.

Obbi on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tags would be cool if they were limited in some way.

For example one time I was drunk and complained about the search function. Granted I'm drunk now but I won't create a thread about it like a jackass but it still kinda sucks. I think tags have potential, but people are dumb so there would have to be some sort of limitation as to who could create them, or just infract people who are retards with them.

But the facebook features like friends and comment walls I couldn't give two shits about.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome that edit history has been kept. Can anyone other than myself click the link to see the edits, or can you only see your own?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the tag system could work with some modifications and rules. Most people will follow the rules, and the rest could lose the ability to tag. Or they could be infracted. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    I think the tag system could work with some modifications and rules. Most people will follow the rules, and the rest could lose the ability to tag. Or they could be infracted. :)
    Do it the Google way. Same tag must be given by several different users (I'd say two to four) to actually show up.

No rubbish, and the system might actually work.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Awesome that edit history has been kept. Can anyone other than myself click the link to see the edits, or can you only see your own?

I can't see your edit history so I'm assuming the latter. Could it be possible to see anyone's edits in the future, though? I feel it would be useful.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to point out my enjoyment of the new profile features.

=/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    the tags ain't a bad idea but it's all about usage.

perhaps it could be relegated to the creator of the thread that way it's just one specific jackass abusing something instead of a bunch of eager kids scrambling to put "cuntslime" as a tag or something

i mean, it'd work on the same principle of the thread creator being able to change thread title i guess

I like this idea. I think the usefulness of tags is ambiguous at best; but it increases with an increase in tag quality, and I can see how over time it would make certain like-minded threads easier to find.
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Do it the Google way. Same tag must be given by several different users (I'd say two to four) to actually show up.

No rubbish, and the system might actually work.

This, though; aside from this sounding like a nightmare to get functional, I think all it would mean is that the more insightful tags would be replaced with the least creative of trolls.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not seeing these tags, where are they supposed to show up?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    They're turned off.

Tube on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You get a new feature on a highly-trafficked forum, people are going to play with it a lot at first. It's what happens.

I remember over at Fark, when the Ha Ha Guy became a meme, people would flood every single thread with it. Eventually a mod made a specialized thread titled something like 'Okay, dipshits, here's a Ha Ha Guy thread, get it all out of your system'. Everyone did. They calmed down soon afterward.

I'd just do that. Give it about a week, go 'here, play with it for a week and then we lay down the law'. The week should be enough time for everyone to get the silliness done and over with and for the mods to get a good idea of what exactly they're going to be dealing with.

The friends list, though, I'd keep that off. Just makes for cliquishness.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited September 2009
    Hi Gosling.

Between Tube and I, we have over a decade of experience administering high-traffic internet forums. I'm not saying we know everything, but the really basic stuff like what you describe is not something we are really in need of being informed about.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It seems odd that the xFire username is on one page of the profile when the info for PSN, XBL, Twitter etc is on another. Is this something that's easily altered or should I shut up about massively low-priority stuff?

Willeth on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited September 2009
    The xFire thing is a carry-over from the old profile fields implementation and I'm not positive it is even working properly. It might need to be pulled, but I need to see how many people are using it, first. Do you use it? I'm not sure what to do with it actually because I don't get the sense that xfire is the leading service for that sort of thing. Steam and mygamercard seem to be more popular around here.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think xfire was a big deal for a little while.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not really a PC man, but xFire seems to have been superseded by Steam and GFW - if a game isn't on one, it's on the other.

It's probably worth polling somewhere more visible, though.

Willeth on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ramius wrote: »
    The xFire thing is a carry-over from the old profile fields implementation and I'm not positive it is even working properly. It might need to be pulled, but I need to see how many people are using it, first. Do you use it? I'm not sure what to do with it actually because I don't get the sense that xfire is the leading service for that sort of thing. Steam and mygamercard seem to be more popular around here.

It worked before, but I don't think people really do Xfire anymore... I think Steam has pretty much usurped 70%+ of what XFire did.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

See, this is hilarious, because the friends list was there for years. People only noticed it when vBB redid the profile pages.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe tagging should require the same requirements as Report For Awesome?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

I'm pretty sure most of the abusers had 5-50k posts.

MKR on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »

See, this is hilarious, because the friends list was there for years. People only noticed it when vBB redid the profile pages.

Tt created confusion! It was dubbed as Friends in the older version for a while, which was just addin' a guy to the list. When this new version came around, Friends became "Contacts", and the new Friends was some sort of mutual acceptance thing I didn't really understand.

But naw, I don't think the friends list thing would've made for cliquishness. And that's a silly thing to worry about, anyway!

Obbi on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

I'm pretty sure most of the abusers had 5-50k posts.

1.Make it so that tags show their taggers names once moused over in a little drop down.
    2.Put a warning down next to that glorious, magic window that says offensive/frivolous tags are infraction worthy.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tagging in general seems like a nightmare to moderate, though. A tedious nightmare.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One thing I've noticed and like (if it hasn't been mentioned) is that the search feature now works on Chrome. Before, one click changed the page to the search page, instead of the drop down thing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, the Tools, thread tools, username and voting menus work now, too. :D

Cyvros on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately it means that you can't open someone's profile page in a new tab any more, which is a bit annoying.

L|ama on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Chrome seems to ignore middle-or ctrl-clicking links in those menus and just opens it in the current tab. Right-click, open in new tab still works, though.

Cyvros on