As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also hurray for sorcery buffs! Hurray!

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does this have a trial yet? 'cause it really needs one.

I checked the OP and didn't see anything regarding one, and as cool as this looks I don't wanna buy it to find out it will eat my computer alive.

interrobang on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The game's been live for less than three weeks. Probably gonna have to wait a bit for a trial unless they add an "invite a friend" thing.

Re: Might

Shockwave is probably the best AE power in the set.

Havoc Stomp is way expensive (although it looks like it may have been reduced) and often isn't enough to take down henchmen in one charge. Add in the knockback effect and that can be pretty frustrating.

Shockwave is more than strong enough to shut down henchmen, can turn off travel powers with the advantage, and knocks enemies to the ground after a full maintain. Downside is the recharge but I find it's usually fast enough for it to recharge just as I get to a second group of enemies.

Defenestrator on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Particle Mine - (slightly) Reduced damage, increased cost.

does.. does that mean it no longer has a 30 second cooldown? or is it more useless than ever before?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Build time questions!

I'm working on a Mainly-Ice build, that's going to throw in some Fire for flavour, as well as a few things that I think work with the concept. I mainly had a couple of questions on some powers. I'm always on a team with friends, so I don't need a defensive passive (got a Con-stacked Supernatural guy with decent Presence, Iron Cyclone, and the taunt advantage, I think).

Core powers: Ice Shards, Frost Breath (with 100% Chill Advantage), Shatter (with the 'doesn't always remove debuff' advantage), Ice Form.

I also have Ice Shield, but I'm told it's useless unless you rank it up, as Rank 1 (anything) Shield has the same damage reduction as Block.

I've picked up Drain Life (Rank 3) to use as for Single Target damage on the hardier dudes left from my AoE, and to top up my health if I need it, and also Roomsweeper, in case something breaks from the pack to beat on me. The fact that both of these attacks use the left arm, which is cybered up TO THE MAX on my character just makes it look cooler.

I was toying with Heat Wave instead of Drain Life for ST damage and a hold (which Ice lacks, other than advantaged Ice Burst, which I want to avoid because it's not great in our team), but the 20 second recharge and the fact that it seems to take a few seconds to hold something seemed non-optimal. I also tried Fireball and Fire Strike, but this was last night before the buffs, and I didn't like them so much.

Eventually, I'm hoping to pick up Thermal Reverberation and Flashfires (as Flashfires looks AWESOME and seems to apply Clinging Flames 100% of the time) for a nice instant AoE + energy recharge, something else that Ice lacks.

Currently picked The Hero base statline, superstats in Dex and Endurance (for high max energy, crits and Ice Form) and I'm boosting Ego and Presence with talents and equipment to help mainly with crit severity and aggro management. Any thoughts or observations to make? Other than Ice Shards being like the worst energy builder ever.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Mike Haggar is the best. I cannot believe I didn't think of that myself.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The drop rate of henchmen has gone down, from an average of ~19% to 6% chance of a drop per defeat.
    Eh? I wonder what magical server had a 20% drop rate on henchmen, because it certainly wasn't on the one I played on. Me and a friend spent an hour killing +3 mobs en mass a week ago in MC and got ~5 drops between us. And about a bubble's worth of XP. :P

[edit] Man, Ego Storm is going to be even more awesome now.

Glal on
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Semper Fi reporting for Duty!

semperfi.jpg

Paying homage to...

89749-40992-gung-ho_large.gif

Damn, just realized that I have to get a bulkier belt. Oh well, as they say in the business, we'll fix it in post!

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have played maybe a few hours since release due to life taking over. Made me a sad panda. BUT! I handed my notice in at work on Monday, five years to the day that I started there and walked out at 14:00 on Friday a free man. That means for the next five weeks all I have to do is eat and play Champions. Five weeks. It's like having a summer break...except it's practically autumn. Not directly related to Champions I know, but it makes me oh so happy.

More directly related: Anyone using a 360 controller having issue interacting with things? If there is just one thing to interact with, say an NPC, then it's fine. I press up and then A to interact and all is well. However, if there are multiple things, such as several loot piles, I press up and it give the option to press A and cycle through said intractable items but pressing A does nothing, all I can do is press B to exit out of it.

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    looks like a green gay biker

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's sort of the point.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you have a list of battle crys for him?

"Who wants a mustache ride?"

"Got tickets to the gun show? *Flex*"

Fatgoat87 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    You missed a useful link.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=69342

It's a thread with all the various weapon models and how the 4 color selections correspond.

JustinSane07 on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I can't afford the game right now, but the character creator is a game in and of itself. For this guy I went the Spirit of Vengeance throughout the ages look. He was a Spirit during the War of Independence and the Colonials call him The Spirit of Liberty

Costume_Dahmoon_TheSpiritofLiberty_.jpg

Probably make him Fire and single sword, if they have a cutlass or something close, just for the sake of the character.

Wait, can you use a character creator without owning the game? I'm holding off on the game as well, but being able to make characters would be pretty cool.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munitions doesn't seem to feel right to me. I prefer my little level 11 single sword dude. Is there any way to send money over to other characters?

Rizzi on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if you're not in a SG, the SG bank lets you store cash, and you can remove that cash from an alt that isn't in an sg.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    you re-skin my zangief tribute and think im going to keep playing your game?

go fck yourselves.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    you re-skin my zangief tribute and think im going to keep playing your game?

go fck yourselves.

What's this now?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More directly related: Anyone using a 360 controller having issue interacting with things? If there is just one thing to interact with, say an NPC, then it's fine. I press up and then A to interact and all is well. However, if there are multiple things, such as several loot piles, I press up and it give the option to press A and cycle through said intractable items but pressing A does nothing, all I can do is press B to exit out of it.

Yes, same thing here. That and there is no way to use your equipment/quest items. I just use the mouse when I have to. While annoying it is sooo much fun to play with the controller I can't imagine playing any other way at this point.

Accualt on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cleaning up the Streets.
    Delivering What Biselle Can't
    mayor01.jpg
    Mike Haggar for Millenium City Mayor 2010

mayor02.jpg

I have no idea how to make a might build, suggestions? Here is the rough sketch I've got so far:
    The Mayor: Level 15 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Strength
    Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo
    Level 5: Mighty Leap
    Level 5: Superjump
    Level 8: Invulnerability
    Level 11: Uppercut
    Level 14: Enrage

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero
    Level 6: Mighty
    Level 9: Paramilitary Training
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Jack Of All Trades

Take Roomsweeper instead of Mighty Leap. You can take Mighty Leap later, but having the AoE damage from Roomsweeper is something you will enjoy.

Pony on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    do pet builds still suck? I was so hoping for a toon with an army of pets to kick everything's ass, but instead I have an army of pets that nibble everything gently.

DiscoZombie on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah I couldn't resist. I enjoyed CoX, and it seems this is pretty much better in every way. Time to have fun with the no doubt extensive character creator.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That guy looks like he has a bra for one breast. HOT.

Energeno on
    edited September 2009
    So where is the equivalent of the WoW auction house in this game? I crafted a couple things and I'd like to sell them.

JustinSane07 on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's an auction house in Millenium City Renaissance Center. It's the building whose interior looks like a stock trading office. I can't speak to how good it is, in my experience, prices were WAYYYY to high for everything, but it's there.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Auction House is going to take a few months to be useful. Cryptic's still futzing around with the economy (there's a patch on the Test server that drastically changes the economic balance) so I give it a few months before it levels out and starts becoming a place you can actually buy and sell useful things

Pony on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony! I cannot find our FPS control thing in the old thread. Please to be reposting if you have it handy. :)

(Also should be in OP?)

Akinos on
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You mean this one?
    Pony wrote:
    How to play Champions Online, the Pony Way:

Step 1. Go to Control under Options and select First Person Shooter controls, and Shooter keybinds

Step 2. Manually adjust the controls like so:

Face offscreen target - OFF
    Tab Targeting - Camera Center Out
    Reset Inactive Tab Target - ON
    Click unselects target - ON
    Unselect Offscreen Targets - OFF
    Auto Target Prioty - Closest to Camera Center
    Visible Auto Target - ON
    Only Attack if Target is Selected - OFF
    Select Auto Target on Attack - OFF
    Melee Can Ignore Selected Target - ON
    Assist Target on Attack - ON
    Never Auto-Attack Objects - OFF
    Target Threatening Enemies - OFF
    Select Attacker if Attacked - ON
    Stop Moving When Interacting - ON
    Auto-Attack - Maintain

Then go into Keybinds, and change the following:

Set mouse-look toggle to Numpad Enter, instead of Right Click Drag
    Set Right Click Drag as an alternate key for Block.

Congrats, you are now playing like it's a real video game instead of WoW!

NEVER TOUCH THE TAB KEY AGAIN. In fact, I recommend disabling it entirely.

You target people by pointing the center of your screen at them. You play with mouse-look toggled on, turning it off only to interact with windows or your inventory.

Hell, turn on the reticule if you have issues knowing where the center of your screen is (not a problem for me and I find the reticule distracting so I leave it off)

Hold left-click to use your energy builder, right click to block, WASD to move, and the normal number keys to use your powers. Use E (not Z) to interact with NPCs or objects.

You are now playing a real game.

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    edited September 2009
    Can I not mail resources between characters? I can't seem to figure out how.

JustinSane07 on
  • PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Oe3KezBUU

Here's the video from the previous thread too.

Phos on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can I not mail resources between characters? I can't seem to figure out how.

nope, no way to yet. you can use a SG bank to transfer though, if you have access to resources on both characters. (or i think if neither of them are in an SG)

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm using a Saitek Cyborg v3 controller, which comes with complete keybinding software, so you can set everything to keyboard equivalents. It's even got options for the analog sticks to set directions to correspond to keys and the mouse as well.

My controls are:
    Left Stick: WASD
    Right stick: Mouse
    Face buttons, L1, R1: Jump (on X) and the other 5 buttons as Numbers 1-5, which are linked to those slots on the power tray.
    L2/R2: Ctrl and Shift (which is also block). Using those as shift keys plus 1-5 gives me the full set of power slots.
    DPad: Z, Tab, Alt, and X: Z is the general interact button, I've got Tab Targetting if I need it, Alt plus the number keys gives me the Device slots, and X is for toggling between mouse cursor and not
    Select and Start: M and Esc, so I can quickly hit the map or go into options/quit.

I've got the whole FPS scheme setup, so it controls like an action game. If I need to interact with things, I hit down on the DPad (X) to switch to cursor.

One other thing I've got set is the "always face camera" Off and I toggled Free Camera on as well, so character movement and the camera are unlinked. This way it plays like a third person action-style game, where my character runs in any direction, and I manually turn the camera to face whichever way I want. Plus this way makes it easier to spin the camera around to look at me character.

Dartboy on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alrighty, I've updated the OP a bit. Split guide section out of useful links and added weapon model and FPS mode guides.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Still missing the P.A.Joes guild.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited September 2009
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    Still missing the P.A.Joes guild.

I thought that was just a gimmick guild, but if you give me the info (theme, requirements, whatever), I'll add it.

Tag on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Really, are they all not gimmick guilds?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, what, are gimmick guilds not "good" enough to show up on the OP? Sheesh.

So far, we've got PACT, which is the "main" guild, plus a few other offshots, because PACT gets full really fast. I don't see why they shouldn't all be mentionned, with a little tagline as to their theme.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    P.A. joes is a gi joes guild. you need a theme and a codename to join. thats pretty much it.

For instance im an homage to snake eyes called harrier.

we got a coldweather sniper called ice job, underwater combat veterinarian called sea biscuit, etc.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited September 2009
    Really, are they all not gimmick guilds?

Well from my perspective there are the general PA guilds that anyone can join just for knowing about PA (PACT, 5th Beacon), and then there are the offshoot theme guilds like P.A. Joe and your Spy guild.

I honestly haven't really kept track of the offshoots, and I didn't really think that people who weren't already participating in PA Chat would really be involved in them, so I didn't list them in the OP. Regardless, if anyone has a themed guild they would like me to add, just post the: Name, Theme, Requirements. So for example (and correct me if I'm wrong P.A. Joe's):

P.A. Joes
    Theme: GI Joe Spoof, fighting Viper
    Requirements: Most members are spoofs/homages to actual GI Joes, but any basic soldier theme that has a name with latent homoerotic undertones is acceptable.

Not trying to start a drama war, just trying to keep the post neat and organized ;)

Tag on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, am I just not doing something right, or despite what it says in the character creator can you not color the inside and outside of capes/trenchcoats independently? Because it has options for it, but they don't actually do anything.

Dartboy on
This discussion has been closed.